Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Burkion posted:

I have SEEN children shows with better dancing than this. Hell, I've seen better break dancing in Kamen Rider than this.

Heaven's Tornado

Where's Tupac shirt kid when you need him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I would probably die of nostalgia if there was an outright Heaven's Tornado reference / cameo in this show.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The last boss is that mean lady from Dance Moms and finally, finally, Burkion is vindicated in the final moments of the show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

The last boss is that mean lady from Dance Moms and finally, finally, Burkion is vindicated in the final moments of the show.

Well the director's vindicated me in the other matters!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Rei_ posted:

-"Takebe disliked the "two Rider" formula post-W, and wanted to scrap it in favor of multiple Riders. Urobuchi, a big Ryuki fan, agreed."

I'm pretty stoked about this as well. It gives more opportunity for character clashes and interesting personalities to develop. I'm a fan of overall antagonism among heroes, like Timefire and the Timerangers.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Holy crap this episode.

Those henshins!

E: Secret identities are for squares.

E2: That was fantastic. :tviv:

E3: No seriously this episode owns hard. I need gifs bad.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 13, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out for Gaim 2. You really don't need subs to enjoy this episode, Kouta's actor is doing a fantastic job.

nono
Jun 27, 2011

Kid is adorable. Definitely sold on this year (meanwhile I'm struggling getting through the last 15 episodes of Hibiki).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Magenta translated some new information about some new toys and what they mean for the series. These are spoilers, of course.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm starting to be concerned that this show might be a winner.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs are out for episode 2.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

So I just finished the first episode of this. I have never, ever watched a Kamen Rider show before. Not even one episode. I also think Gen Urobuchi's shows are highly overrated and have never liked any of them. A friend of mine, who is a big Kamen Rider fan, convinced me to watch by describing the show as: "the story of a young japanese man who uses a rip-off pokeball to transform into a dancing, motorcycle-riding fruit samurai".

One episode and I'm in goddamn love. Maybe it's because I'm a big mecha fan and this is just a logical step from one toy-centric genre into another. Maybe it's because Kouta transformed by having a goddamn orange fall out of a sky zipper and engulf his head. It doesn't matter, because either way I really, really like this loving show.

I actually fist-pumped when I saw the subs were up for episode two.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Your friend is probably going to have a lot of fun pushing you in to watching other entries. Have fun with them when you inevitably break and try them.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The orange on his head spinning wildly as an attack caught me by surprise. I was laughing pretty hard, I hope they throw more stuff like that in future fights. :allears:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

And people thought the subs were gonna be slower, this is the fastest i've seen yet.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I think the beginning of the episode was a realistic depiction of a teenager who's just acquired superpowers.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So when does the sister die to fulfill her role as Uncle Ben?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I really enjoyed episode 2, liked it more than episode 1 even. There's always the possibility of the wheels falling off after it gets out of the setup and new shiny stuff phase, but I'm liking the direction things are going in, especially with the vague hints of the overarching plot.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The real reason Urobuchi took the job: Free Kamen Rider merch.

HKR posted:

Episode 5, maybe.

Gifs courtesy of /m/.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 14, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Alright, episode 2 went a lot better. We see a whole lot more of Kouta's personality and he seems like a likable lead. Now that the bland setting info dumping from the first episode is gone and that we're focusing on the characters, I liked Episode 2 a lot more. Now I feel more invested in these characters and want to see more. Giving the girl the belt and having it not work was really terrible, and I find it odd that the fruit theme doesn't seem to have any relationship to how the Invess it summons looks. The monster switches in Fourze all looked the same, but at least the medals in OOOs had some bearing on what sort of yummy was made, and in W dopants all were directly themed to their gaia memories.

Also: why didn't Kaito use his Pineapple Lockseed to summon an Invess for the fight? Why are 3 on 1 Invess fights okay? Why hasn't Kouta tried to summon Strawberry Arms? I wish these were questions that were more like interesting mysteries to ponder rather than feeling like writing based on the necessities of the plot.

HKR posted:

I doubt this will ever happen. Though, a younger version of her fiance might end up using too much of his powers so that she'll forget who he ever was and it'll be really sad.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

It took me about twenty minutes to watch the first ten minutes of the show, because I had to keep pausing to laugh. The eyebrows thing nearly killed me. Even seeing a .gif of the eyebrows thing is killing me. I'm completely sold at this point, on Gaim and Kamen Rider in general. As excited as I was for KlK, this is probably my favorite show of the season.

tsob posted:

Your friend is probably going to have a lot of fun pushing you in to watching other entries. Have fun with them when you inevitably break and try them.

