Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

Wow...so it just got overcooked? I thought for sure my seasoning method or the fact it was thawed in extra day had something to do with it.

However, maybe the skin from the first cool provided enough of a buffer since I didn't ice bath that?

If it was sitting in salt for 24 hours, that could also affect the texture. It would be like a light cure on the thinner parts. Since you are sous videing i doubt it was over cooked.

I would think it essentially was just "over-brinned."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I saw earlier in this thread (or maybe it was a different thread) that you can get 1000 vacuum bags for something like $30. Does anyone know where this is at, my searching has come up empty.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

MrEnigma posted:

uline.com?

Edit: These are generally not the food saver type ones, but the chamber style. Food saver style ones are quite a bit more expensive than this (as in 10x).

Brand doesn't matter to me, would these work with a foods aver type device though?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Shadowhand00 posted:

I saw these earlier on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063HZVBC/

It looks like they'll work with Foodsavers.

You underestimate my laziness. I'm hoping to find the premade bags.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

d3rt posted:

Wife and I are doing Thanksgiving for 12 people this year. I'm in charge of the turkey, gravy and dressing at the in-laws house where it's being hosted, whilst the wife is at our house making pie and some sides. I won't have much room on the stove for anything else (MIL is doing the mashed potatoes there too) but was thinking I could svizzle something simple in a corner of the house and impress the family with my gadgetry.

Any recommendations on a super simple vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving that really highlights the benefit of cooking sous vide?

I loved this when I made them Sous Vide Carrots

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Mikey Purp posted:

Today I learned that I'm a moron who can't count and that 72 hours from Thursday is Sunday, not Saturday as originally believed. Does anyone have first hand experience with 48 hour short ribs at 144*? My google searches suggest it'll still be awesome, but I don't know if it's worth leaving some in the bath til Sunday.

That is how I make mine and they come out amazing.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Choadmaster posted:

I'm going to be doing these (and pearl onions). I'm blaming you if my Thanksgiving is ruined.

I'll take the blame as long as when they are awesome you tell you family it's my fault.

Edit: My family did a small Thanksgiving dinner since I will be in Cancun over the rest of this week. I sous vide a bone in turkey breast. 144F for almost 5 hours. Then I salted, pepperd and dried in on a rack for 30 min. Then into a 450F degree for 10 min to ensure the outside was dry, then broiled until it was nicely browned. It was some of the best turkey I have ever had.

I love my sous vide machine.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2014

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I am having second thoughts about Anovas at the moment. I have ordered 4 for myself and family. After my ribs that were ruined last night by my machine resetting I have had issues with 3 out of the 4. I know Anova will replace/repair the latest failure, but I don't have much trust in the company after this. What other brand would people look at instead?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Wookums posted:

That high of a failure rate points to user error.

Regardless, I believe nomiku is better built than sansair which are the other two major affordable players.

Nah, this is from different users. My first Anova (Anova One) has an issue with the impeller rubbing, I got one for my parents (Anova One) that would shut itself off after a random period of time. Then I ordered a 2 pack of the newer Anovas (before the problems with the first units presented themselves with the first 2). One of those has started the issue where it randomly shuts itself off.

What user error could cause the units to reset themselves? The impeller I could see bumping it or something but the rest is all internal to the unit.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The power is pretty steady here, none of the other stuff that starts flashing when the power blips was flashing. I also am pretty good about enough water and not too much stuff. Last night it was in a stock pot and had a single (quart) bag with half a rack of ribs in it.

It's possible that it is just a statistical anomaly and I got a couple bad ones even if their quality is overall good.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

CrazySalamander posted:

It does sound like a couple of them were the original Anovas unless I misunderstood, and I heard there were a few more problems with those than the current model. Oh! one failure mode I've heard of is excess condensation inside the unit. This can happen if you're trying to seal the top of the heating vessel but have it leak steam up the sides of the cylinder.

