Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I didn't get a sous vide for Xmas so I'm buying myself one. I don't want a poo poo one but I don't want a million dollar one. Is Annova the way to go?

What about the Gourmia?

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

ARGH i want it but the wife will probably be mad!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Alright help me justify this.

One "problem" we run into is that I do the bulk of the cooking. I got to boxing classes that get done around 8pm and then start cooking. She gets hungry/hangry sometimes because it's near 9 by the time I'm done sometimes and she plans to be in bed soon to wake up early for class.

With SV, I can start it around 5 or so and it'll be done when I get home right? Low risk of overcooking?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Bagged one! What are some good hard to gently caress up SV recipes that will halt any doubt in my wife? Steak? What else? Chicken breast?

I have a leg of Lamb I'd like to try one day.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ha-ha, she loves creme brulé. Now I have to get a blowtorch.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just did 72 hours ribs a week ago with a cheap seal-a-meal.

Everything was fine.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just did the same thing but with a 48 hour 140F cook. I'll let you know how it goes at least.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I bought the cheapo one linked in the OP for like 30 bucks. It's fine.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

24 hours into my corned beef and it's s big puddle. No air though. It's more likely just the big salty solution it was soaked in and not bacterial, right?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

48 hours @ 140 F

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I mostly use the app for recipe ideas. Never to control the unit.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

For what it is worth, I've been using a 17 dollar torch from harbor freight and it works just fine.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

That's the one!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Some things (like pork ribs) take 12 hours so maybe?!

The Apple store sells ANOVA I believe.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Look for maple rosemary pork loin on the anova app.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I did 1kg of tenderloin for two hours last weekend and it was fine.

Loin is thicker though so maybe 3 hours?

Also if you can't get maple syrup you should riot or something , jfc.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I got one. Hope it lasts!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I've been using those recently (on sale) for days when I won't have a ton of time to cook.

They're not bad.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

According to the coupons forum the Anova is 129 right now for the BT version so go get one if you haven't already, jeez!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I looked at that as an option and all the reviews were for folks who got one for free.

I'd say psy the extra 40 for the Anova.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Metal pots vent the heat if that is what you're asking. Your circulator won't have to work as hard and csn reach temp faster.

For my longer cooks , I cut the corner off the top of a cheap 20L cooler.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

5436 posted:

Anything people generally recommend off amazon? Most of my cooking will be for 2. Maybe some small roasts.

Just type in 'Cambro' and find something decently rated and about the size you think you want. 3 gallons maybe?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

If they're vegetarians and not vegans, maybe crème brulé?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Just vacuum seal once! I've never had a vac seal bag fail, even after 72 hrs.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yo I'm gonna cook a beef tongue.

I hear 170 for a day is good.

Confirm / Deny?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Mine broke in the middle. They sent a new one too.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

It was supposed to come out like 3 years ago so yeah definitely has the scent of goon project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

^^^ I am so confused right now