Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
What the hell did I just play? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MadScientistWorking posted:

What the hell did I just play? :stare:

You played a demo about a demo about a demo AND THEN YOU WON CONGRATULATIONS! Unreliable narrators are great.

Seriously though, I saw the original mod on youtube and was laughing like crazy, but figured they wouldn't add so much content for this new version. Just based on the Demo alone, I was very, very wrong. Buying the hell out of this game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Loved how mind screwy the original was, and demo for this updated version certainly delivers on that. This will probably be a day one purchase. :signings:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Did anyone else notice Gunpoint and what looked like Kentucky Route Zero in the "Great Demos" display.
That other game is Limits and Demonstrations, another excellent standalone demo like this one.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Man I loved the original Stanley Parable, I'm stoked for this. I got to meet the creator at PAX and he was a super nice guy who was really eager to talk to his fans.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I really hope the 8 button is in the main game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That other game is Limits and Demonstrations, another excellent standalone demo like this one.
Ahhh looks like the same style. I wasn't sure because I can't remember KR0 having a demo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What makes those games great demos? MGS2 is obvious because of the fact that it kept Raiden so well under wraps, and I imagine Half Life is just there because Half Life, but what about Gunpoint and Other Thing? Just namedrops?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Ahhh looks like the same style. I wasn't sure because I can't remember KR0 having a demo.
Limits and Demonstrations is basically a demo in the way The Stanley Parable's demo is a demo: it doesn't use content from the game itself but it gives you an idea of what the game is like.

Meme Emulator posted:

What makes those games great demos? MGS2 is obvious because of the fact that it kept Raiden so well under wraps, and I imagine Half Life is just there because Half Life, but what about Gunpoint and Other Thing? Just namedrops?
I haven't played Gunpoint's demo, but Limits and Demonstrations is excellent both for the reason I mentioned above (it doesn't repeat anything in the main game, so basically it's all new content that everyone can enjoy) and because it's just a tremendous game on its own.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Limits and Demonstrations is basically a demo in the way The Stanley Parable's demo is a demo: it doesn't use content from the game itself but it gives you an idea of what the game is like.

Exact same thing with the Half-Life demo actually, so I guess that's the common theme with the mural.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Gunpoint demo actually shows you through the first couple of levels from the actual game but the way it wraps up the demo ... well, you should just go try it out. All I'll say is that one of the strengths of Gunpoint is in the writing.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Meme Emulator posted:

I have no idea what Other Thing is but this might be a reason why Gunpoint was included.

Tom Francis posted:

It also means I can afford to keep being nice. I didn’t let anyone pay for Gunpoint until I was ready to put a free demo out, so everyone would have a way to make sure it ran OK on their system and that they liked it before giving me any money.

I was informed by lots of people with industry experience that this is commercial idiocy: you want to hold it back so that excited fans buy without trying, then you can release the demo later to tempt those who weren’t convinced. And with some (not all), you get weird responses if you bring up non-money factors in a business conversation.

“You’ll lose sales this way!”
“From people who don’t really like it? I think I want to lose those sales.”
“No, you don’t understand. You’ll have less sales.“

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I just played the Gunpoint demo and it seems like stuff that was in the main game, so I dunno.

e;fb sort of

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm a huge fan of Game Grumps, so this game wasn't really on my radar (I've heard of the original mod, but haven't looked much into it. I think I watched the Yogscast play it once) so I had no idea there was a full game being made. The fact that the creators of the game made personalized demos for Steam Train (and apparently other shows) is really cool of them. In their video during the part where everything is all messed up before going into the isolation chamber, the narrator goes "goddamnit Ross!" which is a running joke on their show and that got a good laugh out of me. The game is definitely on my radar now :)

Also the guy doing the narration is absolutely fantastic

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 13, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I just played the Gunpoint demo and it seems like stuff that was in the main game, so I dunno.

e;fb sort of

Apparently there's some sort of fun stuff if you played the demo and then buy the full game after.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I was bored today and wanted to test some YouTube streaming stuff, so I did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VztNv2A4KZg

Mostly to see how long people would watch. Turns out, a long long time. The last 10 minutes were pretty fun.

Edit: To clarify I didn't actually sit down and click the 8 button for an hour. It's a looping video. I just started the video and did some house cleaning.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 13, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Half-Life's demo was a new mission made specifically for the demo called Uplink. You can grab it as a mod for modern HL1 here.

Gunpoint's demo was the first few missions from the full game, but it ended in an amusing way that similarly made fun of demos.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I'd like to buy it, but my demo still has the problem I mentioned before where it automatically closes itself when i hit the "the end" room I don't want to risk money buying something that may do the same thing, robbing me of 90+% of the content.

If they fix that bug I may consider buying it.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Welp, this one's most likely a buy. Off beat humor and an amusing narrator - if it's $10 or under it should be worth it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I played the demo and meh, seems kinda crap. When it asks you about mistakes really the only thing I thought of was "downloading and then not stopping playing this". It feels like they are trying too hard.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It felt like I was watching Look Around You but then somewhere along the way the narrator lost his mind.

Moreso.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I played the demo and meh, seems kinda crap. When it asks you about mistakes really the only thing I thought of was "downloading and then not stopping playing this". It feels like they are trying too hard.

I really liked it but I got the Trying Too Hard feel in the elevator segment. Yes, I get it, youre exaggerating.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Here's my view on the ending.

