Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mmm, pork garnished with a little lavender.

Nice thread! The build your own SV machine has been discussed in this thread but honestly now that they're $200 unless you have a knack it's kind of :effort:. I think my controller is getting a new probe and going to go into smoker control duty soon.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just dry them and sear in a hot pan with melted butter. I usually cook 6-8 on Sundays to make for our lunches during the week.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use oil instead of butter, it will give it a much better sear. If you want to add butter, finish with it instead.

Ok, I used to use grapeseed oil so I could just do stupid high heat but I find that I don't get that ~nice brown sear~ as much. Even if it's due to dirty burnt milk solids I think it made a more appealing-looking product. Any ideas for how to get this with oil?

nwin posted:

Hmm. What temp do you cook them at/how long? Same for sear time. Also, do you put them in an ice bath before sear?

I cook at 140 for 4 hours. Same for 15-30 secs a side I guess. I haven't tried an ice bath prior.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cheezit posted:

Are there any recommendations for water heating elements? I just got a Dorkfood PID and was thinking, instead of using the crockpot I've been using. I've seen some builds with things like Norpro heating elements, pre-built PIDS and pumps to circulate water, which look kind of fun. Most of the immersion elements seem like they burn out pretty quickly, even the Norpro elements, some even after a few hours of prolonged use. I haven't seen any info in the thread relating to that, but I might have missed it.

I use a bucket heater like this one to heat my bath since I decided to upgrade from the Norpro elements; I've SV'd 3-4 nights a week for 2 years now and it works great.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cheezit posted:

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! I saw that on Amazon and wasn't sure. Do you use a pump to circulate water, as well? How much water can it heat?

I can't find the original pump I bought, basically spend a little more than :tenbux: or else it will fail quickly if you do a few veggie soaks at 180F. I had a $20 one and it circulated amazingly. I killed it by forgetting to drop the probe in my bath and came back in 30 minutes and it had been boiling. :mmmhmm: Now I just use something cheaper from Harbor Freight and it has been working for at least 6 months with no issues.

The heater was designed to heat up 5 gallon buckets, so it should be fine for most applications. The limit of heat from 15A/120v service in American homes is going to be around 5-10 gallons anyway depending on the emissivity of your container. Certainly fine for my applications.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The PlastiChat 2014 talk in the last page reminded me that Costco got back to me regarding their frozen chicken breasts:

quote:

We thank you for being patient while we researched your question. The individually wrapped KS Chicken Breasts are in a laminate that consists of PE (polyethylene) and PP (polypropylene). We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

What does this mean? If you are :effort: like me on Sundays you can plunk a bunch of already individually-wrapped, already-enhanced/salted Kirkland Signature Frozen BSCB into your puddler at 140 for 3 hours or so. Then remove, sear, season and box up for lunches during the week. :buddy:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LTBS posted:

Are these the ones that come two in a pack with the total package being 6 packs? Or is this a different one?

No these are the big freezer bag of already frozen, individually wrapped and separated breasts, Kirkland Signature brand.

The Midniter posted:

Hed, just a warning - I have noticed that some of the breasts aren't perfectly vacuum sealed and can retain some air bubbles.

This is a good point, we have occasionally had one that makes a mess of our bath or is hard to keep sunken. The amount is in the noise, though. Honestly we often let them go for much longer so hopefully any air transmission problems are mitigated as long as they are fully submerged.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Granted not the same thing exactly, but I just run Zwave power control on my SV controller and can preheat the water in it to whatever it was last set to from my phone before I start my commute home. Generally that's good enough for me if I'm planning on conventionally cooking some sides to go along with my protein.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I generally use smooth rectangular granite samples or a length of galvanized chain from the hardware store to help anchor stubborn bags.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think that answers his question at all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Count me in for a 3" mini salamander adapter. Someone was talking about kickstarter the other day and I finally decided to check on when those were shipping. Good to see it will be here soon.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was this an option somewhere or do I have to go buy a short fat gas can in the coming weeks?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There definitely is one. I saw a (kind of lame) article based on a press demo about it coming out "soon". I presume everyone else will beat them to market again, but it is good to have competition in this arena.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ken Lay? I've heard him lie about energy usage before :tinfoil:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For DIYers, what water pumps have you guys had good luck with? I have cycled through a couple models on Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc. and it's always after a hot cook (>150) that it seems to really wreak havoc on the pump. Which makes sense, I'm using aquarium pumps and running these things far outside their design range. I usually spend $10-20 per pump and have an extra on hand just in case but is there a model you guys like? I probably average a new one every 6 mos.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can you adjust the coefficients or tune them in any way? (Without reverse engineering)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
:siren: My Searzall actually shipped :siren:

It's coming from Phoenix.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
He already spent that on his Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas glasses.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why do you need a flashlight with a Searzall on the way? :shrug:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got mine this morning, and I'm on the other side of the country from point of origin (which was Phoenix). Am I the only one?

