Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Nerdy lawyer girlfriend used to work as a server/bartender/cook for many years so got her an anova for her birthday, she had no idea what to expect despite many hints but was very appreciative :)

We haven't gotten around to short ribs yet but everything else has been loving amazing. It's been barely two weeks and we've already done corned beef twice, a little roast beef, two batches of ribeyes and some lovely sirloin tip roast. Tip roast went in for 36 hours at 135 degrees with typical mexican-y spices and a little lime juice, came out falling apart like pulled pork, perfect for tacos or enchiladas or whatever. Sous vide corned beef is unfuckingbelievably awesome if you enjoy corned beef in the first place, I'm one of those people who orders a reuben from every restaurant. Buy it vacuum sealed and put it in at 160 degrees for 36 hours, it's like refrigerated butter when it's done, honestly kind of bizarre texture if you're not expecting it but gently caress it's amazing, and the bag juice is great for cooking potatoes cabbage and carrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them). I couldn't originally get in until like $145 so I just went for the $540 5-pack. If anyone missed out on the earlier tiers and just wants one I'll have 3 or 4 to get rid of cheap :v:

also: recently SVed like 12 pounds of ribeye in 6 bags for a camping trip, just plugged half of a double sink and used that as a cooking vessel, worked great. I don't know why anyone would complain about the cooking volume of an Anova, I'm sure it could keep a goddamn barrel of water hot as long as the barrel isn't metal with fans blowing on it.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I feel like I remember seeing a SV chocolate cake done by some pro chef a few years back.

Anyway, now that Anova is done with their kickstarter, they keep bugging me to fill out my reward survey... so who still wants one? Thinking $130 shipped (be nice if you could cover paypal fees though), US only. I'll have four extras, so I guess first come first served, just post in the thread so I/we can see and I don't get a ton of PMs or people in thread confused if I still have any.

Need contact info and color (red, white or black), and remember these won't actually be shipping for a few months so please don't be flaky or a super recent reg or anything!

edit: also, they are providing 220V cookers with AU, EU or UK plugs too if someone wants one for some reason, but still not interested in shipping outside the US myself, I'll assume 120V unless people say otherwise

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 28, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
That's one red, one black, who else needs one?!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
One red, two black, one left!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Thanks, looks like they're all spoken for then, see you guys in October.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
yeah he changed his mind to User Choice :) There was also some awful 70s kind of canary yellow color that got like, 80 votes total, and some others that obviously never would have made it. I think blue was like second or third place.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested! I saw someone already said this but had some other things to say!

1) I like shopping and already have everything I want so I feel like I should get a Searzall, if I don't already have a torch what exactly is best to use it with in terms of gas + torch?

2:

McSpergin posted:

Has anyone done a corned beef/silverside sous vide? I want to try do one soon, my butcher gets fantastic local meat and they do amazing smallgoods so I'm sure their silverside would be good. If so, cooking temps/times?
Sous vide corned beef is loving amazing, I've done that more than anything else besides ordinary ribeyes, just leave it in the bag with seasoning etc (don't buy one of the ones that puts the seasoning in a little packet) and throw it right in the pot out of the fridge/freezer, no need to repackage, it is literally as easy to cook as a hot pocket or kraft dinner but tastes a million times better and isn't revolting.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html is a really really nice and thorough writeup of what you can do with it.

I've tried higher temps for a more conventional product, but I really really like 160 degrees for 36 hours, it's like nothing else, kind of like what you can do with SV short ribs. Its texture is more or less like cool butter, soft and dense. I don't bother broiling it or anything after because I mean, normally people just boil them anyway right? Save the juice when you cut the bag open, it's enough to cook cabbage in and will make loving awesome cabbage/carrots/whatever, you might have to add just like a cup of water.

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Motherfucker. I haven't even gotten an invite to the tracking site yet, even though my order is clearly more important because I'm getting five of the things :mad:

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Ok everyone who wanted in on my Anova backing, I got my big box of 5 cookers a couple days ago. PM or post here if still interested otherwise I'll come find you in a day or two I guess?

edit: actually, give me a little bit to figure out what we figured a reasonable price would be, and I have to figure out whether these need repackaging before I can send them back out, and that sort of thing... I haven't been home much lately and I have a bunch of mundane things to take care of :(

Straker fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I was very very impressed at how my Anova came packaged. I think that if they sent your shipments in individual cardboard boxes, you'd be fine with just slapping a shipping label over the ones currently on the box...
I just got home and opened my big box to see that it was actually two big rectangular boxes taped together, each with multiple smaller rectangular boxes inside, each with a poster tube kinda cylinder inside... this is really impressive packaging, even without the extra brown boxes I can't imagine damaging these things in shipping, they're packed in the tubes like nuclear weapon cores. So that makes stuff easier, I'll be in touch with everyone asap :)

My Searzall came while I was gone over the weekend too, I just seasoned it, going to have to make some French onion soup or something.

G-Prime posted:

Honestly, I just used one of the prepack grocery store ones. It was maybe 3lbs, point cut. I'd brine myself, but I was in a hurry. Soaked it in cold water for a day beforehand just so it didn't stay overly salty. Then threw the little spice packet in and rubbed it on both sides, and called it good.

Ultimate Mango posted:

For corned beef: if you get the store bought stuff already in the brine (no packet) I recall reading that you can just sous vide it straight in that package. Anyone actually try that approach?
I've made at least half a dozen in the store bags, it's like if you could go to the counter and just buy deli meat for three bucks a pound instead of double+ that because that's pretty much what you're doing. 36 hours at 160F for meat like cold butter, shorter and hotter if you want something more conventional, quarter a cabbage and cut up a few potatoes/carrots and cook that in the bag juice after. Doing it this way makes it probably the most trivially simple thing I've ever cooked, on par with ramen and probably easier than mac and cheese, even though it turns out phenomenally well. I can imagine some concern about it ending up too salty if you cook it in the same juice it's sold in, but that hasn't been an issue so far.

Maybe some brands are sturdier than others, I've used a few so far and they've all taken as much effort to cut open after as a foodsaver bag or whatever... if you're concerned you could just put the whole thing in a gallon ziploc with a little water to fill the gaps, and/or clip the resulting thing to the side of the pot.

Straker fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I would have mentioned if I knew that was a thing :( I finally ordered a searzall a week ago but that was the first time I saw them in stock at all so assumed everyone knew.

the four people expecting anovas from me, really sorry for the wait, I ended up with the flu and spending an extra couple days at my baby mama's place so she could take care of me, then out tonight for anniversary dinner. if you guys are reading this and want to PM me your addresses I should be able to get them out tomorrow afternoon and I'm in Chicago so they SHOULD arrive for Christmas, price will still be whatever I said earlier, I can't imagine shipping being unreasonable being that they arrived in nice compact brown boxes. I know I've heard from three of you, the fourth I'll wait until like Christmas for (I know I didn't say to pm me in the first place) and then yours is going to the other guy who already wrote me :)