Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's never Canis Lupus Lupus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, done.

Also, I will take selections for retitling the thread once we get GK2 started. Currently, I'm leaning towards "Hey, you're not Southern Tim Curry!"

Am I missing something? The images of Gabriel's flight back aren't in either of the last 2 updates.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

whitehelm posted:

Am I missing something? The images of Gabriel's flight back aren't in either of the last 2 updates.

I was at work, so couldn't update with a screenshot. Check update 20 now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Haha, when I played through I accidentally skipped the airplane scene and saved after it. I was right and truly screwed at the time.

My title sugguestion: Wagner, Werewolves, and Weistwurst, oh my!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Choco1980 posted:

Haha, when I played through I accidentally skipped the airplane scene and saved after it. I was right and truly screwed at the time.

My title sugguestion: Wagner, Werewolves, and Weistwurst, oh my!

I saw it, but I didn't really *see* it, if you know what I meanVern.

Update tomorrow night, and we probably won't start GK2 until after that big holiday that's coming up....C something....Canucklemas.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Twenty-One: The End of the Beginning!

And here we are: The Endgame. So let’s leave this stinking elevator and enter the horrors of the Hounfour.

And it’s kinda futuristic?

Ok, I don’t know what I was expecting, but it probably wasn’t this. At any rate there are 12 rooms in a circle around the central area, each one marked by a number of snakes above the door. (Yeah, I know they don’t look like snakes here. Just roll with it.) The elevator room is Room 6, so let’s go clockwise and explore a little. Room 7:

This is where the cult keeps all their robes and masks and poo poo. Gabriel wisely decides to grab some robes as well as a wolf mask for himself and a boar mask for Mosely (if he shows up). Room 8 is locked, on to Room 9.

Room 9 is pretty uninteresting. Room 10!

This is where the Cult keeps all their potential sacrifices….and a huge loving snake. This one leaves Gabriel alone, but if you use the OPERATE command on it…

“No, YOU operate the python!”

*Snicker* Okay, that was pretty good. Room 11 is also locked…starting to feel a bit unwelcome here…Room 12 it is then!

Just another boring bedroom. On to Room 1. Locked as well. gently caress. Room 2.

:stonk: Holy gently caress, Haitian Worf is loving nuts. That’s human goddamn skin he’s using as wallpaper, and I might be mistaken, but those look like skinned human faces hanging from the bull skull. We’re gonna leave the room now, because he’s too into his prayer ritual to notice Gabriel at the moment. But if we moved further into the room, he’ll notice Gabe fast. Moving on.

Malia’s Room. She moves behind the screen and briefly summons Tetelo, appealing to her to spare Gabriel. Tetelo refuses, insisting that Gabriel is just like his ancestor and will betray her at the first opportunity. Malia is understandably upset at this, and…locks herself in the bathroom. Uh, Malia, I’m sure that worked on your parents, but I don’t really think locked doors are gonna do dick against a loving ghost.

Room 4…Um, kay. After the horror show that was Dr. John’s place and Malia’s opulent suite, I really wasn’t expecting to walk into Initech. Although there should be a big banner "IS THIS GOOD FOR DAMBALLAH?" There’s a ledger on the desk, so we grab it.

“This record book might be the kind of thing Mosely wanted for the FBI.”

Inside we find Rada drum codes for various members of the cult, with “Brother Eagle” being right near the top. Brother Eagle just happens to be Dr. John, so we file that away for future use. Room 5 is another office space. So what do we do next? Well, if you can bring yourself to look back at Dr John’s room, he has a keycard hanging from the far wall, so we need to get the crazy bastard out of there. There’s only one place we can explore now, the center of the Hounfour.

Oh great, another sacrificial table. Terrific. But there are also some Rada drums, and we need those, so operating them we send a very basic message: SUMMON-BROTHER EAGLE. At which point Gabriel has to loving book to Dr John’s room, grab the keycard, and get the gently caress out of there as fast as possible. Just for good measure, we go into Room 1 now to hide.

loving JACKPOT!:psyboom: And you know what?

We can take some.

“I know it’s dirty money, but it’s for a good cause. Me.” :smug:

So yeah, Gabriel just casually helps himself to a million dollars in large unmarked currency. drat. Well, we’ll go counter-clockwise to open all the locked rooms as we look for Grace.

