Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or you could just use the butter to make brown butter, then pour off the clarified liquid and reserve the yummy brown solids.

Personally when I sear I use rendered bacon fat. Gives it a slight smoky flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
YESSS thank you sous vide thread, just checked my email and it's shipped. :swoon:

I actually get a bit more extreme when I do sous vide personally. I'll let the steak dry out in the fridge overnight, sous vide it, then let the steak dry out again and chill in the fridge overnight. Gets a beautiful crust when it's finally seared. Overall it takes like, 3 days.

gently caress I'll need to buy a rack of ribeye then...

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay rather silly question: Anyone know if I can sous vide a steak and take it on a transatlantic flight?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Only if they are containers of 100ml or less

What? :raise:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrEnigma posted:

You don't enjoy a good steak purée?

I really have no idea what you guys mean. :(

bear named tators posted:

Is it a good idea to reheat a steak that was svizzled at 120º by svizzling it back to 120º?

120* is the point where bacterial growth primarily stops. It's not in the reasonable kill zone of 130* or so. I'd be wary of having a steak that raw done sous vide, but it isn't necessarily gonna kill you. What exactly is your planned setup?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It depends on what temp you vizzled at. Low temp vizzling (130* ish) leads to less liquid, higher temp (145*) leads to more.

Me, I always dry my steaks out for a day in the fridge beforehand so more liquid and flavor is retained in the meat.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Rendered bacon fat. Nothing beats it. ;)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say that's a bad idea. A sous vide rig can heat up a small quantity of water really quickly, but if not then you've got a hunk of meat gradually working its way through the danger zone. If the water is tepid you'd be essentially placing your meat in an incubator.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was preparing some sous vide onions for french onion soup, but unfortunately I used yellow onions instead, and cut across the equator instead of pole to pole and now I've got onion mush.

I'll get some proper red onions and save the yellow onion mush for a stock or jam or something.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Enjoying a sous vide ribeye done at 132.5* for 3 hours. I know most people don't think it should go that long, but I like mine done a bit more so all the collagen has gotten all nice and melty.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

Who's this `most people'? Three hours at 55C/131F is just over what you'd figure as the minimum pasteurisation time for a ribeye, without getting out your callipers. And it's not going to get appreciably more `done' if you leave it in longer. Or denature meaningful amounts of collagen into gelatin---you're right at the bare-rear end minimum temperature for it to start happening in any appreciable way at all, and for it to happen enough to affect mouthfeel is something you're usually looking at 24-48 hours for, even in a piece of meat that has more collagen to convert in the first place.

I mean I'm not criticising your 3 hours@132F cook. You just seem to be suggesting that that's a long time to sous vide a ribeye, and it really isn't.

Actually for the given time and temp I've specified I generally get very good results on softening up the connective tissues. Instead of tough fibrous bands of muscular fascia I've got muscular fascia that's edible, just a little bit chewy.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, there's a definite difference. At 1 hour @130*F the band of fascia surrounding the inner "eye" is much too fibrous to eat and is tough to saw through with a steak knife. You end up having to scrape off the meat scraps from the fascia, and chewing on it would be like chewing a hunk of really tough plastic. By 3 hours it's become as easy to slice through as the rest of the meat and is just as easy to chew.

It can't be a matter of the cut, since I did two individual steaks cut from the same ribeye roast at home for these given times.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd urge you to try it sometime then, SubG. It's true that very little of the fat renders out, but the connective tissue is definitely softer. I've done this a dozen times or so and I've always found that the 3-hour mark is when the CT becomes edible.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, I realize that ribeye has very little collagen in the meat itself. I'm referring to the fascia layer that separates the inner eye from the outer skirt. THAT gets significantly and noticeably softer after 3 hours in the puddle machine.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
At first I thought that was a pile of beets and the whole dish was vegetarian. Even though I'm an avid meat addict I have to say I'm mildly disappointed that it wasn't.

Looks gorgeous though! I'm personally working on a modified chicken porchetta recipe that will be done in the sous vide.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yep that one, just using chicken instead of turkey and I'm using half the recipe for the seasoning paste.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I need a way bigger water basin: it would've come in handy for pasteurizing my mead must before pitching the yeast. Currently I'm just using a 2.5-gallon stock pot and it's way too small.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Made eggs benedict for the very first time. It was also my very first hollandaise!

Sous vide really does make poached eggs freakishly easy. Just vizzle the eggs for 1 hour at 145*F, let it cool, crack the top and pour the contents into a bowl, then pour the contents of the bowl into a pot of swirled boiling water for one minute.

Should've taken some photos. I'll be honest, eggs benedict isn't as tasty as I'd hoped but it was still quite nice. Used salmon instead of cured pork product. I'll make another batch with some tobiko spread on the english muffin later.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I did use some fresh parsley, but I'll take the dill recommendation into advisement. Thanks!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Makin' a beef shank osso bucco. The red wine sauce is simmering away, I'll sous vide the seared shanks overnight when it's done. :)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey can anyone tell me the height in inches of the maximum fill line for the Sansaire? I'm trying to buy a food-grade plastic container from the restaurant supply store next door to my workplace.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bob_McBob posted:

6.5" from the base to the max fill line. It can sit on the bottom of the container.

Thanks. Looks like the basins available at the restaurant supply store don't quite fit my styrofoam box very well. I think I may just buy a 6-liter basin of the proper height and just pour some liquid polyurethane foam over it or something to form an insulated shell.

