Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, listening to the samples on his website is blowing my mind after playing the game. I'm also fairly certain that I've heard his voice before, but it might also be the fact that I'm from the US and believe that all English voiceover people sound the same.

This is from ages ago but have you played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? He wasn't in it but dude sounds a LOT like Aleister Grout, the Malkavian Primogen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Played the demo. Humor was stupid. Not worth my money or time.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Doctor Butts posted:

You're a little late on this one dudebro.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Doctor Butts posted:

Congratulations on using the demo to get a taste for the game then making an informed decision on whether or not to purchase, I guess?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Read the post. Content was absent. Not worth anyone's effort or time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a different outcome if you actually play the baby game for 4 hours?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Requested_Username posted:

Yes.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Yes there is: http://youtu.be/m7GAtSIy4-w

Don't click that if you actually want to play the baby game for 4 hours.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, like ^^ said, but is it really worth doing? No. There's videos of it on Youtube if you're curious.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/18/dota-2-players-to-enjoy-newfound-futility-in-stanley-parable-ann/

Like it says, DOTA2 is getting a Narrator announcer pack.

I don't play DOTA2 and never will, but nice job. The rest of you all buy it.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Spaceking posted:

I could imagine the Narrator being good on something like Poker Night at the Inventory as the dealer.

drat, I was close.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

geri_khan posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/18/dota-2-players-to-enjoy-newfound-futility-in-stanley-parable-ann/

I told myself I wouldn't buy virtual items anymore, but I guess this is going to change all that.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
When Stanley came to a set of three open lanes, he entered the lane on his left.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Considering the shitfits dotes have over playing in the correct lanes, I hope that the announcer gives deliberately bad advice.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I almost finished the thought "this might get me to finally try one of those AoS/DoTA/LoL/HoN games", but instead I realized that I'd probably just watch a youtube video of the narration.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 19, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I thought the Rucks voice pack was something special, but this is even better :allears:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I really hope he's going to complain about the lack of a story in DOTA2 matches, and just come up with his own.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ditocoaf posted:

I almost finished the thought "this might get me to finally try one of those AoS/DoTA/LoL/HoN games", but instead I realized that I'd probably just watch a youtube video of the narration.

Same, I'm a bit wary of MOBAs, because all my friends just get really mad at me whenever we are in a convo and they are playing one. I've lost more than one friend to MOBA and the anger issues that rises with those games.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Same, I'm a bit wary of MOBAs, because all my friends just get really mad at me whenever we are in a convo and they are playing one. I've lost more than one friend to MOBA and the anger issues that rises with those games.

Yeah I have had issues with my completely normal friends turning into Jekyll/Hyde assholes as soon as a MOBA appears, its a tragedy really.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

I thought the Rucks voice pack was something special, but this is even better :allears:

I've got the Rucks announcer pack. I'm glad I was able to resist the temptation to shell out $14 for the GLaDOS announcer pack, because there's no way I'm not gonna buy this one, too.

Just take my money, Valve. Take every last goddamn cent and bleed me dry :negative:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So wait, MOBA stands for "multiplayer online battle arena"? That describes basically every online game involving more than one player fighting in a location. An astoundingly generic genre name, for a genre with a bunch of specific arbitrary fiddly things like "last hitting".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ditocoaf posted:

So wait, MOBA stands for "multiplayer online battle arena"? That describes basically every online game involving more than one player fighting in a location. An astoundingly generic genre name, for a genre with a bunch of specific arbitrary fiddly things like "last hitting".

The wringing of hands about the term "MOBA" has gone on for some time and we all know it's really loving stupid. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ditocoaf posted:

Blame Riot for that. It's an incredibly vague name that somehow stuck. I prefer the term "lane pushing game" myself, but hardly anyone else uses it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Delusibeta posted:

Blame Riot for that. It's an incredibly vague name that somehow stuck. I prefer the term "lane pushing game" myself, but hardly anyone else uses it.

I'm pretty sure Riot wasn't the originator of the term, though they definitely popularized it for the mass market. I could have sworn it came from some unrelated scumbag who tried to make a quick buck off of the whole Dota genre. For some reason, his acronym caught on with everyone else and that's where we are today.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The preferred term these days is actually LOMA, because they're all games about LOrds MAnagement.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

NmareBfly posted:

The preferred term these days is actually LOMA, because they're all games about LOrds MAnagement.