Room 11 is...hosed up as well. Unlike the gory horror of Dr. John’s place, this has a certain antiseptic horror if you know what I mean. Undoubtedly, this is where he gets his wallpaper. But Room 8 is where the action begins.

“Grace! I found her!”

Mosely arrives just then.

“Mostly! You made it!”
“Thank God! I thought I saw you ducking in here! Those goddamn drums started as soon as I got off that elevator thing and I heard voices from above. I have a feeling the mass Voodooees are about to invade.”
“I found Grace.”
“I see that. Check her out, then you and I need to find a way to blend into the woodwork, bud.”

Talking to Grace does nothing, it’s like she’s under a spell or something…hey, didn’t we just come into possession of a mystical artifact of some sort? Let’s give it to Grace and see what happens!

“What…what’s going on..? Gabriel! Mosely! Where are we? What’s going on?”
Gabriel takes back the Talisman.
“We’re in the Gedde cartel Hounfour, Grace. A ritual is about to begin, and I’m afraid you’re the main course.”

Your metaphor sucks, Gabriel.

“Is that what those drums are? I heard them in my sleep! I couldn’t wake up!”
“Yeah. Make you want to dance, don’t they?”
“Be serious! What are we going to do now?”
“Right! Let’s make a plan! What do you want us to do, Gabriel?”
“You’re asking ME?”
“Oh, God, we’re in trouble.”

Eventually, they decide that Grace will play unconscious, while Gabriel and Mosely try to prevent Dr. John from summoning Tetelo. If necessary, Grace will wrestle Malia away. Gabriel hands Mosely his cloak and mask so they can blend in. Just in time too.

“What are you doing here?”
“Thought this room was empty.”
“Go to the circle! Now!”

And…here…we…go….

Malia arrives not long after Gabriel and Mosely come in, and there’s a problem.

“drat it! She’s already being ridden by Tetelo!”
“What?? But you said…”
“Sshhh! Yeah, yeah, I know!”
“Great! Now what?”
“I don’t know!”

Out of options, as Malia/Tetelo raises the sacrificial knife, we whip out the Talisman.

“Tetelo, STOP! I won’t let you kill her!”

Tetelo calls him a bastard of a bastard (which is a curse that I’m going to work into my vocabulary), and swings the knife. However, Grace quickly rolls off the table. Tetelo commands Dr. John to finish her off….and Mosely to the loving rescue!!

drat.

Dr. John’s blood activates this table revealing an Idol inside that Tetelo’s drawing power from. Mosely tries to shoot it, too, but Tetelo gestures and Mosely’s gun explodes…strangely not blowing off his hand in the process. She then demands that Gabriel give her back the Talisman or she’ll kill Mosely and Grace.

Now....waaaaaay back, I alluded to a plot point that would pay off later. Do you remember it?

Back in Part 3 I posted:

“Remember how we used to play Monkey-in-the-Middle? Hah! We used to piss off our Senior year teacher, what was her name, Ms. McKelly? You’d act like you were gonna toss her an eraser or somethin’, and then throw it to me over her head. And we used to do it at your Gran’s, too, like with the remote when she wanted to watch her soaps?”

Time for the payoff.

Oh yeah, that just happened. Gabe tells Mosely to take Grace and the Talisman and run, which he does. Defenseless, Gabriel is at Tetelo’s mercy. She grabs him and tries to slit his throat, but Malia’s will delays her long enough for us to grab that Idol thing and smash it against the floor.

“Oh, poo poo!”

Because now the Earth opens up. Yeah.

Malia/Tetelo clutches to the edge of the newly formed crevasse. Tetelo mocks Gabriel, saying he’ll betray her, while Malia begs for help. Being a big softie, Gabriel listens to Malian and grabs her hand. But Malia realizes something…the circle won’t end if she lives.

So she throws herself down into the lake of fire that’s under New Orleans for some reason.

And so we reach our Dénouement. Grace and Gabriel look at the ruins of the park, and Grace decides to put off her Ph.D so she can help him in his task as Schattenjager.

OR DOES SHE?!

Nah, she does. Because if the alternate ending were canon, well we wouldn’t be starting Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within after Christmas, now, would we?!

FINAL THOUGHTS

I loving love this game. Some things are a little hokey, sure, and the writers take a ton of liberties with Voodoo, but a)That's pretty much the Dan Brown formula for success anyway, and b)Unless you think to check any of that out online or in a library, you're not really going to notice it.

And I really can't stress the acting abilities of all involved. Tim Curry and Leah Remini just knock it out of the loving park as Gabriel and Grace, Mark Hamill is so lovably pathetic as Mosely, and Michael Dorn is far more intimidating as Dr. John than he ever was as a Klingon. Man, I can't wait to see how well Tim Curry does in the next game-

...Who the gently caress are you?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 21, 2013

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oh my goodness that was just glorious, I guess when faced with having to put that much emotion into his words Curry was just like "gently caress I can't do a Cajun accent and sound serious at the same time" but it was still worth it for that ending :allears:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the best part is the music in room 10 - the one with all the animals. If you listen carefully, you can hear strains of Old McDonald.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

quote:

so lovably pathetic as Mosely

:colbert:

I'm sorry but who was it that had the foresight to bring a gun into the den of dangerous voodoo criminals? And who was it that shot the big scary dude? It wasn't Gabriel that's for sure.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nidoking posted:

I think the best part is the music in room 10 - the one with all the animals. If you listen carefully, you can hear strains of Old McDonald.
Slowed down and depressing version.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Aces High posted:

Oh my goodness that was just glorious, I guess when faced with having to put that much emotion into his words Curry was just like "gently caress I can't do a Cajun accent and sound serious at the same time" but it was still worth it for that ending :allears:
Yeah, that's my favorite bit of voice acting of the whole game. The way he just lays into "drat it don't you let go!" is fuckin' great.

Also, the GK2 thread subtitle should obviously be POMMES ODER BROT?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

insanityv2 posted:

:colbert:

I'm sorry but who was it that had the foresight to bring a gun into the den of dangerous voodoo criminals? And who was it that shot the big scary dude? It wasn't Gabriel that's for sure.

Ok, lovably pathetic until he goes into full-on badass mode.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And so we reach our Dénouement. Grace and Gabriel look at the ruins of the park, and Grace decides to put off her Ph.D so she can help him in his task as Schattenjager.

Didn't notice it before, but those cracks full of lava suddenly appearing in the middle of New Orleans: shouldn't that have a significant impact on the city? Like, emergency services cordoning off the area at the very least and evacuating the threatened-by-a-geological-disaster city at worst? Plus, Jackson square is right next to the Mississippi, what happens if water seeps through to the lava? Did the tectonic disturbance mess up the levees?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just to double-check, since I didn't see it covered yet, but will you be doing GK2 as a VLP?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Darthemed posted:

Just to double-check, since I didn't see it covered yet, but will you be doing GK2 as a VLP?

Not sure, it'll probably be hybrid again. Worked well for PHANTASMAGORRRIA!!! and The 7th Guest, so why gently caress with a good thing?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
On the other hand, GK2 is all about painful German accents and watching the :geno: incarnate (Mr. Erikson, if memory serves right) moping about.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, from what I remember (it's been a few years), nearly every conversation has a line, line delivery, or acting choice that's amusing enough to want it on video. Navigating maps (actual maps, not screen-to-screen navigation) could totally be relegated to screen-shot territory, though.

e: And since I'm just looking for ways to make more work for you, will the profiles in the OP be updated at some point?
I really am enjoying the LP and your commentary, though. Thanks!

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 22, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

steinrokkan posted:

On the other hand, GK2 is all about painful German accents and watching the :geno: incarnate (Mr. Erikson, if memory serves right) moping about.
Dean Erickson alternates between :geno: and :haw:. One minute he's "aw shucks, i'm just a writer from nawlins doin' some research here." and the next minute he's "SHORE IS A FANCY CLUB Y'ALL GOT HERE!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hybrid with a heavy video lean seems the best approach, yeah.

Did I not think things through, or did you miss a few rooms in the Honfour?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Choco1980 posted:

Hybrid with a heavy video lean seems the best approach, yeah.

Did I not think things through, or did you miss a few rooms in the Honfour?

