Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The last two videos are private.

Also: Harry, you are such a kidder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

The last two videos are private.

Also: Harry, you are such a kidder!

I have no idea how that happened. Fixed now, though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What would Dean Erickson do to generate ~$14k?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Darthemed posted:

What would Dean Erickson do to generate ~$14k?

Open a hot dog stand in Alabama?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I have no idea how that happened. Fixed now, though.
I'm just going to assume there were a bunch of updates that were all accidentally tagged as private.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

And so, Gabriel was eaten by weeeeeeerewolves. Just in time to miss the remake of his original debut, at that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's a shame, he was a funny guy. Well, at least Grace gotta hang out in a museum.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, I'd like to apologize for the MASSIVE loving DELAY in updating this, I have no excuse beyond the fact that I got a new laptop which I've been pretty much constantly been playing SWTOR on. Now, quick question. Does anyone know what the save files for GK2 from GoG look like, so I can transfer them from my old PC to the new so I don't have to start over in order to get back where we were?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Eighteen: Bad Kitty!

I’m ba-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
So in the process of double checking what the gently caress I was up to last, I discovered that I had a hankering for some Weisswurst.

We have gained some white sausage! And seeing as I’m in the neighborhood already, maybe Harry will spot Gabe 14 grand?

Harry thinks Gabe’s out of his goddamn mind to be carrying around that kind of money in Munich. Harry asks if he wants to make out a will while he waits.

“Why don’t I just leave everything to you?”
“I wish you would leave everything to me.”

Gee, Harry, that’s not loving creepy. Back to Dorn!

And he’s just the same ray of sunshine as we last saw.

Dude, I just gave you 14 grand. In cash. Crack a loving smile already. Dorn invites Gabe inside.

There, Dorn pockets his money and we find out that Grossberg had his hand in animal smuggling. And skinning. gently caress that guy. Dorn then promises Gabe that he can get any animal into the country for him.

“What about a Hippopotamus?”

Heh. Ok, that was pretty good. Gabe asks about the one export Grossberg did. Dorn acknowledges that it was a strange order, but he got the pair shipped off to Taiwan. Probably to a restaurant. Gabe, playing a hunch asks if there’s much call for wolf-meat there. Dorn says that “those people” will eat anything. Gabe asks to see the cage, and Dorn obliges…

But forgets to warn Gabe about the new tenant. rear end in a top hat. Gabe sees something in the straw, but would rather not lose an arm.

So we give the nice kitty our weisswurst, allowing us to grab the item in the hay.

I’m glad Grossberg’s dead. I really am. Yeah, those are the “escaped wolves”. So logically, someone at the Lodge, probably Klingmann, stole the wolves out, had Von Zell or whoever contact Grossberg and arrange the sale out of the country, and the police search for escaped wolves that are now being eaten somewhere in southeast Asia.

I’m gonna enjoy nailing these lycanthropic motherfuckers to the wall. And now we ride the plot railroad as the game won’t allow us to go anywhere but Marienplatz. Because Gabe is an idiot in this game. In fact the plot train rides us straight to the Lodge.

Once there, the gang’s packing up for their trip. Gabe explains that he doesn’t have his hunting gear with him, but Von Glower says that they’ll hook him up once they’re out there.

On the way out, Klingmann is acting all twitchy, glancing around at everything. Weird.

Nice place.

Von Glower sends everyone to their rooms…except…

Hennemann and Preiss, who are now sharing Preiss’s room, as Gabriel gets Hennemann’s.

Hennemann is outraged, while Preiss seems to take a perverse smugness in the situation. I like Preiss. Too bad he’s probably one of these werewolf fucks and is gonna get a faceful of silver in his near future.

Hennemann has some comfy digs. There’s nothing in that armoire though, and across the room.

A tree. Possibly a larch. We can look out the window and down to see

A small ledge. Gabe wishes it were a bit larger.

Gonna stop there for now, but I should have another update soon. I am BACK, baby!

