Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Fifteen: St. John's Eve Party

Ok, now that Doctor John is unwittingly delivering our tracker, it’s time to return to St. George’s. Once there, we need to make an…unusual…request to Grace by showing her the drawing Gabriel made of Crash’s tattoo.

“Will you do me a favor?”
“What?”
“Use your paints to copy this snake tattoo onto my chest.”
“Now, why on Earth would you want me to do that?”
“…I’m going to a party tonight. Costume, you know.”
“You don’t say? I guess you’re going with Malia.”
“Uh…yeah. That’s right.”
“And why should I help you when I don’t even like Malia?”
“We-e-l-l, if you’re jealous about my feelings for her…”
“You KNOW that’s not it. I just think, as your friend, that she’s trouble.”
“It’s perfectly understandable. I know that you have certain feelings for me, quite naturally.”
“ME? I would rather be hung by my hair over a bed of scorpions.”
“I know it must be hard having it in your face like this. No chance to avoid hearing about it, seeing it day by day…”
“FINE! I’ll DO it! Just SHUT UP! Can we at least go in the back?”
“Sure, but…could you say that one more time…and pout your lips more?”:smug:
“UGGH!”

These two might just be my favorite non-romantically involved pairing of all time. If the future games gently caress this up, I will be very upset. Anyway, Grace paints the snake on.

“Hold still!”
“Maybe you’d like to tie me up?”
“One more remark, and I’m leaving.”
“Okay, okay.”
“Done. It’s just stunning.”
“Sorry I couldn’t make it last longer.”
“Well, it was about what I expected from you.”

*snort* Okay, so that being done, it’s time to hit the Bayou St. John.

It’s about what you’d expect. So we break out the tracking equipment.

Pretty basic, you walk in the general direction of the blip on the tracker. Easy.

Er. Kinda.

But eventually, success! Before we can approach the party already in progress, Gabriel has to get changed. We put on our croc mask we bought earlier.

You said it, Gabe. So, what does an evil Voodoo cult’s ritual celebration look like? Let’s just say, :nws:It’s about what you’d expect.:nws: Once there, Gabriel is confronted by Dr. John (inexplicably clad in a purple thong. Now imagine Worf wearing it. Enjoy that mental image.)

“Welcome Brother Crocodile. Please join the other celebrants.”
“Yes, Dr. Joh-er, Brother Eagle.”
“But first…Name the great serpent who crushes all in his coils.”
“Damballah!”
“You are correct, Brother Crocodile. Who is the destroyer of men?”
“Ogoun Badagris.”
“You are correct, Brother Crocodile. Enjoy yourself WELL tonight (*evil chuckle*).”

This entire segment has been recorded for your viewing pleasure, but to sum up: The celebrants begin dancing, as a woman in a leopard mask with a snake wrapped around her breasts enters the circle. The crowd begins chanting “TETELO!”, and Dr. John blows some powder into Gabriel’s face through the mouth of the mask. Unable to stop himself, Gabriel takes off the mask and approaches the leopard woman…

And yeah, you all knew this was coming, it’s Malia underneath. In a very different voice, she shouts:

“I know you now! I can smell his blood in your veins!”

Before attempting to stab Gabriel. He manages to get away, but falls and hits his head. A mysterious hand reaches out to him, and then…

