Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Slowbeef posted:

There's a whole lot more to DSP than we talked about in our podcast. I based what I said on a video that Mighty Furtado had put out, but didn't know that level or detail, nor that DSP had gotten the Hauppage as any sort of response to Chip's video with me. Or mine with Chip. Or however you want to put that.

I know, Even since the first video you did about that guy he has become something of a Trainwreck fascination for me. The connection with your video and him switching over to direct capture is just speculation on my part really. Most of the details I got about the whole situation come from this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucF8k7a2oSQ

I think the idea behind custom image tumbnails is to create a more professional look thumbnail as opposed to just a random screenshot from the video. Most of the facecam poo poo is just part of the dumb trend that YouTube letsplayers buy into. Hopefully they'll grow out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's was just the one wierdo really. Still doesn't excuse him trying to do a hentai LP though. If I had to guess it was just some kid who wanted to find a way around the rule.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's both, YOG stands for Ye Old Goon.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ReturnOfFable posted:

Wait...your serious? Did he actually give away the box and not the game?

Yep, here's the proof.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SS9CeOb_LKA

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The real kicker is that Phil is a goddamn hoarder and has so much video game memorabilia that it's cluttering up his apartment.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzRibCaN6M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKDzRibCaN6M

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FinalGamer posted:

Now...jesus DSP is in his 30s?! Awwwwww that-aaaaawwwww that's just pathetically bad. Awww I can't handle this, I wanna move on now.

I know how you feel, I showed one This is how you DON'T play MGS2 to a friend of mine. He thought Phil was fourteen.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Roar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if his girlfriend is just part of his shtick because he is such an unpleasant person to be with.

No, he does have a girlfriend, she's about nineteen. From what I hear even Phil's hardcore fan hates her guts.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Boxturret posted:

One of the most baffling DSP things is in MGS3 every time Eva was on screen he constantly makes sex "jokes" but in MGS1 if Snake flirts with one of the female support team members he acts like Kojima is the most perverted person on the planet.

It's even worse, during the scene where Eva is mortally wounded he keeps it up and even sticks his hand in front of the camera and pantomines pinching her breasts.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

GeneralYeti posted:

Can somebody explain why he feels this irrational hatred towards Kojima? I mean, apparently one of the requirements for being a troll is liking Kojima's works.

During his LP of Metal Gear Solid 2 he got really frustrated when he tried to run and gun his way through the game, and his ego wouldn't permit him to blame himself for trying to run and gun a stealth game so he blamed Kojima. He then followed up his loving up on MGS 2 by loving up playing MGS3, it didn't help his attitude. Honestly, it's clear that he only plays game for money these day but I do have to wonder if he derives any real enjoyment from playing games anymore.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, I'd rather talk about that here anyways. Who know what diseases those GBS people have.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jamesman posted:

I know exactly where he lives. :(

Funnily enough, this information was made available through his fans, not the people that hate him. His critics know where to draw the line.

Okay here's what you need to do:
Go to his house when he's not home and tape a note to the do that just says "PLAY BAD RATS." Keep doing that for a month until he caves in and finally discovers what a bullshit game really is.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I actually watched a little bit of that, he says that the game is "supposedly" the third and final game in the trilogy, as if there is an off chance that Square Enix was doing some false advertising and the game is really a sequel to Brave Fencer Musashi.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He almost exclusively does New releases, he saves everything else for slow weeks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You do realize that it's a joke, right?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It is?
WHY?
:psypop:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Brassherald posted:

I think someone just hates SomethingAwful because there is also a Lowtax entry in the LPers that say to have everyone who made a Game Marker game send it to Lowtax and he will LP it. They are just sending the bad to us, I think.

The wiki was orginally found in his thread, there are a few changes on there that I added (the bit about ProtonJon and BillyMC.)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Someone linked me Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP and things just sort of spiraled from there.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Go back a few page.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He lost it four years ago and hasn't bothered looking since. He has no sympathy from me.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
"OH IT'S BECAUSE THEY EXPECT YOU TO BUY A loving STRATEGY GUIDE."

