Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Main Paineframe posted:

The NSA having more intel on Americans and Europeans is understandable since they're a lot easier to spy on, but in that case the NSA's number one priority would be expected to be trying to find ways to gather any info at all on enemy countries - if they've got big holes in the surveillance net for basically every foreign entity we're opposed to, and they don't consider that to be as important as skimming our Facebook profiles and our phone conversations, then that casts serious doubt on the "national security" justification for surveillance.
In Eastern germany the Stasi did exactly what the NSA is doing right now. Only they still had to do it manually and the people in charge where willing to use the results openly.

Have fun america, good times ahead :tipshat:

Nektu fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Radish posted:

The glass faq answer where they equivocate their "Explorers" to people with cell phones in respect to videotaping ability is beyond disingenuous. I guarantee that people that don't have a problem with cell phones being around suddenly would if some jackass was walking around with it up to his face in the same way as if he was taking photos or video instead of having it in his pocket.
Oh god. This is the perfect way to draw attention to the issue :laugh:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Main Paineframe posted:

What I mean is that they could already be doing that with phones.
Regarding phones: ukraine's government used mobile phones to identify the participants of the first protests during the current rebellion.

Leave them at home when you go and protest against your government.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't see how anyone can draw parallels between Ukrainian protests and American protests. The "hey we noticed you at an illegal protest :)" texts were the product of a regime unwilling to use massive force against the protestors and hoping they could scare people into staying home.

If something like the barricades and firebombs had happened in the US, the gas and bullets would not stop flying until police had retaken the streets, and half the country would be cheering the police on.
I didn't want to compare the ukranian situation to america. Mobile phones just offer a simple and automatic way to link people to places at a certain time. And a automatically generated "took part in a government critical rally" is a nice entry for the NSA dossier that may or may not exist about you.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

shrike82 posted:

Snowden just appeared on tv with Putin in a PR stunt. I think it's a hilarious move by Putin but I don't get why Snowden would want to align himself with Putin in such a clear cut manner.
So, you mean he has a choice? If putin throws him out, the US will get to him in days...

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well, I think it's time to close the thread. The NSA has been rehabilitated, as over half of Americans view the NSA favorably, and only seniors view it more unfavorably than favorably. Millennials are the most approving, with 3 in 5 approving of the job the agency is doing.
Goodbye free world, you will be missed.

Warcabbit posted:

This will have no negative effect on people's bank accounts.
... and B2B communication. How the gently caress can a crypto-ban even work without hurting businesses?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 31, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You're missing the point.

So tell me, why should anyone trust American technology when our own information security agency doesn't give a drat about making sure Americans aren't the targets of criminals, terrorists, and foreign governments? If they disclose these exploits to the companies that make the hardware and software, they protect Americans. But if I'm doing something sensitive, I have zero reason to trust that my computer, right now, is not completely owned by the NSA. This could mean journalists (imagine if they deployed this against journalists working on stories about the NSA), protesters and organizers, and researchers who are doing nothing illegal could very well end up targets of very focused malware campaigns by either the US government or anyone who might have an interest in it. If the NSA disclosed these exploits, they'd be doing more to protect the US than using it to break a few centrifuges.
The Snowden-Documents contained an internal presentation from GCHQ that listed potential targets for nation-internal surveillance:

• terrorists
  • journalists (especially investigative journalists)

Yeayea, its not america, but the difference has become neglectable. Imagine the outcome of watergate if nixon had an intelligence apparatus with the potential of the NSA.
This kind of surveillance is not (only) a military weapon like a stealth bomber.

Arent you muricans big on that whole "we are armed in order to be able to fight our government if they go bad" thing? Well, with surveillance of the kind that the NSA can muster, that approach is ancient history.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I mean, there's also the "maybe our moral scruples ought to keep us from doing this kind of thing," but just look at how dangerous this is.
Hahahaha.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 18, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

hakimashou posted:

Anyway, is the NSA an intelligence /counterintelligence agency or is their role and responsibility to do pen testing and find software bugs?
Add "internal security" to that list. Since the NSA is also spying on each and every american citizen (to find terrorists) it seems appropriate.

hakimashou posted:

Life has become incredibly transparent because of technology, and people need to consider whether privacy means "no one can see what I'm doing" or "even if people can see what I'm doing, my right to privacy means they can't do anything to me because of it."
Considering that there is apparently no working democratic overwatch over NSA activities, how can you be sure that "they can't do anything to me because of it"?