“Gabriel! Gabriel, wake up!”
“Oww! My head!”
“It’s about time! I’ve been trying to wake you up for hours! There’s no time to lose!”
“I had another dream.”
“It wasn’t a dream, believe me. Now come on, get dressed.”
“Waitaminute! I’m starting to remember…something about Malia…”
“She’s the head priestess of the Voodoo cartel. They’re responsible for the murders, they’ve been doing it for years.”
“Malia? Last night…she was the leopard! Like in my dreams, Grace!”
“I know, those dreams were a warning. Now come on, get dressed.”
“But last night, Malia changed. She became…someone, something else. And then I blacked out, I think….how did I get home?”
“I followed you last night. I had my doubts about the Geddes. Did you know that they arrived in New Orleans in 1800? Just in time for the Voodoo influx. I knew you were going to try to sneak into a ceremony last night, so I followed you. Lucky for you that I did. If you’d been left at that circle last night, I don’t know WHAT she would have done to you.”
“You’re wrong. Malia wouldn’t hurt me.”
“What about Tetelo?”
“Tetelo! They were chanting that last night. That’s the name from Gunter’s journal…the woman who took his talisman!”
“Yes. Gabriel, it’s your destiny that you’re facing. You can’t just blunder your way through this, or you’ll end up dead. Tetelo will be after you now. You HAVE to call your Great Uncle in Germany.”
“Uncle Wolfgang?”
“Yes. He knows more about this than we do.”
“Okay, I’ll call him. But Malia isn’t responsible for those things, Grace. It’s that spirit…that..Loa. It’s Tetelo.”
“Yeah, possession is convenient that way. Call Wolfgang, Gabriel. I’ll be in the shop.”

Sounds like a good place to call it this one a wrap. Next Time: GABRIEL CALLS LONG DISTANCE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So all it takes for Cajun Tim Curry Gabriel Knight to call international long distance is to be drugged by a voodoo witchdoctor and nearly stabbed to death by a half naked woman wearing a snake. I mean, I knew rates were bad before VOIP calls were possible, but...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Sounds like a good place to call it this one a wrap. Next Time: GABRIEL CALLS LONG DISTANCE!
YOU FOOL! At least make it a collect call :ohdear:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

YOU FOOL! At least make it a collect call :ohdear:

Dude, look what it took to get him just to make a long distance call. Imagine what it would take to make him call collect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dude, look what it took to get him just to make a long distance call. Imagine what it would take to make him call collect.
If that was a joke, it whooshed right past me - making a call at someone else's expense seems right up Gabriel's alley.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

If that was a joke, it whooshed right past me - making a call at someone else's expense seems right up Gabriel's alley.

Well, y'see...okay actually I got nothing, I was half awake when I wrote that.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Sorry for the delay folks, expect an update in a day or two...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Sixteen: Calling Uncle Wolfgang

All right, it’s time for a plot dump! Let’s ring that crazy old uncle and see what’s what!

“Gabriel! It is so good to hear your voice! I had such a dream last night!”
“There’s a good reason for that, Uncle Wolfgang. We need to talk!”
Gabriel then fills in Wolfgang on everything off-camera.
“Ach! It is even worse than I thought!”
“You bet it is! We have to talk about what I’m supposed to do!”

And so we begin interrogating our elderly Great-Uncle over the phone. Nothing really new comes up until we get to here:
“What can you tell me about Schattenjägers?”
“Yes! Of course! I sometimes forget how little you know of the family, Gabriel. I never understood how Heinz could allow his sons to remain ignorant…!”

They really should have inserted some German cursing here. There really is no better language to swear in. Maybe Klingon.

“But now is not the time for that discussion. Schattenjäger is really two words in English, Gabriel; Schatten means ‘shadow’ and Jäger means ‘hunter’.”
“Shadow Hunter?”
“Yes, Shadow Hunter. We Ritters have been Schattenjägers for many centuries. No one is sure when it began, or how, but we have records of ancestors as early as the 13th century fulfilling this role. Some believe that the role was given to us when…Ah, but such fantasies cannot be of use to you at the moment, Gabriel.”

Uncle Wolfgang also fills us in a little on Tetelo and the Talisman she stole. He confirms that Tetelo controls the cult by possessing her female descendants and ordering the killings, and she’s become an insanely powerful Loa thanks to the theft of the Talisman.

“It was in the family for centuries before Tetelo took it. It is believed to be as old as the role of Schattenjäger itself. The Talisman has genuine power, I don’t know how or why, but it is so. The Schattenjägers swore to use the power for good, never for evil – for defense, not offense.”