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
Welcome back, Ens. Ricky -- I love the Gabriel Knight games, so I'm really glad you resumed the LP! But it seems the second video in the new update is set to private, like some of the previous ones had been. Could you please unlock it?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Integral Catculus posted:

Welcome back, Ens. Ricky -- I love the Gabriel Knight games, so I'm really glad you resumed the LP! But it seems the second video in the new update is set to private, like some of the previous ones had been. Could you please unlock it?

GodDAMN it! :argh:

Should be fixed now.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Welcome back!
I'm not sure which one of the characters was Grossberg anymore (gonna skim through the older updates to refresh my memory) but I'm sure I hate the bastard :argh:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

CHiRAL posted:

Welcome back!
I'm not sure which one of the characters was Grossberg anymore (gonna skim through the older updates to refresh my memory) but I'm sure I hate the bastard :argh:

If I recall correctly, we never actually met Grossberg - we saw the name and phone number on the board at the police station and looked into it from there.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yay! More werewolf lunacy! Presumably the hunting kit we're going to get set up with is a flashy new pair of sneakers and a five-minute head-start? :)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

And we're back. Cool!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Nidoking posted:

If I recall correctly, we never actually met Grossberg - we saw the name and phone number on the board at the police station and looked into it from there.

Grossberg was the victim just outside the Club.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm so freaking smug right now. :)

(It would be a shame to abandon this just before the climax)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

I'm so freaking smug right now. :)

(It would be a shame to abandon this just before the climax)

To be honest, I've been feeling rather guilty about not finishing this. My goal is to get this done in the next 2 to 3 weeks, so we can finish GK3 before the end of summer.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Nineteen: Metal Gear Gabriel

So we left Gabriel in his rather spartan room in the hunting lodge. I however refuse to be constrained, and I think it’s time to do some loving exploring!

“Hey.”

Von Zell has no time for your bullshit! :argh: Well, we’ll start with the room across from Gabe’s and work our way to the front of the screen I guess.

At least Gabriel’s polite enough to knock before breaking into a room.

Ok, who does this one belong to, I wonder. Preiss. Well, let’s check the dresser.

Clear as mud. We have a goddamned bullwhip, some rope, and some random clothes.

Gabriel, honey, there’s no werewolves under the bed, I promise.

Oh, he’s actually providing the turn-down service I guess. Checking the bathroom has Gabriel say “Herr Preiss is probably in there and I don’t wanna know what he’s doing.” Next room I guess.

Oh. My. God. :lol: Von Aigner actually invites Gabriel to stay and “amuse him”. Oh lord, we thank you for the bounty of innuendo that you have provided for us this day…

Asking Von Aigner about the club results in a great little speech.

Von Aigner posted:

I love to eat, and I love to drink. I own a butchery and a brewery, which means I love people who love to eat and drink. If I could make it the national religion, I would.

Gabe then intimates he knows about Grossberg’s animal smuggling, and Von Aigner cautions him against crossing Von Zell. See, Aigner was the main contact, but Von Zell got Grossberg’s name from him for…reasons. Von Aigner thought that Von Zell was going to branch out on his own, acknowledging that his debt to Von Zell was slashed in exchange. So. My theory is that Klingmann took the wolves out, Von Zell arranged for their illegal export, and sponsored Klingmann’s entry into the club in exchange for his services.

Gabriel asking about the Black Wolf results in a curiosity. Von Aigner says that he hears wolves around the woods regularly…which stuns Gabriel because wolves are extinct in Germany. So Von Aigner might be an animal smuggler, but he doesn’t seem to be a werewolf. Yet. Next room…oh, right, that’s Von Zell’s and he pretty clearly locked it. Ok, next room after that.

Klingmann. Let’s get him. Oh. Gabriel won’t talk to him or show him the wolf tags without a bit more evidence. gently caress. I’ll be back, rear end in a top hat. Last room.

