Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Howdy! So, you’ve strolled into the Breaking Bad thread. Maybe it’s because you’ve heard that Breaking Bad is a good show worth checking out.

Well, you’re wrong. Breaking Bad is the best show, and watching it should be mandatory viewing upon entering adulthood. I’m not going to explain this, just go to Netflix and start watching.

Let me quickly say that you should ignore any expectations you have for the show. Whatever elevator pitch you’ve received for it does not do it justice. I will say in advance though, do not go into this expecting The Wire. Breaking Bad is never a show about drugs, and it’s never a show that really concerns itself with gritty realism. It is a pulpy, sometimes absurd, oftentimes hilarious show, and, above all, it’s really not comparable to anything else I’ve seen on television.

Leave this thread and watch it. Even if you think you’re the type of person who doesn’t mind being spoiled, you’re wrong. Watch it. Now. Do not read anything about the show until you are done.

:siren: Do not read any further than this sentence unless you have watched! I AM LITERALLY GOING TO SPOIL THE ENTIRE END OF THIS SHOW IF YOU DON'T CLOSE THIS loving TAB RIGHT THE gently caress NOW! :siren:

Frequently Asked Questions and Topics Not Really Worth Discussing

Is Walt dead?

Yes.

What happened to Jesse?

The end monologue for Terminator 2, basically.

Basically, Jesse’s end is deliberately vague. But he’s free. He’s not just free of the Nazi labor camp, but of Walt, his sins, and meth all together. Wherever Jesse goes now is his choice and his choice alone. That’s why his screams are cut off so abruptly. Breaking Bad is ultimately Walt’s story, and he has freed himself of that story.

His screams of course give mixed messages. I see excitement and glee towards his new freedom. I see a poor carpenter making an okay living in Alaska. Other people could see manic psychosis and meth and more pain.

It’s not clear, but either way, it’s up to Jesse.

What probably doesn’t happen to Jesse?

Jesse probably doesn’t get to live happily ever after with Brock. I mean once again, if you want to imagine that happens, that’s fine, but it’s unlikely. Brock is with his grandmother. She either sold the house Jesse bought or moved into it. Either way, Brock is no longer in danger. He has been afforded a life where he won’t end up like Tomas, Andrea, or Jesse. Even if Jesse doesn’t get to play Sonic games with him, he’s fine.

Jesse is also pretty safe in terms of anyone coming after him. The cops found Heisenberg dead in the lab, and the Nazis probably burned the DVD because it implicated Todd in a high profile murder of a child. Let me reiterate, there is no reason to assume the DVD is still there.

As far as the law is concerned, the public have their sacrificial lambs. The Nazis are dead. Heisenberg is dead. Hank and Gomez’s bodies have been found. And Skyler will serve some minimal jail time. There is literally no one who cares about this case lasting any longer than it needs to. Nobody cares about Jesse Pinkman.

What’s a ricin?

Ricin is a poison created from castor beans. When ingested, ricin will kill a person within a few days. They will suffer from flu like symptoms, making the death seem natural and not suspicious. On Breaking Bad, ricin has been created three times. Its use has been attempted in every single season since 2, but it’s only been successfully used once.

Here is a timeline or Ricin on the show:

