Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Well Anova is heading back, first time I used it it couldn't get up to temp without resetting. It worked the next couple of times, then blew up again on me. Super frustrating to have it turn off repeatedly. Emailed them about it and they just sent a return label. So it's on it's way back right now, hopefully they send me back a red one :)

I kind of wish I had the better clip, and that the power didn't go through the anova one, but other than that I really like it. The directed flow thing I thought would be a gimmick, but it really works, and kicks a turn of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

LTBS posted:

All I need now is a container.

Any suggestions? I plan on not leaving it on the counter ALL of the time, so it doesn't have to look pretty.

I bought this:
http://www.katom.com/144-18CW135.html

with this lid that I'll cut out for the anova:
http://www.katom.com/144-10SC148.html

I wanted to do the 18x26x9 one, but it's 13 gallons, which is about double the size the Anova should be able to run, so I went with the smaller one above (which is on the edge, but it'll never be all the way to the brim, so it's basically the largest recommended.

Edit: I don't have it yet, but will update you once I get it and get a new Anova.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Replacement Anova shows up today, they let me switch to red (what I originally ordered but switched to black). Now that I have red, I kind of like the black better. The white has a white top/clamp which is a bit odd.

Regardless it will work the same! Now for a 24 chuck roast.

Edit: And here it is mounted on my full size camwear 8" deep, with seal cover lid (customized).

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2013

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Chuck roast just after being thrown in. Just under 24 to go.

I kind of wish I would have gotten a half size cambro at the same time, since this one is pretty huge. Plus the half sizes w/ lid are like $12, and they want $15 for shipping. Probably would have only been $14-15 total to add on to the last order. (Also Amazon wants $25 for the 1/2 size without lid :( )

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Steve Yun posted:

Check restaurant supply stores in your area?

We're in a quite small area, so nothing around here, hence the internet ordering… Probably not a big deal, just deal with the bigger one, or use a smaller pot.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Are you sure it's gas? As things get soft in the bath they tend to move around and the air that was already in there shows up. Usually not a huge deal, I just readjust to make sure the bag top is up, this usually leaves everything else in the bag still submerged.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

granpa yum posted:

Speaking of apps for sous vide: http://www.sousvidedash.com/ is a really helpful app to calculate pasteurization times for various foods. Also iOS only though, sorry! They might release an android version though.

They haven't updated the iOS one in over a year, I wouldn't hold my breath.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Ultimate Mango posted:

This looks like a complete clone of the PolyScience app. I wonder who ripped off whom?

I think poly science paid them to rebrand/white label it.

People download the poly science one and complain it doesn't match the data in their books that it comes with.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a gallon of milk sitting in a sous vide bath (in it's original jug). Going to 180, then getting iced, inoculated, and then set at 110 overnight.

If this works, it's going to be a super easy way to make yogurt. Now to find something to strain a gallon of yogurt easily.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
First batch of yogurt separated quite a bit, but I think I added too much starter. Having another try.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dotster posted:

Did you just use some plain yogurt as a starter? I am interested to hear how it turns out, we run through tubs of yogurt at my house, it might be fun to make some.

Yeah, 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Brought it up to about 188 in the anova which got it to 182 internal or so, put milk jug in cold water, dropped it down to ~110, added yogurt, put back in the water bath at 110 for 7 or so hours. Worked great, and super simple. Strained half of it, made amazingly smooth Greek style yogurt.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dotster posted:

After I was inspired by MrEnigma I made some yogurt this weekend, found some fancy un-homogenized low-temp pasteurized milk at whole foods. I used bbum's that was linked earlier.

Here is the milk going in and coming up to temp.

The next morning, you can see it has separated.

Here is the yogurt being strained.

Final product chilling, two quart jars of yogurt and one of whey.

The final product tastes pretty good, I ended up with just over 1.5 qts after straining (saved the two quarts of whey for shakes and cooking). It was a bit lumpy looking but that was right after straining and chilling so maybe it will gel overnight into a smoother consistency.

Nice! I've done three batches, first I put a ton of starter in and it was separated a lot, came out lumpy in the end. 2nd I did 2 tablespoons in one gallon (I do it in the original jug), third time I did 3 tablespoons.

The 2nd one was by far the best, no separation visible after it was done, the third looked close to what you have. It will be smooth, but the 2nd batch I made was mind boggling smooth.

