Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

That guy? He's Griton. His Lockseeds are Acorn, Pinecone and Durian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Potsticker posted:

It was pretty bad, not even good as a joke. Probably the worst first episode of a Rider show I've seen. Too much stuff thrown at the viewer without a lot of coherence. Basically an info dump on what makes the Gaim world different than the real world, with no interesting hooks on what's going to happen in the series. And Kouta is less interesting than Ryotaro from Den-O, who at least had the imagin-possessions (The actor was amazing with these) to give him personality and to interact with. So far none of the supporting cast is anywhere near as entertaining either to help Kouta out with being so bland.

Things I did like were Yggdrasil Tower giving the city a unique identity, (like Fuuto in W) and the DJ/announcer's scenes. (Professor K!) And the only thing I'm really interested in seeing how much it does deviate from the usual Rider formula. Wizard was a very "safe" show in how it was structured, so if Gaim is going to do things differently, at least that sounds interesting.

Wizard wasn't a safe Rider show at all, it took a huge risk that in telling a story that it didn't have the actors or writers to pay off. Tsuyoshi Kida took on a majority of the script, but forbid writers like Junko Komura from advancing the story without his presence. Unfortunately Tsuyoshi Kida is kind of a lovely writer (okay, this is unfair, a bit? He wrote a lot of what people consider to be the good half of Hibiki, but again that was also a really risky show), all of Wizard really stand-out episodes were written by Komura. Like the episode with Beasts Grandmother or the Manju arc. These are actually really good filler episodes that make fantastic use of the characters in them, and actually fufill some of the concepts of the show.

Monsters in Wizard tended to just oogba-booga instead of actually like, trying to do that whole despair thing? That was mostly Kida's writing. In the Komura episodes, you actually have the monsters doing really hosed up poo poo to people. When Kida sort of gets the stars to align, he can pull off a fantastic SETPIECE (like, for instance, Phoenix being kicked into the loving sun.) but he also had to contend with Koyomi, who was kind of the focal point of much of the story, being played by a teen idol whose own schedule conflicted with Wizard's shooting.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 9, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Supposedly Urobochi's master plan for the show will be revealed by episode 3, and episodes 1 and 2 are supposed to be a slow burn. I'm not sure where that information came from, but Lynxara from Aesir/OT/LowVisibility was talking about it and she's never been wrong. By front-loading the twist, you can let the consequences play out for the series, instead of letting everyone sit around for 38 episodes before they reveal everyone's a robot and the mysterious padlocks made from magic fruit in a haunted forest full of monsters distributed by seedy guys in trenchcoats might be evil.

Also as far as Wizard goes, I think it points more to Bandai/Toei in the post-Hibiki Rider series being harder to write under than before. Wizard had a LOT of problems establishing any kind of consistent threat upon Haruto, because he just seemed to get his rear end kicked until the next powerup fell into his lap. So the pacing was basically at the whim of toy assembly lines. Really strong writers have been able to adapt to this, OOOs and Double stand out as shows that actually thrived under this condition, Fourze stumbled a bit and it absolutely kicked Wizard's rear end. I'm hoping Gaim's return to a more streamlined gimmick reduces this.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 9, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Well, Kuuga and Gaim have over a decade between them, different writing teams, different goals and different stories with different themes and different characters. So no, they're not aimed at the same people. Kuuga was a pet project that took a much longer time to write than any other Rider show. And it's not like we haven't seen shows juggle this many themes before, and am I the only one who noticed that Gaim is a pretty lovely dance team? Like, that's actually pointed out in the first episode, that people think they're a bunch of scrubs.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

They go from like, below-average ranking to second-last on the town leaderboards. The team has been suffering because they can't afford decent lockseeds, and their best dancer left them.

edit: Kouta is going to solve this by being an orange and riding a horse, obvs.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 9, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

New Belt.