-Walt and Jesse think Tuco is going to kill them
    -They try to sneak the ricin into a sample of meth for Tuco to try
    -Tuco kidnaps them before their plan comes into action
    -They still try to get Tuco to try the tainted meth, but he refuses when its odd smell is explained by Jesse as being caused by chili powder which Tuco hates
    -Hank kills Tuco, Walt and Jesse escape, that poisoned meth is abandoned, Hank shoots Tuco
    -Walt has Combo, Skinny Pete, and Jesse expand their meth distribution into rival territories
    -Combo is killed by Andrea’s brother, Tomas on the behalf of rival dealers
    -Jesse finds out that Tomas killed Combo when he begins his relationship with Andrea
    -Jesse asks Walt to make new ricin to kill the dealers, but Walt refuses
    -Jesse obtains a second batch of ricin
    -Jesse attempts to poison the dealers using Tomas by having a prostitute feed them a ricin filled burger, it fails
    -Gus intervenes as the dealers are under his control, and he tells them to stop using children
    -The dealers take this too literally, and they kill Tomas
    -Jesse tries to shoot the dealers, but Walt kills them instead
    -Gus tries to kill Walt and Jesse, but they avoid this by killing Gale
    -Walt produces new ricin, the third batch, and the one being used for the rest of the series
    -Walt has Jesse hide it in a cigarette with the plan that Jesse will poison Gus when he gets the chance
    -Fearing that he is losing Jesse, Walt has Saul steal the cigarette from Jesse
    -He then poisons Brock with Lily of the Valley which is less poisonous than ricin, but has similar flu like symptoms
    -Walt convinces Jesse that Gus poisoned Brock
    -The doctors discover Brock was actually poisoned by Lily of the Valley
    -Walt plants a fake ricin cigarette in Jesse’s Roomba to make him think he had dropped it
    -Walt makes Jesse think he destroyed the cigarette
    -Walt hides the real ricin cigarette behind an electrical outlet casing in his bedroom
    -Walt attempts to use the ricin on Lydia, but he changes his mind when she offers him distribution in the Czech Republic
    -Jesse figures out that Walt stole the ricin from him and most likely poisoned Brock, Saul confirms this
    -Walt retrieves the ricin from his abandoned home
    -Walt somehow gets the ricin into Lydia’s stevia which she mixes into her tea and consumes
    -Lydia slowly dies of ricin

How do I spell?

Jesse-his name is spelled, “Jesse,” no “i”

Skyler-her name is spelled, “Skyler” with an “e” and no “a”

Gray Matter-it's "gray" as in the color not the surname. Lesson for life (In the US): "Gray" is the color and sometimes a surname, "Grey" is always a surname.

Why did Walt leave Gray Matter?

Walt dated Gretchen. Walt and Gretchen visited her family. Walt got upset about something—most likely her parents’ wealth—and he checked out.

Do you want to hear about the plot hole I found?

No, I do not.

So, what’s the timeline of the show?

The scope of the show is roughly two years, beginning and ending on Walter White’s birthday. Seasons 1-4 completely take place in the first year. Season 5 almost entirely takes place in the second year with several major jumps in time during “Glide Over All” and “Granite State.” It’s probably not worth thinking about specifics as the show primarily ignores holidays and seasons.

Someone mentioned Walt speaking with Mike’s voice? What?

A poster innocently commented on Walt sounding like Mike in this scene. To be fair, he kinda does. It’s taken as shorthand for mocking people who posted something stupid.

What’s with Flynn and breakfast?

Flynn has a good amount of breakfast scenes. Internet noticed it and ran it into the ground. It’s a metaphor for Flynn liking eggs.

Why does Flynn call himself Flynn?

Because gently caress calling himself Walt, and Flynn is a balla name. gently caress haters.

I love Walt? Who else loves Walt?

Lots of people love Walt, root for Walt, or just enjoy when Walt does cool things despite the fact that he’s a monster. Don’t worry about it, and definitely don’t post about it like loving Walt is some revolutionary contrarian idea.

Also, if you think Walt did everything for his family, even Walt disagrees with you.

I hate Skyler because she's a loving bitch putting my main man Walt down!

You're an rear end in a top hat.

I dislike Skyler because I think she's not a well written and/or well acted character; Alternatively, while I recognize that Walt "objectively" does worse things than her, there are certain actions (Smoking while pregnant for example) that trigger a really negative reaction from me

There are some merits to at least the first thing you said and you can join our wonderful rainbow of discourse.

I love Todd!

Stay the gently caress away from me.

The Complete Series

To be released November 26th. Currently on sale for 30% on Amazon.
Includes:

-Collectible replica money barrel for your drug money
    -55 Hours of Special Features including a 2 hour documentary about the series
    -16 page booklet with letter from Vince Gilligan :allears:
    -A nifty apron
    -Some kinda coin thing? I dunno

Insider Podcast
For anyone who hasn't listened, the Insider podcasts are amazing. They'll full of small details that you won't notice as well as some insight into how this amazing show was produced.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
:negative: There is no more Breaking Bad? Should I just kill myself? :negative:

Sad that your favorite show is over? Filled with an empty void? Looks like you…

Pitch

A one hour dramedy that is either a sequel, prequel, midquel, or all-of-the-above-quel to Breaking Bad. We know that it will feature some of the Breaking Bad cast in cameos with Jonathan Banks reprising his role as Mike as a series regular.

