Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Update in the next day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Fourteen: Visit Historic Germany!

Muthafucking Road Trip time!

So here are our options. Well, not much point in driving to Rittersberg, so let’s just do the Left-to-Right thing.

Gorgeous and very real. HISTORY TIME!
Neuschwanstein Castle was one of the castles that Ludwig built out of his intense fanboyism for Wagner. Over a million people visit annually, it’s been used in several movies such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and was used as the basis for Sleeping Beauty’s Castle in Disneyland. The Nazis considered blowing it up during WW2 under the “If we can’t have it, NO ONE WILL!!!” rule of villainy.

Anyway, let’s talk to this fellow! Oh. We can’t. So instead, let’s check out that mural.

Grace has no idea what’s going on. Maybe this “Tour Tape” option will shed some light? Actually, yes. It says simply that the paintings in this room are from the “Siegfried Saga”, also known as the Nibelungenlied, which is about a dragonslayer.

I have never read it, but it looks interesting at least. (Oh, and you better believe that Wagner made an adaptation of it.) Next room.

According to our Tour Tape, the master bedroom here was decorated with Tristan and Isolde as an inspiration.

Seriously, Ludwig needed a different hobby than stalking the poo poo out of Wagner. Next room.

Lohengrin this time. The tour says that before he “went batshit crazy” Ludwig had started to ban his servants from looking at him. Grace wonders what he was afraid they’d see.

The tape says that this mural is titled “The Miracle of the Grail”. That does not look like the cup of a carpenter to me. :colbert: Deeper in the room.

More goddamn swans. Can’t really check anything else out here, what’s through that door?

:stare: The gently caress? According to the tape, this is a reproduction of “The Grotto” from the Tannhauser Saga. :doh: Of course it is. Also, apparently Ludwig’s will ordered the destruction of the castles upon his death. Okaaaay, that’s a little odd. There’s a door on the other side.

Let me guess, more Wagner-inspired art? Yeah, more Tannhauser stuff.

So, this was Ludwig’s study where he would plan his next masturbatory fantasy over Wagner, and occasionally do actual, you know, King stuff. Also, the tape says he was studying the occult before he died.

Going to have to figure out how to pillage that desk without a guard seeing. Next:

The Singers’ Hall, where Wagner would perform for Ludwig personally. It originally had paintings from Parsifal…but now it has a giant painting of a loving WOLF.

And another one.

And another.

Dude had wolves on the brain. There’s one other room we could check out at the moment…

Ludwig’s private chapel.

And there is this door in the main hall, but we can’t use it at the moment. According to our tape, Ludwig was on his way to this door which leads to the tower when he was arrested. Okay, weird. And for the record, while 99% of the paintings shown here are accurate to the actual contents of the castle, anything with a wolf is bullshit. Well, on to our next stop, Herrenchiemsee Museum!

Nice enough.

GAHH! HOW HORRID!!! Partially because even though I don’t speak any German, I can somehow tell this woman is a total oval office as Grace buys her ticket. Well, there’s a fancy painting on the wall, let’s take a look.

I have no idea who this is, but there’s a plaque.

“The Eagle”, huh? Well, what else we got? Well, there’s a series of displays talking about his last days…

They…cut out his heart? Is that a werewolf thing? In the back of the room…

The sleigh from Grace’s nightmare. With a plaque!

That…doesn’t really clear anything up. Grace considers talking to the Smiths again, which personally, I see as a sign of PENDING MADNESS, but what do I know?

So Grace explains the dream and seeing the painting of the sleight, and they essentially respond with “We dunno.” Mrs Smith does admit that she’s been trying to “contact Ludwig’s spirit”, but has been unsuccessful due to a “wall of despair” she keeps running up against.

That’s all I got for this one, so NEXT TIME let’s see if we can’t figure something out here.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 27, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Museum castle tour! :neckbeard:

Seriously, this section was the part of the game that won me over to genuinely liking it, despite the knocking-cuckoo clock nonsense. There's just something about being in the middle of an occult mystery investigation, then dropping everything to tour a significant museum. If only there'd been a gift shop with wolf shirts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ensign_Ricky posted:

They…cut out his heart? Is that a werewolf thing? In the back of the room…

Nope! It was a Bavarian tradition to store urns with hearts of their kings in a dedicated chapel.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Nope! It was a Bavarian tradition to store urns with hearts of their kings in a dedicated chapel.

