Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
The Bookstore woman is actually played by Royce Herron. I have actually had the chance to meet her and talk with her about this role. She told me an interesting story about doing this role. It was a SAG part and it actually cost Sierra more money to fly her out and put her up of the night then it would have to get someone local, but they did it any way since Sierra is cool like that. She is also a really nice lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Grace's actress delivers the same budget soap opera-level acting as the rest of the cast, but I do think she's a better fit with the first game's Grace than Dean Erickson's version of Gabriel is. And I really like getting to play as Grace, even though her parts get extremely research-heavy and dry at times.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Also now that I think about it, I'm surprised you didn't mention the castle's mighty cardboard gates shaking under Grace's vicious blows. :colbert: It just looks so extraordinarily cheap.

What cardboard? From the outside it is clearly a crude bluescreen, and from the inside it looks like crude CGI.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

What cardboard? From the outside it is clearly a crude bluescreen, and from the inside it looks like crude CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWILVID4U8

Here at 3.00 you can see her knocking on an incredibly shoddy mock up of the gate. In the latter scenes the door remains physical, I think, but looks completely unconvincing because most of the detail, including the metalwork, is just painted on it.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWILVID4U8

Here at 3.00 you can see her knocking on an incredibly shoddy mock up of the gate. In the latter scenes the door remains physical, I think, but looks completely unconvincing because most of the detail, including the metalwork, is just painted on it.

Oh, I overlooked that brief bit. When Gerde opens it from the inside at 3:17 it suddenly looks more like bad CGI. Another thing: the desk is close enough to the door that Gerde can hear the knocking on the door (no doorbell?), and at the same time there is a clear gap between the door sections that should let a draught right in.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

"Stupid bitch" is an unnecessarily gendered insult that has a lot of issues about it, but Grace is immensely bitchy in this game. And stupid. Ever so stupid.

(See my point in previous posts about the actors being given absolutely terrible direction)

I would attribute it to Adrienne in PHANTASMAGORRRIA!!, but I'm disappointed to hear that about Grace here. So much initial promise. :(

steinrokkan posted:

Also now that I think about it, I'm surprised you didn't mention the castle's mighty cardboard gates shaking under Grace's vicious blows. :colbert: It just looks so extraordinarily cheap.

I think my exhaustion at the time kind of distracted me. But yeah, it's pretty frigging cheap. Especially combined with the knocking sound effects they chose. Maybe I could allow it if Grace had been pounding on the door.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I wouldn't say that she's stupid, she just doesn't have all the information that the player has. She does come up with a clever plan or two in this game.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I gotta say, I hope you're not leaning on that walkthrough too much Ensign_Ricky. Watching you fumble around blindly the way most first time players have to is half the fun.

It's also an interesting reversal from Sins of the Father. In Sins you'd played the game before and mostly knew what to do first time out. So you were giving us the veteran's eye tour. In Beast Within the fact that you don't know what's going on immediately is part of the fun. Don't waste that first time wonder. It's amusing, especially for those of us who've already played Beast!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

jng2058 posted:

I gotta say, I hope you're not leaning on that walkthrough too much Ensign_Ricky. Watching you fumble around blindly the way most first time players have to is half the fun.

It's also an interesting reversal from Sins of the Father. In Sins you'd played the game before and mostly knew what to do first time out. So you were giving us the veteran's eye tour. In Beast Within the fact that you don't know what's going on immediately is part of the fun. Don't waste that first time wonder. It's amusing, especially for those of us who've already played Beast!

Nope, just for that last little bit as I was up poo poo creek. Seriously, I never would've figured out the tape splicing thing on my own.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't get your spirits down re. Grace, Ensign. If memory serves, she actually goes through a fair deal of character development* in this game.

*which may or may not be acted out with the misguided intensity of a high school volunteer

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It was the "C the World" travel agency in the first one, if I recall correctly - since it was on the same phone book page as Mme. Cazanoux and the Canine Critters vet or whatever it was.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Nidoking posted:

It was the "C the World" travel agency in the first one, if I recall correctly - since it was on the same phone book page as Mme. Cazanoux and the Canine Critters vet or whatever it was.

You know what, you're right. Why the bloody blue hell did I think it was Bon Voyage???

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Seven: Visiting Rittersberg!

Ok, sorry about the delay, we’re pretty much going on a twice-weekly update for now, my sincerest apologies. But things are going to get fun I’m sure because now we get to play as Grace!

This bedroom looks nothing like the one from GK1. :( So before we could see that there was an armoire…

But it’s empty. Hrm. Okay, let’s check out the Schattenjager library then.

Locked. Oh right, we have to have a trippy as gently caress nightmare, then we can get in. Downstairs we go then.