So, this is definitely happening?

So, Sony and AMC are on board. So are Odenkirk and Gilligan. It also seems that there is going to be no pilot, and AMC is going to go straight to episode order. With the said, until you hear that episode order has happened, nothing is definite.

Right now, they have not written anything, but filming starts in May.

Of course, if you just want to watch Breaking Bad again while it not being Breaking Bad, there is…

Pitch

A Spanish-language remake of Breaking Bad produced by Sony.

Trailer

I'll be updating this post with more info as it comes.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 29, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

British English uses "Grey" as both a colour and a surname.
So, is "Gray" just a surname for you guys, or is "gray" and "grey" interchangeable?

V Done V

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 7, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Do people not own RV's in South America? Wouldn't driving a bus around arouse suspicion?
Yeah, that's why they made the switch because it's just not really a common thing. It's definitely a little more suspicious then the RV, but it fits the purpose of having a large mobile lab.

I think it looks okay, but it's hard to not find it jarring and compare it to the original.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Xealot posted:

It's mostly surprising to me that the visual style of it is so bad. You'd assume the rights to remake Breaking Bad would be 1) fairly expensive, and 2) attractive to talented artists. I can't speak to how Latin American TV is made, but when I first heard about this, I assumed it'd come out looking like Sin Nombre or like an Iñárritu film or something. Not a goddamn telenovela.
It should be worth noting that Breaking Bad was really pushing things in terms of budget. While "The Fly" is brilliant, it was ultimately a mandatory cost saving measure. The split season was also because AMC wanted to give season 5 a smaller episode order which Gilligan found too prohibitive.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That would have been an unacceptable level of sincere passion for Gustavo Fring, robot druglord. I liked that Gus made only one single decision that was driven by anything other than cold profit-based pragmatism, and that he died because of it.
To be honest, I've sort of taken to the idea that for how calculated and cold Fring was, he pretty much did everything so he could eventually have his revenge on Eladio.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Walt's talking to the car, but on a deeper level he's talking to his own body. Walt is dying, and there is a good chance he'll die before he ever gets across the Mississippi. He just needs this car to start and last long enough to get him home. He just needs his body to last long enough to set things right.

The idea that he's talking to Heisenberg is pretty at odds with everything else going on. A lot of the finale is about Walt abandoning the notion of Heisenberg. He's no longer disassociating himself from his actions. He's recognizing who he is, what he's done, and why he's done it.

Spellman posted:

Whether he was talking to Heisenberg or not isn't that important. That the writers planted that line so that you would consider it, is.
No, it's not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

You could interpret that as Walt accepting that Heisenberg was himself all along.

When he says to Skyler "I did it for me" it's both Walt and Heisenberg talking to her at the same time.

But that's the halfway point of the episode. I think at the beginning he's still got the two personas separated in his head.

The final episode is us observing the two states of Walter finally collapsing into one.
My problem with this read is that there really isn't much that challenges Walt until the ending. Much of the episode is Walt doing exactly what he planned to do. This included his admission to Skyler that he didn't do it for his family. The thing that really breaks him, that shatters him, is the phone call with Flynn. The Charlie Rose interview gives him both the idea for how he can get the money to his family and that he needs to take care of the last loose ends with the meth. There is nothing that really changes him or forces him to reconsider himself. He is merely doing what he planned to do.

It's not until he finds Jesse that he's really challenged in any way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, but the disassociation of the two is important for Walt's character.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I do hope there's more Mike, he was honestly one of my favorite characters. His speech to Walt about Half-Measures is some of my favorite dialogue in the show.
My favorite line read from Mike is right before his death. The pure hatred that seethes from his voice when he says, "You, and your pride and your ego..."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that the Twins weren't the most formidble killers? I know they were supposed to have an air of Terminator about them but to me they just sort of looked really slow, the sorts of guys that could be defeated by breaking into a light jog.