The Genesis Driver. It's a loving Juicer, used by Zangetsu at the very least, and probably the other teased riders (Cherry, Lemon, Peach). It's speculated that the latter three are like, mass-production Riders with one-use Lock Seeds. Also teased is Zangetsu's...what is that? Canteloupe form?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There's supposedly a translated interview going up on HJU in a bit that confirms these things:
-Gaim has been in development since before 2012, prior to Wizard actually. By the time Takase came on board, Urobochi had already been a part of the team with all of the major themes and motifs in place. The last Rider show with a long development cycle was Double.
-"Tasaki reveals that dancing in Gaim represents youth, and a character's ties to youth. As characters mature, they move on to other things. So that pretty much confirms suspicions that the dance sequences are probably going to be downplayed as the series' plot develops"
-"Urobuchi is behind Yggdrasil and Gaim using a "fictional city" setting like Zawame City. Tasaki says Kota will "change drastically" and Urobuchi felt a fictional city gave him more room for showing the ways Kota was changing as a protagonist."
-"Tasaki concedes that the first episodes are "strangely basic" but says there are "many twists" coming up."
-"Takebe disliked the "two Rider" formula post-W, and wanted to scrap it in favor of multiple Riders. Urobuchi, a big Ryuki fan, agreed."

Quote from @lowvisibility on Twitter

edit:
-"Tasaki confirms that Gaim's first two episodes are intentionally loaded with early Heisei Rider references, says "Urobuchi's trap" quote ... Urobuchi's plan is to build up "a story most fans are used to," then "tear it down with new and surprising twists." "It's not enough to... use successful things from previous shows, it's uninteresting... you might as well watch that show instead.""

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 10, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

You shut your god drat mouth about the Boron Booster.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Here's your full Gaimu Interview

http://henshinjustice.com/2013/10/10/gaim-director-ryuta-tasaki-on-urobuchis-trap/

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The last boss is that mean lady from Dance Moms and finally, finally, Burkion is vindicated in the final moments of the show.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm starting to be concerned that this show might be a winner.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Also the dudes who run the loving city and no doubt own the police force seem pretty interested in letting this Rider thing play out. Volcity's police in Garo S3 didn't seem to give a poo poo about horrors until it was inconvenient for the knights to have to deal with them, and even that was at the will of the higher-ups who did know what was going on.

While we're at it, can I recommend a loving gun or something so you can bargain your way out of a year of watching a show you don't like every week?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 15, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

We're never going back to the days of Ichijo, Hikawa or dang like even Hojo (who was actually a decent guy I always thought, just sort of pushed in all the wrong directions).

The cops in Toku are always sort of ancillary (barring Dekaranger), at best they're like, secondary allies but most of the time they just show up to ping bullets off of the monsters before being vaporized. And it's largely because like, you wouldn't task the cops with fighting monsters, it's not their role. Unless the cops are specifically tasked to deal with monsters they typically seem to know better to just stay out of it and leave it to them... Unless it's like, loving Signalman, but Signalman is awesome and I wouldn't tell him what he couldn't do.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Well Yggdrasil has their own forces for fighting inbess beasts, it's just Riders and not like, Zect.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There's another Gaim Interview out, this time interviewing Urobochi.

edit: Aaand your preview for episode three is here

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 20, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The mainline toys for Gaim are pretty hype.

Arms Change 01 Gaim ORANGE ARMS
Arms Change 02 Baron BANANA ARMS

Ryugen should be out next week, followed by Zangetsu... And then I think Ichigo and Pine are out in a two-pack of just the armor, no figure.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Episode 03

I look forward to hearing everyones questionable opinions about women and dancing.

Not really.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

/m/ got really weird about the sisters whole 'Please don't pay for your rent with what's essentially gambling payouts', but it's literally 4chan.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There's a bunch of different things going on. Mai is making an assumption about Kouta, which doesn't seem WRONG but is rather sort of naive, I guess? He also seems to be enjoying everyone's dependence on him. Kouta's actually pretty selfish, he's enjoying his time as a superhero, beating up like, tiny toy monsters as a stage performance rather than helping anyone. He's literally Spiderman right now using his new power to feel good about himself and earn some quick cash. Mai's whole existence seems to revolve around street dancing, though. Gaku Sono continues to be a pretty fantastic actor, I mean, for someone staring at a CGI Banana, he seems downright heartbroken that his time as basically a street entertainer has come to an end.

