Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zarin posted:

Do you need to thaw it first, or just put it on the heat and let it go?

If you can outline their basic gist of it, I'd be more than happy for the info!
You can roast it from frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anjow posted:

I just got a cheap immersion circulator and did some very thick cut bacon in it at 63C for 13h. I'd laid it in a ziploc bag in a single layer, but if I was going to do this in the future on a larger scale would it really matter if it was in a single layer, provided there's still no air?
I think a lot of people say that it doesn't actually matter, but OTOH a vaccum sealer at least makes the whole thing less messy and more convenient so you probably want to pick up a cheap vacuum sealer if you're going to be doing sous vide.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girl wants to do some zucchini noodles, and I’m wondering if there’s a sweet spot temp I could sous vide them at to keep them texturally interesting but not raw. I could always start at 180 and see what that gives me.
If you don't want them fully cooked wouldn't you be better off quickly blanching them and plunging them into ice water or something? I've never really tried sous viding vegetables, though, and I guess some people do carrots so it may be possible.