Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kamen Rider Gaim is this year's new Kamen Rider series. This one's about Riders with a fruit/samurai theme with Pokemon and street dancing thrown into the mix. It's also being written by Gen Urobuchi, which means I have to make a thread for it.

Story
In the city of Zawame everything is controlled by the Yggdrasill Corporation, from commerce, to the media, schools, clothing, hospitals, construction, and even garbage collection. This has led to feelings of being suffocated as if they were living in a castle town among some of the city's populace. In order to alleviate these feelings, the youth of the city have formed dance crews and compete against each other. In addition to this, a new kind of game has started where people summon creatures called Invess using devices called Lockseeds, and have their summoned creatures fight each other.

Kouta Kazuraba is a former member of a dance team called Gaim, who recently quit in order to find work to support himself and his older sister. One day he receives a message on his cell phone from his former team leader, Yuuya Sumii, with a picture of a belt attached. Going out to meet with Yuuya, Kouta instead finds a portal left open to the Invess' dimension. Investigating on the other side of the portal, Kouta finds a belt and two Lockseeds. By using the belt and combining it with one of the lockseeds, Kouta transforms into Kamen Rider Gaim.

However, Kouta is not the only person who will obtain the power to transform. He will fight not only against wild Invess, but also against other Kamen Riders, turning the setting into a warring states period with Kamen Riders.

Characters

Kouta Kazuraba
The former second in command of Team Gaim, Kouta quit the team in order to find work to support himself and his older sister as their parents are dead. A kind hearted youth who wants to become an adult quickly. As Kamen Rider Gaim he initially has the "Orange" and "Strawberry" Lockseeds.

Mai Takatsukasa
Another member of Team Gaim. An abrasive young woman who is mad at Kouta for quitting Team Gaim.

Yuuya Sumii
The leader of Team Gaim. After obtaining one of the belts he disappears and the belt falls into Kouta's possession.

Kaito Kumon
The leader of Team Baron, Team Gaim's rivals. He has a strong "survival of the fittest" mentality.

Sid
A mysterious man who peddles Lockseeds.

Woman in the white dress
A woman with some connection to the dimension the Invess are from, and who appears to play some sort of role in the battle between Kamen Riders.

Staff
Directors: Ryuta Tasaki (Kamen Rider Ryuki, Kamen Rider W, Akibaranger) and Takayuki Shibasaki (various recent Kamen Rider shows)
Head Writer: Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero)
Producer: Naomi Takebe (Kamen Rider Ryuki, OOO, Kabuto, some others)
Production Company: Toei

Where do I watch it?
You can get fansubs from Aesir Subs.

Trailer (Spoils some future characters, lots of Rider forms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT9-vNOgP_0

Personal Opinions On Things
I am pretty new to Kamen Rider, all I've watched of the franchise so far is about 30 episodes of Black and a few episodes of Kuuga. I do know that Urobuchi is a pretty big fan of Kamen Rider though and his style and preferences seem to lend themselves quite well to a Kamen Rider series (bombastic characters, motorcycles, slightly corny dialogue, interesting villains, cool setting design, etc). I liked what I saw in the first episode a whole lot. Kouta looks like he'll be a good main character, there were a lot of potential future plot points set up, and the setting is well constructed. I'm looking forward to how the plot will develop as other Kamen Riders are introduced.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm watching Black right now and I'm having a blast with it. The monster designs and "evil plots of the week" are very entertaining and the whole show just exudes charm. I've never really watched any Kamen Riders before, so I'd say Black is a good place to start from.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Holy crap this episode.

Those henshins!

E: Secret identities are for squares.

E2: That was fantastic. :tviv:

E3: No seriously this episode owns hard. I need gifs bad.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 13, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out for Gaim 2. You really don't need subs to enjoy this episode, Kouta's actor is doing a fantastic job.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs are out for episode 2.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The real reason Urobuchi took the job: Free Kamen Rider merch.

HKR posted:

So when does the sister die to fulfill her role as Uncle Ben?

Episode 5, maybe.

Gifs courtesy of /m/.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 14, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"To trample your foes, and take all they hold dear. That is the true taste of victory."

I am loving Kaito.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

Rider Kick Cake

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You guys are kind of uncomfortably reminding me of dumbasses in 4chan Gargantia threads calling Bellows a bitch for telling Ledo that he shouldn't escalate conflict and taking that to mean "murder is wrong we should just let pirates pillage and rape us". Please stop being awful.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Also, Kouta didn't abandon a salaryman career to be a Armored Dancing Fruit Samurai. He was a fast food delivery boy and a painter. If Team Gaim activity stops paying the bills, he can go right back to doing various part-time oddjobs. He lost absolutely nothing of consequence.

Believe it or not some part time jobs (or possible full time jobs) may actually ask for references. How do you think that will play out if Kouta gives a potential employer his previous employers' contact info and they come back saying "oh yeah, that's the guy who quit working to play at being an orange"?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

Is Kouta's sister gonna get Uncle Ben'd now? Because that was a "great power, great responsibility" moment.

Urobuchi is a known Spider-Man fan, I wouldn't be surprised.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

>and his name is meant to be a contraction of Seed.

...I feel bad that I never noticed this.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out for episode 5.

The second half of this episode is pretty great.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 5 subs are out.

http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/kamen-rider-gaim-05/

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs are out for episode 6.

