Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Did a cheap eye of round roast for 30 hours at 131 degrees, turned out fantastic. Pink from edge to edge and melt in your mouth tender. Not a hint of gristle or sinew in that cut so it got turned into French dip sandwiches with a quick jus. A+ will cook regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I can't get over how amazing sous vide chicken breasts are. Did a couple to 140 with a little coconut milk last night and had them sliced thin on top of some red curry and rice. Made the rest of the chicken into pho stock in the pressure cooker today per Kenji's recipe and will have the leftover breast sliced on top of that. Never thought id get excited for chicken breast outside of making them into crispy chicken burgs.

esperantinc posted:

I did this and had similar results. A++ would puddle again.

Nice, I'm getting a beef dip craving again now.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

The Pell posted:

Im looking for a crappy slab of meat that can be made to taste good when puddled.

I tried a chuck roast and it was terrible. Im thinking either a top or bottom round next.

Any suggestions?

Round worked great for me as I mentioned a few pages back. 130 for 30 hours, tender and pink from edge to edge and very beefy.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Oh my loving god. Sous vide cod is the loving best.

Recipe please, I'm getting sick of fish and chips and I've got a bunch of wild pacific cod sealed up in the freezer.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah I've been wanting to try the MC hollandaise and some nice cod with maybe a little fresh tarragon sounds like a good way to try it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Scallops are sear-flip-sear-done.

this and buying the freshest untreated scallops and you can't really gently caress them up

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
put it in the microwave for a couple minutes

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
did up some nice local boerwor and farmer sausages bagged with salted beer last night a la serious eats. quick brown in a nonstick then served in warm buns with mustard, sauerkraut and onions. A+ very juicy and tender, would eat again

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

What's salted beer taste like? Sounds cool.

haha its just beer(i used pilsener) with a couple of teaspoons of salt in the bag with it. supposedly keeps the sausages juicier than plain beer :iiam:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
trap sprung!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

That's what I mean, yeah, just compared to two or three minutes over a nonstick :v:. they were great eggs, though.

Made a batch of boneless skinless chicken breasts today. It's black loving sorcery here that skinless chicken breast can come out tasting good in any way.

sous vide chicken breasts sliced thin with a little lime juice and salt on top of pressure cooker pho ga has to be one of the fastest, tastiest low effort meals out there, I'm totally addicted

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Dem Bones posted:

What recipe do you follow for this? Searching turned up this Serious Eats pressure cooker pho ga recipe, but that uses chicken drumsticks in the pressure cooker which are what's then also used as the chicken in the dish. It seems like leaving the chicken out of the pressure cooker would cut down on the flavor in the broth, and adding more sous vide chicken to the pressure-cooked chicken would be redundant…

I use that recipe and just use chicken backs/wingtips/random parts instead of drumsticks for the broth then put thin sliced sv chicken breast on top. Or you could use drumsticks and save the shredded meat for something else. But the sv breasts are light years ahead of the pressure cooked drumstick meat he uses for the protein in that recipe.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made some of the serious eats sous vide corned beef with a 3lb flat brisket I got at a local butcher. 1 week dry brine with spices, salt and Prague powder in a bag in the fridge then I strayed from the recipe and sous vided it for 48 hours at 60 Celsius. Rested in the fridge for a couple of days then steamed and sliced thin for Reubens with some homemade sauerkraut. Very tender, amazing flavor pretty similar to the smoked meat I usually enjoy, maybe a touch saltier. A+ will make again, maybe smoke with a spice rub for pastrami next time.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Symetrique posted:

I just finished mine too! I didnt stray from the recipe, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'll probably try your temp and time on the next one though.

Yeah I normally never mess with a recipe the first time but I read enough reviews from people who got better results from low and slow that I didn't mind this time

Chemmy posted:

I posted a big sous vide pastrami writeup in the charcuterie thread if anybody's interested.

That looks great although it seems strange to smoke it before bagging and cooking

large hands fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 28, 2016

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made kenjis sv chuck with the fattiest boneless crossrib potroast I could find. 36 hours in the bag with salt, pink salt, liquid smoke and pepper, a week in the fridge then just over an hour in the oven to finish (it was only a 2lb roast).

I was a little worried that it would be dry after I saw the amount of liquid and gelatin that came out of the bag but it was tender and delicious with a great bark. After people's comments that it came out salty I rinsed it off after I took it out of the bag and just rubbed it down with black pepper. It was pink all the way through from the tiny bit of curing salt. Served it on white sourdough with pickles and a homemade mustard based BBQ sauce, very good, will make again.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I find vac pack meats, even sliced salami and such, often have a funky smell when you open them. I got a rack of lamb that smelled weird on unsealing but was fine after cooking.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
after being disappointed with Kenji's corned beef recipe when prepared to that recipe(chewy and mouth burningly salty) i decided to do the second half like he did the brisket in his newer sv "bbq" brisket recipe.

24 hours in the bag at 155 then two in the oven at 300 gave a way better texture, juicy and flaky like good corned beef or smoked meat. still too salty for me even with a plain pepper rub before roasting but I'll definitely do it again and cut the brine salt by half.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm planning to make Kenji's sous-vide all-belly porchetta for Christmas dinner (this recipe). I've done a baby version of it before with just a slice of pork belly, and that was great excepting some holding-itself-together problems that came from it not being a full log, but I'm curious if anyone has any made this and has any advice.

my only advice is to never, ever try a recipe for the first time when you're cooking for other people/an occasion

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I'm gonna go for it. Am I likely to risk any weird flavour shifts if I leave it rolled in the fridge for a couple of days?

yeah, I was being a little flippant saying to never make something new for guests. if you're comfortable sous videing and roasting you should be fine.

i guess the key is to listen to people who've tried the recipe so you don't get a kenji salt-surprise or something similar.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Glottis posted:

Anyone followed this brisket recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

I'm having a belated Hanukkah party and it seems appropriate to try my first brisket and make it into some sort of appetizer.