Edit: I can't remember what I read a few days ago, at least someone else itt has one

Hed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electric Sugar posted:

Has anyone tried re-freezing after cooking things like chicken or pork? I'd be concerned it would just kind of turn to mush. Is this something that might work, or should I stick to making/freezing foods "traditionally"?

We do this all of the time-the vacuum bags make it simple. Just put your puddled stuff into an ice bath, stick in the fridge, then freeze. Or bath to freezer if you remember. Then puddle back to 130ish to get warm. No real texture problem.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're forgetting latent heat (the thawing) in the (heat lost = heat gained) equation above, but looks like it doesn't matter at this point.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just use a couple feet of stainless chain from the hardware store to hold down my puddle wares. Snake it on top of all your bags once they're in. It's probably spent 18 months submerged and still looks metal as gently caress. If it is just one bag I usually use a granite counter top sample placed on top.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think as temperature creeps over 130 or cook time creeps over a few hours I would reach for something more durable than a zipper-lock bag.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I think I must have messed up the MC mashed potatoes because I made it a while back and didn't think it was really any different than the whipped mashed potatoes I usually serve.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Launch-day DLC to unlock temperatures above 140.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like to take boneless skinless chicken breasts and put them in a crock pot with salsa. The best thing is, you don't even need a sous vide controller, you can let them cook all day. :q:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a TS7000 and I'm stuck trying to figure out 1) how I got it and 2) how it's different from the 8000. For the record, it fits my Searzall pretty well.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm all ears for an alternative because I am still looking for a non-douchey way to explain it to MY FRIENDS

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is no reason to be concerned for something that long. A reasonable estimate for thawing something in 140ish circulating water that is the thickness of a chicken breast is ~45 minutes. I usually add that right to the front of the "safe zone cook time".

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

Hey, hey, there's also this guy that sells estrogen free plastic certifications that has proof estrogen in plastics causes problems.

Food babe just has problems with chemicals in general, which is why she is such a vacuous bitch.

Why I would never cook.... with chemicals :smugmrgw:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is like that metal cast for tortilla bowls that you could use a muffin tin upside-down for.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can you (or anyone with a vac sealer) elaborate on how the bags are? I forget what materials they are made of (although it can be much cheaper) but do they hold up well in the freezer and stuff too?

Edit: talking about non waffle bags for chamber sealers

Hed fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 31, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You might be thinking of the potato puree to make really potatoey mashed potatoes.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant. If the bag is opened when it's taken out of the bath, then it's not an anaerobic environment any longer.

I think a lot of people are confusing getting sick from the toxins with sickness from eating the microorganisms themselves. The toxins already pooped out from warm anaerobic botulism aren't going anywhere when you open the bag: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cooking_Time_and_Temperature

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Relax your conscience by knowing that if you get even 1 hosed up piece of meat from a dodgy bag that leaked you have caused far more ecological waste than all your sous vide trash for a year. Unless you are always going to eat your mistakes I guess.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well yeah, you won't be extracting much gelatin from the meat because of the way you're cooking things. Depending on what you put in the bag, you could end up with something really good though. Like when I do lamb shanks I put some demi in the bag. Lamb imparts its flavor onto the demi, and all I have to do is reduce by half and mount in butter.

Great suggestion but I just want to make sure, when you say demi you're talking demiglace? Beef?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just dremeled mine. Subjunctive I use a water bucket heater hooked up to a relay so I can use a full 1800W circuit. That works very well in my 20 qt container that I keep reasonably full. What I'm saying is that 1500W or higher if you can find it should be much better.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In my container of water I use a length of galvanized chain or a granite counter top sample, depending on the makeup of the bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No casual racism/sexism?

A group of us saw him like 4 years ago and never experienced this. The closest thing was him making fun of French chef snobbery but he prefaces it with why he thinks they're fair game (they gave him a really hard time).

However I did see this in the same event space that I saw Daniel Tosh standup so maybe :shrug: