Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Season 3 at least gave us "Clear". Without a doubt the best episode since the Pilot. (Even Michonne and Carl were likable).

As for the Videogame being better written as the episodes, I'm sure everyone who played through them will agree with you.

Still I think there is hope for TWD : the most annoying characters are all dead (Dale, Lori, Andrea). We've got 3-dawg back with the group and they fired all the bad writers (who am I kidding?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, that's the one. By far the best episode of the series. (and I heard there are even some deleted scenes where he mentions he's keeping Duane "alive" feeding him dogs and stuff, but haven't found/seen those yet)

Maybe good to know that the writer of that episode has been appointed to be showrunner of Season 4.
On the other hand I don't think we will see Lennie James back this season, since he just starred in a new series as a lead role.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

warcrimes posted:

...who shall it be?

Carl entering puberty?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm sure someone here could compile you a list of must-see episodes (there are a couple of them).
"18 miles out", and "clear" come to mind.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
If they have been poking walkers through the fences for the past months at that rate without pause. Shouldn't there be like piles of rotting corpses all around the fence?

Do they dispose of the corpses in mass graves between waves? Do they burn the carcasses in big piles? Or is there some Magic Accellerated Decomposition going on overnight?

(I bet it's the MAD)

I liked the episode enough to make me wait for the next one.
Judging by the names of the next two episodes (Infected, Isolation) some other kind of epidemy could just well be the plot drive for the first half of this season.

Since the first death was a teenager, I suspect some form of Meningitis could be the most plausible and easily treatable (in a pre-apocalyptic world) disease.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well don't forget it is actually not Daryl's bike but Merle's. It even has some nazi symbol on it I read somewhere.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Not everything in those threads was bad though... the Black Highlander Rule was an amazing concept that added an extra sense of suspense whenever a new Black Character got introduced.
I do think the writers heard about it so they will change it just to annoy us.

Any goons playing Zombie extra's season 4 by the way? If so, make screenshots and post them with all additional info you can provide us.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Do you guys remember how big the zombie herd had grown before breaking through that flimsy wooden fence, the last or second to last episode of season 2?
Zombies must have gotten much stronger if only 3 to 4 rows manage to push over a prison fence.

Also we were right about that bloodshot eyed zombie that Rick spotted, he did mention it in the episode. What I do wonder is where did that zombie come from and die? It would be reasonable to assume that particular zombie only died "recently" (as in the past month or two) so there might still be plenty of other human settlements.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The above post exactly reflects why I *try* not to watch any shows anymore until the whole season has aired.

Unfortunately I fail far too often.

(on the bright side, I do have a two season Homeland Marathon scheduled for my next weekend off, yay)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I do admit Rick shooting the ZombiGirl in Episode 1 was a real shock to me. Not that the event itself shocked me, but I was amazed an American TV show dared to kill a child.

Watching Hollywood films there is hardly ever any real suspense when a child is in danger. They miraculously survive in 99% of the cases.

Why haven't we seen anyone ride a bike yet? It's a silent, relatively fast and non-fuel consuming form of transportation. (Was about to say its also ecological, but I suppose with all the industry stopping Earth must have its cleanest air in over a century after 2 years of Z-Apocalypse.)

Btw, there are far too few weeds in the streets, gardens... My garden looks like a Rainforest after two months if completely unattended, let alone 2 years!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
What I most liked about this last episode was the fact they didn't spend much time in the prison, but you had two different groups roaming the area in search for supplies, and stumbling on different situations.
That is what interests me the most about a zombie-apocalyptic world : to see what the world looks like and how other groups/people handle it.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I really like this season so far, but the less time at jail the better.

This.

Also most of the episodes that only focused on a small crew of the total cast were of so much better quality. (Clear, the one where Michonne got Carl an ugly statue, 8 miles out, and the last episode for example)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
No comic spoilers guys! Even if the show has already derailed from the comic for a long time, chances are they will be picking up ideas here and there. And I don't want MY IMMERSION to be ruined.

I would actually hate it if the whole Carol murder thing was just a cover up. The post-apocalyptic world is a whole different one than ours. They don't hesitate to finish of someone who has been bitten. I totally understand why Carol did what she allegedly has done.

I asked it twice so far in this thread, but alas no reaction. So I guess we won't have any Goon zombies featuring in Season 4 as an extra :shobon:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
That vet hospital was infested with Blood-eyed walkers. The "new threat". Does that mean those people died from this disease?
If so, I suppose these people only died recently as the disease seems to be something new.
And if that's true, how come a whole group of diseased people did not make use of the Vet School's pharmacy?

I was also thinking if the Zombie apocalypse would happen here in Europe, we'd be doomed. We don't have guns and ammo lying around in every house. Hasn't the NRA advertised yet for buying a gun in case of a Zombie Apocalypse?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Very well said. I also agree this is not yet another murder history. (or at least I really hope it isn't)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Once again I really loved the episode, the trend is I like all episodes where some exploration is done and where they show how civilization has crumbled.

No-one yet has mentioned the writings on the wall, which are very similar to post disaster landmarks where people write down stuff for their lost relatives.

Also right before the group of zombies noticed the Gov's happy family, I believe they were staring at some Zombie-distracting device. It even had some provocative text on it. Can anyone confirm (with a screenshot if possible)?

Also, Season 4 really has shown the coolest zombies so far:
-Beartrap Walker
-Intubiter
-Bathtub Zombie
-Grandma Skin-Eater

Their props department sure merits some credit.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
They have shown the episode's title on-screen multiple times so far.

Is this something they do every episode and I missed it, or is it random?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I actually also missed the fact that the Gov borrowed the name written on the barn :(

Best thing to do is actually watching the episode, read through 20 pages of forum, and then rewatch. (well, only the good episodes which thankfully have been plenty this season. Even if the remaining episodes are all poo poo I would still consider this season to be the best so far.)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Kind of funny we haven't had any significant Darryl screentime for about 3 episodes in a row, and people aren't flaming about it.

Imagine this would have happened one or two seasons ago.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Would they dare to postpone Darryl's reaction to post mid-season break? Or as the mid-season finale climax?

If yes, get out those pitchforks people.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
He mentioned he had been on the road "for months".

A beard like that can be grown in about 2-3 months I suppose... (though not by me, even if I wanted to)

Great catch on the Parrot, totally missed it. Must have been intentional.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My favourite part of the episode in fact was the opening sequence with him playing chess with the little girl with the intense music. I found it remarkably strong.

Adding to the list of favourite Season 4 Zombies :
-Bear Trap Zombie
-Bathtub Zombie
-Head-Split Zombie
-Intubator Zombie

New Additions:
-Mudfest Zombies
-Permadrowning Zombie

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Best part of last episode was the cold opening (many of them are indeed amazing) and when they went to the outhouse, discovering new places.

I kind of cringed at the golf scene. I know he was supposed to be totally wasted, but this was just annoying (watching this as a golfer myself).
Also, would YOU go fetch the balls you just hit when you run out? (during a Zombie Apocalypse that is)

(PS : On the other side, I totally LOVED the scene in SG-1 when Jack O'Neill took some golf shots through the Stargate, with the obvious smirk 'this must be some kind of record')

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
"That actor", Lennie James is brilliant. Give Jericho a chance if you really like him. His character also gets better as the story progresses.

IMDB doesn't list him as a guest actor for TWD S4, but I'd bet my hat on it we haven't seen the last of him when the series get renewed. (he will also probably die).
Does he appear in the comics at all?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
For some reason when I played TWD Season one I got 100% more horrified/hearthbeats/chills than watching the series.

I also have to point out I absolutely love the series.

I will be playing Season two on release day for sure, closed curtains and a bowl of Spaghetti-O's. (On Tuesday or Wednesday?)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
How much time was there between the Shane at the hospital flashback and Rick waking up anyway?
Even with an IV i don't think anyone could survive for longer than a week unattended.

A much more plausible way would have been that the "virus" immediately killed, then turned 90+% of the population, and that those who did not get sick and die (due to some immunity) just became carriers of the virus.
This theory is not possible though because of examples like the old people's home in Season 1. No reason they could all have been 'immune'

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Kasonic posted:

Sometimes its nice to take a step back and remember that the originator of the zombie genre was a magical necromantic radiation field from Venus.

Really? Was that the suspected cause from Night of the Living Dead? Or an even earlier film/novel?

Anyway "explaining" zombies is impossible anyway. Rage Virus sounds much more plausible to me, with the exception of the insanely quick infection/turning speed. The only problem with them is you cannot make a multi-year long series around them as those infected tend to die from starvation/exhaustion after about a month.

