Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have the opposite problem. I'm going to be playing through this game with a blind buddy of mine and I think I'll have to pause it once in a while to describe the visuals over what the Narrator's saying. Hope that doesn't break it up too much for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Late to the party! Got this on sale over Christmas. Booting up the demo now, hope it was worth the hype.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bum the Sad posted:

Late to the party! Got this on sale over Christmas. Booting up the demo now, hope it was worth the hype.

The demo and the game are very different so definitely play both

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Playing the main game and I'm ready to stab this game already.

I burned a baby, played minecraft and portal and then roamed some halls and the game reset

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The best ending is gotten by going right, left, then down, in that order. if you want to get to the best stuff quick.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Sardonik posted:

The best ending is gotten by going right, left, then down, in that order. if you want to get to the best stuff quick.

The confusion one?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Bum the Sad posted:

The confusion one?

Yes, very much so.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That part is best played with subtitles on, just for the use of the trademark symbol.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's so many little touches in the subtitles for this game. If any game ought to be played with subtitles, it's this one.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Eh, subtitles still tend to ruin comedic timing. There're some great little touches in TSP's, but they just partly make up for what you're losing. If you need the subtitles anyway, TSP makes it awesome, but otherwise I'd reccomend playing without them, first time through. You can come back for them on a repeat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I can only play this game for an hour or else motion sickness gets to me. The same thing happened to me when watching a friend play Portal. It's awful

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

I can only play this game for an hour or else motion sickness gets to me. The same thing happened to me when watching a friend play Portal. It's awful

I'm pretty sure you can increase the FOV in the options, try that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I'm pretty sure you can increase the FOV in the options, try that.

I might look into that. I can play Anti-Chamber just fine fwiw, but that might be because of how little there is for me to get motion sick from.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's beautiful.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQy0MJE5E2o

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Well that was the best thing I've seen in a while.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

In the name of Christ Jesus, indeed. :stare:

I dunno if this was linked when it was relevant, but I saw it only just recently and found it to be quite a good read: http://www.galactic-cafe.com/2014/02/game-of-the-year/

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rock, Paper, Shotgun had an AMAZING interview with Wreden and Pugh. It actually gets painfully personal, pretty heavy, so bear with the author as he narrates the context more than you might expect. link

In lighter news: here's a brief teaser clip for the DOTA voice pack. I'm not much into Team Lane ARPGs, but I'm definitely looking forward to watching youtube videos of this in action.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 14, 2014

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I bought The Stanley Parable on a whim since it was 50% off on Steam this past weekend. It's completely wonderful and meets all the high praise I've heard about it. :)

Ditocoaf posted:

In lighter news: here's a brief teaser clip for the DOTA voice pack.

Ah, Kevan Brighting. What an adorably unlikely nerd crush. :allears:

I wonder if the Stanley Parable is good or bad for his career? Apparentlly he read an audiobook of The Holy Qur'an Just listen to the preview samples and try to put it out of you mind that maybe he's hiding sinister intentions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ema Nymton posted:

I bought The Stanley Parable on a whim since it was 50% off on Steam this past weekend. It's completely wonderful and meets all the high praise I've heard about it. :)

Ah, Kevan Brighting. What an adorably unlikely nerd crush. :allears:

I wonder if the Stanley Parable is good or bad for his career? Apparentlly he read an audiobook of The Holy Qur'an Just listen to the preview samples and try to put it out of you mind that maybe he's hiding sinister intentions.

Bastion Narrator vs. Stanley Narrator. FIGHT!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Yes, I'm bumping this thread, but it's for a good reason...

Ema Nymton posted:

Ditto... I bought it back when it was on sale after hearing it's supposed to be good and just got done playing for 1.5 hours (which is about .5 hours longer than a couple days ago, which I think is way longer than I would've given it if it didn't have all of it's charm) just to find as many endings as I could as well as trying to get that drat speed run achievement. :argh: Seriously though, it seems like every time I play I find something that makes me think, "Oh, let me check that out" and end up finding a totally different path with a set of different endings.

Quick very spoilery question, though... Is the ending where Stanley shuts down the mind control computer and escapes the "real" ending like the game seems to suggest? Also, something else very spoilery, but I got a big kick out of the Minecraft/Portal ending where you rate the narrator's unfinished game 1/5 two times in a row. The next time I play, I'll see what happens when I give it a 5/5.