I may have missed one, but I'm pretty sure I got at least 11/12. Let's count: there's two empty bedrooms, two computer rooms, the python room, the cloak closet, Malia's Room, Dr John's Room of Horrors, Grace's room, the cash room, the morgue...and Door #6 leads back to the church elevator, so that makes 12, so I actually did get all of them. Go me!

Kopijeger posted:

Didn't notice it before, but those cracks full of lava suddenly appearing in the middle of New Orleans: shouldn't that have a significant impact on the city? Like, emergency services cordoning off the area at the very least and evacuating the threatened-by-a-geological-disaster city at worst? Plus, Jackson square is right next to the Mississippi, what happens if water seeps through to the lava? Did the tectonic disturbance mess up the levees?

Keeping in mind that although we are now a post-Katrina society, and I'm quite sure that in '92/'93 the writers could not anticipate that eventually large portions of the city would end up underwater for an extended period, these are all very good goddamn points.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I may have missed one, but I'm pretty sure I got at least 11/12. Let's count: there's two empty bedrooms, two computer rooms, the python room, the cloak closet, Malia's Room, Dr John's Room of Horrors, Grace's room, the cash room, the morgue...and Door #6 leads back to the church elevator, so that makes 12, so I actually did get all of them. Go me!

Keeping in mind that although we are now a post-Katrina society, and I'm quite sure that in '92/'93 the writers could not anticipate that eventually large portions of the city would end up underwater for an extended period, these are all very good goddamn points.

Gabriel Knight caused Katrina, then jetted off to live in a german castle. Bastard. :argh:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

Dean Erickson alternates between :geno: and :haw:. One minute he's "aw shucks, i'm just a writer from nawlins doin' some research here." and the next minute he's "SHORE IS A FANCY CLUB Y'ALL GOT HERE!"

Seems the dude is actually an investment banker type that did acting for a while:

http://www.deanerickson.com/

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OAquinas posted:

Gabriel Knight caused Katrina, then jetted off to live in a german castle. Bastard. :argh:

Not only that, but his German castle is funded by money obtained via organized crime.

6/28/93 NEVAR FORGET

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Not only that, but his German castle is funded by money obtained via organized crime.

6/28/93 NEVAR FORGET

Speaking of money, did that money he swiped in the vault not come up at all? like was just something you did for points or what?

Still, it's fairly rare that an adventure game just lets you swipe a load of cash, legal or otherwise. Monkey Island was well know for dicking you over in that regard.

And Mosely's resurrection actually makes that scene a whole lot more sensical (for example, if it was an evil mook that knocked you out, why would they let you live?).

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Speaking of money, did that money he swiped in the vault not come up at all? like was just something you did for points or what?

Yep, the game just lets you award Gabriel a million bucks in dirty money, and gives you points for playing in character.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
To be fair it is going to a good cause.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

insanityv2 posted:

To be fair it is going to a good cause.

Him. :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wonder if he uses any of it to repay Mosely's credit card debt.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
He had to leave his coat behind, so unless he stuffed the cash into his pants he would have lost the cash.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Kopijeger posted:

He had to leave his coat behind, so unless he stuffed the cash into his pants he would have lost the cash.
"Gabriel, where did you keep this money? I thought you left your coat behind."
"Well I don't mean to kiss and tell, but there's nothin' quite like some legal tenderness nestled against your--"
"Oh god. I'm microwaving the whole stack right now."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Am I misremembering, or can you grab the cash multiple times, until Gabriel finally says something along the lines of "My pockets are full... drat."?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Darthemed posted:

Am I misremembering, or can you grab the cash multiple times, until Gabriel finally says something along the lines of "My pockets are full... drat."?

Yes you can, and yes he does.

Tupperwarez posted:

"Gabriel, where did you keep this money? I thought you left your coat behind."
"Well I don't mean to kiss and tell, but there's nothin' quite like some legal tenderness nestled against your--"
"Oh god. I'm microwaving the whole stack right now."

Jane Jensen's account spotted.

Tereon
May 30, 2011
OK, so I'm very, very late to the party.
But I have to chime in to say something about the phone number from Wolfgang in Germany? +49093....

They did their loving research.