The suit actor playing Gaim is fantastic, Seiji Takiwa has been doing the Main Rider since like, Agito? Maybe he missed one or two but he's the primary Heisei Rider suit guy and I've always loved the amount of energy he has. Gaim has this sort of nervous energy about him right now that I really like watching, especially when Baron's coming at him. His fighting style is also really choppy and bewildered, even when he's fighting one sided, he's really just sort of swinging like an idiot, and I'm really excited to see him improve as the show goes on.

Speaking of Baron, we're starting to see some dynamics arise in how the different Riders relate to eachother. While this is sort of a no-brainer, it's something Rider vs Rider series always sort of stumble over so I like that they're not just setting up 'HEY, RIDER WAR' but there's actually people talking to eachother for several episodes so we can see how they feel about different things and how this puts them in opposition to one another. Ryugen for instance is someone who's incredibly loyal and subservient, but from magazine spoilers we're going to see that childlike hero worship tested probably in multiple directions. I like that we're seeing a bit more of the non-Rider Dance Teams, like RAIDO WILDO(?!?) and Team Invitto (and supposedly THAT dude is Gridon.)

Also, when Kaito is cutting that deck of cards he's playing with, the card that's showing when he splits the deck is Banana. I thought that was kinda cute.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 22, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Kaito confirmed for Jareth.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So like, we're not going to go into the part where we just outright dragged misogynist slurs into this conversation about the socioeconomic ethics of being a fruit samurai in a childrens show.

It comes down to the Spiderman thing again. Like, your labour is supposed to benefit society. The value you generate is supposed to be for everyone, and yes, working at a grocery store, helping people get food is more ethical than say, being a street performer. And Kouta's not even doing that much, he's showboating his fancy armour, while he's claiming to be an adult, a 'new man', by beating up people he's claimed to leave behind as children. He's playing with toys. Kouta's sister doesn't just want him to earn money, she wants him to act like a loving adult, and this catches up with him in the episode, because it's his showboating and grandstanding that escalates the Inves game into the Rider War. It's much like how Spiderman's wrestling led to Uncle Ben being killed, except in this case what Kouta has done is completely undone the fabric of his subculture. Remember in Japanese society, family and society come before literally everything else.

As far as the rankings thing, it's shown that the people watching the streams vote on what team they LIKE, street dancing was just the primary way to do this before the Inves Game came into full swing. Even though everyone's bad at dancing, it's secondary even now to how good they are at the Inves game. Remember in the first episode, people aren't voting that Baron were good dancers, they were voting that Baron beat the crap out of Gaim at the Inves game, and Team Gaim embarrassed themselves by dropping the lock. We've entered the setting at the time where the actual street dancing is actually phasing out of popularity due to the increasing number of Lock Seeds being peddled.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Well Mai's right, like, people are showing up to watch Bugman Cockfights and not the dancing. Kouta's enjoying his time in the limelight, look at the expression on his face when Baron transforms, he looks just utterly undone. Kaito's got a point, if he's going to show up and turn the Beat Rider scene from the Inves Game into whatever the hell it is he's doing now, he better either use it for something more than just entertaining people. Kaito, Mai, and his sister are all making the same point; he's a kid playing with toys for attention and easy cash, when he should be doing bigger and better things, whether that's helping people/being part of the team/gaining power.

Kouta equates adulthood with financial independence and popularity, no matter how you earn it. Everyone around him is arguing that this is a hollow endeavour because it doesn't GO anywhere. It doesn't ultimately help the team, because he's making it all about him, he's not directly advancing his teams position, and he's not securing himself any kind of lasting independence.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Elfgames posted:

You're right we should start paying money for every street brawl.

I'm just saying that cockfighting is a legitimate business enterprise.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Pro video gaming is an awful job, take it from someone who has actually worked as a games journalist.

It's bad.

