Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is the foreign tax credit a 1:1 thing? I'm moving to Australia (ostensibly for good) early next year, and taxes there are probably always going to be higher than in the US. Assuming the exchange rate doesn't crater, I would hopefully be exceeding the ~$USD97k for the FEIE by mid-career. Is one more or less in the clear as far as Uncle Sam is concerned if you're paying higher taxes abroad and filing for the foreign tax credit?

Yes, it is 1:1, if you owe $3,476 in US taxes and paid $4,000 in foreign taxes, the credit would take care of your entire US tax burden and then some (which you could then carry over to future years for up to 10 years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I'm an American expat who spent two years in Melbourne, and I've just moved to London.

I get paid in USD to a US bank account so a lot of the money transfer questions that people are asking don't apply to me - instead, I have the reverse problem of how I can move my US money into a foreign country. I've found a completely fee-free way to do this, but it's quite ridiculous - I withdraw cash in the foreign country from an ATM (ideally one that my US bank has a relationship with so I don't pay an ATM fee), and then deposit the cash into my local country bank account. Nothing else I've looked into - wires, transfer websites, even FX trading - seems to be as easy or as cheap.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Be careful with that since your bank is likely charging a markup on the currency conversion. I think Visa has a standardized rate. In my experience it's usually 2-3% over market. Not a big deal for something temporary but if it's your only way to ever get cash, definitely look at the fine print. Certainly convenient though!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 16, 2014

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

zmcnulty posted:

Be careful with that since your bank is likely charging a markup on the currency conversion. I think Visa has a standardized rate. In my experience it's usually 2-3% over market. Not a big deal for something temporary but if it's your only way to ever get cash, definitely look at the fine print. Certainly convenient though!
My bank definitely charges the market rate - I've verified it. My credit card does too. I think US banks and credit cards are not allowed to disguise their foreign transaction fees, and if they are charging something extra, they're required to mark it as a separate fee. I know that's how one of my cards does it.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Ani posted:

My bank definitely charges the market rate - I've verified it. My credit card does too. I think US banks and credit cards are not allowed to disguise their foreign transaction fees, and if they are charging something extra, they're required to mark it as a separate fee. I know that's how one of my cards does it.

I also find this hard to believe, and I suspect in the majority of cases, there is a feee of some sort involved. I know both my American credit cards(visa / mastercard / discover) charge fees and do not use a favorable exchange rate. My ATM card does the same. I'd definitely verify exactly what you are being charged if you try going this route, as no fees and a good exchange rate are definitely not typcial.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

GTGastby posted:

I also find this hard to believe, and I suspect in the majority of cases, there is a feee of some sort involved. I know both my American credit cards(visa / mastercard / discover) charge fees and do not use a favorable exchange rate. My ATM card does the same. I'd definitely verify exactly what you are being charged if you try going this route, as no fees and a good exchange rate are definitely not typcial.

Not really. If your American bank has some sort of relationship with your foreign bank there usually aren't any fees involved.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
USAA (if you can get it) is pretty dope as well.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'd recommend using HSBC if you expect to be moving around as an expat for a while.
I have a Premier account with them and I believe they have a better footprint across the world than any of the American banks.

For the poster upstream who's earning USD and living in London for a while, shouldn't you be thinking about hedging your exposure to GBPUSD?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

shrike82 posted:

I'd recommend using HSBC if you expect to be moving around as an expat for a while.
I have a Premier account with them and I believe they have a better footprint across the world than any of the American banks.

For the poster upstream who's earning USD and living in London for a while, shouldn't you be thinking about hedging your exposure to GBPUSD?

All of this. Their other accounts are poo poo, but Premier gives you a good conversion rate and some excellent side perks like free travel insurance which is huge when flying back to the States.