+49 is Germany's country code, and 09*** is a number from Southern Germany (where the Ritters... or "Knights" live).

It's one of those little details I really love about games. Good work, Sierra.

Looking forwards to GK2! :)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Part One: Shall we begin again?

And so here we are, with Not-Tim Curry as our hero this time. And while I’m sure he’s a very nice gentleman, because of this game, he is forever now to be referred to as Not-Tim Curry.
So a minute difference between this LP and the last one is that I had played GK1 before. I am going in blind here, so forewarned is forearmed.
At any rate, let’s Prologue this bitch!

So we open with this fellow locking a door while a wolf howls in the distance.

He throws his keys onto this leaflet, and for everyone’s convenience, I’ve run what I can read despite the old-timey font through Google Translate, and it reads as thus:
Attention! The Beast of Ulfing
And that’s all I got. If anyone can make heads or tails of the rest, feel free to chime in.

We then get a long shot of this chubby kid and who I guess is his mom staring off camera.

Not really sure if they’re staring at the fire or not.

Then this guy shows up, barks something in German, and the two of them follow him.

For some reason, the fact that there’s only one person credited as working on the werewolf effects kinda tickles me. Not sure why.

Then we have a shot of a torch being shoved into a haybale, not sure what’s going on there.

And then the kid’s face is kinda superimposed over it, making me feel even MORE lost.

I’m sorry, who? I’m more shocked that any Germans who were born with that last name didn’t change it years ago for fear of ridicule. Unless they’re going by Office Space logic. (Why should I change it? He’s the one that sucks!)

So yeah, from that prologue, I have no loving idea what’s going on beyond werewolves, and the only reason I know that is the leaflet, and the credit specifically addressing the Werewolf Artist. Also, seeing as this is an FMV game, and well, I haven’t had much luck with those in previous LP’s, I have a feeling that this is going to hurt bad. Brace yourselves, we’re going in.

Really? I have to choose to continue the game despite the fact it hasn’t even started yet? Wow, I think this sets a new record for how soon it takes a game to annoy me.

:confused:

This game is made of lies.

So Gabriel just keeps a statue of the Virgin Mary around now? Well, okay, that seems like a minor point to get annoyed about.

I have a sinking feeling that Not-Tim Curry was cast simply because he looks vaguely like Gabriel in the first game and owned a lot of t-shirts.

And it looks like Gabriel’s neighbors have already assembled a mob to run him out of town.

Looking back at Gabriel, we can see a few scars from his adventure in N’awlins have stuck around. Except for one problem: I'm assuming those scars are from where Malia cut his arm to make him drop her into the fire lake under New Orleans (And no, I'm not letting that go, it was silly.) Now, I went back and checked this, just to make sure I wasn't crazy as gently caress, but...

Do you see it? I'll just tag this, but think it through. The cuts are on the wrong arm. Malia cut his left arm, and that is very clearly his right. I applaud the attempt at continuity, but how hard would it have been to double check that???

Really? So for your prop book you just recycled some of the art from the game? Laaaaaazy.

OK, I will give this game some credit here. A) That’s a pretty good reproduction of the Talisman from GK1. B) That prop really gives the thing a sense of power and weight. I mean, from the in-game depiction, you really wouldn’t think it was so loving hefty. drat.

So Gabe is working on his next book I guess and gets frustrated, then punches his typewriter. Buddy, believe me, there’s better ways of working through writer’s block.

So Gerde (Ok, I’m assuming this is Gerde, this character isn’t named in this cutscene), comes in and tells Gabriel there’s a mob to see him. She then admonishes him that he’s not wearing his Talisman, and as Gabe leaves, he puts it on, grumbling at how heavy the drat thing is.

And thus do we reach what I’m going to assume is going to be my biggest problem with this game: Not-Tim Curry’s acting. Gabriel Knight in the first game was a smug, lovable rear end in a top hat who owned up to his familial responsibilities and heritage as a warrior against darkness. No matter how frustrated he was at the situation, he was bold in his statements. This Gabriel Knight just mumbles and grumbles his way through the opening movie. Also, while Tim Curry’s Gabriel Knight had a very distinct Louisiana accent, this guy has opted for “generic southern”. Oh god, I was right, this game is going to loving hurt me worse than The 7th Guest did, isn’t it?