Soooo, the Schattenjägers are using the Light Side of the Force?? Anyway, Wolfgang tells Gabriel that the Talisman must be buried with Tetelo’s remains, but he has no idea where those remains are. He figures they’re either in NOLA or in her ancestral homeland. Gabriel fills him in on what Hartridge found out regarding that: The Republic of Benin. Wolfgang tells Gabriel to carefully investigate where the remains *might* be in N’awlins, but not to approach any of the cult’s sanctum locations without him.

So there we have it. Gabriel’s family secret is that he is descended from a line of witch hunting, undead busting, badasses. And yes, Uncle Wolfgang is pretty badass himself, although we won’t find out just how badass for awhile yet. (Although you might recognize his voice actor as Alfred from Batman TAS among many, many other roles.) Going out into the main office of St. George’s Books, it’s time to check the news!

“God help me, I’m actually starting to listen to this guy!”

YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO HIM FOR OVER A WEEK NOW. :ughh: Well, I can only think of one place that might have some bodies related to the Gedde family stacked up like cordwood, and it happens to be labelled. To the Cemetery!

Um. Kay. That wasn’t there before. Unfortunately, Gabriel’s the kind of guy who sees a big red button, he’s just gotta push it. All it does is open the tomb however. But it’s pitch black inside, and we can’t see poo poo because the doors close automatically behind Gabriel. Turns out that Gabriel has a flashlight in his room I missed picking up. Whoops.

So upon returning to the Gedde Tomb, this is all we can see at a time with our flashlight. There’s nine drawers, and some broken glass on the ground.

Most of the drawers just have the same thing…in fact, eight of them do. Until we check the middle one.

:cry: NOOOOOOOOO! THAT’S NOT TRUE! THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!
Yes friends, Detective Mosely has been unceremoniously crammed into the Gedde Tomb. And apparently, someone realized that was kind of a stupid idea because Gabriel is knocked out from behind, and when he comes to, checking the drawer again…

Being a good friend, we hold onto Mosely’s wallet for safe keeping. Nothing else to do here, we return to St. George’s.

“Where have you been? I was worried about you!”
“For good reason, apparently.”
“What happened? Do you need a doctor?”
“Nothing you want to know about, and no, just some aspirin.”
“Gabriel, this is nuts; you HAVE to get out of New Orleans.”
“No kidding.”
“Well, listen. Wolfgang called while you were out. He said, and I quote, ‘Tell Gabriel that I found what I was looking for. It’s time for me to do my duty. Schloss Ritter is his now.' Now, call me crazy, but I DON’T think that’s good news.”
“Not for Uncle Wolfy, no.”
“What are you going to do?”
“If I figure it out, I’ll let you know.”

Calling Uncle Wolfgang results in his maid or whoever telling Gabriel that he’s unavailable. So, what to do, what to do…well, the answer is actually already in our inventory. The phone book page.

We’re goin’ to Germany.

But how to pay? Well….remember how we found Mosely’s wallet in the tomb? It just so happens that, well, his credit card is in there, and he’s kinda dead now, so…

“Charge it to my Americans Repressed. The name is Mosely.”

Ok, I hate the pun name of the card, but I can’t help at chuckle at Gabriel just nonchalantly using his dead friend’s credit card to book himself an international flight. He’s such a wonderful bastard. :allears:

NEXT TIME: To Rittersburg!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Oh hey you're back. Also Mosely! :ohdear:

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 7, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know how hard it is to get a decent burial site in New Orleans? Mosely had it all thought through, and then comes in Gabriel Knight, ruining everything.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
On the other hand, Gabe has already stolen Mosely's identity several times in the past week alone, and hey, open real estate...

Also, it amuses me for reasons I can't really say that you refer to the girl on the phone as "his maid or whoever".

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

insanityv2 posted:

Oh hey you're back. Also Mosely! :ohdear:

Yeah, sorry about that, things've been a little hectic with the holidays and all.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
No worries. I don't think anyone is surprised that people are busy this time of year. I'm just happy to be seeing some updates between Thanksgiving and New Years.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Seventeen: So Let's Drop Mushrooms and Become Schattenjägers!

“Guess what, I’m going to Germany!”
“Really? That’s great, but how on Earth can you afford…”
“A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.”:smug:
“Oh, my God. I wouldn’t like the sound of that even if you WERE a man.”
“I’ll miss you too, Grace.”