By the looks of it I'd recommend dropping down the starter amount just a little bit next time, if all else was equal.

Our house (me, wife, 2 kids) have gone through through 3 "gallons" (used three gallons of milk, less after straining) in under a week...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I just used the SousVide app, from 33 degrees to 138 with a 2" diameter cylinder of pork, and it says 2:32 to complete. If I say 3" it says 5:32.

I'm guess it was quite a bit thicker, frozen (do areas of your fridge freeze?), or something else went wrong.

Edit: as you can see from the numbers, thickness makes a huge difference, with some thickness taking too long to get up to temp safely.

Edit2: 3.5" is 7:14. Basically these numbers are all to core, meaning temp at center hits your bath temp.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

You don't enjoy a good steak purée?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dalstrs posted:

I saw earlier in this thread (or maybe it was a different thread) that you can get 1000 vacuum bags for something like $30. Does anyone know where this is at, my searching has come up empty.

uline.com?

Edit: These are generally not the food saver type ones, but the chamber style. Food saver style ones are quite a bit more expensive than this (as in 10x).

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The torch really does a number on the bag though.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My Anova One died today, exactly a year since I received it in the mail. Chopped up a 14lb brisket, put it in the bath and then left for the day. Came home to a dead anova and $45 worth of brisket that is now in the trash :(

I emailed them, hopefully they cover it under warranty (which is only 1 year). I have a Nomiku (wifi one) and an Anova (from their recent kickstarter) coming as well, but don't really want to be without for a month or two.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

nwin posted:

Just the entire thing stopped working? That sucks. Anova was really good about helping me out when my impeller was knocking against the housing. Quick return shipping and all.

Yeah won't turn on or anything. The first one I got had some issues when it got warmer (170+) and would shut off, but you could just turn it back on. They took that one back and got me a new one quick then, it's just the warranty now.

Kind of scares me about these devices. I don't want to be buying a new one every few years.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

MrEnigma posted:

My Anova One died today, exactly a year since I received it in the mail. Chopped up a 14lb brisket, put it in the bath and then left for the day. Came home to a dead anova and $45 worth of brisket that is now in the trash :(

I emailed them, hopefully they cover it under warranty (which is only 1 year). I have a Nomiku (wifi one) and an Anova (from their recent kickstarter) coming as well, but don't really want to be without for a month or two.

Anova responded this morning, they are making an exception for me, so hurray! Still concerned it died, but I guess it's relatively new machine/concept.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Steve Yun posted:

The Anova Precision Cooker is coming in a month for $180.

If you absolutely have to cook something in October, get the Anova One ($200)

That's about it.

The Anova One is now $170 on Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00GT753W8/

Basically it has a stronger heating element, touch screen, but no BLE control via phone. I think the new one has a nicer designed clip as well.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Got my replacement Anova today, firmware is 2.02 now instead of 2.01 of my previous one, anyone know what they added or if there is a place they publish these changes?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

CrazyLittle posted:

It's hardware and not user-serviceable. Don't worry about firmware.

I realize that, and it wasn't a big deal having 2.01 before, but now that I have one with 2.02 was wondering if anyone knew what changed.

For instance from 2.0 -> 2.01 (i think) they allowed user self calibration.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I just do the entire gallon of milk right in the jug. Works great.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Is the Anova App for Bluetooth out yet? I can't find anything, but lots of places implying that it is.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

I've made these twice, incredible. Kind of fussy (making the buns -- couldn't find them in the stores around here, pickle, sauce, etc), but amazing.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DJCobol posted:

I thought it might be handy to have the info about how long to cook something, not necessarily to be able to control it via bluetooth. I think the extra circulator volume and heating element on the One will be better to have than bluetooth. Off to Amazon!

I have both, and here are what I like, enjoy about each.

One: faster up to high temps, much faster actually getting to 180+
Power cord is removable (nice to leave circulator on the pot and not have the cord flapping around)

Precision: height adjustment is amazing, let's me use more pots easier.
It's smaller, quieter.

Alerts and such changed, as well as timers, but I think a lot of that will come back with the app release, push notifications for at temp, etc.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Or if you don't want to mess around with that pesky water at all: http://www.cindercooks.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
A contender appears!