Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The little dance promos at the end of Kyoryuger's last couple of episodes that have Gaim actors doing the Kyoryuger dance are better then the first episode's dance scene.

I think the majority of the first episode budget was spent on that helicopter shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

So when does the sister die to fulfill her role as Uncle Ben?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Burkion posted:

Second episode is fine. Here is where I and Gaim begin to drift apart completely. The writing was OK for the most part but I REALLY have to wonder where the hell the police where, if there are police in this universe. Which there may not be.

The dancing was OK. It was better than last week for sure, they didn't feel as stiff, but it still wasn't all that great and definitely shouldn't be a focus of the show unless they can really make a show of it. It didn't have a lot of energy or life to it, but benefited from people who felt more limber than loving geriatric white men, so good on it.

Which brings me to where I drift. The episode was fine. It was silly and it meant to be silly and it was fun and it was light hearted and that's fine. It's not what I care for in Kamen Rider specifically, especially to this overt a degree, but that's why I'm not really complaining about it because there would be no basis in it. One thing I try not to do is rant about bullshit that I don't like without a good reason for why it doesn't work. Oh I could bring up a lot of things I'd change if the work was supposed to be more serious, but it really isn't and it really isn't trying to be. On a personal level, I do not really care for light, silly Rider series like this.

...which I feel is going to make the coming weeks rather painful. Not so much for the silliness which I'll just generally groan about but not really comment on, but for what I fear is a coming tone shift. Rumblings from the director in that interview, from the writer and his body of work, have me dreading that this show is going to live up to their promises of both being like the older Heisei Series, AND straight up emulating the dramatic, and ultimately tragic, relationship between Kamen Rider Black and Shadow Moon. Because, I'm sorry, but I don't think any amount of serious writing or good direction could ever make an orange wearing Samurai killing a Banana Wearing Knight serious OR dramatic, especially if the Knight then explodes into a bunch of orange slices.

For those who are wondering why I'm still watching this even when I explicitly say that it is not the kind of show I enjoy? I am watching this show weekly with two friends. One episode of Gaim, one episode of Black. So yay, you guys get to keep hearing me talk about how crappy the dancing is. Lucky gents, you lot.

Don't ever worry about the police in a toku show. The last series had a police officer for a main character and they were hardly present.

Also, I think you're maybe thinking too hard for this type of show. Just slow down and let samurai fruit riders take you on whatever journey they end up at.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm not really sure what's weird about it. Then again, my first reaction to the scene was: "what an uppity oval office", so I'm part of the problem ...

I get what they were going for, but they really went about it the wrong way and just made the sister come off as a complete bitch.

You are the problem.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

So can you explain what the problem is (as opposed to just saying it's a problem and then not illustrating why) so that I may be able to get past it, because right now I think it's just bad writing on the part of the team muddling the point they were trying to get across and making a character look worse than they intended her to.

Calling a women a "oval office" and "bitch" because she gave her younger brother some life advice is not a healthy reaction.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

As far as I'm aware those words have an in-built reference to women. I'd have used bastard or dick if a man had said it. Apparently you only read those words and not the actual content or why I had a problem with what the person in question said though.

Yes because generally anyone who throws out those words about a person/character they don't like doesn't have an opinion worth reading.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Let's also realize if this show wasn't aimed at kids the gangs wouldn't be dancing Pokemon fighters, they'd be violent thugs doing bad things. The sister's speech comes from that universe, which is why it seems like an over-reaction.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I really want a fish dog.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Where his sister's coming from makes all the more sense when you consider the history of this street competition stuff; not so long ago it was all dancing, then the Inves Game started and how well you dance stopped being important, and then Kouta got his belt and started curbstomping all the other teams' Inves and that made the skills those guys had depended on no good. The world's he's found himself depending on is very mercurial and he could lose all this money at any time if the next big thing comes along - perhaps something like another Armoured Rider showing up and providing legitimate competition to him?

I think this actually highlights my favorite part of the episode. Kouta looked legitimately scared of Baron. His stance after he transformed was so incredibly low, like he was trying to make himself shrink.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I'm just glad that we haven't devolved into the monster of the week yet. I hope the show never gets like that.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I wish someday Sabin or some other us company just decides to roll their own toku. The Power Rangers movie was actually decent and shows we can do spandex martial arts just as good.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

V-Men posted:

I take it they're not just movie Riders then?

Energy Riders seem like they're going to be the "second rider" or at least, second wave of riders in Gaim.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

The worst part about youtube toku clips is that they're always TVN subs.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Everything is so good and the plot keeps moving episode to episode.

Any time now I'm expecting them to go "Whelp we know how to cure the monsters now so we can go back to our two episode victim of the week formula!" but it hasn't happened yet.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I'm kinda hoping for something more biblical like that valley containing the Tree of Life and Helheim is the Garden of Eden but was corrupted by Invess when Eve ate the apple. Leading up to Gaim's ultimate form being from an Apple lockseed delivered by the tree/Eve.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

I'm very happy to see Pierre back in action. It's awesome to see him fighting Micchy. Jounouchi's ever-failing ways will surely be endlessly amusing too.

$5 says Pierre is the one who figures out it's not Takatora just by examining his fighting style

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I really liked Fourze, even if the ending is both too cliche and not thorough enough.

That's because the ending is not in the actual series, but in Movie War Ultimatum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Fixed your post.

This conversation does bring up a good point, though. Are there any KR series that actually have satisfying finales? It seems like just about every single one I've watched has issues with wrapping up the ending.

Like I said the other day, if you think Fourze's ending is episode 48, you're wrong. Movie War Ultimatum tied everything in that series into a perfect little bow. You have to put up with some Wizard bullshit but the Fourze stuff does a great job of giving a satisfying conclusion.

Hell, the only real problem with Fourze's ending episode was the last five minutes. The "final battle" was really loving good.

• Locked thread