How would you prevent this from happening? Even a cabrio with a cut out lid is going to have some room for steam to go up the cylinder.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I think it is a design flaw in the current stick machines. If it is going to sit above steaming water the top part should have some sort of water resistance to protect against it.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

deimos posted:

It's the delicate balance between keeping the electronics cool and keeping condensation out without using ugly/expensive heatsinks.

Pretty sure they have a coating that can cover circuit boards and give water protection. We do it all the time with automotive parts.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

EvilBeard posted:

Then they don't cool properly and they burn up.

How come this doesn't happen in auto parts?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Save me jeebus posted:

Any more Anova coupons floating around? Wanna get one for Mom for her birthday.

anova-9a2b452a in case anyone else needs one.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Kalista posted:

Labor Day weekend is going to be a cook-fest for me as I prepare a lot of food to be frozen in smaller portions for quick weekday meals, and I wanted to confirm that my plan regarding sous vide ribs was not going to fail, or make anybody sick.

I bought english-style beef ribs from the butcher, and plan to use 2 sous vide devices in separate containers to long cook (48 hours+) 4 packages of ribs (3 per pack) until they are about two hours away from being done. I want to then ice-bath chill and freeze them, with the intent that when I'm ready to eat them over the fall/winter, I'll put them back in the sous vide from a frozen state and cook for 3-4 hours to thaw, bring to temp, and finish cooking.

Given that I plan to immediately chill and freeze once they're almost done cooking, is there anything I'm overlooking?

Just cook them until they are done, then you just have to reheat them. I don't see any benefit to not fully cooking them.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I was thinking of trying to make cheesecake in a mason jar like many of the recipes I have seen. One of the biggest points of failure has been closing the lid. Everything says don't close it too tight because air needs to escape but I really don't have canning experience so there is a greater than zero probability I would close too loose or too tight.

What would happen if I vacuum sealed the jar and then closed it tight? I figure it would have a place for air to expand since it has been sucked out and then I can just tighten without worrying about it. Would this work or is there some other downfall I am missing?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

If your custard was whisked there's a possibility it will expand when vacuumed and create a huge mess.

On the other hand, that could make it fluffier if I make sure there is room for that expansion.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I use the griddle side of my baking steel and I think it does better than cast iron, highly recommended.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Alright I'm having issues with my steak.

I cook them to 135, and then I refrigerate them to cook them a few days later.

Problem I'm having is I'll warm them up to 110 or so and then sear them, but they don't taste nearly warm enough when I go to eat them.

I'm guessing the easy answer is just heat them back up to 135 prior to cooking, or at least 130, but I'm just being lazy and not wanting to boot up the sous vide machine and use tap water instead.

Turn up your water heater.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chemmy posted:

Why don't you label the bags, cook the well done ones first, turn the temp down and throw the medium rare in after?

This is the best way, and as a bonus, the more well-done steaks will get a little more tender from the extended bath time.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

esperantinc posted:

I dunno about denature, but longer cooks do affect a steak for sure, even if they're lean. From Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html)

I can see how a change in texture like that would make someone call it more tender.

It does make it more tender, at 4 hours you really don't notice anything other than the tenderness (at least on a cheaper steak i.e. a select sirloin). A nice filet it might seem too tender though.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

canyoneer posted:

Puddle cookers,
I just bought a Foodsaver Game Sealer for $55 on sale. I've heard that the precut 3 side sealed bags are much less hassle than the rolls. Any recommendations for gallon vacuum bags from Amazon?

I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL8KZ6O/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I haven't touched a roll since. Never had one tear or leak on me (though I always use something to keep bone ends from touching the bag).

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Anne Whateley posted:

The circulation is probably going to be too forceful for fish

e: the alive kind

Bump the wheel and you have dinner.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

I'd suggest running the anova in a superhot cook in clean water, like basically as high as the anova will go (I think I can get mine to hold around 190). Change the water after 10 minutes, run it another 10 and you're probably fine.

This and add some vinegar to the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
If you have enough people wanting well done, you can do what I have done in the past for my family and split it into 2 roasts. Cook one at 155-160 and after it is done just lower the temp for the other and drop it in there. The extra time at a lower temp will tenderize the well-done meat a little more.