Of course. Von Glower tells Gabriel he should go for a walk, get to know the area. Yeah, I’ll get right on that.

Downstairs, Hennemann’s having a drink, so let’s chat him up.

He’s a decent enough sort. For a raging homophobe. He all but confirms Preiss is gayer than the jack of hearts, and seems to think that Preiss will jump any one of them given the opportunity. He says he’s pretty chummy with Klingmann though. Gabriel asks if he sponsored Klingmann’s membership then?

“Nein, that was Von Zell.”

Excuse me a moment. :smug: Also, let’s check out a small cupboard down here.

Oh that is just a darling oil lamp, we have to add it to Gabriel’s jacket of holding. Or his TARDIS-coat.

Ok, let’s go kick Klingmann’s rear end.

The expression on Klingmann’s face is loving priceless :lol:

Gabriel agrees. Klingmann quickly confesses to the whole thing, that Von Zell approached him at a lecture, and made a deal: Klingmann would let Von Zell and another man (probably Grossberg) into the Zoo, the two of them would remove the wolves, and in exchange, Von Zell gets Klingmann into the club.

loving BOOM! Called that poo poo! Gabriel says he won’t tell the cops, but he’ll hold onto the wolves’ tags in the meantime.

Klingmann is a poor broken man and that was intensely satisfying. I need a smoke. Ok, one last person to check out. How to get into Von Zell’s room…hmm, I wonder if Preiss has a window…

Hey, I can see that exact same tree from my room! Except flipped the other way. Let’s see, I’m sure Preiss won’t mind us borrowing his rope for this…

It’s lucky that there’s an eyebolt in the window frame for just such an occasion.

GABRIEL IS WHISPER QUIET AS HE SNEAKS ACROSS THE LEDGE, YOU CAN BARELY HEAR HIM MOVE.

No, really, Gabriel, I’ve seen the loving Kool-Aid Man enter a room more quietly than you just did. Well, let’s check it out.

No, Gabriel, he’s not putting his teeth under the pillows.

His closet’s pretty orderly, but nothing valuable for us to steal.

However in his bathroom, Von Zell apparently subscribes to the “If I can’t see it, it doesn’t exist” school of cleanliness.

Someone’s been a bad, bad boy in some mud we saw much earlier in the game. What else can we rifle through?

Well, we’ve seen that already. But not that slip of paper to the right…

Grossberg, you idiot. Also, WHY ARE THE GERMANS WRITING BLACKMAIL NOTES IN ENGLISH?!?

This summer, Gabriel Knight is CATWOMAN! And in case you thought I was being harsh with Gabriel’s sneaking ability, I’ll just leave this here for posterity.

I did not edit that. He's like a cat, isn't he?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 21, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What are you talking about - that's exactly how my cat would climb windows.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man I've missed out on this :allears:

How far are we into this game now?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
We are about half way or so in the game, maybe a little less.
Well, its nice to be getting some results now.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

grandalt posted:

We are about half way or so in the game, maybe a little less.

Really? With my current score I'd have thought we were closer to 3/4 done.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Really? With my current score I'd have thought we were closer to 3/4 done.

Nope. in the original CD based game, this was close to the end of disc 3 of 6.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

boy I sure don't miss the days where you had to switch disks to progress on a game, made Baldur's Gate annoying as hell for me

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Switching to progress never bothered me so much, but those games where different locations were on different discs, so you had to be changing discs constantly, augh.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

mateo360 posted:

Nope. in the original CD based game, this was close to the end of disc 3 of 6.

I'm not sure why it would still be disc 3, but this is definitely way more than half way through the game. The first youtube LP I looked up had this point at a bit over 2/3 through.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 17, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, we're like 3/4 of the way through the game.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Keep in mind, with many of these CD based adventures, they usually earmarked an entire disc for extras of various kinds, or that one reaaally FMV heavy bit... And sometimes, five of the CDs were full up, and the sixth... Ending credits and some little post game bollocks, 34MB used. Also, they often made one CD the install one. Never got the original GK2, but 3/4 makes perfect sense to me with 6 discs.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

neongrey posted:

Switching to progress never bothered me so much, but those games where different locations were on different discs, so you had to be changing discs constantly, augh.

