Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hopper posted:

Thought experiment.
I know someone who lives near an ostrich farm and can get me fresh eggs.

I know I can SV normal eggs, but an ostrich egg would probably be too large in diameter to work, right?

I really want a giant soft boild egg seveeal people can share now...

https://gfycat.com/afraidgiftedamphiuma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Also, fish is incredible when cooked via sous vide.
It feels like easy mode for cooking meats and hitting the perfect temperature and texture

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Puddle cookers,
I just bought a Foodsaver Game Sealer for $55 on sale. I've heard that the precut 3 side sealed bags are much less hassle than the rolls. Any recommendations for gallon vacuum bags from Amazon?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Pull out and repeat if moist

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I puddled some chicken at 150 with lime and chili to shred into a salad. It was great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I cut the lime into round slices and threw the whole thing in. So, yeah, zest and unjuiced lime

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

sterster posted:

Is this where they no greater than 4" of meat comes from.

Phew, I'm safe

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

my sous vide containers are real small or way too big. I use a gallon sized container for steaks or a 6 gallon stockpot for anything that's too big for that. I really should get a correctly sized cambro so I don't have to heat 4 gallons of water to sous vide medium to large sized stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I made Kenji's lengua tacos
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/12/sous-vide-tacos-de-lengua-tongue-recipe.html

They were pretty good. My wife and two of three kids were horrified by the appearance of the cow tongue and refused to eat it. Cowards!
That leaves me and the baby eating lengua tacos all day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I puddle cooked some steaks for the family last night. I was at my parents' house, and hoo boy, searing steaks on a pan on the stove is really not pleasant when you don't have a hood venting to the outside!

"Can you make mine medium instead?"
"I don't know how" :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Give ghee a shot. I don't understand why it isn't the #1 go-to for these sears

It really is #1. Trader Joe's has good prices on it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

poeticoddity posted:

I've started to see pre-prepared ghee at my local grocery store in jars but I'm waiting for them to make a viscous version that gets extruded from a nozzle on an aerosol can: Ghee-wiz.

I'm going to try a fermented tomato and cabbage recipe so I can throw them at you

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

sterster posted:

I still don't get it. Wooosh I guess.

A dozen dozens is 144, which is a gross.
288 eggs is two gross.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Honestly, I thought this was a smashmouth reference. Now I feel like an idiot.

i guess you're not the sharpest tool in the shed

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's what you need to know about hard water and immersion cookers.

Infinite Karma posted:

If it makes you feel better, ICs don't really have innards to get things sucked into.

There's some heating element tubes, a high water and low water sensor, and there's a little impeller with no moving parts (the moving parts are far away from the water up inside the non-immersible part). If something gross happens, you can take off the outer sleeve and clean off everything, but you'd have to do something weird to even need to do that.

Dewgy posted:

My water sucks and I have to take mine apart to de-calcify it every once in a blue moon, but it just needs a little bit of a vinegar soak and it's shiny and perfect again.

That's it. The pictured IC is an Anova. I have one and it's super easy to clean. Mine is a wifi/bluetooth model that I bought because it was higher wattage, and I've never used the wifi/bluetooth functionality past the first day. This isn't like smoking a brisket where you'll want to adjust temps at different times during long cooks. You kinda just set temp once and let it run for almost all recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'd usually do an all day boil with corned beef and then add cabbage carrots and potatoes at the end.
Used a pressure cooker last time and it was excellent.