Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the blade break into stab was lame as hell. it seemed like the writers just up and remembered that kouta had to win and then he did so. and to cap it off there was the really bad "you are truly strong" death scene. you were beating his rear end kaito don't accept that cheating rear end motherfucker

also no horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Blaze Dragon posted:

It actually contained five, Gridon was on Baron's army. And the point is that, again, they had the power to grasp the reins of fate. Any of them, and only them, could've shaped the future. Kouta, Kaito, Micchy, Takatora, and of all people Jonouchi. Depending on how literal you see that scene, it might mean all the Armored and New-Gen Riders, and only had those five because the suits were already made, or it might truly be only them (which gives us the hilarious thing of Jonouchi being apparently more worthy of deciding humanity's future than, say, Minato, Ryoma or Oren, all far more competent than him).

You could kinda say that Minato who just wanted to be kingmaker and Oren who's just a practical mercenary aren't really driven to go changing the world, but I got nothin' for Ryoma.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
It was real cool when bad future Kouta broke the bananaspear and poked Kaito with the floppy end, and they had like three seconds of the spear being gently held against him. I also liked Kouta's sweet new Prog Rock look.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

booksnake posted:

You could kinda say that Minato who just wanted to be kingmaker and Oren who's just a practical mercenary aren't really driven to go changing the world, but I got nothin' for Ryoma.

Or Sid?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Potsticker posted:

everyone dies, butcher! :argh: I liked Madoka, but Gargantia was really mediocre, Pyscho-Pass apparently eventually was good by the end I've heard, but I dropped it halfway through because I wasn't as invested in watching anime as I am in something like Rider where I'll sit through and finish a series even if I have a lot of complaints, and obviously I had a lot of issues with Gaim's storytelling. I don't get Urobuchi's reputation as a popular writer at all.

For ages I thought I was a fan of his stuff, but than I realised I just really love Madoka and everything else he's been involved with has been between okay and bleh. Gaim was mostly okay.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Sid was kind of stupid, he just charged at the Overlords and demanded fruit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah with context?

Kouta, don't loving THANK THE MULTIDIMENSIONAL HORROR THAT BROUGHT ALL OF THIS MISERY AND DEATH TO YOUR DOORSTEP. Do not literally THANK HIM.

I also have to wonder now if the Invess WERE truly alien-like, if they weren't actually from another universe and instead are from THIS universe, just really far away.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

booksnake posted:

I don't think Ryouma or Sid had any desire to change the future, they just wanted to be the guys on top of the current world, that's my attempt at an explanation anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think Ryouma or Sid had any desire to change the future, they just wanted to be the guys on top of the current world, that's my attempt at an explanation anyway.
Makes sense to me.

I'm wondering what kind of things are going to be happening with Jam? Is that what his name is? to justify not just using the episode to flesh out the ending we had.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm wondering what kind of things are going to be happening with Jam? Is that what his name is? to justify not just using the episode to flesh out the ending we had.

I hope its Ryouma's Brain robot clone that he programmed in the Overlord's data into so that he could live forever.

sp0rsk
Jan 29, 2003

This is my life inside a house made out of balloon doggies

Poison Mushroom posted:

I, too, enjoy 'This video is private'.

Oh right :p You should be able to watch it now.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That ending was pretty good overall, even with the obvious flaws. Fabulous epilogue, especially for Micchy and Jounouchi. Even if it's cheap, I really like the concept of Takatora coming back to guide Micchy on a new path.

But I don't really get the preceding bit with Kouta/Kaito/Mai. It was much too clean, bland, and bizarre, even by Gaim standards. At all. Like what was going on there? What were they going for? The battle was short and poorly paced with a dull finale. But it feels like the episode before the epilogue was written by committee with how lame it was. I get the whole death/rebirth theme, but boy, it was horribly awkward and tonally off. Still, the epilogue redeems it, and it's easy to forget it with how the whole thing feels like two wildly different episodes. But man, I wish that Kouta killed Kaito in an impressive way and not literally cheap-shotted him with his own weapon. Ridiculously dumb. It didn't even work thematically, given how it was a battle of ideals... and Kouta doing that goes against the concept! The episode just felt so half-assed before the epilogue. It's straaange.

I'm looking forward to Jounouchi finally getting to be The Man on his own terms next week. Should be a fun episode to send off Gaim before Drive.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 23, 2014

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
What a great show about people dressed up as fruits.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ending was cool. They won't bring it up, but I really want to see how all the other Riders would react in the next SHT slot movie to see that the rookie Rider they met last year has his own planet now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaim had some trouble sticking the landing and a rough start but the bulk of it was a pretty good watch.

It probably won't knock Double and Kuuga off my fave spots (I will fight people over Kuuga I swear) but on the whole I liked it a bunch.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

thinking on it, these last few episodes have treated mai badly. so much for someone finding strength in doing what they can for others despite circumstances

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lessail posted:

thinking on it, these last few episodes have treated mai badly. so much for someone finding strength in doing what they can for others despite circumstances

As bad as it was, Wizard treated Mayu better than Gaim did Minato or Mai.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
I don't remember ever seeing a Rider Kick from Gaim. Did Kouta in whatever armour he was wearing ever perform a Rider Kick?

