Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brother Entropy posted:

It wasn't outright stated but it was pretty implied that they're underdogs which would go along with them being less talented. Baron got first place in that little vote thing and that's treated as a normal occurrence, Gaim's hangout looked more humble than Baron's place, Baron has way nicer uniforms.

Now, the dancing could still be terrible when we see Baron do it but shrug, I honestly doubt the dancing stuff is gonna come up too much and is more just a pretext for why there's already existing clans in the city for the Seeds and Drivers to shake up once they're more properly introduced to people.

They were like Number 8 in the top 10 dance battle gangs in the city on that one chart at Baron HQ. THey're not that small time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yup. He was one of the rotating TheBees in Kabuto too. Toei is very happy to recycle actors that aren't in lead roles.

Wait, Fruit Bar man is creepy glasses dude from Kabuto? poo poo maybe he'll finally get to be actually relevant to the plot this series!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also the scene at Micchy's house with him and his brother I love the acting between the two. Micchy lets his persona of a quiet loyal worker slip a bit in that last sentence and his brother looks genuinely worried about his brother in that small moment. I'm really surprised by this show every episode!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fred is on posted:

It's nice how fast things progress when they aren't forcing everything into two-episode arcs, isn't it?

Next week looks a bit filler-riffic, though, but amazing all the same.

Well maybe, yeah, but I mean. Mister Dangerous :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

In order to salvage it, Inoue will be brought in.

Okay look, lets not even loving joke about that, okay? RIP Hibiki, too beautiful for this ugly world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

The only way I could see that happening is if it goes Ryuki, Faiz, or Kiva levels of dark(or at least completely out of nowhere levels of dark like the Pterodactyl Yummies killing a bunch of people in OOOs which is one of the main reasons I never finished that show alongside the fact that Eiji is quite possibly the most incompetent main rider in the franchise's history)

Hi, my name is Kamen Rider Faiz! You might not recognize me at all because I literally cannot hold onto my belt that only I and the monsters I fight can use! Now enjoy watching me lose it every other loving episode because I'm a massive loving moron.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

V-Men posted:

I didn't particularly care for the way Bravo was all slapstick by the end of the episode.

He was always all slapstick, he was just the giver in the previous scenes. Dude's a giant walking Vaudeville act of a human being, the tables were just turned in the end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dexie posted:

That gun confuses the hell out of me. It doesn't fit Gaim's theme of fruit + samurai at all. Granted, it's not the first time something like this has happened, but it still seems really out of place here to me.

You're Saying a DJ gun doesn't fit the Street Dancing Gang Warfare of Gaim?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rei_ posted:

It's way too early for final forms to show up in toy scans, this is probably more along the lines of FangJoker/Tajador, I mean hell we haven't even gotten pics of the secondary ri-...

...Eh.

Tajador WAS the Final Form, it just wasn't the final one shown.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

No PuToTyra was still the final form, it just wasn't the one used to kill the big boss. By that logic, Fourze's base form was also his final form.

I dunno, for talking about which form had the most character importance/development attached to it TaJaDor edges out PuToTyra since it's the physical representation of Ahnk and Eiji's relationship which is what that show was about.

Similarly, Cosmic States is literally powered by friendship and was first used when friendship brought Gen back from the dead and that show was all about Gen building his friendship with everyone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oh my god, can any who can make gifs get me a one with Zangetsu's henshin pose? That loving toss in the air is so good :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 16, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

I don't get it, because Double proved you can have a toy commercial and still move the plot along every single episode. In fact, I don't remember a single episode of Double that didn't move along the plot, even the fake movie episode went somewhere.

I guess the writers from Wizard just had this vague idea of "WIZARDS!" and not enough story telling to fill in the gaps

How quickly we all forget HEAVEN'S TORNADO.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RBX posted:

I will never understand the hate for heaven's tornado.