What do we think about GBP/USD moving forward?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

quote:

My American bank is Citi, and while they don't have a particularly great global footprint (not as good as HSBC certainly), it's good enough / they have relationships with enough foreign banks, at least everywhere I've been.

shrike82 posted:

How would you recommend doing this? The exchange rate doesn't seem that volatile on a short-term basis, and over the long-term I don't have an opinion as to how it will move.

quote:

The only fees I get charged for withdrawing cash are ATM fees, if I withdraw from an ATM that charges Citi cardholders a fee. Many ATMs will quote you a an exchange rate (that usually builds in a fee of 2-3%), but you can decline to convert at that exchange rate and instead have your bank do the conversion. It's very easy to verify what you've been charged, though, especially with an ATM withdrawal; you can just check your online statement the next day and see the amount of USD debited, and if there were any other fees charged.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Easy, give it to Greenpeace and have them lose it.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
1. The absolute best exchange rate you can get in essentially any situation short of literally live-trading FX on a hypothetical brokerage platform with no trading costs is by using a debit card with no FX fees at an ATM. Visa/MasterCard require issuers to give you the market exchange rate on cards with no FX fees. Unfortunately, this isn't a good solution for large transfers.

2. Using a bank for foreign exchange can be good, but it can also be a rip off. Do the math as it varies bank-by-bank, and sometimes even branch-by-branch. Some services like xetrade.com, xoom.com, and usforex.com may offer better rates, but are complicated to use. Also keep in mind that FX rates at banks are typically negotiable.

3. Just wanted to see if anyone is in my situation, since it seems that most of the people have gone down the teach abroad route and not Big Corporate. I'm an American expat living in Europe working for a Fortune 500 company. My taxes are done by a Big 4 accounting firm, and I have all sorts of complicated expat benefits in terms of reimbursements, allowances, etc. So far, it has been an unmitigated disaster working with the Big 4 firm and with the relocation services provider to get my benefits set up. Are any of these relocation services companies actually good at what they do?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Pissingintowind posted:

3. Just wanted to see if anyone is in my situation, since it seems that most of the people have gone down the teach abroad route and not Big Corporate. I'm an American expat living in Europe working for a Fortune 500 company. My taxes are done by a Big 4 accounting firm, and I have all sorts of complicated expat benefits in terms of reimbursements, allowances, etc. So far, it has been an unmitigated disaster working with the Big 4 firm and with the relocation services provider to get my benefits set up. Are any of these relocation services companies actually good at what they do?
I'm pretty much in your situation - I work for a US law firm, and I'm currently (just moved) based in London. I have a Big 4 firm do my taxes (they're terrible). My expat bonuses are fairly straightforward though - they get paid in USD along with my salary, so that's not a problem. My benefits are through some kind of global health plan and I haven't quite figured them out yet.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
My host country has a requirement to pay a certain amount of salary for seconded employees in local currency. It's awful, and fucks everything up.

Edit: I can't complain too much because an expat package/compensation is :krad:

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
FBAR questions!

I'm in Canada. In 2014 I set up both a TIFA and RRSP accounts. The RRSP was funded by my spouse (for the tax credit), but in my name. The funds for both accounts came from our joint checking account. What does this mean for FBAR?

I also have an RRP funded by my work, as well as an ESPP. Anything special there?

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 28, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Being an expat is starting to loving suck because of the US' terrible approach to dealing with money laundering and tax evasion. Has anyone found a single US bank willing to provide banking services to expats without a permanent US address? I keep hearing about Charles Schwab's "One International" brokerage account, but since it's not a checking/savings account I'm not sure how its debit/cash card works, and I hear that you need to maintain some reasonable amount of investment activity on the account in order to meet its requirements.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

horse mans posted:

Being an expat is starting to loving suck because of the US' terrible approach to dealing with money laundering and tax evasion. Has anyone found a single US bank willing to provide banking services to expats without a permanent US address?

Have you tried the other direction and looked into any non-US based banks? RBC and TD, which are both based in Canada, also have US operations, so they may be able to help. There's also HSBC, which seems to have operations everywhere.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
HSBC Expat requires an initial deposit of 60,000 pounds. Maybe that's fine for you big spendin goons.

http://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-expat/products/current-accounts/bank-account/eligible

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just something I was curious about : for those of you freelancing abroad, was it pretty straightforward to get out of paying the self-employment tax to the IRS? IRS link

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Bump: US goons, who do you bank with?