As someone who hears MOBA everywhere he goes and LOMA in just this one post I'm going to have to disagree.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

And that right there is probably why terms like MOBA stick around. Because "LOMA"/"Lords Management" doesn't make a bit of sense to me, as someone with no real familiarity with the genre. FPS? I'll probably be in a first person view and shooting things. MMORPG? It's a lot of people online, doing RPG stuff. MOBA? It's a bad term, but at least I know it's multiplayer and I'm fighting in some kind of constrained arena. LOMA? What is this I don't even

Really, you have one shot to come up with a better term and you pick one that makes even less sense? (I mean, not you personally, I'm sure you're a great person, I'm just speaking in general)

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.
LOMA is an idle thumbs joke, from the hit podcast Idle Thumbs

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

geri_khan posted:

I hate DOTA2 something fierce, but I might suffer through it with that announcer.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If I still played Dota 2 I would definitely get it (just like I bought Rucks's pack), but I gave up because I got sick of the shitlords. Fantastic game, terrible community.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

pandaK posted:

I'm pretty sure Riot wasn't the originator of the term, though they definitely popularized it for the mass market. I could have sworn it came from some unrelated scumbag who tried to make a quick buck off of the whole Dota genre. For some reason, his acronym caught on with everyone else and that's where we are today.

The originator of the term was HunteR_, a pedophile who was at the time busy scamming S2 out of money for fake tournaments

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Spaceking posted:

I really hope he's going to complain about the lack of a story in DOTA2 matches, and just come up with his own.

"Do you know how hard it is to narrate for this many people all at once? And then you went and killed one of them!"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

NmareBfly posted:

I think Hero Brawler was the term Blizzard used when describing Heartos of the Stwarm. Of course, there's also ASSFAGGOTS but that one never seemed to get much popularity. (Aeon of Strife Styled Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Internally I think of them as "AoS games", but I've found that people who actually play those games tend to think DoTA was the original, so instead I type "AoS/DoTA/LoL/HoN games" just to be needlessly thorough. I never played AoS either, but I'm aware that it's the first of these games that I purposefully avoided. This way, I get to be pettily superior-feeling twice at once!

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 20, 2013

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I don't appear to be able to install the demo now that I own the game. I actually began installing the demo yesterday then just decided to buy the game and cancelled it. Now that I've been told I should play the demo anyway, when I click the download demo link literally nothing happens. No message or anything.

I've found this where other people seem to be having the same issue, was wondering if anybody here has figured out a way to get the demo without creating a new steam account: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221910/discussions/0/648811852269628702/

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Internally I think of them as "AoS games", but I've found that people who actually play those games tend to think DoTA was the original, so instead I type "AoS/DoTA/LoL/HoN games" just to be needlessly thorough.
Everyone knows that the proper genre name is Aeon of Strife Style Fighting Arena Game.

ASSFAG :ssh:

I will be disappointed if there aren't specific reactions from the announcer. "When Sniper came to a set of three open lanes, he chose the lane on his left." *Sniper goes right* "This was not the correct lane to go, and Sniper knew it quite well. Maybe Sniper wanted to take a detour to the Secret Shop before the game gets going."

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

sighnoceros posted:

I don't appear to be able to install the demo now that I own the game. I actually began installing the demo yesterday then just decided to buy the game and cancelled it. Now that I've been told I should play the demo anyway, when I click the download demo link literally nothing happens. No message or anything.

I've found this where other people seem to be having the same issue, was wondering if anybody here has figured out a way to get the demo without creating a new steam account: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221910/discussions/0/648811852269628702/

I saw this was on sale yesterday so I downloaded the demo, and I loved it so much I immediately bought the game afterwards and noticed that the full game seemingly replaced the demo in my list of games. Maybe try uninstalling the full version and see if you can then install the demo? You should definitely play it, it's just as good, if not better, than the game itself.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
I don't think Steam's system was built with something like this in mind, where the demo of a game is as playable in its own right as the full game. It's probably impossible to have both, so yeah a throwaway Steam account will work.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
https://twitter.com/HelloCakebread/status/407991193817989120

He tweeted that the demo downloading issue has been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So I played the demo. The subtitles/full captions were extremely spotty at parts of the demo, how are the subtitles in the full game?

Given the amount of dialogue that appears in the demo that I had trouble understanding I'd rather not pick this up if the subtitles are as spotty as they were in the demo.

Edit: Received a response from #steamgoons: subtitles are fine in full game.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 29, 2013

• Locked thread