Believe me, he is. I'm already downloading Kamen Rider W at his urging. I have no idea if it's any good or not, but hey this show is already goddamn fantastic and he recommended it to me, so I'll give it a shot!

And hey, if anyone has any other recommendations for me, go ahead and throw them out there.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

NotALizardman posted:

Believe me, he is. I'm already downloading Kamen Rider W at his urging. I have no idea if it's any good or not, but hey this show is already goddamn fantastic and he recommended it to me, so I'll give it a shot!

And hey, if anyone has any other recommendations for me, go ahead and throw them out there.

W is good, but we actually have a whole thread dedicated to this sort of thing that you may be interested in.

The whole first five minutes of this episode was utterly wonderful though, I can't argue. Totally down for Armored Fruit Riders.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is my first Kamen Rider, and it is already delivering. Kouta's an amazing lead, and Baron's theme music is cool. Just hope Urobuchi won't kill off the entire cast this time.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Potsticker posted:

Why hasn't Kouta tried to summon Strawberry Arms?

Well the Invess he summoned with it ate the Lock Seed and it didn't seem to reappear after Gaim rider kicked it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fezz posted:

Well the Invess he summoned with it ate the Lock Seed and it didn't seem to reappear after Gaim rider kicked it.

10 bucks says that he has it back next episode with no explanation.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Potsticker posted:

Also: why didn't Kaito use his Pineapple Lockseed to summon an Invess for the fight?

I can kinda think of explanations for the other questions, but this one I can't think of anything except that he was being a cocky idiot. Which is not a good one by any measure.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 14, 2013

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Unlucky7 posted:

I can kinda think of explanations for the other questions, but this one I can't think of anything except that he was being a cocky idiot.

Kaito's personal philosophy is very powerful and has a gigantic helping of worthy-adversary-ism. I'm sure he thought Gaim was a potentially strong contender that had got bad breaks and he wanted to see what they could do. He was being completely forthright when he said he wanted to give them a chance to save themselves.

I'm sure he's also suspicious of how much his own team has earned its ranking now that he knows about Peco's shenanigans.

e: got the wrong dude's wrong name

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 14, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

jivjov posted:

:eng101: The shot at the end of the episode only showed the Orange and Pineapple lock seeds. Seems like they're doing the thing OOO did where they're keeping track of which power-ups the main character has access to in any given episode. Hopefully this won't mean they'll get swapped around too arbitrarily.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

I dunno about that. It's not like it was the only one, since the Lock Seed Dealer was selling Strawberries, and it didn't appear on the OOO screen at the end.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ok, this is going now. Still have that coming of age story, Kouta is a-dork-able, and we get more development for the secondary characters. Episode one was good, but episode two is great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Second episode is fine. Here is where I and Gaim begin to drift apart completely. The writing was OK for the most part but I REALLY have to wonder where the hell the police where, if there are police in this universe. Which there may not be.

The dancing was OK. It was better than last week for sure, they didn't feel as stiff, but it still wasn't all that great and definitely shouldn't be a focus of the show unless they can really make a show of it. It didn't have a lot of energy or life to it, but benefited from people who felt more limber than loving geriatric white men, so good on it.

Which brings me to where I drift. The episode was fine. It was silly and it meant to be silly and it was fun and it was light hearted and that's fine. It's not what I care for in Kamen Rider specifically, especially to this overt a degree, but that's why I'm not really complaining about it because there would be no basis in it. One thing I try not to do is rant about bullshit that I don't like without a good reason for why it doesn't work. Oh I could bring up a lot of things I'd change if the work was supposed to be more serious, but it really isn't and it really isn't trying to be. On a personal level, I do not really care for light, silly Rider series like this.

...which I feel is going to make the coming weeks rather painful. Not so much for the silliness which I'll just generally groan about but not really comment on, but for what I fear is a coming tone shift. Rumblings from the director in that interview, from the writer and his body of work, have me dreading that this show is going to live up to their promises of both being like the older Heisei Series, AND straight up emulating the dramatic, and ultimately tragic, relationship between Kamen Rider Black and Shadow Moon. Because, I'm sorry, but I don't think any amount of serious writing or good direction could ever make an orange wearing Samurai killing a Banana Wearing Knight serious OR dramatic, especially if the Knight then explodes into a bunch of orange slices.