Don’t worry though, we’ll be back sooner than you think! But anyway, TO RITTERSBURG!

Shiiiit, Uncle Wolfy’s doing pretty loving okay for himself seeing as he owns his own castle!

“Hello. My name is Knight. Gabriel Knight.”
“Herr Knight! Oh! Kommen sie bitte herein…I mean…come in, please, Herr Knight. I was not expecting you! Has Wolfgang sent you here?”
“Uncle Wolfgang? No, I came to see him. Isn’t he here?”
“No, he is gone! I’m sorry! You came all this way!”
“Oh great! That’s all I need!”
“Herr Knight, Wolfgang told me all about you and gave me instructions for you to feel welcome here. Please, this is your home. You are a Ritter, no? I am just doing some work. I will continue, and you may make yourself comfortable. If there is anything you need, please ask me. You may use Wolfgang’s bedroom. It is at the top of the stairs.”
“Thank you, Miss…”
“You may call me Gerde, Herr Knight.”

Yep, personal maid, swanky castle, I think I’d like being a Schattenjäger personally. Well, what’s Wolfgang’s room like?

drat. The door on the other side of the room is locked, so I guess Wolfgang didn’t want Gabriel to use his private crapper or something. On the other side of Gerde, we find…

Okay, so I highly doubt that Gabriel’s store is Saint George’s by pure coincidence. The tapestries on the wall depict hands being washed, hair being cut, a goblet, blood dripping into the goblet, a knight kneeling, and a scroll. Kaaaay. Well, let’s talk to Gerde.

She doesn’t have a lot of new information unfortunately, at least not until we get to asking her about Schattenjägers.
“As Wolfgang may have told you, Schattenjager means ‘Shadow Hunter’. The Ritter family have always been Schattenjägers. It is a kind of priesthood though not *blush* as restrictive as most. Each Schattenjäger passes on his knowledge to a younger man in the Ritter line when the time is right. I am sure Wolfgang meant for you to take his place someday as Schattenjäger.”

Asked about the tapestries, Gerde says they depict the Schattenjäger initiation ceremony.

“Each young man of the Ritter line must go through the ceremony when he dedicates himself to be a Schattenjäger. “
“But what does the ceremony DO?”
“I do not know, Herr Knight. The only people present are the old Schattenjäger and the new…but I think it must be similar to a priest’s ordination or a wedding; a ceremony of intent and oath.”
“Yeeeuw!”
“Is there a problem, Herr Knight?”
“You said ‘wedding’. I’m okay now.”

Well, it’s time to become a Schattenjäger now. There’s two things we need from the area around Gerde…a dagger on the wall, and a container of salt next to her. Now back to Wolfgang’s bedroom.

First we open the windows. Next we use the snow on the ledge to wash Gabriel’s hands. Following that, Wolfgang left a small toiletries kit on the shelf including a pair of scissors. So we take those and chop of a lock of his hair.

“I HATE this. There…that’s PLENTY.”

Next, there’s a framed scroll. We need that. And finally we take the basin on the shelf as well. Back to the chapel.

We put the basin on the altar and put some salt in it. Now, we need Gabriel to put some of his blood in the basin, so we use the dagger on him while we blare some early Linkin Park.

“Whoops! Nearly hit an artery.”

Now we kneel at the altar, and use the scroll. What follows is a magnificent bait and switch, after which Gabriel goes to bed…and has a dream about a dragon. The dragon berates him for his impure life, mocking his decision to be a Schattenjäger, and the sets him on fire to “purify” him. :what: After which, Gabriel stabs the dragon, which turns into him :what:, and then withers away revealing a key.

And now that Gabriel’s awake, the key is in his room, so we take it.

NEXT TIME: Tracking Down Uncle Wolfgang!

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 11, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:what: After which, Gabriel stabs the dragon, which turns into him :what:

See Gabriel? You didn't need the leather duster and motorcycle at all! Because...