I'd be far more scared to learn Mike, Todd, Gus, Tuco, any of the Nazis, or Walt were coming after me.
I think that Hank is genuinely kind of a badass and despite the way he often comes off, he's actually pretty brilliant. What I'm saying is, you're probably no Hank, son, and he barely survived the twins.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
:stare:

Guys, they called him Generalmisso and flat out said that the only reason they didn't kill was because they knew who he really was. There's also the fact there is no record of Gus Fring from Chile and that's probably not his real name. Who Gus was, what he did is a mystery, but it's not unreasonable to assume he was in the military and may have been a high ranking officer. It's fair to say he wasn't literally a general, but he must have had some connection for Eladio to say it.

Gus was someone important in Chile and almost definitely has military connections.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm going to be honest, I made that the first FAQ just to be a dick to people who didn't read the warning. I don't think it is actually a particularly potent spoiler though. Walt was always going to die, and it's clear when the cancer comes back that he's done for. It's about how he died.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DNova posted:

He had to sell that car so that we could endure the loving worst scene in the entire series as a direct result.

edit: Here it is - the absolute worst minute of breaking bad by a huge margin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvScTdWfPc
Get out.

Not only is it a great scene, but it's an important scene as it cements the hubris and the blurred line between Walt's professional and home life which led to his downfall.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 21, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DNova posted:

^ ^ I like the theory but I just don't see it being anything more than an advertisement awkwardly shoehorned in.

Am I in the twilight zone?

It's a full minute of product placement that does nothing for the story. It's awkward and horrible and if you liked it you are a bad person and you should feel bad.
Dude, it's not even a theory. Walt is wearing the porkpie hat in front of his son, and Skyler no longer has any control over his recklessness like she somewhat did in season 4. Remember Walt pulled this poo poo with cars before. It's what's happening in that scene.

EDIT: poo poo, it's downright sad in retrospect. It's Walt enjoying being Heisenberg with Flynn, not knowing that the second Flynn fully understands Heisenberg, he'll reject him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

escape artist posted:

I've watched Felina probably 10 times and I'm convinced it's the ricochet that kills him. Maybe a bullet fragment, maybe the metal 10 score card.

I wonder what his plan was, if he hadn't been wounded and Jesse refused to kill him.
I think his plan was to just die with the Nazis and Jesse. The only reason that he jumps to the ground is to save Jesse which he was not initially planning to do.

I like the idea that it was a ricocheting bullet because it was a nice bookend to the series. The show started with him waiting for cops to to come towards him, puts a gun to his head, and fires. The bullet doesn't come then, but the last episode has him shot and killed by his own bullet. The blocking of how he falls and where the cops come from is also the same as in the desert

verybad posted:

Luckily this doesn't apply to me because the second I saw Walt do something illegal in episode 1 I was like, "f*** that, Walt is a bad person who has performed illegal actions and is participating in the drug trade, therefore he is a villain and I will root against him."

This is a joke post, right?
Maybe it is, but to be fair, meth is a pretty nasty drug that ruins lives. I have a friend who refused to watch the show because she lost a friend to meth, and really couldn't bare to watch a show about it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Also, every happy moment in the show is retroactively sad.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Max posted:

It also seemed like Marie was opening the lines of communication up again with that "alright, truce" line she says into the answering machine. So there might be some help from her as well.
The arc for Marie in the show is really her becoming the matriarch of the family. The Marie we meet in season one is very childish and often petty. She is someone who Hank and Skyler treat with kiddie gloves. By the show's end however, she has replaced Skyler as big sister. She is the person who takes care of Skyler and Flynn now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Marie was boring as heck, and completely superfluous. character arc was:

hank's wife -> hank's wife who shoplifts -> well nobody cares, let's just drop that plot -> i guess we can use her to gossip information to other characters?
Except:

1) She's the best.

2) No, that is not her character arc

Also, the shoplifting is important because it sets her relationship with Skyler. Skyler's absolute morality in the beginning of the show is important.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I love all of Breaking Bad although Season 1 is a little wonky. Season 2 is fine, but it's definitely the closest to being about the ins and outs of Jesse and Walt selling meth which is the more boring part of the show.

For me, "Crawl Space" to "Face-Off" is just perfection though. It's a panic attack in television form.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Nobody's looking for Jesse. Remember the Fring case? It is pretty irrefutable that Heisenberg was still around, but nobody wanted the case to go on longer than it had to besides Hank. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and Skyler will probably do some jail time or serve probation. It's the end of the story. In the language of the show, nobody gives a poo poo about a possible second cook.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

Lydia said they're looking for Jesse.

