Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Mikey Purp posted:

For those of you who own Keller's Under Pressure, is this the kind of book that would be helpful to the home cook who owns an Anova and wants to use his puddle machine for mostly simple weekday preparations, or would it be cozying up on my bookshelf next to the Alinea cookbooks? If so, any other recommendations?

It's nice to flip through and put on a coffee table, but I wouldn't recommend it for recipes, especially not for weekday preparations. Douglas Baldwin's book is not bad if you can get it on the cheap (otherwise just stick to his web site).

For weekday stuff, just learn how to cook each meat properly (time and temp) and then make whatever sauces/toppings you would have before. Most stuff comes down to reducing the cooking liquid into a pan sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Heran Bago posted:

I was doing short ribs in the anova and one of the bags with a small bit of air in it floated and rested on the heating element. A punctured bag in my kitchen!? Hope I can clean its heating and circulating element easily enough.

Weigh down your bags.

The dog really enjoyed it.

Did the bag go into the slits along the side? That's lovely luck...

I use the rack from my old sous vide supreme.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
All over this because gently caress torches. I've never been truly happy with how well they (don't) work.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Evi|Sycho posted:

I recently impulse-purchased a Sous Vide Supreme Demi without doing my research and now am wondering if I should have gone with the Anova. I'm in a small apartment kitchen and between the footprint, cost and lack of circulation I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the Anova. Cost isn't a huge factor but I'm having trouble seeing what benefits there are to the SVS for the extra cost?

If you can return it, do it. If not, don't beat yourself up too hard. I used the Demi for over a year without problems. I'm happier with the Anova because I can pack in more, and it takes up less space overall. Also cheaper!

:lol: How do they justify this "Chef" model? http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Shop_Online/Water_Ovens/SousVide_Supreme_Chef/Product.aspx?ProductID=109&DeptID=34

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

nwin posted:

So those short ribs I did for 72 hours at 129? I took em out today and threw em in an ice water bath because I plan on heating/searing tomorrow for dinner.

I double vacuum sealed them (bag in a bag) and it looks like the inner bag has some gasses or something in it because it was causing the bag to float (I had to put a plate on it yesterday when I noticed to keep it weighed down).

When I took it out of the water bath, I noticed some kind of smell coming from the bag. I thought I had read that this is normal, but I wanted to make sure.

The first time I did these ribs I must have gotten a better seal because I didn't have any of these issues.

If it smells bad, dump it. I usually find meat smells sweet when I don't have anything more than salt in there. 129F seems like cutting it close to being unsafe. I do mine at 140F for 48 hours.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I have a super market corned beef. Do I want to sous vide it? Internet shows mixed opinions.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

dinosaurtrauma posted:

Soooo, I just unboxed a brand new Polyscience Sous Vide Professional, Creative Series. Mounted it on a pot, filled pot with water to a little above the minimum water line, plugged it in, flipped the switch. Nothing. Display shows nothing, no indication that anything at all was on. Is there something painfully obvious that I am missing here or do I need to call Polyscience and start yelling for a trade-in?

Consider it a blessing and a sign to return it and buy an Anova for half the price.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I think I cracked my granite counter top while sous vizzling. Found a hairline crack under the Cambro. It's been pretty cold lately and the counter just sucks it up, but the area underneath was toasty warm/hot.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

TATPants posted:

What temperature were you using?

I think I was doing short ribs at 140F for a couple days while it was something like 0F overnight. Obviously didn't get that cold in my kitchen, but it can get pretty chilly in there.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm a big fan of carrots:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-sous-vide-carrots-vegetables.html

But I would like to see more vegetable recipes too

Same for both these statements.

I do beet slices around 182 with a touch of butter, honey, and salt. Panic attack the next time you use the bathroom until you remember what you ate.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Tacier posted:

Is there any compelling reason to buy the Supreme over something like the Anova now that they're the same price?

Nope, zero reason. Get the Anova. Smaller foot print yet higher capacity, circulates water, won't corrode.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

SubG posted:

But `smaller foot print'? The Anova doesn't have a footprint---whatever cooking vessel you use does, and it may or may not have a bigger footprint than a SVS.

I already have pots, and it's easier to store a smaller Anova than the larger SVS. So yes, a smaller footprint.