The Habsburgs did it too:

Plus, their intestines are kept preserved in jars in a vault under the Stefansdom in Wien.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Museum castle tour! :neckbeard:

Seriously, this section was the part of the game that won me over to genuinely liking it, despite the knocking-cuckoo clock nonsense. There's just something about being in the middle of an occult mystery investigation, then dropping everything to tour a significant museum. If only there'd been a gift shop with wolf shirts.

It kind of annoyed me. I kept missing a few hotspots and would have to click through all the tape tour spots again to find it.

Looks like you accidentally repeated the img code for the lady's portrait at the second museum, Ricky.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Ricky: I'm guessing you missed a hallway at the museum (not the castle), there's two of them leading from reception.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

whitehelm posted:

Ricky: I'm guessing you missed a hallway at the museum (not the castle), there's two of them leading from reception.

Actually, I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

davidspackage posted:

It kind of annoyed me. I kept missing a few hotspots and would have to click through all the tape tour spots again to find it.

Looks like you accidentally repeated the img code for the lady's portrait at the second museum, Ricky.

Ah, fuckbeans. Fixed.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually, I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

You sure? Try right here. You were able to get to the hall to the right because you saw that sleigh painting, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't go to the left (besides not knowing that's where the other hall is).

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 28, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

whitehelm posted:

You sure? Try right here. You were able to get to the hall to the right because you saw that sleigh painting, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't go to the left (besides not knowing that's where the other hall is).

Well, I'll fiddle with it when I do the next update.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Sorry for the delays again, my PC is overheating semi-regularly now, so it's getting hard to do an update. (Seriously, I was updating my loving blog and the whole thing shut down on me.) It will come, please be patient.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ha - I was watching X-Files, and who did I see but our old friend Werner Huber! Thanks for reading, I'll be on my way.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Fifteen: See the Loveli Lakes

Ok, I seem to have at least temporarily fixed the overheating issue and we can try to press on. I’m hoping to have a new laptop in the next couple weeks so we can avoid these delays….especially since I’m planning a VLP after we finish the Gabriel Knight Saga. More on that another time. Let’s start!

First of all, you were right, whitehelm. Don’t know how I missed this area. Let’s check it out.

Sounds interesting, let’s check this poo poo out.

So, he was completely cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Good to know.

I have no idea.

Yeah, well, BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

I am completely lost now, and so is Grace, because she’s complaining that she needs to see more of the diary.

Next up, we’ve got more evidence of Ludwig’s creepy fanboyism. Dude needed to get laid.

Shinies!

Okay. Good to know.

Nice painting.

Okay, who wants to take bets that the Knights of St. George just happen to be affiliated with the Schattenjagers? Grace agrees, saying there has to be some sort of connection. Against the other wall…

Grace states she has to see the diary. No, honey, don’t break into the royal archives…Anyway, talking to the Museum Troll points Grace towards a Wagner museum we can check out, but if ask to see Ludwig’s diary, the lady flips right the gently caress out. Ok, chill out crazy lady, we’ll go check out some Wagner.

According to the curator, Georg, the museum is typically closed this time of year, but after expressing some frustration, he consents to allowing Grace to looking around a few areas.

Nice looking joint. Piano first I guess.

Ssseven days….. Ahem, let’s take a look at those busts.

Huh, so he was a neckbeard. Go figure. I’m going to skip some of the stuff that doesn’t seem important, until we reach…

Of course there’s a Ludwig room. Complete with some of his letters.

Interesting…well, maybe Georg has something to contribute? Oh yes. Kind of. He’s not a great font of information, but he does state that a)The figures mentioned in the Wagner->Ludwig letter probably have to do with Neuschwanstein, and b)If there is a Lost Opera by Wagner, it may have something to do with the Wolf Panels at same. Also, Georg has a suspicious brother who I suspect may be Von Zell, and Grace flirts with him a bit.

