Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Non Non Biyori is a slice of life manga adaptation handled by Silver Link (Kokoro Connect, WataMote). It focuses on four of the five students who attend a school way out in the country where all elementary and middle school grades are combined into one classroom. Mundane things happen!

Why should I care?

Because it really does make the most out of its laid-back setting. Even though the first episode is hardly packed with stuff, the script doesn't waste words over explaining jokes and moods. This lets the music and visuals carry the show, and those are solid enough to deliver. There are enough smart jokes and clever things to make it a good half hour of TV, and it just oozes charm. Also, it avoids the most common problems with this kind of show, never letting things get too cloying or creepy, and having the cast be all different grades makes their roles feel more natural.

We're only an episode in, but it was solid enough and I like the approach enough that I'm actually rather excited about watching more!

Charicters

Hotaru Ichijo, fifth-grade transfer student from Tokyo, generally here to be confused.

Renge Miyauchi, first-grader whose general first graderness is behind most of the good gags.

Natsumi Koshigaya and Komari Koshigaya, sisters who are both in middle school, generally there to explain things to the other two. The one on the right is the older one.

Gu, a tanuki.

Streaming?

Watch it on Crunchyroll.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You forgot the best character! :mad:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

Indeed. This nameless boy will be their savior. From what? :shrug:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

Eww, a boy!

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
This show was so nice and relaxed :3: I love slow shows but it's nice to have one that isn't tense as heck.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm getting bad vibes from that tanuki.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
It's also more entertaining than the panda cafe show (Panda Cafe?) which wasn't funny.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Good thing it was only the one new student. The sign isn't big enough to accommodate another.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I loved how the episode started completely absent of any dialog whatsoever for like two minutes excepting the random recorder notes, which turned out to be played by the first-grader girl. Who reminds me of Chiaki from Minami-ke in her default facial expression and voice (although I never watched a whole lot of that show.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The first episode managed to get one really good laugh out of me (the guy stuck in the floor) so I'll give it a shot.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I feel really bad for Nameless Dude. Poor guy has zero friends, and he is being ignored in a school of six students. And he is introduced as just "that guy". The hole he falls into is a metaphorical one.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

It was funny and cute, but I didn't really have any strong reactions to anything up until the loving tanuki. I had to pause the video until I stopped laughing.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Yasaboro just has to show his face in this anime too? I'm guessing these events occurred while on the run from Benten.

I'm getting serious Chiaki vibes too -- and enjoying it!

Are there really schools like this in Japan today? Could be a result of the overall population drop.

So far this show is better than Polar Bear Cafe.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I watch Japanese TV often and there are quite a few shows that focuses on promoting agriculture and living in the countryside. There's one show that sends former famous TV/Sport celebrities to random countrysides where the population is always incredibly low(below 500 and usually much, much less) and they would walk around the village and try get to convince one family to take them in for one night so that they can experience the lifestyle. Non Non Biyori does fine portraying these tiny community and the peaceful scenic atmosphere, some of these school have only 1 classroom and only a handful of children of different grades all together, in some cases the school is closed down because there are no more children and only old people living in the village, which is sad.

Non Non does remind me of Minami-Ke at its best, at least they are portraying the countryside lifestyle accurately.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
What's with all the random comparisons to Polar Bear Cafe? I did not think any goons had even watched that show. Laid back shows like Sketchbook or Aria would be a better comparison. Tamayura too I suppose, but that show put me to sleep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

grrarg posted:

What's with all the random comparisons to Polar Bear Cafe? I did not think any goons had even watched that show.
I did, but didn't really feel much drive to talk about it here, and I remember a couple others airing similar thoughts. Some shows just don't lend themselves to discussion much.

I wonder if the term I saw translated in the subtitles as "the country" carries a meaning closer to "the sticks" or "the boonies."

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

I wonder if the term I saw translated in the subtitles as "the country" carries a meaning closer to "the sticks" or "the boonies."

"The sticks" is actually one of the definitions given by wwwjdic for the word they used (inaka), so yeah, it probably has those kinds of connotations.

And I can't believe no-one's posted a gif of Gu's amazing trick, yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I don't recall them using anything but "inaka", which is the common, neutral word. (I'm not even sure if Japanese has a diminutive word for the countryside.)

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Rexides posted:

I feel really bad for Nameless Dude. Poor guy has zero friends, and he is being ignored in a school of six students. And he is introduced as just "that guy". The hole he falls into is a metaphorical one.
He doesn't even have a voice actor.

nielsm posted:

I don't recall them using anything but "inaka", which is the common, neutral word. (I'm not even sure if Japanese has a diminutive word for the countryside.)
"Inaka" can have negative connotations as "inakamono" can be considered a insult in some circumstances where it would basically mean bumpkin.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
All my hopes and dreams have been crushed now that our nameless savior has been named.

e: This show is just amazing. The subdued comedy is great.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 14, 2013

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

This show manages to sum up my feelings pretty well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

All my hopes and dreams have been crushed now that our nameless savior has been named.

Still no lines though, and that's all that matters.

