Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Ordering an Anova most likely this month, and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to go ahead and spend the extra on a chamber sealer vs a regular Food Saver to replace my old one that stopped working. The additional $400+ is a lot, but if it's worth it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I ordered my Anova on Friday, got an email from them warning me it was about 10 business days before it would ship. Just now got my shipping confirmation email that it will be here at the office this week!

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Plinkey posted:

I just did corned beef at 165 for 24 hours and holy loving poo poo loving jesus titty loving christ.

I'm gunna go buy like 30 pounds of brisket for the rest of the year.

It's much more red, my cell phone sucks at pictures.

Did you get a corned beef or make the brine yourself? I am very interested in trying this, and have a 10 lb brisket right now ready to be broken down.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I have no problems with my Anova being loud. Mrs Creature asked the first few times if it was still running when she saw the screen go blank because she couldn't hear it. So far the longest I have ran it was ~6 hours and there was no noticeable change in the sound of the motor. I wasn't sure how I would like the screw on vs clip on or the touch screen but I couldn't be more pleased with its overall performance.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Made 52 hour brisket the other day. Seared the fat cap, seasoned with smoked sea salt and pepper, and put it in the bath. Juice was reduced with red wine and garlic. That Anova is my new favorite gadget. Mrs Creature went and bought 4 pounds of carrots after I made glazed carrots with butter and tarragon.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Random Hero posted:

So you pre-seared the brisket? Do you have any after pictures to show? I am very interested in doing a brisket soon...

No pics but yes I seared the fat cap. It was glorious

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
I have a lovely apartment electric stove, so I just take a single induction cooker out on my patio and use that to get my searing pan hotter then the sun. Works great, and aside from the maintenance people bitching about grilling on my patio (they left me alone when I showed them what I was doing), I'm pretty pleased with it.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
72 hours is too much. Go with 48. I just did a chuck roast for 48 hours, served with polenta and red onion jam. It went over really well with Mrs Creature and her friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Since the former Mrs Creature moved out I have been puddling more and more. I did a 48 hour brisket, took the bag juice and made a smoky BBQ sauce with it. Juices from steak usually gets reduced with some red wine. Pork, I haven't had a lot of luck getting the juice into a good sauce so if the puppy is good he gets that on his food. I also have been experimenting with desserts. I made my dad a cheesecake for his birthday, my mom a fruit compote to go over some homemade ice cream, and am wanting to try something with bananas.

I love that the meat I make is tender enough so look at and have it fall apart since I got rid of my huge cleaver.