But we still don’t know enough about Neuschwanstein to figure out the puzzles. Luckily, a return to Schloss Ritter has Grace and Gerde being positively chummy, and Gerde says that Grace’s professor called.

He forks over the name and number for a local expert.

Shall we call him?

He tells Grace that he has something to show her, and she asks about the Black Wolf. He says he knows nothing about it, but will look into it before they meet.

Turns out Mr. Dallmier wanted to show her where the corpse of Ludwig was found. Moving on, he flat out says there’s virtually no chance of seeing Ludwig’s diary, except a biographer named Richmond Chapel, who had friends in high places.

Dallmier gives some more history, saying that Ludwig was manipulated by Chancellor Bismarck into having Bavaria join the rest of Germany/Prussia. Also, those midnight sleigh rides would involve Ludwig sometimes stopping, ordering the servants to say put, and go wandering off for hours.

And we finally get an ID on the Black Wolf: Paul Goedden (Not sure of the spelling, but I’m pretty sure that’s it). He came from another country, but claimed German ancestry and allied himself with Bismarck…who gave Goedden a royal title and lands in 1863. Goedden then promptly changed his name, meaning all record of him disappeared.

GEE I WONDER WHO HE COULD BE?!?!? At any rate, Dallmier tells Grace that there would be a ton of red tape to go through to find out Goedden’s new name. And then we get details on Ludwig’s hunting accident: HE WAS BITTEN BY A WOLF.

NEXT TIME: Raiders of the Lost Opera!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The scene by the water with Dalmeier seems like it belongs in an 80s music video. I blame the perm mullet and the raincoats.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

davidspackage posted:

The scene by the water with Dalmeier seems like it belongs in an 80s music video. I blame the perm mullet and the raincoats.

Yeah, I kind of expected A-Ha to jump out of the bushes.

Taaaaake on meeee.....

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are you missing certain implications about Ludwig's character, or do you consider them insignificant?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Wow, you get updates up quick. I saw this LP however many months ago and figured there'd be no way you'd be at GK2 by now, since that's my favourite game of the series and the one flamedrake didn't finish. Time to motor through.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

quote:

And we finally get an ID on the Black Wolf: Paul Goedden (Not sure of the spelling, but I’m pretty sure that’s it). He came from another country, but claimed German ancestry and allied himself with Bismarck…who gave Goedden a royal title and lands in 1863. Goedden then promptly changed his name, meaning all record of him disappeared.

Okay...lemme get this straight. He gets a TITLE and LAND, and then he just disappears from the record books when he CHANGES HIS NAME.

Isn't that fraud? Tell me that's some sort of fraud. I know the statute of limitations might have expired, but it seriously means Bismarck's men were pretty bad when it came to keeping track of everyone in its court.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

Are you missing certain implications about Ludwig's character, or do you consider them insignificant?

Are you talking about the implications that he was a self-hating homosexual? Well, they're spelled out in the cutscenes, so I really didn't feel the need to go into them.

Cangelosi posted:

Okay...lemme get this straight. He gets a TITLE and LAND, and then he just disappears from the record books when he CHANGES HIS NAME.

Isn't that fraud? Tell me that's some sort of fraud. I know the statute of limitations might have expired, but it seriously means Bismarck's men were pretty bad when it came to keeping track of everyone in its court.

Apparently, this was not uncommon back in the day. Yeah, today it's weird and kinda borderline legal, but close to 200 years ago? Guess it happened all the time.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011
GK2 is one of my favourite games from the whole FMV craze of the late 90's. The actors are OK and I like the plot quite a bit. So it's great to see this LP. Thanks Engsin_Ricky!

Just a little information for the latest update: The chapel you can see in the latest video is a votive chapel. Construction began in 1896 by Luitpold, Prince regent of Bavaria in remembrance of the 10th anniversary of Ludwigs death. 1900 it was finished. It is open for public and many people come to visit it every year. Some conspiracy theorists suspect that the chapel is a gift from the murderes in order to abolish their sins. But that's just talk.