Agree the other points are minor, but they're definitely positives on the Anova side. I'm not concerned about the lifetime because the company is experienced in the area, plus warranties.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

bear named tators posted:

Is it a good idea to reheat a steak that was svizzled at 120º by svizzling it back to 120º?

Only if you feel like making GBS threads your brains out or maybe dying.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
First time to 120 is a bit borderline to me. Chill and reheat? I personally would have reservations about eating or serving that.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I cook my ribeye the one true way. 14 days at 115F until it is protein sludge. Then I pour it into a ring mold over a high flame and ducasse it with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter until a damp grey puck is formed. Great, now that's settled and we can move on.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

No Wave posted:

Looks good - out of curiosity, what's the grate for on the bottom of your water?

My guess would be for better circulation.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
You'll be happy with either, but the Anova is better :smug:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Regarding pan searing, here's some good advice than can make or break your experience. Use plenty of oil. I skimped for far too long, and you just don't get enough contact that way.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

SubG posted:

That really depends on what you're searing. For poo poo that's shaped irregularly (like a shank or rib or something) using more fat and doing the arroser thing helps. But for your generic slab of protein---a steak, pork chop, that kind of thing---you get better crust if you use as little oil as you can get away with. You can just use your tongs (or turner or whatever the gently caress) to help insure good contact.

I think we're just going need to disagree, or my definition of plenty of oil is similar to your definition of as little oil as possible. I tried minimizing for a while and always ended up with an uneven sear. Depending on the pan, 2 or 3 tablespoons gives me just enough depth to ensure even heat transfer. I'm getting beautiful crusts, so I'll just keep sticking with what works for me.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Ola posted:

I use bread/freezer bags without ziploc for everything. Submerge most of it, then tie a knot. They are very thin so at high temps (like doing carrots at 83C, which I think is worth the effort) or long cooks, I guess some of the contents go through the bag by osmosis. Can't really see it in the water but I can smell it. I double bagged a 48 hour round once, it was completely tight.

One thing I like about these type of bags is that I can cut away the knot, drain the juices to make gravy and then put the meat back in to keep warm. I use a rice cooker so I just leave the now opened bag hanging by the lid.

I am slightly concerned those bags are not intended to be heated. Good on you if you've already researched it, if not, heads up goon buddy.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

MasterFugu posted:

perhaps you should do research yourself instead of going DURR MOLTEN PLASTIC BAD

Sucks when you go for that slam dunk but end up looking like an rear end in a top hat.

Anne Whateley posted:

He's not using ziplocs, he's using the bags you buy bread in, tied in a knot. They're a different, thinner kind of plastic (which is why he likes them). Bread bags aren't rated microwave safe as far as I know, because that's not a normal application. It at least seems worth asking.

Thank you for reading the context of my reply :) This is exactly why I felt it was worthy of raising the potential issue.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/06/17/boring-but-useful-technical-post-vacuum-machines-affect-the-texture-of-your-meat/ (2009)

This pretty much confirms what I suspected. Seems there is still a bit of a debate about why it happens. The comments mention a Modernist Cuisine quote about boiling under vacuum causing damage, but Dave Arnold challenges that theory with an experiment. The layman in me says it's just the compression squeezing out the juices.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Steve Yun posted:

You got a chamber vacuum? I feel for you, son.

My foodsaver got 99 problems but 99% vacuum ain't one.

I could sit here and claim some sort of vacuum sealer superiority, but I'm just being honest about it. For sous vide purposes, it is unnecessary, and part of me wishes I knew about this before. That said, it's awesome for soups and has been 100% less finicky than my FoodSaver. Ziplock bags and the submerge-method is really all anyone needs, and possibly the best way.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I've done ziploc for 48 hours plenty of times and 72 hours a couple times and have had no problems. I am always concerned, but it works out fine.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

a foolish pianist posted:

The piece of food is already at one atmosphere, though, just by virtue of being in the air. Air pressure doesn't magically only apply to things sealed in plastic.

Kenji shows what happens to chop meat here: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/06/the-burger-lab-how-to-cook-a-burger-sous-vide-without-a-sous-vide-machine.html

A solid piece of meat isn't as porous, but I can definitely observe the bag contorting the meat a bit. I imagine the added pressure while cooking is like pressing a spatula down on a burger. I'll probably test this one day, but I hate to waste food.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

stop putting garlic in your sous-vide sack, it's way better with powdered garlic.