The player - the person at the keyboard - is a character. For me, that character's reactions were 'what the hell stop reminiscing', 'what the hell that didn't happen', 'aaaaa why isn't what you're describing happening letmeoutlemeout' and finally 'oh god this is the intended reaction i'm doing exactly what the creators want'. And it all fit and it all just worked.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Meme Emulator posted:

I really liked it but I got the Trying Too Hard feel in the elevator segment. Yes, I get it, youre exaggerating.
It's not exaggeration, it's the dissonance between what is being described (ostensibly something you experienced) and what you actually experienced. As the gap grows larger and larger, and your desire to have actually experienced this stuff grows larger and larger (reinforced by the fact that the game has flashed you to these things thus far, suggesting you'll actually end up outside), the tension builds until finally, it's released in a classic ironic reversal - you end up in a dour office then get kicked to the black title screen. It's the contrast between the aching beauty and poignant sense of freedom and choice described by the narrator and the actual case, which is being stuck in the office that the game proper starts off in. The original mod, and presumably the new game, is largely about the illusion of choice in games and how we're told we get to make decisions and have experiences when in reality what we get is just a railroad we're shoved down by game designers. The narrator loves to lord it over us when we play this game, and the ending of the demo is a perfect example of this. Precisely what makes the narrator's description appealing is how much it talks about freedom, so when the end result is being stuck in a loving office, it's a perfect example of the statement the game constantly makes, which is that no matter how free a game tells you you are for making your choices, you're always ultimately trapped.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This game strikes me as something for people who loved Portal 1&2, but didn't like it when those icky puzzles got in the way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Noticed the most obvious shared traits amongst these games, did you?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Always wait for your number and listen to the narrator flip out at how you are wasting his loving time. Also play the 8 game forever.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

a classic ironic reversal - you end up in a dour office then get kicked to the black title screen.

It's even better/worse if you've played the original Stanley Parable, because you'd even though it's all-new, you'd recognize it instantly and get a feeling of hopelessness and dread.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 13, 2013

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I wonder if the staircase was a reference to the SCP-087 game.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Meme Emulator posted:

No that's legitimately what I thought. I was expecting something amazing after all the people saying how great it is but there's nothing at all there to be amazed by. Really the only clever bit is the start where it tricks you into thinking you are looking at a loading screen.

Everything else after that felt like they were trying too hard.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I liked the original, and I thought the super-glitchy main room after you try to 'evaluate' the demo was neat, but other than that it definitely did feel like it was too much.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Also the guy doing the narration is absolutely fantastic

At the same time I agree that the Narrator is indeed absolutely fantastic, I kind of wish they had somehow gotten Stephen Fry involved for the remake, because that's exactly the voice the Narrator's aiming for, but then again, getting a Big Name involved is expensive and the proper Narrator is brilliant as it is, but Stephen Fry.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

No that's legitimately what I thought. I was expecting something amazing after all the people saying how great it is but there's nothing at all there to be amazed by. Really the only clever bit is the start where it tricks you into thinking you are looking at a loading screen.

Everything else after that felt like they were trying too hard.

Wait.

Is this some kind of meta-trolling where you ironically state a transparently contrairian criticism of 'trying to hard' about the game by pretending to be a goon trying too hard to be contrarian?

I thought I had stopped the demo. gently caress! *Starts Dancing*

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 13, 2013

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

At the same time I agree that the Narrator is indeed absolutely fantastic, I kind of wish they had somehow gotten Stephen Fry involved for the remake, because that's exactly the voice the Narrator's aiming for, but then again, getting a Big Name involved is expensive and the proper Narrator is brilliant as it is, but Stephen Fry.

I've actually always got the impression that he is emulating the original voice of the Hitchhiker's Giude from the radio series. Yes, I know Fry played the Guide in the movie and at the start of the demo when he goes "Hello hello hello" it sounds an awful lot like the start of an episode of QI but when he has his more sinister line deliveries the HHGttG vibes come across in spades.

Oh Stanley. You didn't just shut off the reactor, did you?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Stephen Fry is busy voicing Little Big Planet.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Berk Berkly posted:

Wait.

Is this some kind of meta-trolling where you ironically state a transparently contrairian criticism of 'trying to hard' about the game by pretending to be a goon trying too hard to be contrarian?

I thought I had stopped the demo. gently caress! *Starts Dancing*

Poe's law is in full effect in this thread. It is impossible to tell whether posters are being sincere, ironic, post ironic, or just playing along or all of the above, or nothing. It will only get worse the second the game actually gets released. This game is to gamers what insufferable performance is to liberal arts students. No one knows if anyone is serious or not and is constantly toeing the line between real and meta. It's madness.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The demo, at least, basically hangs on the narration (and how doing different things like lingering in the waiting room or mashing EIGHT! ad nauseam gets different responses) and the narration is very good.

It may just be taking the piss out of poo poo like Dear Esther, as well.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

In a surprise twist, Stanley's parent are divorcing and his sister is a lesbian runaway.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

The Deadly Hume posted:

The demo, at least, basically hangs on the narration (and how doing different things like lingering in the waiting room or mashing EIGHT! ad nauseam gets different responses) and the narration is very good.

It takes the piss out of games, gaming and gamers in general. It's basically meta commentary on the whole industry. Specifically, the demo rips on demos, linearity and perceived freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

The emotion booths were definitely a knock on Dear Esther.

Dear Esther is great and this game is also great.

edit: anyone who thinks this game is too self-important or tryhard or whatever is more than welcome to watch this elegant response.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 14, 2013

• Locked thread