I'm new to the whole Kamen Rider shebang so I thought that the hero would always do a Rider Kick...?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Pineapple had one, like the second or third episode.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Flat Banana posted:

I'm new to the whole Kamen Rider shebang so I thought that the hero would always do a Rider Kick...?

The new ones usually save them for a special occasion. You'll probably see Gaim's again next week.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flat Banana posted:

I don't remember ever seeing a Rider Kick from Gaim. Did Kouta in whatever armour he was wearing ever perform a Rider Kick?

He's done Rider Kicks as Orange, Pineapple and Jinba Lemon. That said, Kouta is probably the second-worst main Rider at giving kicks, after Hibiki. As another bit, we've gotten kicks from Baron (Banana and Lemon Energy), Ryugen (Grape) and Knuckle as well, but only once from the latter two and I think only once per form for Baron.

The ratio of Rider Kick depends on the series, but Gaim's really bad at it. Normally, if the Rider's on his basic form, expect kicks as finishers, if they aren't branding any weapon the series wants to sell you. Hell, usually the upgraded forms will also have kicks of their own, if rarely seen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The RIDER KICK thing started out as Toei's answer to Ultraman's Specium Ray- a big flashy finisher attack that kids could try and imitate and would be signature to the hero.

The difference was, Toei did not have either the budget, such was there was, or the effects team of Ultraman, which was hugely important if you didn't have a budget, so they had to come up with their own thing. The Kick kind of organically grew as just a flashy attack you could do cheaply with a grasshopper themed super hero-you can see how they slowly realized and settled on how to do it in the original series over the first dozen episodes. After that Riders Rider Kicked more as tradition than anything, with certain old school Riders not even HAVING a Rider Kick be their finisher- Amazon in particular.

I love the attack a great deal, I think it can look very dynamic and awesome when done right, but it's not used that much anymore beyond certain Riders.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, Kouta is probably the second-worst main Rider at giving kicks, after Hibiki.

You think Kouta is worse than Eiji? I'm pretty sure OOO only Rider Kicked twice in the series and the second one didn't even kill anything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

You think Kouta is worse than Eiji? I'm pretty sure OOO only Rider Kicked twice in the series and the second one didn't even kill anything.
There's TaToBa's finisher, and one of TaJaDor's finishers is a really flashy bird-talons Rider Kick, so he's done it at least a few times.

And how could you possibly forget GataKiriBa's one-man All Riders Kick??

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, OOO is kind of a blur to me, except for a few highlights. I guess I was thinking about how TaToBa only kicked twice and extended that to all his forms.

Also, GataKiriBa was only around once.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Burkion posted:

I love the attack a great deal, I think it can look very dynamic and awesome when done right, but it's not used that much anymore beyond certain Riders.

Ahha, thanks. But now you make me wish that Kouta would have at least Rider kicked Kaito's blade deeper into his wound to finish him off, instead of a lame-rear end, inch-deep prick. Spend a couple of thousand dollars, Toei! :bahgawd:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ornac did a rider kick in episode 25.
"Never underestimate a patissier!"

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Rider 1 didn't even consistently kick for a while, he had Rider Chop and Rider Punch as well.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Flat Banana posted:

Ahha, thanks. But now you make me wish that Kouta would have at least Rider kicked Kaito's blade deeper into his wound to finish him off, instead of a lame-rear end, inch-deep prick. Spend a couple of thousand dollars, Toei! :bahgawd:

I was expecting that, and got kind of disappointed that it didn't

Then again, the ending of WOnderful 101 was the best toku finale ever, so everything feels a bit anticlimactic in comparison.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

Then again, the ending of WOnderful 101 was the best toku finale ever, so everything feels a bit anticlimactic in comparison.

That's quite a claim, is it possible to "get it" just watching the ending or should I look for an LP?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I was pretty happy with it, although I did think that the half of a sword tapping his stomach wasn't a very good finish. Maybe if he had thrown literally everything in Kiwami's Armory at him at once. Or maybe if they made it look like the sword actually went through.

Maybe they just ran out of budget and couldn't do a big finishing move.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I hate RX, I really loving hate RX- but drat, he could sell a sword stab.

Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for sparks, but when that fucker stabbed an enemy, it LOOKED like a finisher. If RX was nothing but him fighting and stabbing monsters with his light saber, I would enjoy that show so much more.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Kaito Was Right

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Flat Banana posted:

Gaim used an Orange Rider Kick in the final episode of Wizard.

I...don't remember ever seeing him use an Orange kick in his own series. Did he?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lessail posted:

Kaito Was Right-o

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So the real finale was today and i'm just like

idk

Drive's next week!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Holding in opinions until I see the last ep but from the couple screenshots I saw it looks good.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Potsticker posted:

That's quite a claim, is it possible to "get it" just watching the ending or should I look for an LP?

As you as you know the basic concept of OOOs (medals and combos), you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So why did they even give Joey Hase's belt if he wasn't gonna do a drat thing with it. At least let him kill the monster. It's like they remembered 'oh yeah that thing' and just used it to poo poo on him more.

• Locked thread