Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I'm not British :911: but quick research indicates that "grey" is far more prominently used in Britain just as "gray" is far more prominently used in America.

Pictured: British actor Adam Godley, who probably uses "grey."

Richard Grey from Fallout hosed me all sorts of up on spelling Gray correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Max posted:

What? I can't tell if this is a joke, but that's not what he meant. He says "Tell them I wanted bacon and eggs on my birthday. They'll know what that means."

He knows that they know he had bacon and eggs for free because he said it was his birthday when he was at Denny's earlier. That would prove that he was actually there and talked to her THAT DAY.

I don't believe you are correct.

quote:

Walt: Call the DEA once I leave and tell them I was here. That I forced my way in, tell them, tell them I wanted bacon and eggs on my birthday and that I gave you that ticket. Those numbers are GPS coordinates.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"Get me home and I'll do the rest" is Walt talking to the car? Why would the car care? Why would the car need to be re-assured that all it'd need to do is "get him home," like it was gonna loving hop up onto two wheels, grab the M60 and join Walt on his assault on the compound?

I mean, you know what? I'll grant it's a possibility and a fair interpretation of the scene, but this poo poo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is exactly my take on the scene, and why the last thread was so frustrating to read for me. I couldn't catch up quickly enough to share my thoughts, but he wasn't talking to his split personality that doesn't exist, he was talking to the loving car. Jesus, people.

is sooooo annoying to me. It's like the guy a few pages back who thought the bacon and eggs line was supposed to be a lead to Denny's and was a total dick to people who were reading the scene right. The finale is loaded with dialogue that is supposed to be up to you to interpret.

I mean poo poo, don't they even talk about this on the podcast, about Walt's "devil's luck?" To me the scene wasn't Walt praying to a god, but a higher power. Whether or not he made it home was completely up to fate, at any point in his journey he could have been stopped by police and it would be game over.

I didn't necessarily think he was talking to Heisenberg, but my reaction to that was "huh, that's a pretty neat take too!" not "ugh, loving PLEBS :rolleyes:'

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

You could reasonably interpret that Walt was either praying to God or the show's symbol for The Devil (Heisenberg). He could be praying to either of two opposite supernatural forces for help, and either interpretation could make sense. Isn't that amazing? Isn't that more interesting than just saying that there's one clear answer to who he was calling out to there?

Did you not read the last sentence in my post? Because I totally agree with you.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What's the deal with the meetup in Mexico with Mike, anyway? Are we just supposed to assume that Jesse called Mike to rendezvous without anything boiling over on the phone and the general consensus was "ok i'll drive there and you drive here and we'll meet up or something." Seems like a logistical issue. Whatever though it was a cool scene.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

I can't imagine that Jesse has a dollar left to his name anymore.

This is hardly a bad thing from where Jesse is standing.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

It ended perfectly for Heisenberg, which is the problem. I wanted Walt to die alone and unloved in the cabin, or be shot by Jesse, or be sealed in a box with a vial of poison that will be released if a radioactive isotope decays.

I can understand not liking Walt, but seriously? Are people just trying to be Kingshit of Moralty Mountain by being the most critical of Walt at this point?

Walt may have been an enormous prick at times, and he ultimately got what was coming to him. But I can't understand how you can't empathize with him to the point where you're actively rooting for him to fail at his goals in the final episode and die unfulfilled.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I absolutely agree that there are characters more empathetic than Walt, but at the end of the day it's still a story about Walt. In my opinion ending it with Walt failing horribly would have been a pretty lovely end to the arc, even if it is probably what he deserves.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Why does the main character of a work need to 'succeed' for it to be good? Do you only watch superhero movies or something? It would be just as dramatically appropriate, if a bit too pat, to have Jesse (the character I cared about the most) or Hank or Skylar kill him.

Did he have to? No. Does it make for a better ending in my opinion? Yeah, it does. I guess this gets down to the debate in the days following the finale whether the ending was too neatly wrapped up or not.

I think an ending where Walter failed completely to reconnect with his family(compared to what little we got, anyway) and died without accomplishing anything meaningful in the last episode would have been letdown to me. From the beginning, this has been a story about Walter White. Just because some great characters have been introduced since the first episode who have proven themselves more empathetic than Walt doesn't change that.

I don't want this to turn into a shouting match, because fundamentally I don't really disagree with you and this is totally a matter of opinion. But I'm happy Breaking Bad didn't settle for a bleak, mostly-open-to-interpretation ending. Like every single fuckin' major drama ends that way nowadays, it's exhausting.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sorry but that sounds pretty terrible for a lot of reasons, not the least of which being that Jesse would probably spend the rest of his life in a jail cell

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If you rooted for Walt in the sense that you enjoyed watching Walt coming up with amazing plans to get what he wants (be it "this is not meth," poisoning Brock, or the "confession" tape,) then that's not really rooting for the character, that's rooting to see entertaining television.