EDIT: God DAMMIT I forgot to take pictures of my osso bucco again! It was just too delicious so I just tucked in without thinking! :(

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 2, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just salted four duck legs last night, and gently tea-smoked them this afternoon. They're still raw on the inside so I popped them in the fridge quick. I'm currently thawing my store of duck fat and will be cooking these suckas confit in a 165* F vizzle for a day or so.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kalista posted:

Sunday breakfast was "steak" and eggs. Chuck roast at 132F for 15 hours, eggs at 167F for 13 minutes. It was delicious, and the rest of the chuck will end up as french dip sandwiches for dinner tonight. If anyone has au jus suggestions, I'd love to hear them (I got about 3/4 cup reserved liquid from the sous vide bag after cooking).

drat those are some nice firm whites. How was the yolk? And did you take the eggs straight out of the fridge or were they at room temp when you popped them in the vizzle?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's just a plate with a matte finish.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What's the opinion on liquid smoke?

EDIT: Also dipped into my batch of sous vide poached eggs for a midnight snack:

Decided to abstain from the hollandaise though because I don't care for it much.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think you need to worry about poached eggs the same way you need to concern yourself about meat. The bacteria pretty much all reside outside on the shell, and immersing the eggs in a 142*F water bath for an hour is sufficient to pasteurize it pretty effectively. Mine are just a few days old and still in the shell, so I just crack one open and dump it in a boiling water vortex when I need one. I suppose they can keep a few days longer than normal eggs.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, but upon poaching I turned off the heat, then used a digital thermometer and lowered the pot's water to about 144*F. I let the egg sit in there for 10 minutes or so while I prepped all the other ingredients. By that stage the yolk's heated through sufficiently without cooking any further.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 16, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why? By the time it gets to boiling the egg yolk would've likely cooked through quite a bit.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My plating is absolute poo poo because I drowned the loving thing in the bag juice sauce. Tried to reduce it, but it was already super thick from all the collagen melting into the bag juices during the 48 hour braise. Tender as hell and quite tasty though.

As you can see, I finished the meal with the succulent marrow spread on a piece of english muffin.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Up next, wagyu beef chuck roast, 36 hours at 132* F.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

WhiteHowler posted:

My Sansaire just arrived yesterday, so I'm going to take my first shot at sous vide steak today.

My idea is to pick up something at lunchtime, season, and cook at 137F for 5-6 hours (whenever my wife gets home).

Is there a particularly good cut of beef for this? My local Publix tends to focus on pricier steaks and roasts, but I figure since this is going for several hours, I might get more flavor out of something with more connective tissue.

Depending on the steak this is probably far too long. I'd just get a decent cut and vizzle it for an hour or two before chucking it in a hot pan.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just made sous vide duck confit a l'orange recently. Just tossed some salt, sugar, orange zest and thyme in a blender and pureed it, then smeared it on my duck legs and left it to cure for a few days. Washed the salt off, popped it in a bag with a couple tablespoons of duck fat, and vizzled for 12 hours at 167* F. Pretty fantastic.

Frankly I'm just going crazy experimenting with it right now. I'm gonna do a whole pig heart next: stuffing the thing with a saute of bacon, onions, fresh thyme, carrots, and crushed garlic, and gonna do it at 130* F overnight just to see what happens.

BTW sounds silly, but I really recommend finding a few good, smooth river rocks. When I double-bag my meat for overnight sous vides, I just chuck a couple rocks in the second bag to help weigh it down and fully immerse it.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"Hey guys sorry things are going so slow, we just had too many wads of cash being tossed at us and we're trying to sort everything out." :(

Not trying to deride them or anything, but man that'd be a nice problem to have in life.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chicken breast poached at 145*F for an hour, served with a creamy morel sauce and a potato-parsnip mash.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why magnets?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MeKeV posted:

I bagged some pork loin medallions with a splash of oil and did them at 60deg for very nearly 2 hours. I was going to serve them seared whole with some veg but the other half then tells me they were bought for a stir fry.

I cubed them up and then browned them off. They had a nice enough flavour but they weren't particularly pleasant in texture.

I wish I'd tried a bit before browning to see if they were any different then. But I'd be surprised if they were significantly 'better' before hand.

Wrong time or wrong temp? Or just not a meat cut where sous vide gets the best out of it?

The whole point of sous vide cooking is to bring your meat to the perfectly desired temperature for a uniform, carefully controlled level of doneness, with the added benefit of tenderizing tougher cuts without overcooking them. Why in the world would you cook something sous vide then cube it for stir fry?

That'd be like taking two hours to carve an ice swan, then smashing it to pieces and using the cubes to chill your drink. Then wondering why your ice sculpture isn't so visually impressive after you spent all that time on it.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holeee shiiit. 72 hour shortribs seasoned with a spice mix are amazing. :stare:

Will post recipe and pics after I do another batch. This one was just too delicious.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Akaushi Wagyu beef grass-fed ribeye. poo poo was 24$ a pound, but I'm gonna make it worth every cent. I've read up on cooking grass-fed beef and I've heard 6-8 hours in the puddle machine at 130* F. That sound right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My experience is that grass-fed beef is indeed much less fatty and has way less marbling. It's a very different beast compared to grain-fed, both in flavor and texture.