"Okay so now what?... ...Okay so the chat is telling me to start by sucking on her nipples.."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I also would like to point out that he also had played Kingdom Hearts. Which also figured the same character and they pronounced his name tee-dus there as well.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
... and that is why he needs a bodyguard at conventions.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I hate to be the one to turn the discussion back to Darksydephil but well:

loving SERIOUSLY?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
apparently after he did a tour of his new place he showed that he had his couch set up in kind of a weird way and people were commenting on it and that is how Phil chose to respond.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Some things DSP did recently:
He spent $3000 on a new gaming pc, and guess what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwEsnUYlmc

Also he played Devil May Cry 3 and exactly what you thought would happen happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWw3zmei8E

Phil misjudges the tone of a serious game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_HIhdX8saE

EDIT:
Phil makes absurd claims and plays the Silent Hills Playable Teaser and ragequits because he doesn't know what to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOa5ROKTRoM

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 21, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Just wait until you get to the white phosphorus scene and see Phil's response.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hey you know all those figurines that Phil absolutely had to spend about $5000 to bring with him from Connecticut?
Guess what?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Walkthrough part 3, eh? When does he get to the final boss, and what's the best strategy for my pro speedrun?

I should also mention that that part of the video is from a year ago before he moved to Washington, watch it to the end and keep in mind he paid I think $10000 to have them shipped to Washington.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Cangelosi posted:

Does that depend on whether or not he's dating someone at the time he makes the video?

No, what happened was that afterthe Adults React to Pewdiepie fiasco he promised to stop making rape "jokes," he wound up going back to them after a few months after things settled down.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

slowbeef posted:

So here's what I gathered.

DSP streams his stuff at a super high bitrate because he also gets to use the footage on YouTube too, right? To be fair, 6000 kbps can be fine for 1080p depending on the game (I actually find I need it for 720p on bullet hell games) but Twitch tells you to keep it at 3500kpbs because their servers have to eat that bandwidth from your upstream.

Twitch admin comes in and tells Phil to lower it. He complains a lot and decides to move to YouTube streaming. This pisses off some of his Twitch followers. His solution?

Use Twitch's chat room, but actually stream on YouTube. You can imagine Twitch is none too happy about being used as a chat server, so they remove his chat privilege. He complains more and moves entirely to YouTube streaming.

Later, behind the scenes on his mod forum, he posts a thread to his volunteer mods: "You guys aren't doing enough to help me." The mods stage a mass walkout, lock him out (temporarily) and his website is kinda down now.

Pretty much but from what I gathered, the mod walkout came first.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

IGgy IGsen posted:

Step 1: Be Darksyde Phil

Step 2: make your girlfriend (who is somehow worse than Darksydephil) a mod on your stream chat.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So I decided to check in with everyone's favorite youtube celberity and see what he's been doing lately and guess what?

He now has a patreon account.

DarkSydePhil posted:

I am a former competitive Street Fighter player who, in 2008, decided to goof around with a camera while playing video games. I inadvertently became an innovator of the YouTube gaming scene for my unedited, raw "full playthroughs" of the newest games. I now live stream daily on my gaming channel DSPGaming as well as do several other vlogging/creative series.

Of course withing hours of this going up the Sons of Kojima donated literally one dollar and apparently ruined what phil was going to do for everybody so he's not going to be doing those things anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHoZIJUOBI8

Also his forums are back up now.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 22, 2015

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
If I had fans I would call them inferior.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Leal posted:

I actually watched a few of the "This is how you don't play" videos recently and my god, the guy manages to find ways to fail that I didn't even know of. Did you know you can fail a mission in San Andreas by getting locked in a freezer with another NPC? I certainly didn't until nearly 11 years later.

I didn't know the fight against The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3 actually was timed until I watch This is How you Don't Play MGS3.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What I really find odd about DSP isn't that he's poo poo with his money, lots of people are poo poo with their money, hell Philip K. Dick was bad with his money and he is one of the greatest Science Fiction writers who ever lived.
It's that he has this weird compulsion to share everything he does with the internet, I mean we have videos of him taking his girlfriend to the zoo for her twenty first birthday, we have videos of his hotel room when he goes on trips, we even have videos of him showing off his new house when he moves he even does unboxing videos, not just of special collectors editions, but of just regular games that don't have special editions. what kind weird form of OCD is there that makes someone thing they have to record every aspect of his life? Seriously I would be suprised if he has hard drive full of videos that he recorded while he was sitting on the toilet. It's just insane.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

More videos, more views, more money.

You could say that, but I'm pretty sure that it goes beyond that like is some sort of psychological need he has to record every aspect of his goddamn life. I mean the videos I'm talking can't be getting that many views.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
My first LP was Genpei Turtle's LP of Metal Wolf Chaos. I just had to check out how crazy that game was for myself.

I also would love to see someone go back and do another LP of that game in HD.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Sounds like he's using this:
http://talklikewarrenellis.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Since this is more or less the de facto Retsupurae thread I would like to say That I'm honestly surprised that Slowbeef hasn't watched Supergreatfriends old LP of the game from way back when.

Also Slowbeef, if you are reading this do you plan on doing D2 and Enemy Zero? Those game are both even more bonkers than the first D.

• Locked thread