I thought USAA was pretty good for reimbursing you for ATM fees, but I'm finding out that their wire transfer fees are not great ($45 a pop, even for domestic), plus it appears I have to call them every time I want to do it. On top of that, it looks like they may have messed up and transferred about half the amount I told them to :argh:

Ideally, I'd be looking for something without any monthly/annual fees, where everything can be done online, and transfer fees are low. Due to the low fees and significantly more favourable rate, I'm using OZforex to do the transfer (they have a bank in the US, actually the same one USAA uses for their wire transfers, so it counts as a domestic wire when I'm sending it abroad).

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
PenFed has the lowest international wire transfer fees that I have found. But it's still like 30 outgoing, I think it's almost impossible to get lower than that with a personal account that doesn't have like a million in it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Sorry, I could have written that a lot more clearly: I found a remittance company that gives a better rate than any of the banks seem to, and they've got an intermediary bank in the US they use to accept transfers, so it'd be domestic transfers I'm looking at rather than international.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Sorry, I could have written that a lot more clearly: I found a remittance company that gives a better rate than any of the banks seem to, and they've got an intermediary bank in the US they use to accept transfers, so it'd be domestic transfers I'm looking at rather than international.

https://www.penfed.org/Wire-Transfer/

quote:

Sending Funds From Your PenFed Account to Another Financial Institution
To wire funds from your PenFed account to another financial institution, please contact a Member Service Representative at 800 247-5626. You will need to provide your account number at the other financial institution as well as their ABA routing number. Keep in mind that PenFed charges $20 for a domestic wire transfer and $30 for an international wire transfer. Other fees may apply at the receiving financial institution.

That's 5 dollars per wire cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Is it worth it to you to ACH money to them to wire it out though..since their ATM usage isn't reimbursed etc

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Throwing this out here in case someone has experience with this:

My girlfriend is quitting her job and moving from Hong Kong to Europe soon. She's currently banking with HSBC. Our plan is to initially just do nothing, and then eventually transfer all her funds to an account here in Europe.

Any holes in that plan? Her salary will obviously stop rolling in, but she'd like to be able to still use her credit and debit cards for a bit (not spending what she doesn't have, obviously.)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
As long as you can close the account from abroad, that should be fine.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
This isn't specifically a finance question, but do any of you (US expats) use a mail forwarding service? I'm moving abroad soon but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile/necessary?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

astr0man posted:

This isn't specifically a finance question, but do any of you (US expats) use a mail forwarding service? I'm moving abroad soon but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile/necessary?

If you have good friends/family that you can have your mail sent to, just do that and then they can let you know if you get anything important. The only things I still get mail for are my US credit cards/banking stuff.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

astr0man posted:

I've done the family route, but not planning on doing it in the future, because regardless of someone's good intentions, it is a nuisance to have to deal with someone else's mail, and I hate bugging people about it.

Also my family is not in FL, and I want to keep my mailing address in FL for tax purposes.

I've looked at some mail forwarding services, and I'm planning on using MyRVmail.com. They can handle your mail however you want, hold/scan/shred/forward.

If you are only moving temporarily overseas, then the family/friends route might make sense.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah this is a permanent/long-term move for and the family route isn't a great option for me

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I use family, but yes, a US credit card/address is still very useful for shopping and something you should keep if possible.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Anyone have any good approaches to paying off U.S. credit cards (and other U.S. bills)? I'm sick of paying fees to wire money from my Canadian bank (CIBC) to my American bank (Wells Fargo). I'd get rid of the U.S. bank account entirely if I could.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Oakland Martini posted:

Anyone have any good approaches to paying off U.S. credit cards (and other U.S. bills)? I'm sick of paying fees to wire money from my Canadian bank (CIBC) to my American bank (Wells Fargo). I'd get rid of the U.S. bank account entirely if I could.

Can you get a credit card in Canada with no foreign transaction fees?