:swoon: the rear end in a top hat was in you all along! :swoon:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tupperwarez posted:

See Gabriel? You didn't need the leather duster and motorcycle at all! Because...

:swoon: the rear end in a top hat was in you all along! :swoon:

Dude, I really don't think he needed a ritual-fueled hallucination. Gabriel seems pretty in tune with his inner rear end in a top hat.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah Gerde is sleeping with Uncle Wolfy.

I guess the man-slut streak runs in the family?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

insanityv2 posted:

Yeah Gerde is sleeping with Uncle Wolfy.

I guess the man-slut streak runs in the family?
Well, the dragon said that multiple women loving him makes him worthy of joining the club.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Deleuzionist posted:

Well, the dragon said that multiple women loving him makes him worthy of joining the club.

Yeah, I figured those as Malia, Grace (to a certain extent)....and Grandma?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are right, it was even confirmed by J. Jensen in an interview.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So because I'm loved by my mother, grandmother, and wife...I too can become a Schattenjager?

Jesus, this secret supernatural hunting organization is easier to get into than a country club!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The idea is that even if Gabriel doesn't believe in himself and doesn't see the good inside him, others do and are willing to stake their lives on it. Gabriel must therefore cleanse himself by taking an introspective journey and slaying the threatening illusion with which he has surrounded himself, and which has curtailed his true potential.

tl;dr: Yes!

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

I still don't understand why Gabriel just decided to leave New Orleans. I mean his best friend and cop shows up dead and he goes "welp, no idea what to do, time to go to Germany" Wouldn't it have made more sense for Wolfgang to come to New Orleans to help out?
Or did I miss the part where Wolfgang told him to come to Germany to take the Shattenjeager initiation ceremony?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

fullTimeLurker posted:

I still don't understand why Gabriel just decided to leave New Orleans. I mean his best friend and cop shows up dead and he goes "welp, no idea what to do, time to go to Germany" Wouldn't it have made more sense for Wolfgang to come to New Orleans to help out?
Or did I miss the part where Wolfgang told him to come to Germany to take the Shattenjeager initiation ceremony?

I think we're meant to understand that Gabriel went to Germany in an effort to team up and find the Talisman. Maybe?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So because I'm loved by my mother, grandmother, and wife...I too can become a Schattenjager?

Jesus, this secret supernatural hunting organization is easier to get into than a country club!

Just you wait for Gabriel Knight 2: Gabe joins the country club!

(I'm only half-kidding! )

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Choco1980 posted:

Just you wait for Gabriel Knight 2: Gabe joins the country club!

(I'm only half-kidding! )
Ahahaha oh my god you're right, it totally is! The guy playing Gabe in GK2 might not have Tim Curry's greasy charm, but he does a decent job at capturing Gabe's jackassery.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
And this is why I love the old sprite adventure games, especially some of the later stuff... Cutscenes had to be relatively brief and punchy, and Gabriel Knight's artist/team did a lot of good work in this game.

The useful word for this game, art direction wise? Chiaroscuro. Basically, I'm saying the game's artist(s) really knew their stuff.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

JamieTheD posted:

And this is why I love the old sprite adventure games, especially some of the later stuff... Cutscenes had to be relatively brief and punchy, and Gabriel Knight's artist/team did a lot of good work in this game.

The useful word for this game, art direction wise? Chiaroscuro. Basically, I'm saying the game's artist(s) really knew their stuff.

Yeah, I actually really like the scenes that get laid out almost like a comic. Very artsy.

Update tomorrow, hopefully!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, this game is (oddly?) more cinematic and better directed than the sequel. (With the exception of a single scene two scenes, GK2 doesn't have ANYTHING cinematic in it, which is just sad)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, this game is (oddly?) more cinematic and better directed than the sequel. (With the exception of a single scene two scenes, GK2 doesn't have ANYTHING cinematic in it, which is just sad)

Not to mention it has castle interiors that look like some Bavarian accountant's summer home - and those are amongst the better produced areas. :( I won't even acknowledge the CGI in that game. Every time someone says they like GK2 best and don't like GK3 because of how ugly it is, I have to wonder if they are perhaps blind and / or deaf.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Not to mention it has castle interiors that look like some Bavarian accountant's summer home - and those are amongst the better produced areas.