The second episode is more conventional than the first, with less pretty countryside set to music and more actual jokes. To be honest, I kind of wanted more of the just pretty stuff, as it's what makes the show so unique. Still, I really shouldn't complain, there is so much that's good here. The teacher is perfect for this show, and makes up for a lack of Renge by being grown up, cynical Renge. The second half where they go to the candy store has a nice flowing quality, and becomes a little horrifying when you realize that she just walked off with someone who she thought was a stranger.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Asumi Kana.

Exactly the same line, exactly the same voice, just a different name :3:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

The second half where they go to the candy store becomes a little horrifying when you realize that she just walked off with someone who she thought was a stranger.

Especially when you remember that the line about not going anywhere with strangers was something she made up because she didn't want to ditch Hotaru.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Episode two is still super relaxed and pretty funny. I just hope they don't lean too hard on Hotaru's crush on Koma.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Episode two is still super relaxed and pretty funny. I just hope they don't lean too hard on Hotaru's crush on Koma.

Manga spoilers a bit on that: From what I remember, it pops up a lot, but very rarely as the main focus. After the candy store thing there's really only one major instance that immediately comes to mind where it's prominent, and in that case it's more of a setup for other jokes. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

becomes a little horrifying when you realize that she just walked off with someone who she thought was a stranger.
She in grade 8 so "stranger danger" isn't really a problem for her. Her saying that was something that made her appear as a little kid (even though she was the older one) and was part of the running joke of that part.
Also, it's pretty funny that at her age her mother and younger sister tell her to not go with strangers.

nielsm posted:

Asumi Kana.

Exactly the same line, exactly the same voice, just a different name :3:
I personally thought of Popura from Working! where she constantly says "Don't call me small" in the same tone as well.
Also, Asumi Kana is pretty tall in person (relative to other Japanese women) which you don't expect from all the short character roles she voices.

StandardVC10 posted:

I personally find it hilarious how infatuated she is to the point where it's creepy (in an innocent way).

That love sure is heavy.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 15, 2013

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I think Hotaru is coming close to KlK's Mako for best character this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zettace posted:

She in grade 8 so "stranger danger" isn't really a problem for her. Her saying that was something that made her appear as a little kid (even though she was the older one) and was part of the running joke of that part.
Also, it's pretty funny that at her age her mother and younger sister tell her to not go with strangers.

I personally thought of Popura from Working! where she constantly says "Don't call me small" in the same tone as well.
Also, Asumi Kana is pretty tall in person (relative to other Japanese women) which you don't expect from all the short character roles she voices.

I personally find it hilarious how infatuated she is to the point where it's creepy (in an innocent way).

That love sure is heavy.
The weird thing is, I can also hear Nyaruko in her voice too. And her futaba ahoge reminded me a Nyaruko's

Other VA notes: Renge is voiced by Kotori Koiwai who was Utsutsu from CROWDS and Kigu from Joshiraku. Natsumi was voiced by Ayane Sakura who was also in Joshiraku as Mari, Kaisei in Uchoten Kazoku, Eno from Love Lab and Ayane Isshiki from Vividred Operation. Finally, Rie Murakawa who voices Hotaru was also in Vividred as Aoi Futaba.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
This anime :allears: I don't know where this show is going to go, but even if the rest of the season is meddling, but I don't care because this anime has already made it's mark with that amazing first episode. So laid back! So much charm! Seeing this right after Kill La Kill is a trip. Definitely keeping up with this one for the season.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

New episode. This really is the best boring anime. I like where the teacher character seems to be going.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I wouldn't call this a boring anime anymore, most of the episode was hilarious.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I always get a bit depressed when they pick up the sign at the end because I just want it to keep on going...

This really is the best boring show. The cuteness of Kiniro Mosaic and the quality of a top tier show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was basically perfect. Just so many jokes that wouldn't have worked if the show wasn't so low key and dry. Turning your mute brother into a scarecrow on a whim is amusing. Turning your brother into a scarecrow and then saying "I thought that would be funnier" as he just lies there doing nothing is amazing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Wow, I'm really glad I picked this up. It's really low key and relaxing while still having some great jokes like the slow camera zoom out revealing the older brother stuck in the floor, the scare-crow bit in the latest episode and the "Today we are teaching you about hard work!" *rides around on automatic rice planter humming happily* gag.

I'd really missed this sort of thing since the last season of Hidamari Sketch ended. :unsmith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Excellent performance. This show perfectly conveyed the feeling and emotion of getting hit by the pillow's zipper.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This is the funniest show since Highschool Boys or Nichijou, whichever was more recent. It's great.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

That was basically perfect. Just so many jokes that wouldn't have worked if the show wasn't so low key and dry. Turning your mute brother into a scarecrow on a whim is amusing. Turning your brother into a scarecrow and then saying "I thought that would be funnier" as he just lies there doing nothing is amazing.

At first I thought that this guy was holding up quite well considering how he doesn't seem to have any friends and all the other kids his age are completely ignoring him, but this scene made me realize that he has just given up on everything and just accepts whatever is happening to him with no resistance whatsoever.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I see him more as some kind of zen master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He is a silent bodhisattva, leading the girls to enlightenment by example.

• Locked thread