It's an episode with bad side characters who can't act even for a Toku show and is basically 100% filler. It's just the weakest link in a really strong series. Plus the same general plot was done 10,000x better with the Liar Dopant episode and that bad singer. That beach scene :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

dordreff posted:

Yeah, I guess Kabuto isn't really a "completely avoid" kind of series like Decade and Wizard are, but how much you enjoy it depends on how much you can tolerate a flawless god-king protagonist with no development at all and the boring-rear end girl he follows around everywhere, and on whether or not you can just ignore the story and go along for the fights and suits. Probably also depends on how hungry you are.

I'm sorry If you can't get on the Tendou train, but the episode where he shows up disguised as the priest at a wedding cemented him in my mind as basically one of the best riders.

"God Said This..."

He's 'perfect' but he's so drat entertaining to watch which is something true of all of Kabuto. It's plot falls to shambles and it gets goofy as gently caress but the individual characters and riders are so interesting and fun that you don't really care. It even has one of the best rider deaths in the franchise and they play it off really well. Side characters you thought were done with the plot return in new and interesting ways and in the end it becomes a really lovable cast, 'Perfect' Lead and boring Girl aside.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 25, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love Blade and I'd put it up near the top of my favorite Rider series, but the beginning is difficult to get through for a lot of reasons. It picks up about when Blade gets Jack Form I think. I'll definitely rewatch it when it gets better subs.

The moment you mentioned was great but I still can't stand Tendou. Even near the end of the series when it looks like he's gone insane, it turns out whoops he totally knew the villains' plan the whole time and just didn't feel like telling anybody. He also seemed to be nigh invincible, I remember him pretty much dominating every single fight he was in which got sort of boring.

Dude you're just saying more of why I love him. The fighting style of All Counters and Kicks was so amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I would probably watch an edit of Kabuto where all the parts with Tendou and Hiyori cut out unless they're interacting with the main character, Kagami.

Actually, just cut out Hiyori entirely. She brought nothing to the show.

That's because the Actress fell seriously ill while shooting so her plotline kind of had to be dropped right when things were starting to turn.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So the official site put up the description for episode 13

A weird disease starts to spread within Zawame City, the people who were attacked by the Invess are infected and modern medical technology cannot cure this. The blame is now on the Beat Riders who utilise the Invess during Invess Games. Even so, Kouta still transforms to protect the people when he needs to. At the start time, Yggadrasil contacts Pierre. On the other hand, Hase, whose belt is destroyed, has his friends abandoning him, starts to feel frustrated as he tries to suppress his desire of getting stronger...

Translation done by someone on /m/ so I can't say it's 100% accurate but if it is it looks like things are getting super serious.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Monathin posted:

Eh, I'm willing to give Hase a shot, especially since he seems almost too aware of his impending drop towards grunt-level. Jounouchi: Actual Starscream Stand-In can languish until he gets his act together a bit more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hase ends up being a Kick Hopper stand-in. Come back a bit later with a souped up belt/seed and show everyone just how strong he really is.

Or if that preview is what I think it is maybe he's a Gills stand-in. He eats the Fruit and becomes a nasty Invess and continues to fight that way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

No, no, last episode was a step in the right direction. He actually used a Rider Kick in his base form for once and cared more about actually saving lives than other nonsense.

I also call you out on that last bit. I'm not pretty judgmental-I'm VERY judgmental. Key difference is, I want this show to be a good Rider series. So far it's been an alright, if wildly inconsistent in tone, show with a lot of anime trappings, but it has not really been a Rider show. I hope that changes as it has been.

