Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I sort of wonder about the thumbnails that show the facecammer somehow in the game, like this one:

I like to imagine them late at night, hunched over a stolen copy of Photoshop, crying into their Cheetos as they slowly adjust the layer mask, trying to get Mario's 3D sideburns aligned perfectly on their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Keep mind that it's all automatic. The other YouTube guy does not know this is happening. If you shoot them an email/YouTube PM, they're usually quite apologetic and will remove the claim.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought you only got the counter-claim option for takedowns, not for forced monetization.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
CafePress is a website where any idiot can upload a .png file and they automatically put it on a bunch of products like T-Shirts, thongs, and mugs. It's not like he called up a bunch of thong manufacturers to make this.

Did you know that I'M A BELIEBER and RESISTANCE IS FUTILE?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, seriously how do you break Portal 2, of all things!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoOjeFBqew

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They're a sketch comedy channel that got popular when they uploaded a video of somebody puking into a toilet and they remixed it into a song.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Content publishers often feel that they have the rights to any derivatives of their work, no matter how transformative. They wouldn't feel comfortable with a 50/50 deal. There was a case a while ago where there was a wedding video that went viral, and some barely-comprehensible song was playing in the background because somebody had the radio on.

EMI forced YouTube to send all monetization their way, and YouTube complied. EMI tried to argue in in court that their wedding video was not a fair use license, and hinged on the exact song used. They lost.

(I might have gotten the details wrong here, this was back in 2008 or so)

Your solution still doesn't solve the "this content isn't actually in the video" claim. Even if it's still a portion of the revenue, that doesn't make me feel any better that the money is going to some unnamed yahoo who signed up with Google first instead of the actual work's creator.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's not an excuse for his behavior, but if most of his income goes to charity, it means he isn't trying to crank out videos for money. Maybe for views/popularity, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
OK, I thought the claim was that most of his income goes to charity. No, I'm not going to do in-depth research about PewDiePie's financial statements.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I like your shirt!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

p4rgaming is basically The Onion for gaming but not nearly as funny. Maybe the funnyordie or collegehumor for gaming news.

The best joke is usually in the weekly poll.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Could be a Lua script or something. A lot of emulators have Lua scripting these days.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
VBA-RR does.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Use an IRC library, Admiral. Look at what I built for SGF.

(And seriously, just use a Lua script or something)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz05ne3nm8 flappy bird

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
make sure to watch in 720p

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

The discussion of LPs can indeed be applied to any hobby.

So let's assume Jeremiah Kitemaker makes a fantastic kite to show his kite enthusiasts. It's arguably the best kite ever made and everyone enjoys it.

Then one day, Andrew Kitesmith makes a kite that is considerably lower in quality. When he shows his kite to the kite enthusiasts, they get super mad because his kite isn't nearly as nice to look at as Jeremiah's. They actually argue and discuss the reasons as to why you shouldn't make 'ugly' kites. Andrew actually starts to feel bad about his kite; he just wanted people to see it and enjoy it with him.

Jock Jockson wanders by, hears the debate about kites and says "um you know they're just kites, right? maybe you should stop taking them so seriously"

Replace kites with LPs or pretty much any other hobby and you have the issue at hand. Everyone in this forum (for the most part, anyways) is going to enjoy LPing to some degree or we wouldn't post here. Some of us, though, think that arguing about bigbongblow420 on youtube's minecraft LP or about the inclusions of scarecams in the Sandcastle thread is pretty silly. At the end of the day, we're all making videos of video game gameplay. Just because not everyone really reaches for the level of quality ugh i can't finish this sentence because it sounds so goony jesus

DSP is a different matter entirely because he's an awful human being, it has nothing to do with his actual Let's Plays (which I am otherwise indifferent to)

Basically tl;dr arguing about LPs is pretty silly because the content matter is pretty dumb at the end of the day, this is just supposed to be having fun and showing games to people. god this is a lot of words

kites

This is less words than I was going to write to say "don't write so many words about LPs". So thanks.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Let's Play is tons of fun to discuss, and I'm open to discussing it. There's a big difference between fun discussion and angry nerds arguing about dumb things though.

and let's stop this extremely unintentionally hilarious meta-argument and re-route back to discussing about LP. I have a question.

I've seen of tons of random YouTube accounts "announce" that they're going to do an LP.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCm-kchsz4c

Usually it's them talking on webcam. I haven't watched any of them all the way through. My question: what the hell are they trying to achieve here?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

IceAgeComing posted:

this isn't tumblr

Well, why not?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
GBS is poo poo alright. General Bull poo poo! hahahaha

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Yyyyyyyoink.

