Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My biggest question about sous vide is about the pasteurization element - when you sous vide chicken, do you need to extend cooking time by x before it is pasteurized? Or does the sear generally kill most of the bacteria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever tried sous vizzling with the Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

Got my email just now and came to post this. Since I am within an hour's drive of where these shipped from (or so I think) I may be sous vide-ing this weekend.
I cannot freaking wait.

They're shipping from Los Angeles, correct?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Got my sansaire. Immediately proceeded to svizzle some chops and 4 eggs. One cracked so I've already had to clean it up, but hurray for easy cleanup!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I just found one near my house for $30ish. Excited about this pickup.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I saw these earlier on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063HZVBC/

It looks like they'll work with Foodsavers.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I made this last night:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/white-rice-with-slow-cooked-egg-and-furikake.html

It was pretty fantastic:

There is an egg under that furikake.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Made 38-hour short ribs. Turned out pretty fantastic.

For sauce, I strained the juice, sauteed some shallots and garlic, put some rice wine, soy sauce, a little pear juice, and a little brown sugar to make a galbi-jjim sauce.

Made the creamy mashed potatoes from Modernist Cuisine, topped it off with deep-fried shallots, and put some arugula on the side for some contrast.

It was fantastic.

Today, I'm eating Korean short rib tacos with Kimchi relish on the side.

I love puddlin.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I've looked at some recipes for sous vide chicken wings for tonight. A few of them seem to conflict with the Modernist Cuisine one recommending 140 for 1 hour whereas a few people report that collagen breaks down better at 170 for that time. ANyone have any experience with Chicken Wings in their puddler?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I dropped my Sansaire. It has some difficulty turning off now but it still functions like a champ!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Does the Searzall cause alot of smoke as well?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

I would be interested in this since I am basically forbidden from torching indoors. I have set off all the smoke detectors one too many times...

My girlfriend has decided I can no longer use both the gas stove and the torch at the same time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ultimate-best-steak-ever-bone-in-ribeyes.html

The method described here is no longer allowed.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I imagine if you wanted to do the French Laundry preparation of Butter poached lobster, jars would be a perfect method of doing that.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Thomas Keller used to circulate butter as the cooking medium and poach lobster directly in the butter bath (if I'm not misremembering).

Right - this was more about jars and using a medium to cook. For our consumer grade circulators, I dont think the little motors will function well if you dip them in pure butter.

Also, butter is quite expensive relative to 4 gallons of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Foodahn posted:

Do yall have a goto temp for medium ribeye? I usually cook ribeye at 130 or 131F but my brother prefers medium (whatever that means, these terms fluctuate wildly in my experience).

I told him that I cook it in a cooler of water and he's convinced I'm an idiot so it should be a good experience for him regardless.

I personally use this as a guideline - http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

140 still turns out pretty decent and its still very moist when I do cook certain cuts of meat. For a nice rib eye, definitely try to convince him that Medium Rare for a Sous Vide steak as the way to go.