Marie surely told them that Hank and Gomez were working with him when they disappeared. They most definitely would want to question him about that.
They were looking for Jesse when they didn't have Walt. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and they have the bodies of Hank and Gomez. Why would they spend additional man-hours tracking down someone who is most likely dead from their point of view? Remember they don't realize the extent of Walt and Jesse's partnership because Marie didn't know and the confession is gone.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If he accepts their charity he is not a man, simple as that. I understand why a lot of you would have trouble understanding this concept considering this website is mostly comprised of children pretending to be men, but try to think of it from a different perspective please. He was beaten down by life for decades and didn't fight back once the entire time, then he is supposed to just accept his pat on the head and lay down quietly and die? That's not what a man does, it's what some pet little bitch does. It's loving pathetic on every level and he had an entire lifetime's worth of rage to spend doing this right so why would he accept some charity from those stuck up assholes who are partly responsible for his lot in life to begin with? That is insult to injury, the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae. Oh but he should have been safe and boring instead then we could've had a great show about a pathetic guy dying a pathetic death, that's much more sensible.
Spending your life being passive aggressive and resenting everyone around you isn't the same as being beaten down. Nobody stole Gray Matter from Walt, and it's pretty clear that Gretchen and Elliot would have given him his share of the success if he asked. If Skyler was a lovely wife then Walt could've been a grown-up and divorced her. If he wasn't coping well with his son's disability he could have seen a therapist. If he was bothered by some of Hank's jokes, he could have taken him aside and said something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Taking the Grey Matter job would be charity. Walt hasn't been in research for years; he'd be useless in the lab. He says all that stuff to Elliot out right, and Elliot didn't deny it.
To be fair, for Walt's meth to work the way it does on the show, he would have to essentially be making one of the biggest discoveries in pharmaceuticals. He's not just a talented chemist, he's Reed Richards.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Redundant posted:

I'm not saying Walt doesn't make super-meth, I'm saying that making super-meth isn't equivalent to being able to cut it on the very cutting edge of research science (after literally years out of the business) which seems to be Gray Matters MO. People are acting like he could have gone into research science, won another nobel prize and everyone would have lived happily ever after because he makes really good meth, and that isn't really portrayed in the show at all.
Jesse is the only one shown coming close to what Walt can do. Walt discovered a better way to make meth that only he seems to be able to fully wrap his head around it. I think it's fair to say that Walt is a genius, and could be helpful. Hank had his number from the start though, he's an underachiever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of like the idea that season 1 is an unreliable narrative where the characters are being presented how Walt views them more than they actually are.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

I was about to post about Sons of Anarchy has some great female characters, maybe even better than BB, but then I got to the part where the hero slams a woman's face into a table, calls her a whore, then spits on her. I think that these 'badass male antihero' show do have a bunch of fans who watch them for vicarious kicks. Hell Walt is an MRA hero.
Sons of Anarchy's treatment of Stahl was really off-putting. Obviously she's an rear end in a top hat, but the protagonists of the show are all pretty much worse than her. The show really seems to revel in putting her down, and by season 2 they just make her irredeemable and boring. Breaking Bad isn't the best with its depiction of women, but there is a heart of anti-patriarchy and fairness to its female characters that makes me forgiving. Sons of Anarchy fills icky sometimes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here was my write-up of Marie after that episode:

quote:

Marie’s kleptomania subplot is an important and vital part of Breaking Bad.

In season one when the kepto plot first came up, it made me dislike Skyler. I understood that she had gone through a humiliating experience, but she seemed overly harsh. Hank was obviously bothered by her stealing problem as well, but he dealt with it. He even was supportive of her going to a therapist, something that it’s easy to see Hank as being uncomfortable with.

What I never really considered was how Skyler’s reaction positioned her in Marie’s eyes. To me Skyler was being insensitive, but to Marie, I think there was more. It positioned Skyler as someone who was morally unwavering. In last week’s OP, I discussed how despite Hank’s commitment to justice, he is not a moral absolutist. Skyler, in early seasons, definitely is. She is shocked by Marie’s kleptomania. She is disappointed in Ted cooking the books. Even Walt smoking weed upsets her because weed is illegal and he’s grown man and what have you.

