Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is this actually good or is it mainly a joke? (or both?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Potsticker posted:

It was pretty bad, not even good as a joke. Probably the worst first episode of a Rider show I've seen. Too much stuff thrown at the viewer without a lot of coherence. Basically an info dump on what makes the Gaim world different than the real world, with no interesting hooks on what's going to happen in the series. And Kouta is less interesting than Ryotaro from Den-O, who at least had the imagin-possessions (The actor was amazing with these) to give him personality and to interact with. So far none of the supporting cast is anywhere near as entertaining either to help Kouta out with being so bland.
So this probably isn't the best Kamen Rider thing to lose my Kamen Rider virginity to?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Well, I watched it.

Positives:
I actually quite like the main character and the fact that he works poo poo jobs to reduce the burden on his sis gives me some respect for him.
A lot of it is bad in a funny way, rather than just bad. Like the shady lock seed dealer hanging out in the juice bar.

Negatives:
The dance interludes got old incredibly fast.
A lot of it is just bad without being funny.

When it comes down to it, I don't think I was ever going to genuinely like this, but decided to watch out of a sense of curiousity. I can see why there might be a significant nostalgia factor if you grew up watching shows like this. I've never even watched Power Rangers, so I don't even get any comforting childhood vibes from it. However, I think I'd love a show where a mentally unstable protagonist who has been brought up on Kamen Rider/superhero media convinces himself that he's living out the adventures he saw on TV. I could see him rolling around on his own amongst cardboard boxes and dustbins in the middle of the street. The community would band together to make sure he doesn't hurt himself too badly, and some of the younger people would humour him in his fantasy by dressing up in rubber suits.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

tsob posted:

Watch Akibaranger then. It's a live action (i.e. toku) show that's pretty much this but the cast manage to make fights more than rolling in the dirt by the power of their own delusions. Also, the new anime Flamenco Samurai may be like this too apparently.
Yeah, one of the reasons I watched this was so get an idea of the genre before Flamenco comes out. I'll have a look at Akibaranger and see if that's more my cup of tea.

• Locked thread