If someone tells you to grow up and get a real job, and your job is -playing video games-, they are giving you serious and heartfelt advice. "It makes money" is not a reason that a job is a good or bad thing, we're talking about a show that is about growing up and being mature and responsible and your comparison is Pewdiepie?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, there's a lot of fantastic writing with a really, really talented cast. It seems to bump up a lot against the suit design and any direction that involves actual motion though, which is a shame.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Gaim has generated more discussion than any Rider series in years and I'm okay with this.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I've only seen the Raw so far but it was a REALLY good episode, lots of stuff is starting to happen.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm pretty sure that was only told explicitly in magazines and press stuff.

edit: But yeah, this was a fantastic episode. There's definitely a lot of things escalating, with Kaito basically buying out his competition by doing like maybe the most sensible thing you could do with a forest full of Lock Seeds, and Kouta very quickly realizing just how dangerous everything has gotten, and idk, it seems like a pretty realistic decision he makes at that EXACT MOMENT considering what had just happened to him. Micchi Sort of comes out of nowhere in this episode, as he's largely a background character until now, and asserts himself with a pretty strong and clear motivation. We get some good characterization out of him, too.

What's interesting with Kouta is we now have five characters pulling him in five different directions, and we're seeing how he responds to each one. Mai is showering him with a level of praise and recognition that I don't know if he entirely deserves. Micchi clearly idolizes him in a similar way, but is willing to take on his burden. Kaito sees him as not taking full advantage of his power, and clearly wants him out of the way entirely. Akira somewhat rudely judges him, but she makes some good points about how he's still very immature in how he sees the world and uses what he has at his disposal. Whereas Takatora just sees him as pathetic, possessing the belt as something he's not at all capable of. Takatora lets him live, but it's unsure if he sees Kouta as just not worth killing, or wants to see if he grows into a suitable competitor.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 29, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, some assumptions I have are:
a) Do NOT expect anyone outside of the main four Riders to have a lasting presence. I have a suspicion Gridon's suit was finished early enough for press photography, so he's featured as heavily as the others, but he largely reuses Baron's side-effects on the belt (and his bodysuit is a recolour of Baron's, too) which isn't damning, persay, but just...don't get too attached. Gridon has been revealed alongside two other Riders so far in magazine spoilers, Bravo (Some dude using the Durian Seed) and Kurokage (RAIDO WILDO guy using the Pinecone Seed)

Magazine Spoilers have been leaning to this show feeling very Ryuki, which means monsters play a role, but we're going to see a LOT of Riders come and go before this series is over. Like I think offhand already, I can think offhand of ten that have been revealed and we aren't even in the double-digits yet. (Orange, Banana, Grape, Melon, Acorn, Pinecone, Durian, Lemon, Cherry, Peach.)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Some more upcoming Arms Change figures Baron's Skyrim Mango Armor and Ryugen's Kiwi Chakram Armor

http://sve.2chan.net/cgi/g/src/1384248850914.jpg

loving cool as hell.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh jeeze. Those really are horns on his head. Also, the proper Skyrim weapon is a Greatsword :colbert:

Yeah if you're a loving scrub.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, there's an episode where Kusaka and Takumi are on the run from a pair of Oprhenocs that have their belts.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Admittedly, Urobochi has actually come under fire from the producer over how 'Anime' is writing is for Gaim.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's way too early for final forms to show up in toy scans, this is probably more along the lines of FangJoker/Tajador, I mean hell we haven't even gotten pics of the secondary ri-...

...Eh.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Caithness posted:

Sailor Moon and Precure seem pretty tokusatsu to me.

Yes, Sailor Moon was in actuality an attempt to market Sentai to young women out of the Magical Girl genre which had been popular in Japan since the 60s as a result of Bewitched syndicating over there.

Not joking.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Someone should just compile a list of the Beast episodes of Wizard so I can watch those.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Blade is fantastic but apparently everything up to SAYAAAKAAAAAA didn't have a director.

Everyone on that show is REALLY good at screaming.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Blade's suit really looked a hell of a lot like power armor, moreso than Faiz ever did. I really like the design of it, and by the time King Form rolls around they got a lot better at shooting that kind of suit and choreographing around it. People complain how final forms often look rushed, but they're also developed sometimes learning from the mistakes of the original suit. The latter half of Kiva uses Emperor entirely because it was designed to be much, much lighter than the original suit which was causing a lot of problems during filming.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Sigurd's one of my favourite Rider designs in a good long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, they fit the pattern of what a Secondary Rider is, but through Gaim's lens.

• Locked thread