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Probably... you suggest I use that one to pay off the US one somehow? I use the US one occasionally for things that don't allow Canadian cards so I can't stop using it entirely.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Oakland Martini posted:

Have you tried transferwise or currencyfair?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There's only without extra forex fees: the amazon.ca Visa.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So is there no way out of capital gains tax on selling some mutual funds if I live abroad? I could have sworn there was some sort of exclusion, but having a quick look at it again this afternoon that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm doing my Master's abroad and have no other income this year, will probably need to be selling stuff off early next year to pay tuition/living expenses. I know there's an exception for Roth IRA withdrawals to pay educational expenses, but my university isn't one of the ones the federal government recognises as "qualified".

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So is there no way out of capital gains tax on selling some mutual funds if I live abroad? I could have sworn there was some sort of exclusion, but having a quick look at it again this afternoon that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm doing my Master's abroad and have no other income this year, will probably need to be selling stuff off early next year to pay tuition/living expenses. I know there's an exception for Roth IRA withdrawals to pay educational expenses, but my university isn't one of the ones the federal government recognises as "qualified".

With no other income, and with longterm cap gains untaxed at the lowest tax bracket, you would need to be selling a lot of mutual funds with very low cost basis shares to worry about paying substantial taxes. Take a look at how much you are selling and do a mock tax return to see.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

80k posted:

With no other income, and with longterm cap gains untaxed at the lowest tax bracket, you would need to be selling a lot of mutual funds with very low cost basis shares to worry about paying substantial taxes. Take a look at how much you are selling and do a mock tax return to see.

Ahh, that must have been what I found before! So as long as I keep it under $36,900 (top of the 15% bracket) I should be fine? I assume any foreign earned income wouldn't count against that total (gonna start job hunting now that I'm back from visiting my partner overseas), right?

The latter is more of an academic question than anything; I'd be thrilled to be making enough to offset my modest cost of living, and could split the sell-offs between this tax year and next if I needed to.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've spent all afternoon digging around on social security/tax stuff, and figured I might as well share as there appears to be a fair amount of misinformation floating around elsewhere:

If there's a totalization agreement in effect between the US and the country you're living in (seems like a lot of the cool countries have one), it's likely you wouldn't have to pay self-employment taxes on freelance income earned from the US while living there. I was pretty convinced I'd be on the hook for it based on everything I was reading from doofuses on Metafilter, etc, but actually checking the SSA's webpage made it quite clear. Fair warning that this may be related to Australia not mandating superannuation payments for the self-employed, however.

Another cool and good thing I found when reading the totalization agreements is that you can use foreign work history to qualify for US SS benefits, although you probably need at least some legitimate US SS credits earned (in the case of Australia it's 6, which amounts to $1220/each, at a rate of no more than 4 per year). I was having trouble finding specifics on the calculations used, but it sounds like the benefit won't be much in most cases; it's reduced by the percentage of foreign credits used to qualify, and you would averaging in a lot of "zero" values in that 35 year benefit calculator thing as it appears to only concern US-taxed income. Still, it's better than the "nothing' I originally figured I'd be entitled to... I was thinking of going back to the US and working for 2-3 years as a goodwill gesture to my partner, and at least I know now that I wouldn't be totally flushing those SS payments down the toilet in terms of my own retirement (just mostly, sigh).

Not to say that even a very limited payout like that wouldn't be means-testeed away at some point, but still might be worth looking into for some of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So it looks like I'm moving to the Netherlands next year; are there any American --> Netherlands expats hanging around? I'm just confused about a few things regarding taxation and social security basically. For example I'd qualify for the 30% ruling which from what I can tell is a no brainer to accept, but surely there are consequences since no free lunch etc? I would also be paid a salary in euros as well from a non-American company so goodbye 401(k) and I guess the OP says I can't contribute to a Roth IRA if I claim the FEIE. But the OP also suggests that maybe it's better to not claim the FEIE? Because I'm pretty sure income taxes in the Netherlands are way higher than in the US.

• Locked thread