Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Costco has the Anova kit with the bin for $150, it's 1000W, but is it really worth it over this no-brand for like $52? Does the extra 200W matter much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Test Pattern posted:

My Anova has lived in one of these https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-18-Quart-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BM712U?th=1 since I got it. I've been meaning to cut a corner of the lid for six years, but just never get around to it, so I just use tin foil, mostly for water retention during long cooks. Zero regrets, twenty bucks well spent.

Also, big sale on Anova sticks at Amazon -- the current version of the original for $139, the Pro for an unheard-of $199.

I have a Nano on no-rush shipping, worth canceling and getting one of the higher models?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Test Pattern posted:

I've never used the Nano, but I was one of the first 100 on the kickstarter for the original, and though they've had to replace it since then, I am perfectly happy with it -- reports are the nano can struggle with enough water to do bigger or multiple items.

Right now Amazon has the original for $120 ($140 and there's a $19 off coupon for me), I think I'll send the nano back and get the original. Is the pro worth the step up to $200, or just get the original?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

poeticoddity posted:

I choose to believe bird with big dick has averaged 4 steaks per meal for over three years.

we've discovered the secret forums identity of Saxton Hale

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
how do you seal up a whole turkey like that? is there like a special x-large food-saver bag that uses the accesory pump or something? or are you just putting it in a brining bag and squishing out as much of the air as possible?

and what kind of container are you using? can you clip onto something as thick as an ice chest wall?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
oh, just a breast

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
heh, yeah, my Anova arrived so I'm doing my first steak, that Prime NY strip loin Costco had on black friday. What times would you recommend for a 1.5" strip steak? Also, how do you modify the times when going from frozen? I'm defrosting this one first so I can season it, but for the future?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
previously I tried chicken at 146.5, that was really really soft, like on the gross side as people have mentioned.

last night I tried 160F, and that's definitely a "well done" texture, still nice and moist but firmer than I guess I was looking for.

This was a batch of breast I used with fajita seasoning for burritos, not bad, it's obviously not gourmet fancy grilled but it's super easy and doesn't dry out like chicken sometimes can when you overcook it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I mentioned I did a batch of chicken breasts with fajita seasoning, I was slicing up some jalapenos and it occurred to me that I could slice up some jalapenos first and throw them in the bag with the chicken? might get some good flavor like that (although the jalapenos themselves may not be fully cooked since it looks like you want to do those closer to 190 than mid-150s like chicken).

while doing that I also came on some recipes for sous-vide pickled jalapenos and then it occurred to me that you could do carrots the same way. Anova has a recipe for that as well.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-pickled-jalapenos

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-petite-pickled-carrots

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yo my S/O and I have been sous viding chicken thighs for lunches en masse and then freezing them, definitely interested in advice like this on marinades and seasoning to go with it. We tried a harissa-based rub and it came out great. Goddamn I love sous vide

I'm still a beginner but the advice I've read is that marinades don't work well on sous vide for a variety of reasons. Sous vide doesn't really need the "added liquid" aspect of a marinade, or the "acid to break down the meat and make it tender" aspect, and it doesn't cook the marinade into a sauce like it does in stovetop/oven cooking, it will stay very, very liquid since there's no liquid boiling off. Since the outside of the meat tends to cook first, they also don't soak in while cooking. So if you were going to do a marinade, you would probably want to do it before.

But I think the better recommendation overall is to try and replace liquid marinades with dry rubs and spice blends. The one I'm struggling a bit with is how to adapt things like lemon juice - I guess you can zest a lemon but that's a lot of zest, and what I'm reading on amazon reviews is that dried zest doesn't work very well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

life is killing me posted:

From what I read HDPE should be good for a short time at temps over boiling, and below boiling point it should be fine for longer periods, but I was still a little hesitant to use the bucket. It’s just the only thing I had that could fit all three 2lb cuts.

get a cooler or something

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

life is killing me posted:

Not sure of any science behind it or lack thereof, but I can tell you I did 6lbs of pulled pork in SV. It went from the bath to the smoker after I dried it off and added more rub. It was excellent and still moist and tender. So most likely it’s the former, just decreases the energy efficiency of your fridge and makes it work harder, if you put it in the fridge before the smoker at all, which isn’t really necessary unless you’re not doing the smoking portion right away.

my man kenji needs to experimentally determine whether it's better to allow the meat to rest and allow the water to flow back in before rehydrating, or to have the meat make fewer temperature cycles

/Look Around You voice: An experiment was carried out to determine...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
sous vide asparagus is p. great with a little lemon juice. think I'm gonna pick up some more what with it being $1 a pound right now.

Zarin posted:

I suppose the real question here is: what does she want you to cook that you can't with your current sealer? :v:

chamber vacuum sealers are just a lot nicer in general. they pull a much better vacuum, they make much better seals (I've had some problems with my foodsaver not getting a good enough seal and it letting go during prolonged high-temperature cooking - 180F for an hour or two is tough, although my new one with the sous vide mode seems to work better), you can pack liquids like soups, they are designed for higher duty cycles, etc etc.

I've got no info on that one in particular, and it looks a little small (the downside to chamber vacuum sealers is that everything you're sealing has to fit inside the chamber - so you can't seal arbitrarily large things like steaks, fish filets, etc if they are too big for the chamber), but you can pick up chinese knockoffs of the bigger units for about $400 as well. You probably do want a model with an oil pump, you have to change the oil every now and then but they are heavier duty than the air-cooled ones.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
growing less satisfied with my results from sous vide NY strip steaks. I've been doing 132F for 2 hours (from frozen) and I don't really like the way the fat comes out. I make sure to sear the fat cap specifically to try and let it render a bit, but it's still got some fatty chunks that aren't really great texturally. Not sure if I should go up to 135 or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
let's talk reusable bags... has anyone had any success with that? should I just pick up some of the foodsaver brand ones (they're running a buy-3-packs-get-3-packs free promo on their site right now)? Or are any of the other any better, either functionally or in terms of food safety/etc?