:(

THIS IS NOT A CASTLE. Ok, yes, the German “schloss” essentially means “manor house”, BUT it’s referred to as a castle repeatedly in the first game, and if you GIS “schloss”, you see loving castles. Ok, time for some more bitchiness with Gerde I guess!

And you know what? Repeatedly Gerde refers to the house as a loving castle! GAHHHH, MY IMMERSION IS RUINED!!! :sigh: Okay, so anyway, Grace tries to interrogate Gerde about the case Gabriel’s working on, but Gerde won’t tell Grace poo poo about it, saying it’s none of her business.

Grace is far from impressed. She asks about the Schattenjager library, and Gerde refuses her entrance because Grace is not a Schattenjager…although Gerde admits that she herself has been in there doing research for Gabe. Ok, lady, just because you were loving his uncle, that doesn’t make you queen of the manor house. But she does let slip that Gabriel’s near Munich.

So seeing as Gerde’s vagina is full of sand, we might as well look around the area.

Okay, we can explore Rittersberg on foot. So this is a wholly new area for us! Well, might as well check out the local church.

Nice door. What’s the poster next to it?

“Saint Georg Church.”

Grace, honey, you can say George. Try it.

Inside we pop up next to this guy. Wonder what he has to contribute. Well, we may never know because he only speaks German.

Deeper within the main cathedral we can only go deeper. If there’s a loving high-tech werewolf chapel underneath, I quit.

Wow, that was a quick trip to the catacombs.

It gets better, they’re all Schattenjagers apparently. We just walked into the Ritter Family Tomb.

Yeah they’re all kinda creepy, but there’s an old friend here we should visit.

Heya you crazy old bastard. :) We can explore it more closely…

“It’s a silver heart. Someone must’ve left it as a mourning gift.”

Well, seeing as Wolfgang left his in Africa HEY-OHHHHHH!!! I’m sorry, that was inappropriate. Well, what else can we do in Rittersberg.

Clear as mud. Door on the left.

Well, it’s the town hall, which I guess you call a “Rathaus” in German. I have no comment. The nice fellow there gives a few details on the town, and that’s all. Next door!

“So this is where I’ve been sending Gabriel’s fan mail.”

We can meet the postlady, but we have no letters to send. Last door!

Hey, it’s Werner! Hi Werner!

So Grace decides to hit the old fellow up for information. He speaks fondly of Uncle Wolfgang, and all but confirms what we all suspected about him and Gerde. And although he refuses to say specifically where Gabriel is, he does tell Grace that the case involves Werewolves.

Grace has a hard time accepting that, despite seeing a case of demonic possession not so long ago that ended in massive fire pits opening under NOLA. Werner also says that there was another Werewolf in Rittersberg during the 1700’s. So back to Schloss Ritter I guess.

Nothing new here as Grace refuses to punch the bitch out and steal the key from her, so I’m gonna call it here.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 21, 2014

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Oh man, I like Werner :allears: What a strange man. Some of his mannerisms remind me of Tom Baker.
:smugdog::Werewolf! Wherewolf? Weeeeerewolf.

And More fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 21, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

And More posted:

Oh man, I like Werner :allears: What a strange man. Some of his mannerisms remind me of Tom Baker.

Werner is definitely one of the better actors in the game I think. He at least has a decent German accent.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

And More posted:

Therewolf.

(I can't be the only one who thought that)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Choco1980 posted:

Therewolf.

(I can't be the only one who thought that)

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I forgot to mention this earlier, but Ubergrau's secretary is the best character in the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I just completed the third game (thanks GoG) for the first time. Wonder if we'll ever get around to that one.

It's so goddamn ugly. Even when you get used to it, periodically a character will do something like dig a hole and make you go uuuuuuugh all over again.

Oddly enough, with three games in the series, the first one is still the prettiest, best acted and has the best directed action set pieces. (The third installment has absolutely no idea how to block a shot / position characters)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Am I the only one who gets distracted by Grace's assymetrical haircut?

Also, I love how 90's the game seems.

Verbose posted:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but Ubergrau's secretary is the best character in the game.

I like how, when she leaves the room, Gabriel glances at her as she walks away, and the lawyer is like :what:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

I just completed the third game (thanks GoG) for the first time. Wonder if we'll ever get around to that one.

We will. Promise.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Xander77 posted:

It's so goddamn ugly. Even when you get used to it, periodically a character will do something like dig a hole and make you go uuuuuuugh all over again.