We can talk about the hypocrisies of Skyler in these early seasons, especially in consideration of her smoking, but that’s not as important as how this moral absolutism positions her in Marie’s life. For Marie, Skyler was someone who was solid. I don’t know off hand if Marie is supposed to be younger. I am sure the wiki can tell me that, but it really doesn’t matter. Marie feels younger. She is a person who needs her sister. She needs to talk to her. She needs her support. She needs her love. While Marie might be the most important person in the world to Hank, Skyler is the most important person in the world to Marie.

Skyler was lovely to Marie when she found about the stealing, but I don’t think Marie saw it that way. I think she saw her sister being her sister. She was an unwavering rock of morality. It’s because of that, Marie was so unwilling to admit her wrongdoing. She was embarrassed because for her, Skyler is this great thing. That is why when Marie confronts Skyler with the truth, she just asks simply for Skyler to say Hank is crazy. If Skyler says that then she will believe her because she believes in Skyler.

We didn’t see Hank tell Marie about Walt. It will probably be one of the few missing reveals of the truth coming out. The truth is that the things Hank told Marie didn’t compare with what Marie learned from Skyler. It’s not that she doesn’t care about those things. I’m sure the revelation that Walt drove Hank into traffic upset her. It’s just that all of those things did not amount to the worst thing that Walter White did in Marie’s eyes.

When Skyler confirms that Hank is telling the truth, Marie silently reads how long Skyler knew. The car wash is the first betrayal for Marie. To learn that Skyler would indulge in the fruits of Heisenberg’s labor disgusts her because it betrays what Skyler should be. The ultimate betrayal which leads to the slap is that Skyler tainted her family. Knowing that Skyler knew Walt was partially responsible for Hank being shot and then allowing her to use that bastard’s money is unforgivable.

As Marie leaves, she understands one thing: Walter White has broken her sister. He has taken someone great and turned her into a cowardly, weak, and corrupt person. That is why Marie wants to bring Walt down. For her, the greatest sin is that he has forever ruined the thing Marie loves most in the world. Hank wants Walt to go to jail, but I don’t think that is enough for Marie. For Marie, this is far more personal. For Marie, Walter White needs to be obliterated.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mexcillent posted:

I'm still disappointed that Jesse didn't get a final gunfight with someone.
I'm sure there was something pitched that involved him dropping someone and proclaiming, "Bitch." I think his choice of agency over involving himself with some final confrontation with Walt was more worthwhile though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here you go.

EDIT: We may need to change the thread title to "Yay science, b-word!"

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 17, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Seems it is, but if you click on the link in the quote from JOHN SKELETON--which is what I and I guess Stairmaster did--it says the video was removed by the user. Weird.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, there is a lot of hype that Berfield is going to grow into a major mover in Hollywood. He's hasn't done much on paper, but he was an EP when he was 24 for Sons of Tuscon which is pretty amazing. Dude's 27 and clearly already has some clout, he just needs a successful project.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Mike's an accidental character who was never supposed to exist in the show at all.
This is not how writing works, and people really need to move beyond the idea that things that were planned out since the beginning have some added worth and things that were surprised have less value.

quote:

His arc seems tacked on and shallow and contrived, but it's very well acted and I think that's why so many people love him. He's not a samurai (I'm not even sure what that term means besides some weeaboo stereotype bullshit?) with a perfect story, that's the exact opposite of what happened.

He's definitely a device to gauge how far and how fast Walt descended though, I think that's his biggest contribution to the story.
Mike, like Gale, is a counterpoint to Walt and Walt's conception of himself. Mike is a criminal and a bastard, but he actually does things for his family and has some code even if that code is awful. Mike is what Walt thinks of himself and further evidence to the audience that this self-image is correct. That's what makes his story so tragic. His need to take care of his granddaughter and protect his own stops him from killing Lydia and Walt when he probably should have done so. How is his story shallow? How is it contrived?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Devout Christian posted:

This is just silly. Walt never wanted to be like Mike, he hated him. Also, I find it amusing that you say Mike became criminal in order to support his family and that Walt didn't become a criminal in order to support his. Maybe you need to watch this series again or something?
I should re-watch the series which ends with the main character literally saying he didn't do this for his family?

