Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Force Choke would probably be my go-to too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
HADOUKEN!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Haha Force Choke.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Force Choke would probably be my go-to too.

"You are the new head of the wrestling team, Captain."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mark Pellegrino is great as bad dudes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh what's that just your standard EVIL EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGIST.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Mark Pellegrino is great as bad dudes.

Yup. I like most of the cast so far though. Robbie Amell is pretty good.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hollis posted:

Oh what's that just your standard EVIL EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGIST.

He's giving me something of a Technocracy feel, to be honest. The whole "use people with crazy powers to keep the other people with crazy powers from causing total chaos" thing.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
That was cool

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Meh, this isn't doing anything for me.
I feel like I've seen it all before.

I might give it another shot if it gets to season 2.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I loved the 90s Nick version. When I was in the hospital in second grade, I had one of my friends tape it for me so I wouldn't miss an episode. However, I barely remember it.

This show seems pretty slick, but pretty fun so far!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Deakul posted:

Meh, this isn't doing anything for me.
I feel like I've seen it all before.

I might give it another shot if it gets to season 2.

I'm not checking out, but I do get the feeling it's been done before. And after the sublime awesomeness of Alphas, it will be tough to get it up to that level. But CW does tend to do genre good, so I'm gonna give it more episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astroman posted:

I'm not checking out, but I do get the feeling it's been done before. And after the sublime awesomeness of Alphas, it will be tough to get it up to that level. But CW does tend to do genre good, so I'm gonna give it more episodes.

It's not really anything like Alphas at all. It's a completely different type of show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait they have a talking super computer from where?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That seems more like something that should have been at the very end of the episode and not with 10 minutes left.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That seems more like something that should have been at the very end of the episode and not with 10 minutes left.

I thought it was the end. I wasn't paying attention to the time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Deadpool posted:

It's not really anything like Alphas at all. It's a completely different type of show.

Yeah, just the whole "evolved people finding powers thing, and one side is rebels and one side is the govt hunting them" is a bit similar. But of course the good guys are the rebels, and their powers are somewhat limited to a few things. And this show has Pelligrino. gently caress, I'd stay just for him. :swoon:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

I hope it leads to the most awkward family dinner.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of odd that he isn't lying about being related.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nature totally makes mistakes lady.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I can say that this pilot has nicely set up everything for the rest of the season. We have our main conflicts, all the pieces lined up, and a pretty interesting twist here at the end!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ok, did not see this happening.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OK, I did NOT see that coming! :dance:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Huh didn't see that one coming.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Yea now I'm pretty interested in where this is going.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Did that twist happen in the original series? Because that is a drat good twist.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Our TVIV telepathy powers are strong though!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well, I've got myself a new two hour block of TV on Wednesdays Amellsdays.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Did that twist happen in the original series? Because that is a drat good twist.

I was only around for the 90s Nickelodeon version and don't even remeber it very well, but I'm fairly certain the answer was "no" for that series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah it's got my interest.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I don't remember the original series much, but the Ultras are definitely new. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Also something that seemed a little odd is that the bad guys base removed their powers but not the inability to kill.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Can't say I was impressed by the premiere but maybe my expectations were too high because I watched it right after Sleepy Hollow. Mark Pellegrino is worth at least three or four episodes so I'll give it that much.

I do like the premise.

edit: posted before finishing the episode. Last five minutes sold me. Good twist.

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Really? Everyone loved this? I did not.

The show had the cliched "I can prove it... oh look I can't and now seem crazy" scene.

I really, really did not get why Amell was so loving pissed off that they didn't tell him that the bad guy was his uncle. For starters, it seems like you were completely unaware that you even HAD an uncle at all, you're not exactly close. Secondly, he introduced himself by putting a bag over Amell's head and preparing to forcibly injecting him with power-destroying serum.

That was a seriously dumb thing for Pellegrino to do as his first move, instead of, say, doing what he did later and just meeting him to talk to him as a long-absent uncle INSTEAD of putting the bag over his head. Trying that might have been a better way to recruit him. I don't get why the hell Amell was so pissed off at the people who tried to rescue him from the power-destroying-serum-injecting uncle and not so much at said uncle.

By the end of the first episode, the lead guy has got Telepathy, Telekinesis, Teleport, and Time Stop, oh, and he can use them inside from the power-sealing prison that blocks everyone else. The rest of the season will be the writers having to contrive ways to have him not be able to use them, because even one on its own is super-useful (see Heroes), but four together, maybe more? The "can't kill for some inexplicable reason" thing just seems bizarre (not like a lot of hero types kill much anyway)

Going to work for his power-destroying uncle was the only really interesting wrinkle... although it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pellegrino didn't care until he saw his power. That's why he didn't open with the offer.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Was really impressed by that. Heard so-so reviews going in, but I thought it was a pretty solid story with some nice stunt work and effects for a CW show. Will be interesting to see if they can keep it up past the pilot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teek posted:

Was really impressed by that. Heard so-so reviews going in, but I thought it was a pretty solid story with some nice stunt work and effects for a CW show. Will be interesting to see if they can keep it up past the pilot.

Between Supernatural, Nikita, and Arrow it should no longer be a surprise that CW shows have good effects and stunt work. I pretty much expected it going in.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's up with CW anyway that was for the longest time kind of a lovely network and now it's got some really drat solid shows on it.

They've definitely found their niche.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollis posted:

What's up with CW anyway that was for the longest time kind of a lovely network and now it's got some really drat solid shows on it.

They've definitely found their niche.

I even think The 100 looks pretty decent. They've figured out how to market genre type shows to people that wouldn't normally watch them and are kind of running with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I even think The 100 looks pretty decent. They've figured out how to market genre type shows to people that wouldn't normally watch them and are kind of running with it.

It's still kind of weird that the network that is apparently designed to appeal mostly to teenage girls has some of the the best genre shows out there.

• Locked thread