Yet another good episode. I'm loving Pierre's lines.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 7 is out.

DJ Sagara some pretty good bits in this one.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 8 is out.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see what Micchy will do when Mai inevitably starts crushing on Kaito and confides in Micchy for love advice on how she should act toward Kouta and Kaito.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 9 is out.

Micchy is the man with all the plans.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've really warmed up to Mai over the last few episodes.

EDIT: I really want someone to try slotting one of those crap sunflower seed lockseeds into a belt just to see what would happen.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rei_ posted:

Admittedly, Urobochi has actually come under fire from the producer over how 'Anime' is writing is for Gaim.

When did this happen?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 10 is out. I'm not sure if Pierre butt or Santa henshin is my favorite part of this episode.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I finished Kamen Rider Black a couple months back and I loved it. I'd highly recommend it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
New Rider/suit preview images. Linked for spoilers.

http://imgur.com/nLmR1zf
http://imgur.com/3OXs0tf
http://imgur.com/X8mmF9o

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 2, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sinner Sandwich posted:

What are the fruit themes for each of these supposed to be? Maybe I'm just a little dense, but the archer riders seem less obvious than the normal riders. I think the last one is meant to be grapefruit judging from the lockseed, but I have no idea.

Edit: I'm blind, second one says its Peach.

I believe they're Cherry, Peach, and Lemon.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
A raw for episode 12 is available.

This episode is mostly just the consequences of the events of last week's episode. We're picking up a lot more steam. Poor Hase-chan. :(

The preview for episode 13 is :aaa: as all hell. Next week is going to be so great. Hase losing it, Bravo fight, Gaim/Baron teamup with Gaim using Banana Arms, a dragon, and Shin Zangetsu doing things. Also Kouta saying "hero of justice" which is about the worst phrase you can possibly use in a Gen Urobuchi work.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 5, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This episode was great.

In this episode you've got Micchy wanting Kouta to throw away the Sengoku Driver (along with his own). Micchy says that he doesn't want them to be used by Yggdrasill and Kouta thinks that the belts can't be thrown away if people can still be in trouble from Invess. But they both have a deeper motivation where Micchy is disgusted that his Beat Riding activities have been tainted by Yggrasill and his family, and Kouta can't bring himself to give up the one thing that he feels is giving his life meaning right now ("It's something only I can do!", etc). Both of them have motives that they aren't willing to admit to each other or truly fully admit to even themselves, which I find really really cool.

EDIT

Also science man starting at Takabutt.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 6, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hase ends up being a Kick Hopper stand-in. Come back a bit later with a souped up belt/seed and show everyone just how strong he really is.

Or if that preview is what I think it is maybe he's a Gills stand-in. He eats the Fruit and becomes a nasty Invess and continues to fight that way.

That might be an interesting way to take the plot.

Like, what if all of those Invess in the opening scene of episode one are former people who have retained sentience after being infected by the fruit, if that is what the fruit does? At some point things get so bad that the only way to stay alive would be to either be an Armored Rider or become a monster (see also: Devilman, some Shin Megami Tensei games).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rei_ posted:

It's really interesting how like, all of these alliances and tensions and breakups are happening and none of them seem hamfisted or weird. I mean, god, remember Ryuki? Remember Faiz??

That's just Urobuchi working his magic.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Short interview with Urobuchi regarding Gaim.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The tricks or the fact that he can murder TV's with them?

Yes.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out for Gaim 13, it's a pretty hectic episode.

Thoughts: People turning into soilbeds for the Helheim plants is actually pretty disturbing. Bravo has some cool scenes this episode and I liked the blatant fanservice that went on to take him down (yes I know this is to market the fact that action figure parts are interchangable). That next episode preview holy poo poo. :tviv:

I found a recording of some kind of small live show for Gaim while looking on twitter for Gaim stuff. The cheering that starts at around 6:25 from a bunch of small children is adorable. But amongst their cheers, suddenly I finally realize the full impact of "oh my god someone actually let Gen Urobuchi write a children's show".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8Y_6lE5Cc

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
And subs are out.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This show has done awful things to me.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
My face that entire episode: :aaaaa:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Oh man. When they cut to the Fruit bar and loving Hase breaks in and assaults (and probably infects) the Gaim dancer. It's loving ridiculous and amazing to get some heavy actual consequences for the hero's indecision in a show like this.

I haven't seen any other Heisei Rider shows, so I wouldn't know. Both Black and Amazon had preventable deaths early on due to the protagonist's errors due to lack of experience, and I liked that. Is that no longer a thing?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Apollove posted:

GOD NOW I WANT TO WATCH IT SO BAD THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME.

The raw was just put up, so you can watch that if you're fine with no subs.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm really impressed with how well they're showing off Kouta's improvement in fighting abilities this episode. Check out that sword technique from 17:45 (Overtime raw timing) onward, especially that parry.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs for episode 14 are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Rush posted:

Most likely, I never got this feeling watching other Rider series'. One question, though: why are people referring to Dr. Sengoku as Warren Statesman?

LightningKimba posted:

The Sengoku Driver is known as the Warring Driver from Aesirsubs, so I assume the new name is to match up with how the Sengoku Driver is named after him?

It is a silly pun, that's all.

• Locked thread