hakimashou posted:

Privacy cant and wont consist of 'nobody can see what I do.' The world has already gotten incredibly transparent, and its probably only going to get more transparent. Privacy is going to have to consist of "someone can see, but it it's none of their business so who cares."
This is retarded. There will always be confidential matters that will hurt you/your business if they find their way to the wrong ears. Consider the NSAs application as a tool for economic espionage in that context, or maybe medical conditions that you dont want to be generally known.

hakimashou posted:

The real story isnt the shock value peeping tom "somebody at the NSA looked at a picture of my girlfriend" thing, its that in all the time the NSA has had these capabilities, there haven't been serious abuses, we haven't turned into the Soviet Union.
Irrelevant. In the long run democracies can only work if they are based on a separation of power that prevents it from turning into something else. Using "but we are the good guys" as an argument is naive in the best case and plainly retarded in the worst case.

You also cannot know if there were smaller scale abuses - those would never come out (if they would even be recognized inside the NSA (their internal security was not that good considering the heap of stuff snowden was able to take)).

Nektu fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 19, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Tezzor posted:

Maybe I am a lawyer, a journalist, a political candidate, a political official, a doctor, an activist, a businessperson, the employee of a foreign company in competition with a US firm, someone in a position of access with something embarrassing to be blackmailed over to be compelled to flip and become an informant, or someone else who has a legitimate and legal interest in not giving the NSA access to their communications.
Or maybe an activist for ACLU - those guys/gals are practically terrorists in the eyes of american security agencies it seems.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

A Man With A Plan posted:

I feel the important thing to remember is that the agencies aren't evil entities unto themselves - they're made out of regular people. And unless you think the largest employer in Maryland (NSA) is entirely staffed by Orwellian thugs out to crush your freedoms, it's hard to assume that they don't care about freedom of speech, living in a good country, and whatever else just as much as you.
"Regular people" do horrible poo poo all the time. And if history shows one thing, it is that any deed at all, even ones that are far, far more terrible than sitting on a computer and (illegally) collecting data about some guy you dont know and dont care about can be rationalised with a very simple "its not my fault, im just following orders". And we havent even started talking about esprit de corps or ideology.

Oh hey, look what someone posted right above you:

Zombywuf posted:

As for why anyone should care about privacy, in the UK various branches of the Intelligence services have been linked to covering up the ongoing VIP child abuse scandal. Including one ex head of MI6 being an active paedophile. This is literally a think-of-the-children response, members of the Intelligence services have used their powers to groom children and others have covered it up. Interesting that one of the things GCHQ does is delete billing data to cover up their activities.

hakimashou posted:

At some point we have to come to grips with the fact that in the real world no one actually cares.

And that, kids, is privacy in the modern world.
I'm curious: how do you imagine that world to be?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 20, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

It's a lot of words he pulled entirely out of his rear end, and is wrong on almost every count. NSA draws heavily from the military enlisted and local state schools like UMD, UMBC, Penn State, and a few tech schools like VTech and RIT. Any good sized CS program will have a cybersecurity specialization or something.
Why do you think he is wrong?

This here:
"Which brings us to the last point, structural advancement. Ideology, education, background, money and/or crushing debt keeps the entry-level employees relatively homogenous and in line, but as with any large organization advancement is not a pure meritocracy and certainly not an ethical meritocracy. The higher you go the more positions are occupied by true believers and cynical careerists, sometimes both in the same person."

is absolutely true for any large organisation.

Right, but I don't think anyone here is super concerned about the nsa's linguistic/bureaucratic staff, however good they might be.
That distinction is arbitrary. Large organisations do absolutely have a life of their own, their own goals, their own self-defense reactions. The people filling the holes are all replaceable and only matter so much.

The structure as a whole matters, not the people that are bound into it (even more if the punishment for betraying that structure is if not "death" than certainly "you will lose your life").