On the other hand, the second game's depiction of Bayern seemed much more realistic than that in the first one. The first version of Schloss Ritter is a huge stone edifice that looks more at home in a Disney cartoon than anything that may exist in the real world. In the sequel, the exterior is more modest, but also more reasonable.

Not to mention the other oddities: we know from the newspaper that the game takes place in june, yet there is snow falling around the castle. If you ask the maid about herself she will mention that she likes "The Beatles", as though we had suddenly travelled back in time to the 1960s. And in the second game, most of the Bavarian characters have unreasonably good English skills, but that is getting ahead of ourselves.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 10, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, I figured those as Malia, Grace (to a certain extent)....and Grandma?
Gabriel your mom never loved you. The lizard said it, must be true. How does that feel?

There's probably an in-game reason but I forget

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deleuzionist posted:

Gabriel your mom never loved you. The lizard said it, must be true. How does that feel?

There's probably an in-game reason but I forget
Gabe's mom has been dead since he was a kid, it probably only applies to people who are still alive.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kopijeger posted:

If you ask the maid about herself she will mention that she likes "The Beatles", as though we had suddenly travelled back in time to the 1960s.

So, in your opinion, no one in 1993 enjoyed classic rock? ;)

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

we know from the newspaper that the game takes place in june, yet there is snow falling around the castle.

Well, it seems the castle is up in the mountains, so I find this at least possibly realistic, although it was probably just an oversight/they didn't care because they wanted it to look cool. The maid's impeccable English skills are more puzzling to me; it seems like many European city-dwellers know English, but this chick is vacuuming rugs in the mountains. Maybe it's part of Uncle's hiring requirements that any potential maid be able to talk dirty to him in English answer the phone calls from his loutish American nephew intelligibly. :shrug:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So, in your opinion, no one in 1993 enjoyed classic rock? ;)

All joking aside, it is the only thing she mentions that she enjoys, which seems unlikely for a young woman from rural Bayern living in the year 1993.

quote:

The maid's impeccable English skills are more puzzling to me; it seems like many European city-dwellers know English, but this chick is vacuuming rugs in the mountains.

You could say the same thing about Wolfgang's language skills - unless his duties require that he has regular interaction with English-speakers, it is unlikely that he would be as fluent as depicted. Like I mentioned earlier there are more linguistic oddities in the later games, but we will get to those.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Keep in mind that Wolfgang's own brother was an English speaking Amerikaner. He probably had plenty of practice in that regard. My GF's a first generation American, and she has immediate family living in Dresden. She's not fluent in German, and they're not fluent in English, but they both know enough to get by well enough.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Choco1980 posted:

Keep in mind that Wolfgang's own brother was an English speaking Amerikaner. He probably had plenty of practice in that regard. My GF's a first generation American, and she has immediate family living in Dresden. She's not fluent in German, and they're not fluent in English, but they both know enough to get by well enough.

Well, I can't imagine they kept in touch--Wolfgang didn't even know about Gabriel until around the time of the game.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kopijeger posted:

You could say the same thing about Wolfgang's language skills - unless his duties require that he has regular interaction with English-speakers, it is unlikely that he would be as fluent as depicted. Like I mentioned earlier there are more linguistic oddities in the later games, but we will get to those.

As Wolfgang was the last Schattenjager, I'd imaging he'd be fluent in several languages in order facilitate Shadow Hunting.

And Gerde flat out says Wolfgang taught her English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Eighteen: And It's All Thanks to Our Local Library!

So last time Gabriel officially joined the ranks of the Schattenjagers and obtained a large brass key. Well, there’s only one locked room in the castle...

