Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
Are there any recommendations for water heating elements? I just got a Dorkfood PID and was thinking, instead of using the crockpot I've been using. I've seen some builds with things like Norpro heating elements, pre-built PIDS and pumps to circulate water, which look kind of fun. Most of the immersion elements seem like they burn out pretty quickly, even the Norpro elements, some even after a few hours of prolonged use. I haven't seen any info in the thread relating to that, but I might have missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

No Wave posted:

Honestly, I'd return it and get one of the $200 puddlers instead. The DorkFood made more sense when the poly pro was the cheapest circulator out there.

Any reason outside of convenience? It could be a fantasy world, but wouldn't ~$20 worth of heating elements and a ~$15 dollar pump do the same thing?

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

deimos posted:

You need a PID controller, or an arduino and SSR and programming chops. The real magic is the control feedback loop, not the heating element or pump.

e: DERP, didn't see the context of your post.

Honestly, just get the integrated package, most heating elements like that break down very often, the pumps might last longer but finding one that won't break down at higher SV temps is going to be hard (or expensive).

Right on. I guess I'll just keep with the crock pot for the time being and then possibly upgrade later. I think I was looking to make the DVS into a more permanent solution than it can be.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

No Wave posted:

I thought you had the possibility of returning the DorkFood - if not, nm, someone else will have to chime in as have no experience in the matter.

The SVS didn't have a circulating element either and the bottom-heating nature of it apparently renders it somewhat unnecessary. The same may be true of the crock pot, so it may work just fine.

I think I'll just keep with the simple stuff and look into more advanced later. I'm still getting used to all of it. Thank you very much for the advice, though! This thread was a big deciding factor in trying this whole shebang.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Hed posted:

I use a bucket heater like this one to heat my bath since I decided to upgrade from the Norpro elements; I've SV'd 3-4 nights a week for 2 years now and it works great.

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! I saw that on Amazon and wasn't sure. Do you use a pump to circulate water, as well? How much water can it heat?

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

MeKeV posted:

Has anyone come across, or compiled, a decent set of "sous vide for convenience" type recipes. Along the lines of the curry in a bag mentioned a few pages a go.

I'd love to be able to bulk prep for the week, either pre cooking at the weekend and chill or sticking in a bag ready to puddle the morning of. But I've not had enough puddling practise yet, so wondering if there's some tried and tested meals in a bag?

It isn't very inventive, but vacuum sealed stuff from the grocery store works. I try the stuff at Trader Joe's and it's worked well, just don't use glue sealed stuff.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
Silly question, but for container depth, are you guys resting the immersion circulators on the bottom directly, or raising it up? I have a Sansaire and have been keeling it off the bottom, but it means a pretty deep pot to use.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
Ah, a steamer rack, don't know why I didn't think of that. I was worried about starving it. Thanks!

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Phanatic posted:

I've got the Anova unit and love it. I'm soon to be moving into a house with some actual kitchen counter space. And drawers and shelves to keep poo poo in. So instead of leaving a pot of water sitting on the stovetop with the Anova clamped to it, I'd like to get some Cambro or similar and do the dremel trick to the lid.

Anyone have a good idea which size/shape would be a good fit? Since you've only got so far between the max/min fill lines, wider and broader's going to be better than taller and narrower, up to a point.

I got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a lid for it. Works pretty well, plus I can store a bunch of other stuff in it when not in use. I need to put a little plastic wrap over the open portion of the lid to let the Sansaire fit, but it loses very little water over long cooks, and it doesn't get hot so you can move it while it's going. If that's your jam.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

a foolish pianist posted:

Seriously, just get a plastic cooler. Cheaper, way more efficient, multi-purposed. There's zero reason to use a cambro or a cambro-type product - they're inferior to coolers in every respect for sous vide.

Better lid, I don't need to find a hole-saw to cover it, doesn't look like poo poo in my kitchen? I took a look at that route, but I like the Cambro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

novamute posted:

Is there much benefit to doing sous vide for baby back ribs in place of or in conjunction with smoking on the grill? Anyone tried it?

I've done a dry rub for 48 hours and finished them on a hot grill for about 20 minutes and they came out pretty great. The dry rub got all into everything while it cooked, and it gives a nice reduction for sauce after.