I haven't tried that particular one but i would heed the standard Kenji warning and try it with half the salt the first time. His SV corned beef was almost inedibly salty when i made it to the recipe.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
found some nice strips at Costco on the weekend

132 for an hour then into the cast iron

had it with steamed veggies, rice and some homemade sesame steak sauce

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Gross, soggy buns and hot lettuce.

the buns get their own bags and you dunk the lettuce in liquid nitrogen before serving, dumbass

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I like sv burgers deep fried.

I'm gonna make the modernist cuisine burg one of these days just for the hell of it

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
lmao

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
found some really nicely marbled boneless short ribs at Costco, just put them in at 144 to sit for 48 hours. will report back...

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Hopper posted:

80 C water for 3 minutes in a cup? Why do you want to sous vide a tea?

haha look at this chump who doesn't know how to make the best tea

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I thought garlic could like be sold in stores for a really long time because they perserve so well naturally?

botulism grows in anaerobic environments, so it's not a concern until you put garlic in oil or mayonnaise etc. for long enough for spore growth

e: or stick it in a vacuum bag for extended lengths of time i guess

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Epiphyte posted:

Is tilapia improved at all by sous vide? MY GIRLFRIEND wants to start eating more seafood but has this inexplicable attachment to the damp sponge flavor of tilapia.

tell your girlfriend that most tilapia is raised in literal garbage ponds full of human poo poo in southeast asia

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
pickled an eye of round for 8 days, then cooked at 132 for 24 hours then rolled in pepper and coriander for a sort of lean pastrami. super juicy and melts in your mouth. time for reubens

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

the yeti posted:

Am I right in thinking you wouldn't want to sv it with the pepper and coriander because the pepper especially can get mighty weird on longer cooks?

i figured it would get soggy and wash off with the bag juices honestly. if i had a smoker i would have rolled it in spices then smoked it as a final step i think

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Doesn't David Chang actually crack the eggs into baggies and then sous vide those? Could have sworn I saw him or someone else do that, and while I haven't tried it, it does seem like a good way to address the problem I always have with SV poached eggs where the white never sets enough. That way you can just pull the solid poached egg out and leave the snotty white in the bag and you don't have to worry about accidentally popping your yoke when cracking and peeling the egg before serving.

i think I've seen ferran adria tie up an egg in a baggie of plastic wrap and sous vide it that way after adding shaved truffle to the egg white

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Jan posted:

Speaking of chuck roast, my grocery had this cheap "cross rib roast" steak, so I figured I'd not turn down a $5 chunk of beef meat.

Trouble is, I can't find much on how to treat it besides "it's kind of like chuck roast". I was thinking to puddle it like a roast (18-24 hours at 135F/56C) and sear it like a steak. Any better ideas?

i made some into a massaman curry in the pressure cooker, it was very tender after 30 minutes. it's lean and very beefy so probably either cook it rare and slice thin across the grain or just use it for a stew or curry and cook the poo poo out of it at high heat.

large hands fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 22, 2017

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I have never gotten that to work. It emulsifies, but it doesn't thicken at all. Maybe my butter's not hot enough.

it has to be hot right out of the pan, it's failed for me in the past when I've waited for it to cool a bit

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Delicious Baked Bean Tacos will change the way you think about Mexican food!

Sponsored by Bush's Baked Beans

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Anyone got recommendations other than short ribs? THey are also pricey here...

eye of round roast at 132 for 24 hours, slice thin for roast beef sandwiches/beef dip

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
my new favorite weeknight fast dinner is 149 degree chicken breast sliced over pho. couple of instant pho cubes in chicken stock with a little hoisin and Sriracha, banh pho and spring onions/cilantro/Thai basil/bean sprouts. lime juice and sea salt on the sliced chicken. no need to sear the chicken. so good

i don't mind making the soup from scratch on weekends but the payoff/time doing it this way is awesome.

large hands fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 12, 2017

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

God what is with you loving white people and chicken breast

I'm basically enjoying them for the first time in my life since I got into SV. I use thighs for most other things but the breasts slice nice and thin and are perfect on top of a bowl of noodles.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I live in Western canada and have never heard of a cottage roll but google tells me you can brine a rolled boneless pork shoulder in:

quote:

1 gallon of water
1 cup Kosher salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. of Cure #1 (pink salt).
1 tbsp. allspice
2 tbsp. juniper berries
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 tbsp. coriander
1 tbsp. whole black pepper
5 whole cloves or 1 tsp. ground cloves
15 whole bay leaves
(alternately, you can use 5 tbsp. of pickling spice instead of the previous seven ingredients that make up the spice combination)

Heat the Kosher salt, pickling salt and brown sugar in the water until dissolved. Add the spices. Refrigerate until cool.

for a week. Sounds like pork pastrami and I think I have to try it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Feenix posted:

YEah that was the recipe I followed, to the "T" and no mention of a bath. Just to drain and peel under cold water. In fact I even put them in a bowl of cold water...

I didn't sous vide them but I just did kenjis six minute ramen eggs the other night and they worked fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ulmont posted:

Instant pot is the only way to fly but I'd second steam as the next best.

What's your instant pot ramen egg technique?