Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Where did the DIY thread go? I can't find it, and I want to show off my ghetto sous vide circulator, so you guys get it right here:

I got started with a PID controller and crock pot like a lot of people when I realized that I was a $5 temperature probe away from doing it with spare arduino parts from previous projects: http://learn.adafruit.com/sous-vide-powered-by-arduino-the-sous-viduino/build-the-controller

It sucked though, for the usual reasons, so I put the crock pot back in the cabinet and grabbed a 1000w bucket heater for $40 and a $15 12v water pump from amazon that claimed to be good to 100c and food grade that loving thing died after a couple of days so I returned it and got a beefier pump for :20bux: after finding some endorsements in a DIY thread on a forum called cooking for engineers or something and so far, so good. I fired it up using the same PID parameters that were recommended for the crock pot setup and they work fine, which is great because I really didn't want to have to figure out how to tune it myself; in my classy 5 gallon bucket it stabilizes at the setpoint faster than the crock pot, it corrects quickly with negligible overshoot, and it holds temperature to 2 decimal places on a meager 12% duty cycle which tells me I could probably use it to cook in a hot tub if I were so inclined.

Built from scratch for this purpose at current prices it'd run about $100 I think if you just used a relay instead of the powerswitch tail (which I had laying around), and the arduino bits are more or less interchangeable pricewise with the standalone temperature controllers like they used in the MAKE circulator which would probably be the way to go unless you want to set up multiple pools in parallel at some point. That one came out a little cheaper than mine but those norpro water heaters apparently burn out and need to be replaced if you look at them funny and that water pump probably died after a few hours in hot water (and my pump/heater are probably overkill).

Brushed steel, pssh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I got my Anova for $99, no effort required :smug:

i bet it doesnt have a NES gamepad though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I did a smithfield ham sous vide for xmas. This is a salt cured and smoked country ham, which is traditionally soaked in water 12+ hours then baked or boiled to an internal temp of 160*. To mix it up, and absent any kind of trip report from anyone else, I cooked it sous-vide in a 160 degree bath until the center by the bone just got to temp, overnight, then finished it in the oven. I'd debated trying a lower temp for longer but decided against it, given that I was already in uncharted territory and didn't want to end up with a weird texture, and this was a good move I think. The result, at 160, is a ham that has the look, texture, and juiciness of a normal ham, not crumbly but almost falling apart along the fat seams, with all the flavor of a smithfield ham (I did a 24 hour soak as well, over the recommended 12-18 hours, so it's not too overwhelmingly salty). Everyone agreed it was the next level of country ham, in a Virginia family with strong redneck roots that knows its country ham.

*I don't know why. They're produced similarly to expensive european cured hams, but everyone says they have to be (soaked and) cooked to 160 internal, and nobody on the internet will even discuss why this is, or take a stab at slicing it raw to see how it turns out, even in articles comparing it directly to other cured hams. I have a hunch that this is just the FDA ruining everything like they do with eggnog and cookie dough.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 26, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

on the other hand, a sous-vide is actually a simple device that should cost $30

bring it on, china

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Did someone say thick, bone-in ribeyes?

I will not be cooking either of these well done tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I took a couple of cross sections but the gremlin in my phone made them all blurry, so you'll have to take my word that it was medium rare.