What you can't see in the game is the gorgeous landscape behind the memorial chapel. Like the name "Berg" (mountain) suggests it's no easy walking but there are these huge old trees rising into the sky. It looks great.

If you have the opportunity you should try to see the chapel at least.

After this little tourism ad I'll wait eagerly for the next update.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AkaiNami posted:

GK2 is one of my favourite games from the whole FMV craze of the late 90's. The actors are OK and I like the plot quite a bit. So it's great to see this LP. Thanks Engsin_Ricky!

Just a little information for the latest update: The chapel you can see in the latest video is a votive chapel. Construction began in 1896 by Luitpold, Prince regent of Bavaria in remembrance of the 10th anniversary of Ludwigs death. 1900 it was finished. It is open for public and many people come to visit it every year. Some conspiracy theorists suspect that the chapel is a gift from the murderes in order to abolish their sins. But that's just talk.

What you can't see in the game is the gorgeous landscape behind the memorial chapel. Like the name "Berg" (mountain) suggests it's no easy walking but there are these huge old trees rising into the sky. It looks great.

If you have the opportunity you should try to see the chapel at least.

After this little tourism ad I'll wait eagerly for the next update.

I'd really like to visit some of the locations seen in this game some day. Same with the third game. Even though it would probably feel really nerdy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

davidspackage posted:

I'd really like to visit some of the locations seen in this game some day. Same with the third game. Even though it would probably feel really nerdy.

Tangentially related, this guy made few videos showing GK2 locations IRL, incl. "Schloss Ritter" and its interiors:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IPKISS4LIFE?feature=watch

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Saurus posted:

Wow, you get updates up quick. I saw this LP however many months ago and figured there'd be no way you'd be at GK2 by now, since that's my favourite game of the series and the one flamedrake didn't finish. Time to motor through.

Well, I hope you enjoy it. Next update will be in a few days. Work sucks.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, continuing my work in preserving my let's plays, PHANTASMAGORRRRRIA!!!! has been added to my blog.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Sixteen: Raiders of the Lost Opera!
Okay, so it’s pretty loving clear now we need to track down this Wagner opera. But I’m stuck….so I had to check the walkthrough. Sorry folks, I missed some stuff at the Ludwig Museum.

Ludwig’s personal notes, huh?

Ok, dude was nuttier’n a fruitcake.

Uh huh. And we also missed one particular letter regarding Ludwig’s cousin to a Bishop regarding his last wishes:

Grace angrily mutters about wanting to know what those last wishes were, and that’s pretty much all she wrote for the Ludwig museum. And again I get stuck. gently caress fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress. Ok, well the next big clue I feel like a loving jackass for missing. That Ludwig biography Grace is packing around?

The author’s the guy who got access to Ludwig’s diaries. So I guess we need to call the publisher now.

(Notice that Grace is reading the number from like halfway through the book. :doh: ) Well it turns out that Chapel’s dead, but he’s got a son, and the publisher gives Grace his number. Ok, next call!

Turns out that Chaphill made an English translation, but the son won’t release it. Well poo poo. And AGAIN I can’t figure out my next move. gently caress this chapter! I hang my head in shame. So get this:

We have to find these lillies next to the church in Rittersberg, the priest comes by and gives one to Grace. We THEN have to go back to Ludwig’s cross, and set the lily in the water.

Grace gives a weird mental prayer for more information and…

GAHHH! Well, back to Schloss Ritter I suppose. On a hunch, I talk to Gerde.

Who is still upsettingly pleasant now. I kinda preferred the cattiness between them. However, Gerde has an idea on how to get a research permit: Write Ubergrau.

Well, Grace writes to Gabriel and includes a note for Harry about getting a research permit so she can get her hands on the diaries. And after mailing the letter…

It turns out that Chaphill had a change of heart and faxed the entire translation to Grace. I dunno, I smell a rat in this.