Welcome to Wolfgang’s library. And boy oh boy is this section a pain in the rear end. Pretty much each shelf contains a different topic, and we have to follow a chain in order to track down where Wolfgang went. So first we have to look through the shelves until we find this:

Ok, so we take the book and read:

”People’s Republic of Benin” posted:

The People’s Republic of Benin is an area of rich and diverse cultures and a proud heritage. Before slaving devastated many tribes, this area was populated by some of the oddest, fiercest, and most powerful tribes in tribal Africa: the Fons, the Dahomeys, and the terrible Agris. The book ‘The Primal Ones’ by John Roots provides insight into these fascinating cultures.

Needless to say, our next target is that book, so back to looking through the shelves for it.

”The Primal Ones” posted:

…In contrast with the peaceful, nomadic tribes of Northern Africa, certain tribes of the Southwest were vicious and xenophobic. This part of Africa is called the Red Basin area because of the vast amount of bloodshed that’s occurred there over the centuries. In this one area of Africa existed, in a perpetual state of war and raiding, some of the most powerful and efficient fighters the world has ever seen. Why did this region inspire such violent behavior? To understand, one must look further back. See ‘Ancient Roots of Africa’ by Earl E. Days.
:stare: Oh god…the puns….it’s like being trapped in a world run by Carmen Sandiego….

”Ancient Roots of Africa” posted:

The ferocity of the tribes in the Red Basin region is traceable to their predecessors. In Egyptian time, 4000-2000 BC, this region was ruled by powerful sun worshippers. We know a little about this mysterious cult by the remnants of ruins far older and of a culture far more advanced than any that exists in Africa today. See ‘Sun Worshippers’ by A. Curate.
:confused:

…nahhhh

”Sun Worshippers” posted:

One of the earliest religious practices was that of sun worship. The most powerful cults of sun worshippers lived on the continent of Africa. The African sun god was violent and terrible, and so became his worshippers. They practiced a particularly bloody form of ritual sacrifice. The homeland of this ancient cult is still considered a sacred site of power. See ‘Ancient Digs of Africa’ by Professor Seymore Shards.

Ok, the puns are starting to physically hurt now. And pray tell, which African sun god would you be referring to? Awondo? Nyambi? Atenn? Ra?

Stop that.

”Ancient Digs of Africa” posted:

The most fascinating archaeological site in Africa is the Great Snake Mound in the People’s Republic of Benin, located 50 miles south of the capital, in the Red Basin.

Oh yeah, the Pyramids, the Valley of the Kings, the Sphinx, those are all yesterday’s news. Idiot.

”Ancient Digs of Africa” posted:

Like the snake mounds of North America, the origin and meaning of these great mounds remains a mystery, though clearly, they were the result of profound and urgent spiritual belief. Unlike other snake mounds, the African example is a double snake mound; a small snake ring within a larger snake ring. The mound is thought to have housed an ancient temple. Although archaeologists explored the mound site, the interior remains largely unchanged from ancient times. This is partially due to stringent Government regulations, and partially to local superstition. The local people regard the mound with fear, and won’t go near it.

“A double snake ring???”

So Gabriel flips through the book and sees…

If you forgot, a “wheel-within-a-wheel” is one of the images present in his recurring nightmare. I don’t really see the snake aspect, myself though. Anywho, Gabriel pockets the book, and we can also look at a book about the Ritters.

“I’m not sure I’m really interested in knowing about some of my ancestors.”

And we can also look at the occult section…

Spoiler: Next game’s about werewolves.

:rimshot:
Now that we’ve amused ourselves, time to talk to Gerde again.

“Gut’ Morgen, Herr Knight! I am cooking your Fruhstuck – a good German breakfast! Please, feel at home.”

I thought your job was cooking Wolfgang’s Fruhstuck? :rimshot: We show her the book.

“I found this book in the library. I think it might tell us where Wolfgang went.”
“Africa? You think Wolfgang went to Africa?”
“I know he did.”
“Then I shall make you a plane trip right now, Ja?”
“Well, I guess so.”
“Good! Good! My poor Wolfgang! You have money for the plane, Ja?”
“…I know! We can use this credit card!”

…We thank you for flying Air Mosely.

Next time, we meet Wolfgang in the flesh! Also, we get what this Voodoo-themed story has been sorely lacking!

• Locked thread