Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Anyone have any tried and tested puddle recipes for pulled pork? I've done this sousvidesupreme blog recipe before, but it turned out slightly dry and overcooked, even at 18 hours (recipe suggests 80*C for 18-24 hours). It went down well with the audience (my drunk friends at new years), but I wasn't super happy with it. So any alternatives would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Made some 48 hour ribs (from the sous vide supreme blog). Those things are pretty amazing. The meat was buttery and awesome, and the prep time was incredibly minimal (paprika, salt, pepper, sugar onto ribs; bag, seal, 48 hours at 61*; BBQ sauce, oven, serve) - everyone should make these.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just threw a jointed chicken in the puddle machine. I'm doing 60*C for 1:40 (as suggested for breasts on Serious Eats). Will the legs and wings be OK at that temperature, or do they need higher temperatures (I know they need 10 mins longer if I'm roasting them, hence why I'm asking).

Edit: Finished eating one of the breasts, finished in the pan with Diane sauce. Amazing stuff - I used to find chicken breast unpleasantly bland and dry under almost all circumstances and cooking methods, but sous vide breast is a genuine revelation. Tasty, juicy and beautiful. The most chicken-y chicken I think I've ever eaten.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 23, 2014

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Breadnought posted:

I have a bad habit of waiting until I've vacuum sealed my food to set up my vizzler, leaving me with a 20-30 minute wait before the water gets to temperature and I can drop my block of meat in to cook. Can I just drop it in while the puddle is warming up? Or will that create some sort of bacterial monster? I feel like the regular cooking process would also kill any bacteria grown in the first 20 minutes before it hits the final temp, but I also know nothing about bacteria, so I figured I'd ask here before trying anything that might kill me.

Why not boil your kettle a couple of times during that 20 minutes? I usually set up my puddle machine with half boiling and half tap water, which reduces the pre-heating wait by a huge amount. I also regularly throw the bag in during this phase - that way I don't over-fill the bath (which helps with the pre-heating time too). Note: put the cold in first, and don't pour from the kettle directly onto a bag if you're going to do this).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Huge_Midget posted:

My new Anova puddle machine just arrived! I'm so drat excited to use this thing. Any suggestions on a foolproof first recipe to impress the wife with?

Skin-on chicken breast (1:35 at 61°C). Especially if you don't normally eat chicken breast because it's dry and bland (this is neither). Just season, seal, puddle and finish skin-down until crispy and delicious.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Did lamb shoulder, rubbed with garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper for mother's day (UK), along with the glazed carrots mentioned above (with thyme). Served with some polenta dusted roast potatoes and kale. The lamb was pretty amazing, and super tender/flavourful. It's coming up to lambing season, so I suggest everyone should get on that. I'm probably in the minority, but I maintain that lamb is easily the equal of beef. The carrots were similarly great (though buttery carrots weren't going to go far wrong, to be fair).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Whoever it was that said cast iron should be left on high for 10 minutes before searing (I think it was this thread) was absolutely right. The pan smoked like hell, but the crust on that steak (ribeye, ~4 hours, 54*C) was perfect. I dried the steaks out of the bag, rubbed them with oil, and threw them in the bastard hot pan for 30-40 seconds a side. No overcooked band of grey crap, just crust, pink innards, crust. Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also on the menu, 72-hour red-cooked pork cheeks:

I hate to drag something up from two months ago, but I've just been catching up with this thread and I need a recipe (or at least a temperature to go with the time) for these. I'm having some pretty strong feelings towards pig cheeks right now.