I have never had ten minutes pass so slowly in all my life.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder what would happen if you put out a "we need to talk" video sternly telling people it's unacceptable, we don't condone it, and if you ever see death threats, report them to you, because it's incredibly childish, etc.

I think it might get the point across.

... but it's also the internet, so it's a scary proposition.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel like that's a bit too soft. It's completely unacceptable that people are sending death threats.

That's got to stop now. And if you don't stop it, it won't stop.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ah, OK. I didn't see Jordan's post, so I thought it was recent as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'd love to say that the connection in my mind from "retsupurae" to "lovely bootleg LPs" isn't racist, but goddamn it is. So I'm sorry for being a giant piece of racist garbage.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know a thing about how Reddit works; can you get banned/probated if you break rules there?

The only site-wide rule is that you can't helldump anyone. Subredditors set the tone for each subreddit, and they can ban people there.

But it's considered a giant piece of drama when you ban somebody, so not a lot of subreddits do it. Some subreddits, like /r/AskScience, try to enforce a specific tone and are a lot more strict, and will actively ban anybody for posting memes / jokes / whatever.

The quality in a place like /r/AskScience is a lot higher than /r/letsplay.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Subreddits can have wikis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/wiki/index

Subreddit moderators often put FAQs there, but it seems /r/letsplay doesn't have one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
how have you guys never seen the Let's Play Wiki before?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really like that you have Diabetus on speed dial. This will add a lot to my fan fiction.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

My favourite thing in this vein are the people who brag about donating to charity because it's tax deductible as if it's some huge selfless act, that just so happens to benefit yourself massively.

The purpose of making it tax-deductible is an incentive to get people to contribute to charities.

It's more money going to charities than would go otherwise. Though not all charities are great and use money responsibly, as I have learned the hard way...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just curious here, how much of his revenue does he give to charity? If it's around 60% then you could validly say he's not really LPing for money, since he takes what he needs to be sustainable, and passes the rest on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

All that said, I can't actually confirm the truth of any of this because I don't know Arin myself, but if it is true I would totally believe that his physical and emotional state is so far in the shitter that he literally can't do his own animating.

Thanks for the expert assessment, Dr. Buttass.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I subscribe to people I like and sometimes watch their videos when they upload a new one that interests me. I'm a corporate sell out, I know.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

It's called Not Doing It. But I imagine they do get much more likes by asking people to actually do it. I know I never remember to actually like videos I like on youtube, unless I'm favoriting them too.

In 2011 when YouTube was transitioning from "video upload place" to "replacement for TV" and they started their partner system, their award shows, they sent out emails to big partners saying "here's some cool tips to increase engagement: at the end of every video, ask your viewers to rate the video 5 stars and click the subscribe button if they liked it"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
stop hacking into my webcam, gatz

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

Who is valkhorn and why am I getting video adverts and promoted/featured videos from him. Also apparently he is perfect if I hate people who are bad at games, yet the advert shows him getting hit in a bunch of games.

lol did he really pay for YouTube ads?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
no don't

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, YouTube became profitable by going from a video upload site to a replacement for TV. They pushed hard signing content deals, building a partner system, etc. YouTube also has a huge content team in-house; they have four different internal production crews in New York, Chicago, Santa Ana, and San Francisco, around 100 people each.

It's a big enterprise.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the case of Maker, it's about resources and promotion. Have a good idea for a fancy video but don't have the means to do it in-house? Maker has production staff as well, and if you're a successful partner, they'll fly you out on their dime to make something incredible.

Also, I was phone posting before and had to go from memory. Turns out the YouTube production crews are in NY, LA, Tokyo and London.

Seriously, though, look at this:

quote:

Formerly the Howard Hughes Airport, YouTube Space LA is located in the Playa Vista area of Los Angeles and covers nearly 41,000 square feet. YouTube Space LA contains large production stages, green screens, cameras, lights, sound gear, electrical and grip equipment. We also offer post-production resources ranging from private editing suites to voice-over recording booths. It’s all available at no charge if your channel has at least 10,000 subscribers.

Slowbeef, next time you're in LA, you should schedule to go see the studios and perhaps make something there. They're quite impressive.

I'm not partnered with Fullscreen / Machinima myself, so I don't know, but based on comments, it mostly seems to be about having more access to special features at YouTube. Making sure that copyright stuff is handled appropriately, that ads are scheduled in place, etc.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
And now you know why people have those "THank you for the 10,000 subscribers!" videos :tipshat:

• Locked thread