Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I really liked how the fight at the end had him slowly learning what the belt let him do, it was a nice change of pace from either someone telling the lead or them knowing instantly when the story begins. The monster being more feral after four seasons where they were either humans or close enough to it was nice as well.

The lead bleeding in the first episode lets me sort of buy it being more serious later, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The toys are more obvious now, but Kamen Rider has always been about selling poo poo. That's why television shows get green-lighted, because people think they'll make money.

And I don't think you should judge it by the first episode so much, because after Wizard's first one most people thought it was gonna be an outstanding entry in the series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It sounds like it's less Gaim you don't like and more most of the recent Heisei shows. Which I can understand, but I'll reserve judgement about the toys until they introduce one, make it the focal point of a scene, and then never use it again, ever (which probably will happen, honestly).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rei_ posted:

You shut your god drat mouth about the Boron Booster.

I was more thinking about Ixa's whistles, which you'd think Nago would spam considering how useful the idea of it is.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HKR posted:

Don't ever worry about the police in a toku show. The last series had a police officer for a main character and they were hardly present.

To be fair, that was because Rinko was a bad character. The ones with cops that aren't tend to have them matter more.

But hell, forget the police in Wizard, the real waste was Section Zero or whatever it was called.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 15, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah if you leave them out, fine, I understand that, especially if you don't seem to have much of a plan for them.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Seemed like partly a cultural sentiment to me. Although you could compare it to Peter Parker using his powers to go wrestle pretty well, except presumably without his sister eating a bullet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Personally I'd be focusing more on the fact he's basically using a superpower-granting belt to feed his own ego and get attention. Even if he were in a more regular career that's not healthy behavior.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Yeah, putting aside some of the actual discussion about it, just bringing this kind of stuff up makes it stand out a lot compared to other entries.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm not sure what to think of this guy, really.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I get the feeling Zangetsu might not be in power for the whole show. There's at least one person who doesn't seem to respect his authority. Might not be the only person in the running for head honcho, either.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rei_ posted:

My money is really on Hase getting Cherry Arms, they're probably going to wind up recruiting him or something.

I dunno why they'd recruit one of the two weakest riders, though.

If they want to keep him as Kurokage they could always come up with a justification for the MP Kurokage belts working differently and have him jack one.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Think anything will come from Gridon's training with Oren, if it does turn out to be actual training? Could be interesting if Hase gets another driver somehow and comes gunning for revenge: which one of them wanted to get stronger more?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like you haven't paid much attention to how Kamen Rider has done monsters in its last few shows, because how Gaim has treated the Invase has been a breath of fresh air. There's no 'I can't figure out how to defeat this guy's gimmick' or 'he got away when I was kicking his rear end'. They're just monsters acting on instinct, and the newest episode has shown Gaim can put away three of them by himself.

But that's not going to help matters much when the forest filled with a horde of them is creeping gradually closer and closer onto the city.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 9, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
To be fair, I really can't take Kaito seriously when the show paints him as this 'The STRONG will thrive, the WEAK will perish' dude from episode 1, and then has him apply it to being the best dance team in the city with no real irony. And considering he's half the reason the war started, that's an issue for me.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 10, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My favorite scenes are when he's just dicking around with cards.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The tricks or the fact that he can murder TV's with them?

The times he's just spilled a whole deck in front of someone with his expression completely unchanging.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's apparently a picture of him fighting Marika in the magazines, that could be interesting, depending how worthwhile a character she is to interact with.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, there have to be at least some already there, since Hase turned into one by eating the fruit. Unless Yggdrasil made the trees there sprout the stuff.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hopefully who they hired in this case will make them less likely to change things halfway through, especially considering how making Kyoryuger radically different than Gobusters didn't change much in ratings.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They're not as good as pen tricks, sadly. She was a pretty great.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kaito tossed the Walnut lock to Zach as they were walking away, right? Barring a second Bravo twist, seems we know who Knuckle is. And speaking of Bravo, I think we'll be seeing the back of him very very soon, going by the preview.

If what Red Hot did in this episode escalates, Zawame might turn into Tokyo during Devil Survivor by the end.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rei_ posted:

Did anyone else see those tiny loving mouths on the pink thing next to Micchy and Takatora?

Someone had to point it out to me. I bet some kids noticed and had nightmares thinking about what was under the cliff. :allears:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I knew Gridon was a scumbag, but 'I'm going to attack your sister while you watch' is low even for him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Weird it took Takatora spelling it all out for him to realize that hey, maybe a lot of the Inves are people if Hase turned into one. I guess Kouta's a bit thick, but still.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If we're talking flaws of the show, I really think Bravo needs to go.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well the series didn't show us any scenes of them just playing with the Inves in friendly competitions, right? Everyone is using them for fights with stuff on the line, and in that case the priority is more 'can this thing fight well?' instead of whether they look cool.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
By Kaito, I would assume.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well I could fight her for her lockseed - or I could just steal it. Think I'll go with option B.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got a "Get off my lawn" vibe, personally. These Overlord guys must be pretty irritated at Helheim barging in like they own the place. It could explain that attack on their camp during the Christmas game - looking back, it seems pretty coordinated, which makes more sense now we know they have intelligent leaders.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And the show would be better off if they just made it about the Secondary Rider.

A whole series of "My button! MY BUTTON!" would be more entertaining, but I don't know about straight-up better.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I could have done without the cross-dressing stuff, but if this is a sign of Joey actually doing poo poo later I can deal.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I could see why Oren was in this episode, but I wish he hadn't looked like a loving idiot in almost every scene he was in.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ha ha, they must have made that scan of him fighting Sid and Micchy just to make this more of a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So why did they even give Joey Hase's belt if he wasn't gonna do a drat thing with it. At least let him kill the monster. It's like they remembered 'oh yeah that thing' and just used it to poo poo on him more.

• Locked thread