For those who are wondering why I'm still watching this even when I explicitly say that it is not the kind of show I enjoy? I am watching this show weekly with two friends. One episode of Gaim, one episode of Black. So yay, you guys get to keep hearing me talk about how crappy the dancing is. Lucky gents, you lot.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

Second episode is fine. Here is where I and Gaim begin to drift apart completely. The writing was OK for the most part but I REALLY have to wonder where the hell the police where, if there are police in this universe. Which there may not be.

The dancing was OK. It was better than last week for sure, they didn't feel as stiff, but it still wasn't all that great and definitely shouldn't be a focus of the show unless they can really make a show of it. It didn't have a lot of energy or life to it, but benefited from people who felt more limber than loving geriatric white men, so good on it.

Which brings me to where I drift. The episode was fine. It was silly and it meant to be silly and it was fun and it was light hearted and that's fine. It's not what I care for in Kamen Rider specifically, especially to this overt a degree, but that's why I'm not really complaining about it because there would be no basis in it. One thing I try not to do is rant about bullshit that I don't like without a good reason for why it doesn't work. Oh I could bring up a lot of things I'd change if the work was supposed to be more serious, but it really isn't and it really isn't trying to be. On a personal level, I do not really care for light, silly Rider series like this.

...which I feel is going to make the coming weeks rather painful. Not so much for the silliness which I'll just generally groan about but not really comment on, but for what I fear is a coming tone shift. Rumblings from the director in that interview, from the writer and his body of work, have me dreading that this show is going to live up to their promises of both being like the older Heisei Series, AND straight up emulating the dramatic, and ultimately tragic, relationship between Kamen Rider Black and Shadow Moon. Because, I'm sorry, but I don't think any amount of serious writing or good direction could ever make an orange wearing Samurai killing a Banana Wearing Knight serious OR dramatic, especially if the Knight then explodes into a bunch of orange slices.

For those who are wondering why I'm still watching this even when I explicitly say that it is not the kind of show I enjoy? I am watching this show weekly with two friends. One episode of Gaim, one episode of Black. So yay, you guys get to keep hearing me talk about how crappy the dancing is. Lucky gents, you lot.

Don't ever worry about the police in a toku show. The last series had a police officer for a main character and they were hardly present.

Also, I think you're maybe thinking too hard for this type of show. Just slow down and let samurai fruit riders take you on whatever journey they end up at.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say there's a reasonable reason why I over-think these things, but frankly that reason is that I'm a writer so I'd be lying my goddamn rear end off.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Why would the police care about about a bunch of dance troupes playing pokemon? Plus Yggdrasil probably runs some sort of private security firm.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't seen a whole lot, but I have seen police involved in W. Of course, they can only do so much against T-Rex's making GBS threads fireballs.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

HKR posted:

Don't ever worry about the police in a toku show. The last series had a police officer for a main character and they were hardly present.

Also, I think you're maybe thinking too hard for this type of show. Just slow down and let samurai fruit riders take you on whatever journey they end up at.

Incidentally this is why G3 is the best rider.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I know everybody's been pretty down on the dancing on this show, but I have to say that CGI Deer Inves had some funky fresh moves.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Also the dudes who run the loving city and no doubt own the police force seem pretty interested in letting this Rider thing play out. Volcity's police in Garo S3 didn't seem to give a poo poo about horrors until it was inconvenient for the knights to have to deal with them, and even that was at the will of the higher-ups who did know what was going on.

While we're at it, can I recommend a loving gun or something so you can bargain your way out of a year of watching a show you don't like every week?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 15, 2013

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
'Eh, I get to watch Black afterwards. It's not like I take this super seriously or anything, and hopefully some of my ramblings are amusing.

I will say, that giant CGI monster was the single best dancer of the series so far. Clearly they just needed to challenge him to a dance off.

Also I might force my friend to watch some really awful movies every other week. And then he does the same the weeks in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Burkion posted:

It's not like I take this super seriously or anything, and hopefully some of my ramblings are amusing.

They are not amusing at loving all.

• Locked thread