So I’ll spare you all the reading via screenshots, because I recorded the whole thing. Basically it seems that after he contracted lycanthropy, Ludwig was at a Wagner concert and something about the music almost triggered his change, so he spoke privately to Wagner about the problem. Wagner somehow devised a cure for lycanthropy involving the lost opera and a series of crystals…however, Wagner died before they could actually do it. So seeing as that the diaries make it pretty clear that there *was* a lost opera, and Grace *did* promise the cute German guy at the Wagner museum to speak to him if she found evidence, I suppose we better go there.

Ol’ Georg is loving stunned that Grace got her hands on the diaries.

He produces a diary of…well, it’s not Wagner, it’s either a close relative or servant, he doesn’t say which. At any rate it coincides perfectly with Ludwig’s.

The main point is that on his deathbe-er, deathcouch, Wagner made whoever wrote the diary send a package to the King, which doubtlessly contains the fabled opera.

And the chapter comes to a close.

NEXT TIME: Gabriel’s Hunting Trip! (I presume.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't really want to give anything away, but I fear you've misinterpreted something that will probably cause you a great deal of confusion later on if you don't come to understand it before you get there, and I remember the game more or less assuming that you understand things that it doesn't explain fully, so without referencing anything we're not supposed to know yet or just coming out and telling you what I think you've missed, you may want to consider this:

There's only been one cure for lycanthropy mentioned in the game, and you should already know what it is. Ludwig's diary says nothing about a cure as such, but his "salvation". Have another read of his diary with that in mind.

If you don't want to see it, I'll happily edit the post to remove it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason I'm really fond of Georg. These games (barring the third) have a gift for creating interesting secondary or tertiary NPCs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nidoking posted:

I don't really want to give anything away, but I fear you've misinterpreted something that will probably cause you a great deal of confusion later on if you don't come to understand it before you get there, and I remember the game more or less assuming that you understand things that it doesn't explain fully, so without referencing anything we're not supposed to know yet or just coming out and telling you what I think you've missed, you may want to consider this:

I'm unsure what you mean, because I thought Ricky was on the money with his interpretation so far (and I've played the game, to clarify). Could be I've misinterpreted the story the same way all this time, but I guess I'll find out when we get to that part.

VV edit: I do, and I think I get what you guys are talking about now, but probably best to wait with talking about that until the last chapter.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 16, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I'm unsure what you mean, because I thought Ricky was on the money with his interpretation so far (and I've played the game, to clarify). Could be I've misinterpreted the story the same way all this time, but I guess I'll find out when we get to that part.
Remember how the opera goes?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

No spoiler tags, no nothing. That's real sensitive of you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nidoking posted:

No spoiler tags, no nothing. That's real sensitive of you.
Mostly because that's not a spoiler and means absolutely nothing to people who haven't played the game?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, I remember that drat lily part having me so freaking stuck. This was back in the frontier days of the internet when Gamefaqs didn't exist so you had to search out your walkthroughs, and I resisted for so long before relenting and finding out I had to do that. Seriously, I was stuck on that part for a week. There is like NO suggestion that you're supposed to throw the lily in the water. None.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Yeah, I know using a walkthrough in a Let's Play is generally frowned upon, but the only hint I could find regarding the lily was after the fact when the Journal mentions the oath taken by the lily. Whatever that means.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think you're supposed to click "Hint" to see where you need to go (which is useless until near the end of each chapter anyway) and then just look at everything in the game every time you do something - the joy of FMV games is that there's usually not much territory to cover.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think using a walkthrough in making an adventure game LP is a problem at all - reading an LP is basically the same as reading a walkthrough as far as audience is concerned, and nobody sees behind the scenes to criticize the process.

Karupin
Feb 27, 2007

...and that whoever has this crystal ball gets the power to unite the world... Eh? I was tricked? Really!?
Chapter 4 was notorious for a glitch. Laying the lily on the water is supposed to trigger the fax at the post office, and that didn't happen in plenty of games. This included ones that downloaded the patch. My copy was fine, but I hung around the old AOL Sierra boards back then, and it ruined plenty of games.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So last night I decided to watch the Seminal Full Moon Classic Blood Dolls finally, and guess who's got a major role in the film? Why it's Nicholas Worth, better known to us as Kommisarr Lieber! It may please you all to know that he's just as good at yelling irrationally in English as he is in German!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
And apologies for the delay again, my work schedule is all kinds of hosed up at the moment. This LP will not die!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
SUPER MEGA HAPPY FUN-TIME UPDATE coming in the next day or two, promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Seventeen: Eskimo Brothers!