Oddly enough, with three games in the series, the first one is still the prettiest, best acted and has the best directed action set pieces. (The third installment has absolutely no idea how to block a shot / position characters)

Ugh, the third game. That one is bad, after all, it was made about the same time that the Mask of eternity, that should give you an idea of how bad it is. Only good thing about that game is the voice acting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

grandalt posted:

Ugh, the third game. That one is bad, after all, it was made about the same time that the Mask of eternity, that should give you an idea of how bad it is. Only good thing about that game is the voice acting.
In some ways its better than the current entry (you can at least try to do impressive set-pieces and action sequences in a 3d world), but I suppose that's a discussion that will have to wait a bit.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Part Eight: To the Libary!
So last time Grace was trying to win in a clit-measuring contest with Gerde. Now, remembering that there was a car parked outside, I check it and find out it’s Gabriel’s. Okay, so maybe Gerde has the keys?

“That is Gabriel’s car, he doesn’t even let me drive it.”

gently caress you, too. Ok, lacking ideas, I’m going back to Rittersberg.

And checking with the town hall, we’re starting to figure it out. We ask for the records of the werewolf trial back in the 1700’s, but the old guy needs a more specific date. Now, my first thought is, hey, go back to the Schattenjager tomb, find out who the active one during the time period was and go from there. But that gets me nowhere as the only ones the game lets me see the date on are Wolfgang’s, Jurgen (15th century), and Martin (12th century). gently caress. And I can’t talk to Werner anymore about it. Goddamn. Back to Schloss Ritter I guess.

Hey, the workman’s gone! And there’s a stone missing from the fireplace? And what’s with that hole?

I could say so many dirty comments right now, but I’m better than that. Hey, he left his toolbox too, what’s in it?

We’ll just help ourselves to his screwdriver and, well, there really isn’t any other way to put this, probe the hole with it.

And a clicking sound comes from the wardrobe.

SECRET PASSAGE!!!

Well, time to do some exploring I suppose. Where’s that path behind Grace go?

I’m suddenly having severe PHANTASMAGOORRRIA!! flashbacks.

But this one just leads outside. But I’m not ready to go outside, so back up the passage and I’ll take the route opposite the passage entrance this time.

Aaaand we’re in Gerde’s bedroom. Please try not to pee in her bed, Grace.

And all we can do here is look at her autographed photo of Wolfgang. Back into the closet I guess…

But on the way out, I’ll help myself to this key. Because I’m about 99% sure it unlocks the Schattenjager library.

Bingo!

And I’m gonna be honest, I kinda like this version more than in GK1. More expansive, you know?

We quickly find the hotspot, and a book on lycanthropes. Inside…

Interesting…

“How did you get in here?”

BUS-TED!!!

At which point, Grace suddenly throws what may be the most epically hilarious rant I have ever seen in my life.

In fact, it reduces Gerde to tears, and she runs off crying. You go, Grace! Further investigation of the bookshelves has Grace pick out the Journal of Victor Ritter. I have no idea how she knows that this one is relevant as Werner only said that a Schattenjager captured a werewolf in the 1700’s, but didn’t say which Schattenjager. Well, let’s look at our new acquisitions.

Charming, really.

Okay, I’m sure we’ve all heard about the phases of the moon thing, but this howling is something new. Next you’ll be telling me that instead of silver you need titanium.

Nope, this is even more dumb. Also, in the “Becoming A Werewolf” section, it left out hypnotism. Michael Landon would be soooo disappointed.

“Werewolfry”. I like that word. And the other page just brings up more what-the-fuckery.

Manos Del Sol, the Hands of Fate. Jesus, this game is bringing out my MSTie tendencies in full, isn’t it? Okay, what about the letter?

Narration
See, we should be looking into Christian Ritter. Dumbass. So back to the bookcase, and Grace finds that he died the same day as the letter was written, which explains why it was never sent. Ok, so why did you take Victor’s journal too?

Oh, well, that explains that I suppose.

Narration
Ok, so now we have a date for that fellow in the Rathaus. And Christian’s journal says what?

Narration
Gee, “Black Wolf”, I wonder if the guy who dresses in all black in Munich could be connected. Well, time to check out the desk. Grace sees the copy of Gabriel’s novel and makes a snide comment about Gerde loving Gabriel because she's kind of a bitch, and then we can use the phone.
She calls a former professor of hers for some details on Kind Ludwig. He admits to not being an expert on German royalty, but promises to put her in touch with a colleague at the University of Berlin.

NEXT TIME: Let’s see if I can get Gerde to cry some more!!

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 28, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

grandalt posted:

You are sooo wrong :colbert: That game is amazing in most respects. Arguably better than the previous GK games, but this is something that comes up in the Adventure Games thread so often I don't know how to respond without repeating myself for the 50th time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:eng101: Manos Del Sol means "Hands of the Sun", sounds like a good monster hunter group name, not unlike the "Shadow Hunter" rank of the Ritters, no?