Mike is a bad man who did bad things, but every cent of what he did was going to Kaylee. That doesn't forgive the fact that he admittingly likes his job or things like Drew Sharp. Still, he is the calm, collected killer with a code who supports his family. He's what Walt says he is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Devout Christian posted:

He also said that in the last episode of the series AFTER he lost literally everything. You really believe that he believed that before Ozymandias? Give me a break.
It's not a matter of what he believed, but his actual motives. Walt spent the entire series repeating that he was doing this for his family, and he confessed in the end that he did not. I mean poo poo man, I thought this put the lid on Walt did it for his family.

EDIT: No, he didn't. The line is really specific. "All the things I did." Also, for what should be the last time, the show reminds us with the Hank flashback that he got the idea to cook meth before the cancer. The cancer motivated him and gave him a justification.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 30, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

KittenofDoom posted:

Did they ever fully explain why Walt poisoned Lydia? Was it any practical reason other than revenge? I don't think Walt even knew that Todd had threatened Skylar at that point.
Lydia was a loose-end and a usurper. Also, at the very least, if his plan to kill Jesse and the Nazis failed, killing Lydia destroys their main supply chain.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Devout Christian posted:

How the gently caress does this say that he did it for himself and not his family. Also, Walter would not have started cooking had he not been diagnosed with cancer. I have to explain this, really?
Because there was desire without the excuse to take care of his family. I don't think he would have acted on it without the cancer, but it's not so much that he has to take care of his family (Although he tells himself that) as he's confronted with his mortality and dissatisfaction with life and acts on that irrational desire.

quote:

And again, his confession that he did it for himself was in the last episode of the series when he lost everything. He would not have said that if Hank were still alive along with his $80 million still intact
Are you suggesting Walt being in a lovely situation invalidating the confession? You understand your motives and self-image are different things, right?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PootieTang posted:

Well first you lump everyone who doesn't like Skylers character into one group and then give a prototypical example of that group being someone who thinks that Walt should invest in bitcoin and that all women are incapable of doing maths.

Totally not trying to provoke anyone or cause any kind of argument no siree, nothing but quality discussion right here.
How about we just separate two groups of Skyler haters and Skyler dislikers. Skyler dislikers are people who dislike Skyler because of a personal trigger of something bad she did but recognize she's still not as bad as most characters on the show or because of something reasonable like just not thinking she's a particularly well drawn character which is true for at least one season of the show. Then there are Skyler haters who vehemently hate Skyler because they're crazy/misogynists and gently caress those assholes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A fun game I've been playing is figuring out if there were ways that Walt could have avoided doing something terrible without compromising the whole "making meth to support my family" thing. Example: what if, after finding out Tomas was killed, he immediately called Jesse and said "woah let's talk about this because neither of us are murderers" And then before confronting Gus about "hey did you order the murder of a child," they go to Gale and say "We know you're a Ron Paul supporter, but you're probably against working for a guy who orders the murder of children. And if Gus kills any of us, he won't have any of us, and then he'll have nothing. So let's all, together, go to him and confront him over this." Gus doesn't really have an option at that point other than "firing" the gangbangers, and that's assuming that those two gang bangers actually were supposed to kill Tomas. If not, he'd be like "Wow, thanks for being careful about this" and then he'd cook everyone dinner.
Bam. Gale stays alive, Jesse's not a murderer, Walt's able to make millions without bloodshed before dying.
I mean, that still wouldn't be the right thing to do, and it might not have worked perfectly (what ever does?), but it would be Jesse's "another way."

Walter White isn't just a guy who refuses to "give up" even when "giving up" is the more courageous and righteous option, he's also someone who is to proud too admit that there are more options than what he personally sees.
Really the right option for Walt, especially when dealing with Gus, is confessing to Hank. But that was always probably the worst outcome for Walt. To be shuffled around in witness protection while Hank and the other DEA agents to get to play cowboys while he can only watch from his window would be hell for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Speaking of watching Walt's lying, I rewatched Glengarry Glen Ross, and I really recognized Walt in Jack Lemon's performance, particularly in he's trying to make sales. I wonder if it was an influence.

• Locked thread