Zombywuf posted:

Personally I think the only way it's going to stop is when the situation gets so bad people rise up as one and collect some loving heads, and that time is a long way off - probably not within our lifetimes.
I doubt it. "Rising up as one" requires communication, and if the NSA is good at one thing, its finding out about stuff like that beforehand. But one thing is true: should the democratic control mechanisms fail to keep this surveillance apparatus in check, only something very big will be able to remove them again. And I do sincerely hope that im no longer alive when that poo poo goes down.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 22, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Not-really-but-maybe related to the topic:

Princeton study shows that america is no longer a democracy (but shows characteristics of an oligarchy that have been increasing over the last few decades).

And here an interview with the researchers in which they explain in more detail what they are saying:

Interview

quote:

Given your findings, what do you make of the great sense of persecution that people at the top appear to feel in recent years? Is there a phenomenon you came by that speaks to this, and does that perpetuate the cycle of policy moving in their direction?

It's certainly not something our study or data has addressed. But it's part of an effort to defend, in the face of growing inequality, their advantages and wealth.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 26, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Are you a member of the intelligence community? Did you see something that you cannot forget? Do you start to realize that the system you are serving is chipping away at democracy every hour of every day? Do you feel stuck and have no idea about what to do and about how to get out?

Help is here: https://www.intelexit.org/en

Also, the Intercept did another Snowden document release:

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/28/death-athens-rogue-nsa-operation

The TLDR is somehting like this: The NSA went to greece on the invitation of the greece government to provide security during the 2004 olympics. To do that, they installed bugs into the greece mobile phone system and monitored the whole phone traffic of greece for the duration of the games.Afterwards, they disabled the bugs and went home.

Or so the greece government was told. Instead the system remained in place and was activated again shortly after the NSA supposedly left the country and was later used to monitor around 100 people from the greek government and their families.

The bug was later discovered which turned into a big political scandal at the time (note that back then it was unknown that the bug was actually a leftover from the NSA operations during the olympics - that only came to light recently).

The article also describes the strange suicide of a greek vodaphone technician. Now, a decade later, that murder is part of a case that lead to an international arrest warrant on the CIA official William George Basil who was supposedly involved into the whole operation. Also note that all that took place in an (supposedly) allied country which is a member of NATO.

quote:

The Intercept, along with the Greek newspaper Kathimerini, interviewed over two dozen people familiar with the wiretapping case, ranging from U.S. intelligence officials and Greek government officials to those involved in the investigation and its aftermath. Many of those interviewed agreed to talk on condition that their names not be used, fearing criminal prosecution for speaking on intelligence matters or professional retribution. While some questions remain, the evidence points to a massive illegal eavesdropping program that may have led to Costas’ tragic death.

Ah well, read the article, they go into far more details. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Seriously, I have no loving clue what america has been turning into this last decade, but you people should take a good hard look at yourselves. Because poo poo like that will turn sour earlier or later.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 29, 2015

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Trabisnikof posted:

You're going to be horrified when you learn what we did in the '90s, '80s, '70s, '60s, '50s, etc.

Spying on the greek leaders (and every cellphone) is quite an improvement from supporting the military junta.
You and I may have a different definition of the term "ally". Attacking them is kinda bad form.

But you are of course right regarding the actions during the cold war. Still, there is an objective and a subjective side to that.

The subjective side is that when I grew up, america was always seen, well, as the champion of freedom and democracy (mostly in contrast to the USSR obviously). By now it sadly became obvious that that was a far to naive assessment that needs to be re-evaluated and that "friendship" with the US is a kinda abusive relationship.

There may also be a cultural difference at play: here in germany the were multiple occasions where a combination of policeforce and intelligence service (like the FBI nowadays) did alot of damage (the gestapo during the 3rd reich and the Stasi in eastern germany). For that reason police and intelligence are strictly separated here.

Now, I dont want to liken the FBI to the stasi/gestapo (that would be kinda dumb). However the infrastructure that has been build up in america is one that would make even the worst nazi/eastern bloc service very, very proud (and jealous).

To repeat myself: im talking about the infrastructure only! I dont at all think that the people working at NSA/FBI have anything in common with some gestapo officer.

But just wait till the next nixon is sitting in the white house and starts looking for creative ways to get rid of a few pesky journalists - I mean how often does some intelligence official get the chance to do the sitting president a personal favour?

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Still, further evidence for the theory that people continue to see satire as something to emulate, rather than taking the hint that if you do that you might just be batshit crazy.
NSA advertisement:

I say be done with it and just rename it to the "ministry of love".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
lol

Those people would fit in very well in russia or china.

• Locked thread