You should actually watch some loving Early Heisei poo poo because this has been a Rider show since the beginning. It just hasn't been one about JUSTICE. This first arc was the typical "Super Hero learns what it means to be a hero/event happens to force them to grow up into being a hero". The only difference between say, gaim and Double or OOO, is that normally that poo poo's just backstory (Dead Boss, Dead 3rd World Girl) Gaim just took the time to sit down and actually show you that emotional journey since it's both super important and gives a chance to really flesh out the whole cast which the writers have taken full advantage from. Kouta and Micchy alone have gotten more character development in 14 episodes than most Riders get their whole show.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 9, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

My issue with Gaim isn't with the character's its bringing in-it's the lack of focus of the first few episodes and the tonal wonkiness of the episodes after. I fully believe, and have said, that the last few have been fine, however. I would have personally preferred to hold off on showing the monsters as threats until after we got Bravo, or just before, so that we could focus purely on the characters and not make the monsters look completely one note as they have been.

But again, it's been improving which I have already said.

But the first episodes didn't lack a focus? Like, the entire point of those first arcs were setting up the characters and their admittedly Childish desires and goals and contrasting those with what 'the adults' were doing behind the curtain, which the show 100% focused on. The tone hasn't been wonky it's just been two fold. When it's Kids doing lovely Kid things (The Dancing/Invess Battles/Early Rider Confrontations) it's light hearted because the Characters themselves aren't very serious. It's all fun and games even if they treat it seriously. The dark moments of the early episodes are all centered around either Helheim itself or Yggdrasil, both of which represent actual danger and really serious things. That shift in tone feels intended. It's supposed to show that the characters, even Bravo in his own way, are all really immature and not ready for the events ahead (Kinda like how Kouta gets his rear end beaten by Takatora and freaks out or how Micchy will do anything to avoid the actual confrontation between his real life and his brother). The reason the tone is getting overall more serious now is because our Main protagonist himself is growing up, forced to make Adult decisions and deal with real danger and problems. It's why Micchy's actions seem so strange in the last episode because he's actively trying to run away or hide his problems. The tone's not Wonky it's actually really well done.

Like, I guess I'm confused about what you think is 'wonky' about it? Because you're honestly like the only person I've seen say anything about the tone like that so I'm genuinely curious as to your problem with it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 9, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also the monster not being in focus/treated like the biggest threat is kind of a dumb thing to complain about when the main theme of this show, like the entire point behind it, is an Endless Rider War. Like, well duh they're being treated as more than grunts/foot soldiers because they're not the real threat. Yggdrasil is. Zangetsu is. Baron is.

To steal a joke It Turns out Man is the real monster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

dordreff posted:

Melon is the real monster

Soda is the real monster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Endless Rider War? Ryuki had a Rider War. Decade had a Rider War. This hasn't felt like a Rider War so far. Especially not an endless one. The bit in the first episode wasn't even a Rider War. It was just-- Rider Generals with Invess armies. An Invess War.

Except every major conflict in the show so far has been Rider on Rider conflict and the show itself has called the coming war endless. poo poo's a rider war, man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Maybe if there was more than the small handful of Riders we've gotten so far? Or if they were fighting for some cause other than petty disputes over dance stages? Maybe if they were actual disputes at all. Bravo at least was rightfully annoyed that they were kids just playing around, but he's a joke character suffering a joke character fate. Griton/Ornac and Kurokage as well. It's hardly a war if half the characters are treated like joke fodder.

Congrats you've grasped the whole point of the start of the first arc. They're playing at life and are about to be thrust into serious poo poo. Also I'm not sure how the number of riders affects whether or not the series is about Riders fighting Riders.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I wasn't questioning if it was Riders fighting Riders. I was questioning your proclamation about the show giving us an "Endless Rider War."

The main loving Character is the one who called it an Endless War!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

To be fair, I really can't take Kaito seriously when the show paints him as this 'The STRONG will thrive, the WEAK will perish' dude from episode 1, and then has him apply it to being the best dance team in the city with no real irony. That's why his best scenes to me are with Kouta, because he does that and Kouta just goes 'Yeah, whatever buddy'.

Hase and Jonouchi are petty enough in their wants to balance it out at least.

Kaito's uber seriousness basically makes him the best character. Dude just has to be the best and that means being INTENSE AS ALL HELL about everything.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 10, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

The card thing is the best.