Side note, if that is Gerde, she’s had some work done.

“Shouldn’t those be torches?”
Okay, that was pretty good. The old guy on the left, Werner Huber, tells Gabriel that the couple in the middle lost their daughter recently, and they need his services as Schattenjager.

She was wandering near their house when the mother saw a wolf.

By the time she called to the child, it was too late, and the wolf killed her and carried part of her off. The mother cries at this part of the story.

“They say she die quick.”

Way to reassure the grieving mother. Idiot.

“That’s horrible.”:geno:
Oh god, this is baaaad stuff.

“Ja, it is very bad, Herr Knight.”

So Gabriel is a little confused as to why they’re coming to him. Or possibly constipated.

“The killer is not wolf! It is werewolf!”

Uh, Jane, you do know the letter “a” exists in German, right? Even for Germans speaking English? Anyway, Gabe has trouble believing in werewolves despite, you know, coming face to face with the walking loving dead previously. So the father-

:lol: Oh god, I can’t help it, that lazy eye is cracking me up…hang on…oh jesus….Anyway, the *snort* father says that the wolf looked at him with “human eyes”, and that it “knew what it was doing”. So I guess this guy is the Beastmaster of Oktoberfest. Gabriel tries to back out, until Gerde reminds him that he is the Schattenjager, and he finally agrees to at least have a look around the village.

So he naturally crashes on the couch after he gets there. :bravo: So yeah, that was loving painful to the extreme, and about all I can take so far. Also, where is Grace? The end of GK1 made it pretty clear that she was going to join him in Germany. But yeah, all that, MS Word is saying I’ve written better than 1050 words so far, and I haven’t even actually done anything beyond save my game.

Next Time: Actual gameplay (I hope)!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think I might've played Gabriel Knight 2 before the first one, and I still liked Tim Curry (even if the accent was hammy, I frankly wouldn't be able to tell) way more than Erickson. In hindsight, though, he lends the game much hilarity as a completely oblivious Gabriel Knight who stumbles through his adventure on blind luck and no wits.

Would've been nice if the director had given the actor who plays the dead child's father in the intro some pointers. Like "more grieving father, less looking like your parents were related. You know what, maybe lose the hat."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And in the person of Werner Huber (played by Kay E. Kuter) you've already met the best actor in the game by a fat margin.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013
This poor actor. Of all the Not-Tim-Currys in the world, you're the Not-Tim-Curry-est.

Also I'm getting Phantasmagoria flashbacks now. :cry:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

He throws his keys onto this leaflet, and for everyone’s convenience, I’ve run what I can read despite the old-timey font through Google Translate, and it reads as thus:
Attention! The Beast of Ulfing
And that’s all I got. If anyone can make heads or tails of the rest, feel free to chime in.

The next line seems to be "The terrifying child murder of the year 1750". The last word the dude says is "gewartet", meaning "awaits" or "is waiting". Love how the woman only utters one syllable yet still can't hide her thick American accent.

And further lingustic issues: Werner Huber speaks implausibly good English for an old rural Bavarian (it is later made clear that our hero hasn't managed to learn to converse in German, though he understands a few words). Same goes for his cousin.

quote:

:confused:

This game is made of lies.
Thing is, the new appearance is probably the more realistic one

quote:

So Gabriel just keeps a statue of the Virgin Mary around now? Well, okay, that seems like a minor point to get annoyed about.
Probably one of Wolfgang's trinkets. Keep in mind that Bavaria is strongly Catholic. Not to mention the special relationship implied in the third game.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 29, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Good god. Dean Erickson was... both Eric and... the Waiter in Frasier. Admittedly, for four episodes, but hey, my opinion of the man went up. Slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Kopijeger posted:

And further lingustic issues: Werner Huber speaks implausibly good English for an old rural Bavarian (it is later made clear that our hero hasn't managed to learn to converse in German, though he understands a few words). Same goes for his cousin.
I think they hand-wave it away by saying the Ritter family spoke excellent English (presumably because they needed it, being Schattenjagers and all), and taught whoever from Rittersburg was interested? I vaguely remember one of the townspeople saying something like that.

• Locked thread