Onward with Gabriel!!

So Gabriel’s just hanging with Von Glower and is telling him a little about Grace, when in walks…

I believe her name is Greta, and she wastes no time at all in just grinding all over Von Glower. Gabriel offers to leave, so Von Glower whispers in her ear and…

No, Gabriel, don't...you don't know where that's been. Like Von Zell.:stonk: Actually, maybe this is just my Pacific Northwest sensibilities, but this is kinda hosed up.

Gabriel tries to decline, but Von Glower says something about Gabriel “living like a monk in that castle down south.”

Gabriel just told the obvious villain where he lives. Bravo.

I never want to see Not-Tim Curry’s post-coital glow again thanks very much. He drifts off and…

Uh…well, Von Glower inspects the Schattenjager Talisman (which looks like it’s the size of a dinner plate, that thing can not be comfortable to sleep with), and then…

:stare: Well, now I think we know why Von Glower’s been so interested in him. Come morning (no pun intended)

We have a little note from the good Baron, and we head to the map screen. And as an aside, WHO THE gently caress WRITES A NOTE LIKE THAT IN FULL CALLIGRAPHY?!? Well, I think we should go to Lochham first and check the news…but Gabriel disagrees. Okay, then we better get our mail. To Ubergrau!

He hands over the letter, and Gabriel won’t talk to him about anything else until he gets the tape recorder back from the club. Well, we should still read the thing first I think.

Except that Gabriel thinks that Grace is full of poo poo because he’s a loving moron. Ah well, let’s go get his loving tape player.

At the door, weasel-boy warns Gabriel that he should be on time or the hunting party will leave without him. Gabriel shrugs it off.

Once there, despite the lack of ANYONE ELSE IN THE loving ROOM, Gabriel goes through a whole song and dance to sneak his recorder back out of the magazine and into his jacket. :bang: And then my game crashes because the fates are against me finishing this LP. Seriously, just out of nowhere. So after replaying that whole sequence, and seeing as Von Zell and Preiss were likely speaking German, I think our best course of action is to return to Ubergrau.

So Gabriel plays the tape, and you just need to watch the video. Bottom line is that Von Zell is getting worried about Gabriel getting too close.

Gabriel then asks about the missing persons cases, and Harry pulls out a file that shows that in 1960-1969 there were only about 2 cases per year…but the number skyrockets up following 1970, peaking at around 17 for 1991. drat.
Well, there’s nothing else to do with Harry, so what to do, what to do….saaaaay, know who we haven’t heard from in a while?

Awww yeah! :dance: Leber wastes no time in starting to shout, especially when Gabriel asks to see Herr Grossberg’s ledgers.

He absolutely refuses unless Gabriel can prove that Grossberg was more than just a random victim.

So, smug as all hell, Gabriel plays the tape for him.

Leber doesn’t take it well. Gabriel cuts off his angry tirade, and says in exchange for a look at the ledgers, he’ll give information. So Leber calls them in and leaves the office to collect himself, but not before threatening Gabriel with German prison before he leaves.

So Gabriel, being Gabriel, steals evidence. Leber returns, and demands to know how Gabriel got the tape. Gabriel admits that Kingmann, Preiss, and Von Zell all attend the same gentlemen’s club, which is near where the body was found. Leber thanks him and says they’ll put the club under surveillance. Gabriel doesn’t want that because that’ll get in the way of all his Schattenjagering, so he tells Leber that the club is called “The Happy Wanderer” near the University. Afterwards, we have a new locale to visit, Herr Langstrasse and his exotic import/export business.

Except he’s not really the talkative sort. Apparently Grossberg owed this fellow around 14 grand, and he refuses to talk until he gets his motherfucking money. And of course Gabriel isn’t just walking around with that in his pocket. Or his suitcase. Or his castle.

NEXT TIME: The Quest For Cash!

• Locked thread