VVV Gotcha! That makes sense since (spoilered to be safe) some of the endings seem to contradict each other from what I've seen so far. Thanks! :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 29, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Obeast posted:

Quick very spoilery question, though... Is the ending where Stanley shuts down the mind control computer and escapes the "real" ending like the game seems to suggest?
All endings are equally "real". The ending you describe is the one that actually finishes the story that the narrator wants to tell you, which is special. But some other endings might feel more important, and some other endings might feel more meta, and some other endings might feel more final.

The fact that an achievement triggers for the most basic ending is partially a joke, kinda.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there is no real ending, because that would contradict everything the game is about. Beginnings.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Oddly enough, there was an ending I kind of considered the "real" ending back in the original mod, but they relocated and retooled it such that I really don't think you could call it that anymore.

I'm talking about the crusher/"museum" ending. In the original you didn't have the museum bit and you got to it by following the furthest possible fork away from the narrator's intended story, so the female narrator imploring you to end the game and then a black screen that went on until you did was the last thing I saw and felt appropriate as a conclusion. Now it's much closer to the narrator's ending, which meant I didn't run into it last and restarted the game after it instead of exiting, which I would say undermined it a little but actually I'm pretty sure it just reinforced the point.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 29, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Obeast posted:

Is the ending where Stanley shuts down the mind control computer and escapes the "real" ending like the game seems to suggest?

It's supposed to feel unfulfilling and ironic because the narrator congratulates you on escaping conformity when you've done so by following all his instructions to a T. It's a good perspective to weigh the other paths against but I wouldn't call it the "real ending".

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Time Dissolver posted:

It's supposed to feel unfulfilling and ironic because the narrator congratulates you on escaping conformity when you've done so by following all his instructions to a T. It's a good perspective to weigh the other paths against but I wouldn't call it the "real ending".

On the other hand, all the other endings involve some combination of isolation, destruction, death, and insanity to either the player or narrator characters. I would argue that it is the happiest possible ending for both the player and narrator.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm talking about the crusher/"museum" ending. In the original you didn't have the museum bit and you got to it by following the furthest possible fork away from the narrator's intended story, so the female narrator imploring you to end the game and then a black screen that went on until you did was the last thing I saw and felt appropriate as a conclusion. Now it's much closer to the narrator's ending, which meant I didn't run into it last and restarted the game after it instead of exiting, which I would say undermined it a little but actually I'm pretty sure it just reinforced the point.

It kinda wrapped the game for me, if you did everything beforehand then got that ending and quit when she asks you to do so. Of course, you can't tie it up for good, but would be my favorite way to do a playthrough if you are going to play only once.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I personally think the escape pod ending is the "real" one, because it's the perfect culmination of "we'll never really know what the gently caress" that this game captures to perfectly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Unlucky7 posted:

On the other hand, all the other endings involve some combination of isolation, destruction, death, and insanity to either the player or narrator characters. I would argue that it is the happiest possible ending for both the player and narrator.

Maybe it's the best ending for Stanley, but I think the best ending for the Player is the "You're Not Stanley After All" ending, where you "break" the game by thinking outside the box, and the game ends with you outside the boundaries of the game space. Stanley remains simply a pawn and you're still you, watching the credits.

I think the "Real Ending" is probably the worst ending for the Player, personally. Doubly so if it's the first one they get.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The game's ending takes place far outside of bytes and lines of code.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

All other endings point to that ending and laugh at you for thinking that'd be the end though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Obviously the best ending is the art ending.

With the broom closet ending a close second.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think you mean boom closet.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

ambushsabre posted:

I personally think the escape pod ending is the "real" one, because it's the perfect culmination of "we'll never really know what the gently caress" that this game captures to perfectly.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Time Dissolver posted:

i feel the mod did that one better, since as stanley walks out, he keeps telling you how stanley has to feel about his freedom, how stanley has to feel about what happeed and ends with "Stanley was free"

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArfJason posted:

i feel the mod did that one better, since as stanley walks out, he keeps telling you how stanley has to feel about his freedom, how stanley has to feel about what happeed and ends with "Stanley was free"

Maybe the creator felt that was too on the nose.

• Locked thread