The tricks or the fact that he can murder TV's with them?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I wonder how many TVs they've gone through at the Baron "HQ" since Kaito started throwing cards around.

One TV but they're not allowed to bring Phones and tablets anymore after that nasty game of 52 pick up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

The times he's just spilled a whole deck in front of someone with his expression completely unchanging.

I just love him. Like out of this entire culture of dancers he's the only one who can really put on a spectacle/performance. And he's not even trying. It's just who he is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Baofu posted:

Something just occurred to me (spoilered just in case). Is the tree in the Yggdrasil lab the same as the shrine tree from the flashbacks? I'd check but I'm at work atm.

I was thinking that. It's not like a confirmed thing but it makes sense what with Mai going to be the Shrine maiden of that temple and then Not-Mai being some weird Fate Ghost from Helheim.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Apollove posted:

Wow so that was an episode HASE NO

And the SUFFERING begins. Also holy poo poo the disease the Invess are spreading is terrifying as all hell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I haven't seen 13 yet, again, but I've seen the promo material, and is Marika by chance the Fruit Bar spy girl? Or was that a one off thing? They focused on her a lot.

It was a joke. Like they were trying to be secretive and all "No one but us can know OUR BIG SECRET!" Shouted Micchy and then this gossipy girl was trying to edge in on the conversation texting away to god only knows wanting to know the scoop.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

This show has done awful things to me.

This would be me if Gundam Build Fighters hadn't come around to eat my "Stupid poo poo" budget.

And the loving Kampfer Amazing just came out too :cry:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Holy poo poo I pity you guys who aren't watching the show live as it airs because even though I can't speak Japanese this week's episode was intense as all hell.

We finally learned what happened to Yuuya. Oh and who Sidgurd is. And everyone grew up a little bit this episode.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

My face that entire episode: :aaaaa:

Oh man. When they cut to the Fruit bar and loving Hase breaks in and assaults (and probably infects) the Gaim dancer. It's loving ridiculous and amazing to get some heavy actual consequences for the hero's indecision in a show like this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I haven't seen any other Heisei Rider shows, so I wouldn't know. Both Black and Amazon had preventable deaths early on due to the protagonist's errors due to lack of experience, and I liked that. Is that no longer a thing?

There's not many Preventable deaths in Heisei, though many do have a death as motivation or just death in general. The last preventable death I can think of is the girl in Eiji's back-story for OOOs and even that's a bit iffy. He was in a warzone in some less developed country and failed to save a little girl from some rocket attack and the whole event kind of made him into this aimless, goal-less wandering hobo until he gets the OOOdriver.o

Also the most interesting thing this week None of the invess are native to Helheim. Even the mook ones were created by Dr. Warren Statesman testing the fruit on lab rats.

This poo poo is crazy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 19, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

The raw was just put up, so you can watch that if you're fine with no subs.

And most of the twists/reveals this episodes don't really require subs so you should be fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

Wärring Driver, I think you'll find. I just wanted to introduce metal umlauts on this page, don't mind me.

Dr. Wärren Stätesmänn

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Apollove posted:

So I remember that some shows are livestreamed from the broadcast or something, does anyone know if they do that with Gaim, or if someone is doing that with Gaim.

They do and it literally JUST ended like 2 mins ago.

Spoilers from the PREVIEW of next week's episode: They loving managed to keep a form upgrade unspoiled. Like I was actually surprise when the armor popped up in the preview.

And about THIS weeks episode apparently EVERYONE at Yggdrasil outside of Takatora is running their own side scheme. Sid's being a massive evil rear end in a top hat, Peach lady's working with Dr. Warren Statesmann with his new R&D plans, And the DJ gives Gaim his escape, an extension for his drive so it can use Energy Lockseeds and A Lemon Energy Lock Seed. Things are only getting crazier. Also some really good stuff from Kaito this week. More magic card tricks.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Subs are out and

Magenta please stop
. You're gonna get all the fanboys and spergs to have aneurisms .

• Locked thread