Rooting for Walter White means wanting him to be validated, for his family to appreciate all he has done for them and for him to die feeling great about all he accomplished over his last years on earth.

"Rooting for" is such a loaded term, though. It's really selling this series short to say that Walt is The Devil. We're in his shoes throughout nearly the entire series, and one of the reasons its such a compelling series is that we get to see his whole descent. I guess you could say I was rooting for Walt to succeed in his short-term goals in the last two episodes, but I wasn't hoping he's escape to start a new drug empire having learned absolutely nothing after his whatever-long cabin stay. I was also rooting for Jesse to escape his prison and come out ahead of Mr. White in the long run, and in the episodes before that, I was solidly on Team Hank.

There's a lot of bad in Walt. We see a lot of good, too. When Hank dies, it's not gears spinning in his his head blurting out "Oh, well now Skyler is going to be very mad and by extension my son will also be mad and" as part of some Aspergian calculation, it is genuine grief.

I could really go on, but there a wealth of examples throughout the entire series showing Walt's humanity. I feel like at this point people are using Walt as some sort of scapegoat villain-of-the-series to morally absolve other characters who have done a wealth of lovely poo poo like Jesse and Hank.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

That Gilligan interview is mid-boggling because Walt has always been a terrible liar, except I guess when he convinced Mike to let him call Jesse.

Walt's a pretty good liar when he needs to be, look at how he tricked Jesse into thinking Gus poisoned Brock. Or how well he strings Marie and Hank along. Basically the only people he really sucks at lying to are Skyler and Walt Jr.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't think Hank ended up being a moral badass. I get that the scene added some grey morality, but it really made me stop rooting for Hank when he said how he didn't really give a poo poo whether Jesse lived or died. Sure, Jesse's a murderer by that point, but to just let him die so you can maybe get evidence against your brother in law who is already dying and probably won't end up in prison is really despicable and not at all a heroic action.

It really drives home that Hank isn't doing this for moral reasons. He's doing it because he felt betrayed by Walt and wanted to be the one who caught him. It ended up costing him his life in the end.

Not saying Walt was in the right through all of this, just that Hank wasn't, either.

PriorMarcus posted:

The reason why the characters act different in the first season is because they had yet to under go any changes. Character development is the entire point of a serialised drama.

It's not because of some bias point of view that the show ditches as it moves forward you loving spergs.

It's neat how you said what two posters have already said, just subtracting an actual explanation and adding "loving SPERGS." You seem really cool

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Walter white

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

I get the impression Walt did some Heisenberg esque workplace manipulation at a couple of old workplaces in an attempt to climb the ladder, failed dismally, lost jobs and sank into a depression that saw him work as a high school chem teacher for a decade. Breaking Bad is the joyous story of one man overcoming that depression. :D

I don't really get that impression. Walt breaks bad at the start of the series, not before. From the explanation on how he just kind of ditched out on his relationship with Gretchen and Gray Matter after that without any sort of fight implied, to the story about how he met Skyler, it seems like pre-BB Walt's big problem was passiveness and fear of taking any sort of big risks.

Pre-BB Walter certainly had problems but between the flashbacks we've seen(including the Hank minisode, which is hilarious) and the glimpses into his pre-cancer teaching career and home life, he really comes off like a good guy who turned to crime under the right set of circumstances. It kind of takes away from Walt's slippery slope into criminality if there's no real starting point.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

escape artist posted:

I completely agree, and I came in here after watching it and got poo poo on for not enjoying that scene. I thought it was really stupid, and like you said, was a jarring shift in tone from the entire episode. Frankly, Giancarlo Esposito deserved better.

"I WILL KILL YOUR INFANT DAUGHTER"
"Not if I first use my special wheelchair bomb to blow off half your face, you dastardly devil!"

The entire premise of this show is based on a man being capable of making magical, impossibly high quality meth. As a general rule if you ever feel the need to postface any of your comments with "CUE EVERYONE SAYING _________" it is because your opinion is consistently awful about everything

edit: Wait I forgot you wouldn't accept the magical meth answer because you studied under some Zen Meth Master who made 99.9% blue meth in real life. Tell us that authentic, not completely made up for what could only be conceivably pathetic reasons again. As I recall you wrote a book about it, maybe post the book

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 12, 2014

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

escape artist posted:

So here's a fun fact: I WAS writing a book with a man who was a meth kingpin. His teacher's teacher was the man who invented the blue meth. He was actually a college professor, not a high school teacher. He (the blue meth innovator) died in 2006, 2 years before his life was turned into a billion dollar franchise. Sadly, the book fell through, because working with someone who smokes meth regularly is as difficult, if not worse, than you can imagine, and I could only tolerate so much.

escape artist didn't know that blue meth wasn't real

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Well, this is a drat shame. I liked operating under the assumption that theres no way the portrayal of meth on the show would ever inspire somebody to try it but now I realize that was a pretty naive assumption :ohdear:

Meth is loving terrible.