Now that I think of it, have Body Snatchers been mentioned anywhere in this thread yet? Those are cool and perfectly plausible: There is some real parasite that can "zombify" ants to make them suicide by climbing to the top of leaves, and lock their jaws in the leaves so some birds can eat them.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Kasonic posted:

You should check out the Last of Us, the best zombie twist since 28 Days Later.

I've seen and heard a lot of stuff about that game. drat you PS3 exclusive!
Just yesterday I saw a PS3 for sale bundled with The Last of US + GT6 for just 299. That was almost tempting for me.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
In Season 4 they clearly show they knife their deceased in the head after they die to prevent turning. I would suppose they also knew they should do this back in season two.

But if I recall correctly Dale died to a zombie anyway, so they knew he would turn.
More interesting would have been if someone had died to "natural" causes, and they would get buried before turning. This before Rick revealed "we're all infected".

So, how much longer till this horrible show starts airing again? I can't wait!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
So why haven't they included a scene like that in the series? That scene alone could have redeemed S2… (well, no I wouldn't)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Dienes posted:

It'd still be rotting there, presumably.

Not really an appetising subject, but actually that's pretty much just like a real world miscarriage... if it doesn't come out it will rot and pretty much poison the mother.

Let's drop this particular subject, it gives me the creeps.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I remember that to be a particularly bad plotline in an overall pretty bad show.

(still I found myself forced to watch just because I wanted drat answers, which when I finally got them didn't please me anyway)

:lost: :eng99:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I think it's sad since them we barely even had a look on those tattoo's. Bare-chested Darryl is probably something they feel the world is not yet prepared for.

(The real reason is off course the same reason we haven't seen the guy from Prison Break without long sleeves after the first season, since the tattoo as a plot device had become obsolete. I read somewhere it took over 3 hours to apply the decalcs)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I had no idea it was coming back this weekend. Great!
As mentioned above I fully agree. The episodes with a limited cast have pretty much all been of superior quality.

Seeing zombie Guv'nah would never have the same impact as Zombie Merle.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if his specialization in "science" was how to increase the yield of his next Meth batch.

Maybe some kind of drugs will do the trick? They do act on the brain don't they?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Who knows, his so called cure is probably not even a "cure" but more like a "solution". And if it works at all it will probably be very unorthodox and possibly unethical (if ethos still exists in a Zombocalypse).

Let's face it, there won't be a cure that magically makes the zombies back into their former selves. At best they will just stay dead. Another idea could be a vaccine that prevents you from turning (so just staying dead).

Fake edit : actually it can't be a vaccine since everyone is already infected, so a cure is a good word.

If anyone remembers the vaccine in Stargate Atlantis against Wraith Culling, that was pretty awesome.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
... and then in the last episode of Season 16 Rick finally wakes up from his coma, and it was all a dream...

You'll see...

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
And think of the Spinoff possibilities !

The Walking Dead : Miami, The Walking Dead : New York, The Walking Dead : Origins

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Props to the show for daring to do this plot twist. I'm also glad the news sites do not appear to be full of disgruntled shocked parent who condemn this sort of TV. Kids dying on TV is no longer taboo.

This wasn't pointless violence either (well it WAS pointless, but not pointless violence because there was... a point)but a really good example of a mentally sick person (child). And sometimes there is no way to rationally explain their behaviour.

Earlier someone asked if the reason they cut up the group like this was to save money. Indirectly I think episodes like these are cheaper, but mainly because they are faster to produce. Smaller teams lead to less waiting times.

Also hard to tell if the cast of a show is paid per episode, or per working day. I believe main cast, who feature in the credits without even appearing are definitely paid per season.
If you compare to Game of Thrones : They have multiple storylines and many actors haven't even met eachother on set. So they have different production crews doing their thing. This vastly increases shooting speed which is necessary to deliver a new series every year with that kind of production value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
That is what I liked most about Jericho : The USA got into this huge Post Nuclear Holocaust Civil War, and the rest of the world just decided to close all borders and let things run their course.
This was also something the cast/viewers learned about in season two.

Too bad they canceled it, but a very similar premise is happening in Under the Dome.

I really hope somewhere in the TWD universe large groups of people have managed to form "civilized" communities. Perhaps this won't be explored by Rick & Co but is more something for the Spinoff to explore.

• Locked thread