*cough*Ripper*cough*

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

*cough*Ripper*cough*

You know, I actually found a Birthday card for 40 years olds that played "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult and my first thoughts were immediately of that game.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

mateo360 posted:

You know, I actually found a Birthday card for 40 years olds that played "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult and my first thoughts were immediately of that game.

It's funny how Christopher Walken and Blue Oyster Cult ended up tied together in two different ways.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Twenty: Be Vewwy Vewwy Quiet...We're Hunting Wycanthwopes.
So where were we?

Oh right. Well, nothing’s changed in the upstairs, so let’s go back down.

Hey, someone started the fire up. Good, I hear those Bavarian nights can be chilly. One second.

Bavariiiiiaan Niiiiiights, like Bavariiiiaaaan daaaaaaaaaaaaays….

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Checking out the fireplace has Gabriel steal the matches, which will go well with our little oil lamp. Time for some more explorin’.

Oh come on, this was clearly daytime. Sierra, was it that loving hard to do a day-for-night shot?? :sigh: Let’s check the barn.

There’s either a horse whinnying, or Gabriel’s asthma is acting up.

At any rate, I’ll take those. To the right of the barn…

Well, that was a quick trip to the center of the woods. Let’s check out that bare patch to the right.

Orange-ish mud, and a bigass paw print. Von Zell’s been busy. Um, let’s go south.

Kaaaay. To the right?

Uhh…

Um…I AM SO LOST.

*Phew* okay, we’re back. Try again, I guess?

Okay, after some more blind wandering, we’re at some sort of ravine. Gabriel just comments that he can’t cross it. Back to wandering.

Another dirt patch. Hmmm….

Orange clay, and a bigass pawprint.

Surrounding the pawprint are a bunch of thorns. Good thing we grabbed those clippers!

Gabriel attacks the thorns like Edward Scissorhands’ cousin with Parkinson’s.

Behind them, a cave.

Upon entering, Gabriel complains about an odor. There’s a smaller cave we can go in….

Now someone else complains about the smell. No, seriously, I don’t know who the gently caress said it, but it wasn’t not-Tim Curry.

Well, we light the lamp and we can see…

Oh, poo poo.

Oh, double poo poo

Oh, Triple poo poo. Gabriel loving bolts it.

Although he stops in the outer cave to blow chunks for a moment, and I can’t say I blame him. BACK TO THE LODGE! SAFETY IN NUMBERS!!!

WHERE THE gently caress IS EVERYONE?!?

Nowhere else to go, we turn to our “trusted” bro, Von Glower, and lead him to the cave. He checks it out, seeing the bodies…

but no sign of Von Zell.

Gabriel tells him that Von Zell is a werewolf and gives him the total info-dump on the plot….except assuming that Von Zell is the only werewolf, of course.

Von Glower…glowers. Really, there’s no other way to put it. And it turns out that he was fully aware that Gabriel was there looking for the Huber girl’s killer. How? Not a loving clue.

But he tells Gabriel that they’ll hunt Von Zell tonight.

And naturally, when hunting a werewolf, you want to polish your rifle to a mirror sheen for….reasons.

Von Glower has loaned Gabriel a spare outfit which in his words “makes me feel like loving Lord Byron”.

The horse disagrees.

Von Glower sets the plan, Gabriel is to stay close to him, and he’ll do the killin’, once they corner Von Zell at the ravine.

The horse calls Gabriel a pussy. No, really, it sounds like it.

Also, note that we’re apparently still in Von Glower’s bedroom apparently. Von Glower does…something.

And almost instantly, Gabriel loses sight of him.

However, Gabriel does at least remember the five pound magic charm he has to protect him from things like werewolves and spirits, and whips it out.