Edit: they glorify production to an extent but drug usage is always shown as pretty gruesome, from atm-head-crush to Jane's whole character to Jesse's community meth den.

"But the recent, rapidly increasing popularity of blue-tinted meth in the home of Breaking Bad has local authorities worried that it’s specifically being cooked up to advertise to new users who might be lured into trying it by the show’s cultural “cachet,” ... For example, Baltimore is overrun by crime and heroin, both of which were prominently featured on The Wire."

You heard it here first folks, The Wire is responsible for all the heroin and crime in Baltimore. Thanks a lot, David Simon.

God The AVClub is awful

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Explain the joke to me then because I don't really get it. It would work as a joke if the article was about a massive upshot in meth use in NM, but it's not. It's about people coloring their meth blue because of the show, which isn't exactly an absurd thing to suggest

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It was intentionally making a facetious parallel for the purpose of comedy because Boston has had those problems for a long time.

That's a really weird segue to include in a two-paragraph article. Whatever! Joke or not it was dumb >:O

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I liked season one, I think you guys are underselling how well the show explores Walter's head and why he heads down his path, which is really the foundation for why you care about the whole trip to begin with. Reading about how the non-meth stuff is boring reminds me of people who say The Sopranos was too slow in between people getting whacked.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things S1 is one of the weaker seasons but only comparatively speaking. It's still some of the best television out there. If you aren't sold by the "this is not meth" thing I can't imagine you ever will be but what do I know.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I think the only thing the pillow scene really had going for it was that it subverted character archetypes, which is a lot more rigid on a lot of other shows. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but it's the first time you see Hank really vulnerable trying to be a good brother-in-law to Walt and then flipping his decision once Walt says what he wants. It also shows Marie siding with Walt early on, which I didn't really expect to happen ever throughout the series.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Mike absolutely nails him in Season 5 for this stuff.

He absolutely does not, though. Look, I love Mike as next as the next guy but his final "own" on Walter was pretty much revisionist history. I feel like people forget the set of events that ended up with Walt in the doghouse with Gus in the first place. Jesse gets pissed and goes on a suicide run against the street dealers, and Walt saves Jesse in turn. People can spin this into being about "Walt's pride" or whatever but Vince Gilligan and the actors have been quite up front about the fact that Walt has a genuine connection to Jesse, even more than his own son.

So then Mike is mere seconds away from killing Walter, then when he thwarts that miraculously Gus slits Victor's throat in front of him without saying a word. It's absolute bullshit to pretend that Walt wouldn't have reason to expect the ax to come down on him and his family as soon as Gus had a suitable replacement.

So is Mike okay with the very first path, that ends with Jesse dead? Is he pretending Gus wasn't practically begging for Walt to kill him?

Walt does his fair share of deplorable poo poo S1-4 but I feel like the people pretending he was always 100% bad to the bone from episode one are kind of missing the forest for the trees. I think S5A is the root of the problem, where his actions become just completely prideful and unjustifiable. As much as I love that part of the series I think drilling this home as hard as they did was a mistake on the writer's part, one they corrected with S5B. He's still a dick, but the humanity's there.

Walt being as morally complex as he is is one of the reasons the show is so good.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 19, 2014

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Hank acts that way to drat near everyone prior to El Paso. We even see him trying to put that sort of act back on afterwards. Hank is an rear end in a top hat. He is not being a malicious rear end in a top hat, he is being an insensitive rear end in a top hat and pretty clearly does not mean much of what he says. People get annoyed or angry at him for certain but they don't treat it like he is actively trying to keep them down.

Walt does not have a perfect life. People act like shitheads to him sometimes. His students disrespect him. It's a long step from that to him being notably mistreated. Walt certainly takes this tiny little things as part of an ongoing campaign against him and the cause of his problems, but that is because Walt has issues. Walt is the cause of his own problems. (Again, aside from the cancer, which is all bad luck.) The fact that he can't recognize that until the very end of the series is a big part of why things go down like they do.

Man, am I glad I did not watch the show like you. I would have enjoyed it a lot less if I was just scoffing, lording my moral superiority over Walt and calling him an idiot. For the vast majority of the series I liked Walt and wanted him to succeed, most of the time.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Why are all the bad posts laden with sarcasm for no good reason?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Redundant posted:

Walt = 50
Skylar = 40

Am I missing something here that will make me feel Real Dumb or are posts just not being read fully before being "corrected"?

Who the gently caress is Walt

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

quote:

Todd was a cool guy until he pulled that stunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

I think you missed the entire point of the show... a hint, the error is bolded in the quote in this post

Yeah the child murdering Meth Nazi sure was morally ambiguous alright

• Locked thread