Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The rev3games custom copy video is the best, especially for the apology moment, where Adam's response sounds like the deadpan of a character from a Tim Schafer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Doom Goon posted:

Here's a vid of it for those of us that uninstalled it already.

Edit: Oh, are those of the demo? I've been skipping them because I assumed they were early preview copies instead. I'll have to go check them out.

And boy is it ever a demo... :stare:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The Stanely Parable: An emperor's nudist colony.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If you played any of the original stanely parable without the narrator's audio, it would be a very boring and pointless half life 2 map.

The mod is pretty much about the power of clever writing and audio imparting meaning where there is none - and mocking itself for it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The real magic of the game comes out in how the players will react to the narrator though, I think.

In some games when playing through their narratives for the first time, players will sometimes even start 'acting' a little in the game to get in the spirit of it all. For example, me mouselook-nodding to Alyx in half-life 2. (Something that portal 2 somewhat 'trains' the player to get in the spirit of very early on too.)

The stanely parable's real magic comes out when the player is actively participating in the narration as if they were part of the 'joke.' You can see some of that coming out in Adam Sessler's playthrough where he starts actually playing off the unexpected 4th wall breaking humor of what's happening. I also experienced it when I played through the original mod and was reacting to and talking back to the narrator.

Knowing this, I fully expect that even going into the new game, I will forget myself at times and start talking back to the narrator or other things. Partly out of purposeful fun, but also partly out of not being able to help myself - no doubt caught offguard by whatever new experiences are in store.

On that note, one of the most fun experiences I had in any game was in coop portal 2 where myself and my buddy were talking back to Glados - which makes me hope eventually that she might respond to player mic chat or other things in a Stanely Parable ish way in future coop iterations of the series.

Anyway, this illusion is broken on multiple playthroughs, but the original stanely parable was good at cleverly extending its lifespan with multiple pathways and a plot about controlling the player to a narrative.

Oh there are plenty of other games that I have this feeling in - but most of them are shooters or some other genre. Generally revolving around combat, but also puzzle-solving rarities or adventure game stuff. Stanely parable is just pure narrative - the suspension of disbelief itself on parade, and feels like the removal of the 'middleman' of all that annoying combat or puzzle-solving that gets in the way of a compelling narrative.

On that note: If say, bioshock infinite had drastically toned down its combat so it was rare and more based on key story events (brief intense struggles that have a huge story impact and visceral feel rather than a 'gamey game' fight arena shooter area - think more in the vein of what walking dead did) with everything revolving around the narrative of the world, I think it would have potentially been more compelling than it was - the combat at times gets in the way of the world, and feels like it was put in there as halfassed sugar coating. (Instead of connecting us to a violent world, it hampered the experience at times with 'gamey game' situations, such as putting a key antagonist behind magic bulletproof glass so it can spew its narrative at a player who normally has free agency to shoot anything that moves.) This is also why the 'return to rapture' DLC interests me, as the first part is supposed to be non-combat and all narrative with some adventure gaming ish things. I actually think future bioshock-ish games with strong narratives could benefit from such an approach.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 16, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It might be because it's free.

We'll see though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I give this game an 8 out of 8.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

For anyone interested in playing other games with great 4th wall breaking fuckery with the player that are devilishly well-written, Harlan Ellison's game "I have no mouth and I must scream" went up on steam this week apparently: http://store.steampowered.com/app/245390/?snr=1_4_4__tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC_1

It's bar none one of the best written games ever made and is one of those 'needs to be played by anyone interested even slightly in games as an art' landmark titles.

It also bears a lot of narrative similarities to aspects of the Stanley Parable - especially its primary narrator's tyranny over the player.

This intro really should do the convincing for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-88h-LcTk

This game even to this day is remarkably ahead of its time. The questions and challenges it poses to the player have the layered complexity of a really dense novel.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Unsurprisingly, pretty much all the bad user reviews for this game are filled with horrible grammar and spelling errors.

So 'people who don't read books' hate this game.

Case in point:

quote:

I7aTP0H

I really don't get this game. It was quite entertaining when I first played it, but it got boring very soon. It's just missing the core element games must have FUN. I don't care if there's interesting story, or good voice acting of narrator as long this game is no fun. Replaying same bits over and over just to find different solution is annoying and boring. So, don't believe them critics, who see masterpiece in this beautifully crafted but utterly boring creation.

Also, I really dislike the anti-intellectual attitude that everything which tries to be clever is pretentious and therefore not worth your time. That attitude itself is pretentious and will prevent people from trying out things they aren't used to, or even seeing what might be worthwhile in something high-minded even if it might or might not be successful. It also makes the mistake of confusing storytelling cliches and conventional structure or tropes of media with what valid storytelling is at its core - the worst example of this is people whose vocabulary of movies is based entirely around comparing them to high budget blockbuster action films. We see the same thing happen in every media, especially games.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 21, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I have to say though, I think this game successfully pissed off all the right people.

I.E. WTF I DONT GET IT ITS JUST A BORING NARRATOR NARRATING AND I GOT ALL THE ENDINGS AND THERE'S NO REPLAY VALUE 0/10 TO BRING DOWN THE METACRITIC SCORE :downs:

Guess what, lovely metacritic user reviewers: This game exists to piss people like you off. You aren't "getting it" because you are the punchline to the joke. In fact, your reaction to the game is part of the overall entertainment value of the game for the rest of us.

Have a nice day.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Phobophilia posted:

I have gotten the message from it. And it is to stop playing so many loving videogames.

Unfortunately if you stop, that's when the narrator comes to scold you in real life.

• Locked thread