Good thing too, because there’s a ridiculous looking CGI wolf there!

THE POWER OF GABRIEL COMPELS YOU!!

The wolf slinks off.

But Gabriel makes a wrong turn.

And things don’t go too well.

FIRST DEATH SCREEN! :dance: In these games, that usually means that you’re on the home stretch of sorts.

So let’s try that again.

This time, we make it to the ravine.

But the wolf tackles Gabriel and the Talisman goes flying. He’s truly a tribute to his ancestors.

Von Glower shows up, but refuses to take the shot, tossing Gabriel the gun.

So, while making the dumbest face imaginable, Gabriel plugs the wolf center of mass.

But Gabriel’s got a little problem of his own now.

And enjoy this shot of naked Von Zell.

Von Glower helps Gabriel back to the lodge, while Von Zell’s rear end winks obscenely at us.

NEXT TIME: Will Gabriel succumb to the loathsome lycanthropy? Will Grace observe the obfuscated opening that hides Wagner’s wolfy opera? Will I stop talking like the ’66 Batman narrator???

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The point where poo poo officially gets real.

Silly as the CGI weeeeeeeeeeeerewolf and the chase scene were, that scene where you discover Von Zell is hella impressive.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
No video of naked Von Zell munching down on a corpses? I'm disappointed Ricky :cheeky:

Also, Chapter Six? Apparently it has been a while since I played this, I though this was still part of chapter 3, then again very little happens between chapter 3 - the end of 5 so my mind just kind of meld all the Grace and All the Gabriel parts together it seems.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Indeed, that scene in the cave, that was chilling. That was classic horror.
Also, there's a bit of something special about Von Glower's actions, that is explained by one of the books read earlier.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

that scene where you discover Von Zell is hella impressive.

grandalt posted:

Indeed, that scene in the cave, that was chilling. That was classic horror.
Also, there's a bit of something special about Von Glower's actions, that is explained by one of the books read earlier.

Agreed. I do wish I'd been recording during that, but a lot of my recording is pure guesswork seeing as this has been a blind run. Screenshots on the other hand, I can usually grab on the go. What I post is maybe a third of what I actually take.

And I did look way back to see about that, I assume that you're talking about the sound of howling being able to trigger the change? (No, I'm not spoiling that, because if anyone out there hasn't figured out that Von Glower is the alpha werewolf, you are an idiot.)

Also, did Jane Jensen just not put any effort into trying to disguise that Von Glower is the big bad wolf? I mean, Jesus, I knew it from the first time we saw the fucker that he was going to be the principal villain/antagonist.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Agreed. I do wish I'd been recording during that,
Umm... you were, though? Unless there's another Von Zell scene I'm blanking out on, but that seems unlikely.

Just record everything in Fraps, keep what you need. That's also a handy way to take screenshots exactly when you need them.

If there was any intention to keep Von Glower's status a surprise, I'm pretty sure Grace's section would have been a bit more circumspect about how the werewolf pack thing works (or the revelation would have been shifted to a later part of the game)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

Umm... you were, though? Unless there's another Von Zell scene I'm blanking out on, but that seems unlikely.

Just record everything in Fraps, keep what you need. That's also a handy way to take screenshots exactly when you need them.

If there was any intention to keep Von Glower's status a surprise, I'm pretty sure Grace's section would have been a bit more circumspect about how the werewolf pack thing works (or the revelation would have been shifted to a later part of the game)

mateo360 confused me. And I'm just using the built in dosbox recorder as the Fraps one creates loving MASSIVE files, which will take my poor computer days to upload to youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

mateo360 confused me. And I'm just using the built in dosbox recorder as the Fraps one creates loving MASSIVE files, which will take my poor computer days to upload to youtube.
I don't have much experience with dosbox, so I don't know if it's any good. You can easily convert Fraps files into compact MP4's with little to no loss of quality though.

• Locked thread