I've always avoided raw garlic when puddling, but does it apply to roasted garlic too?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I've never had one of my large containers of water set on fire.

Purely anecdotal evidence, don't trust.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Whiteycar posted:

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2011/12/sous-vide-dulce-de-leche/

Made this once, it was horrible knowing I could make something that delicious so easy.

I hate to make it easier, but could you just cook it directly in the can?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Want dat in me.

Anova sent a $50 coupon for doing a survey. Assuming it's not tied to me, anybody want it? PM me!

edit: gone, hope it works!

geetee fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2014

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Spatule posted:

Speaking of risk and ignoring it:

I just cooked the worst possible quality bone-in ribeye I could find into unicorn meat !
1h at 39C
1h at 49C
2h at 54C
30 sec/side on the grill

Don't do this at home I guess.

It was as tender and tasty as most dry-aged meat I've ever had. When I cooked this meat the usual way in the past (dump on the grill, let warm up under foil for 30min or so), it was tough to the point of being inedible.

Did you just make this up or got the idea from somewhere else? I'm so confused. Also, I'm entirely lost on grilling a steak for 30 minutes... under foil? Please advise because this sounds like insanity.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Here's another Anova coupon: backer-fcf2s3tb

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I think I'll take the low-tech approach and simply rest the head on a plate.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you order 6 of them?

No no, links to David Chang. I ordered one but no idea when it's coming.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Ultimate Mango posted:

And although I didn't puddle them, I did heirloom tomatoes infused with basil oil and reduced balsamic in the vacuum chamber. Those were then assembled with fresh mozz and a little more basil and it was the best Caprese ever. Seriously incredible.

I need to try this. Basil oil was blended or just muddled?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
If you guys haven't tried puddling salmon, you're missing out. 130F for 45 minutes. Maybe a bit lower temperature if it's lean. I like to make a thick puttanesca sauce to serve with it. Saute some garlic and onion in a pan. Throw in sliced kalmata olives, capers, and a couple slivered roma tomatoes per person. Some lemon zest, juice, splash of wine and balsamic maybe. Cook it covered for 30 minutes and uncover to reduce for another 15. Finish with a small pat of butter if you're feeling up to it. I let the salmon sit out for 5 minutes before crisping the skin in a pan.

edit: and whatever italian spices, salt, pepper

geetee fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 16, 2014

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Mr. Wookums posted:

Has anyone else who should be getting a searzall not received any type of shipping notification yet?

The last one I've gotten is from the 9th, and that was saying they existed, not even the bullshit Amazon done goofed email.

You should get an email from fba-customer-ship-confirm@amazon.com with subject "Your Booker and Dax order has shipped (Order-xxxxxx-xx)"

The seasoning step was kind of frightening in my tiny kitchen. The orange flames were licking up mighty high, so I was eagerly counting the seconds down. Post-seasoning I am getting a tighter blue flame, so it's not worrying me anymore.

I torched the skin side of some salmon tonight. Actually prefer pan finishing in this case, but at least there is zero torch taste. I'll do a steak tomorrow or the day after. Will post pics if they're not embarrassing.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

geetee posted:

I'll do a steak tomorrow or the day after. Will post pics if they're not embarrassing.

Pretty much hosed this up, but sharing to help others avoid my mistakes.

It took too long to brown, so I ended up cooking it past medium (puddled at 130F for an hour). I lost complete sense of time while torching. I was to busy focusing my brainpower on not setting the apartment on fire. I'm going to try getting closer next time to speed it up. I thought I was only an inch above, but maybe not.

I also need to get a better rack because this one leaves the meat sitting in its juices. All my cooling racks are nonstick coated and will most definitely melt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZEDydQ_JE
This lovely video is over 5 minutes long with nothing interesting to speak of. It's also out of focus because I'm a dumbass and forgot to refocus the camera once the steak was on the pan. The pan is in perfect focus.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
No wobble on mine. I have the 8000, not sure if the 4000 looks different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I made a sous vide + searzall burger that came out really tasty. Getting better with the technique, but I think it's woefully inefficient if you want to cook for more than one or two. Even two is a stretch.

Pro tips:
1) Brush meat with butter.
2) Get as close as humanly possible to the meat.
3) Have a base you can easily rotate. Angle about 45 degrees over the edge and slowly rotate. Then finish off with circles on top.