And while I'm giving quick translations, the book to the left of the werewolf book is titled "love and soul" in German.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Choco1980 posted:

:eng101: Manos Del Sol means "Hands of the Sun", sounds like a good monster hunter group name, not unlike the "Shadow Hunter" rank of the Ritters, no?

And while I'm giving quick translations, the book to the left of the werewolf book is titled "love and soul" in German.

Its "Leib und Seele" "Body and Soul", actually.

On another note, that handwriting is really annoying to read. It was such a pain to decipher, I just skimmed over most of the diary. Is there maybe some sort of text dump of this game you could access to give us a transcript?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

And More posted:

On another note, that handwriting is really annoying to read.

Plus, it is written in English when it shouldn't be. And it's not like Grace is translating on the fly, it is clear that she is not fluent in the language.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kopijeger posted:

Plus, it is written in English when it shouldn't be. And it's not like Grace is translating on the fly, it is clear that she is not fluent in the language.

Eh, the Ritters put a lot of effort into learning English. It's not unreasonable to assume that they would write in English as well.

That letter to the king on the other hand...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Schattenjaeger journals being written in English was already handwaved away last game, wasn't it?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

And More posted:

On another note, that handwriting is really annoying to read. It was such a pain to decipher, I just skimmed over most of the diary. Is there maybe some sort of text dump of this game you could access to give us a transcript?

Ugh, this. I don't have much practice reading cursive handwriting and it takes too drat long to read as is :saddowns:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

And More posted:

If you click on the pages, the text will be read aloud. Perhaps you could link from the pictures of the books to audio or video files of the readings.

Karupin
Feb 27, 2007

...and that whoever has this crystal ball gets the power to unite the world... Eh? I was tricked? Really!?

neongrey posted:

Schattenjaeger journals being written in English was already handwaved away last game, wasn't it?

It was waved away in the first book, too. In the book, when Gabriel reaches the library and starts reading the journals, he realizes that they're all written in English, 'like they knew he was coming.' Considering the Schattenjaeger family's ties to the supernatural, it's at least a suitable handwave.

No lie, GK2 is actually my favorite of the trilogy. I played GK1 later and squealed with joy when I got GK3 when it came out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Nidoking posted:

Perhaps you could link from the pictures of the books to audio or video files of the readings.

Not a bad idea, I'll set that up later on today.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Karupin posted:

It was waved away in the first book, too. In the book, when Gabriel reaches the library and starts reading the journals, he realizes that they're all written in English, 'like they knew he was coming.' Considering the Schattenjaeger family's ties to the supernatural, it's at least a suitable handwave.

No lie, GK2 is actually my favorite of the trilogy. I played GK1 later and squealed with joy when I got GK3 when it came out.

Yeah I have the book too. It's decent for what it is. I also played GK2 first, so this guy is my mental Gabriel Knight voice. I like the game a lot, really.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been playing GK2 again myself and coupled with reading some stuff about production on the wiki page has made me fonder of this game than I already was. I'm not sure if anything excuses Grace's outburst, but supposedly the expense of making this game meant they tried to cut costs in other ways, like giving actors only one or two takes per scene (and probably running a really tight shooting schedule that didn't give actors much room to breathe, either). It also mentions Dean Erickson consciously didn't even try to emulate Tim Curry's performance and just did his own thing, and had fun with it.

The acting and gameplay aren't great, but the writing is nice enough and the whole thing is just so drat charming. If only it'd been lucrative, we might've seen several more FMV Gabriel Knights that I would've happily bought.

I hope maybe some indie studio picks up this concept for an homage using current day technology some time. Filming is so much cheaper these days, and grounding everything in real locations adds a lot of depth.

edit: yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to keep the ball rolling on the GK3 talk, that's for when it gets its own LP thread.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 25, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I hope maybe some indie studio picks up this concept for an homage using current day technology some time. Filming is so much cheaper these days, and grounding everything in real locations adds a lot of depth.

I haven't been following development, like, at all, since I missed the Kickstarter, but I'm holding out high hopes for the new Tex Murphy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Gabriel Knight 3 though is nearly all-round terrible. The graphics, the dialogue, the voice acting, the gameplay. The story and some of the puzzles are pretty good. That is all.
People keep tempting me to contribute to this derail (which I arguably started :()

Can we wait until we finish 2 before we compare it to 1 and also wait until we at least start 3 before comparing it to the others?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really do like 2, as stated before the acting can laughable but the writing is still quality stuff and I like what Jane Jensen does with Bavarian history, but we'll find out about that in due time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xander77 posted:

People keep tempting me to contribute to this derail (which I arguably started :()

Can we wait until we finish 2 before we compare it to 1 and also wait until we at least start 3 before comparing it to the others?

Please.

• Locked thread