Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yet another reason Feinstein is the worst senator. I hope she gets Alzheimer's assuming she doesn't have it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
He is correct that it is functionally a meaningless difference. People get put on lists for metadata even if the ACTUAL data was harmless. If I had called Osama Bin Laden the day before the SEAL raid, and said "oops sorry wrong number" then hung up, I'd probably be on a no-fly list at very the least. Either way the data is immaterial as far as investigation and trial evidence is concerned, if they have already pegged you as a person of interest, which again is based on metadata.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

the posted:

What I'm wondering is, for the average middle-class person in America, is it even possible to live a normal life and not be surveyed constantly?

Using e-mail, cellphones, and social networks are practically an indispensable way of life for most people in America, but it seems like the only way to avoid having all of your data grabbed is to live in a bunker and communicate through TOR (which didn't I read was broken recently or something?).

No. It has been fairly difficult to escape observation even in the late 90's these days it is actually impossible, but complacency etc means that as long as you are keep your head down, you (probably) won't end up disappeared, and if you do, well I guess you were just unlucky. Nothing we can do right? Lets just keep voting for people like Feinstein because we are loving idiot sheep and think that she is somehow better than an 'other'.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So, you're arguing we shouldn't investigate people who call Osama bin Laden because some of those calls might be accidental?

Transparency is all I'm asking for, but ideally no, we shouldn't be criminalizing someone for who they associate with.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Calling Osama bin Laden shouldn't automatically make you a criminal, no, but you're insane if you think it shouldn't make you a criminal suspect.
Suspect or not, Being put on a no-fly list with secret justification and no way to challenge is a problem.

Remember you become a suspect and are pre-judged guilty based on the metadata, nothing else.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fojar38 posted:

I'm not sure why. None of us are privy as to why they're doing it, and assuming that it's for "economic imperialism pursuant to American hegemony" seems to be based on precisely as much information as saying "it's because there was a national security threat that required tapping the phone lines of German politicians including the Chancellor."

That being said, I don't really see why it can't be justified with national security. Are heads of state automatically off limits for being monitored? If not, which ones are okay and which one's aren't? If they aren't allowed to be monitored then that's a pretty huge hole in intelligence operations particularly involving exceptionally unstable borderline failed states. When discussing international intelligence operations you should go in assuming that everyone is spying on literally everyone they possibly can. That's how the game has been played since modern intelligence became a thing at the turn of the 20th century. I personally find people expressing indignation over the fact that the US is in fact spying on people to be naive at best and dangerous at worst.

And if all this is coming from Snowden documents, I fail to see how it meshes with the whole "We're defenders of civil liberties" drum that he and his supporters have been beating if the majority of his leaks from this point onward are obviously only leaked to sow discord amongst its allies and flip the bird at the US.

You've created a false dichotomy. There is nothing necessary about spying on anyone. The cold war is over, the future of the human race isn't at stake anymore.

Give me one scenario, however outlandish you want make it, that would justify the current American intelligence industry. In short, WHY is the NSA justified spying on ANYONE?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In your Tom Clancy scenario, you are making the mistake of assuming that the NSA ISN'T the shadowy organization. Why do you assume that the US Government has your best interests at heart? Or that any individual has put the "stability" of the US above their personal short-term gain? Politicians have repeatedly demonstrated they are selfish and do what they do because they are paid to, why would the NSA be different?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 24, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The NSA ISN'T a nation, it is an organization that is hiding it's actions from the democractic representatives of this nation, and further, that organization is made of individual's of varying accountability, and precious little oversight. We can only trust it's intentions are what it says they are. But, without transparency, there can be no trust. Keith Alexander might as well declare martial law "for our own protection" of course, and rebuke anyone who doubts him with the same nebulous claims of "national security."

As for US Hegemony being preferable or even approaching Utilitarianism I suggest you take an Ethics 101 class as well as learn some Post WW2 US History.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why is it classified that the NSA is spying on citizens? We all know it is true, and merely 10 years ago you were considered crazy if you thought the government was spying on you, now it is taken for granted, and yet the NSA still doesn't even admit to it?

Give me the metadata of what the NSA is collecting.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Clandestine spying on internet communications has actually been occurring since at least 1997 (that was when the technical ability was installed), and phone communications before that. But it was extremely limited in scope, and the ability to only collect metadata with short retention made it a non-issue.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There is a huge difference between trying to put stuff back into pandora's box, and actively collecting information about the citizenry then keeping all that information secret.

One is a fairly benign, but ultimately futile endeavor, the other is the stuff dystopian nightmares are composed of, nothing is worth that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In the meantime, the NSA will still have a permanent presence in the COs and Exchanges of Verizon, ATT, Comcast, Timewarner, Sprint etc. etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i am harry posted:

We also have these sort of surveillance systems being sold. As I look out of the door-window of my second floor apartment into one of the many parking lots of this lovely "gated community" I cannot help but envision a time in the not to distant future when places like this become "gated corporate compounds" with their own behavior rules, security force, and the occasional knock on the door or email from the office that my online movements or expressed thoughts are a concern as they do not fit in line with encouraged group-think of the neighborhood.
Is that an unreasonable vision?

You can always leave those. You can't leave the US Sphere of influence.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hakimashou posted:

In all honesty, that's just an issue of looking at things in a twisted way.

Unless you are somehow insulated from the economy and from politics, you're frankly wrong.

Not acknowledging your personal connection to the state and fortunes of our country doesn't make the connection go away.

We don't get to pick our family or our talents any more than we get to pick which country we're born into, and yet the lottery of birth picks for us a set of privileged relationships which we aren't wrong to prioritize and value.

Given the horrible choice between saving the life of our own child, friend, or brother over a stranger, we don't count a man wrong for picking what he does.

In just the same way, we inherit a connection to our own country and people that privileges it against others.

This is why I domt think it is wrong to be pleased when our country triumphs over its adversaries.

Agreed. "America, right or wrong, America."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quote:

And admittedly, from a certain perspective it would be in the FBI's interest to hold evidence of US lawmaker's wrong doing
And what value would that have to the public? Because having knowledge of wrong-doing but using it to coerce/black-male is called corruption and is a strong argument for the abolishion of non-public law-enforcement/government activities.

A Man With A Plan posted:

And unless you think the largest employer in Maryland (NSA) is entirely staffed by Orwellian thugs out to crush your freedoms, it's hard to assume that they don't care about freedom of speech, living in a good country, and whatever else just as much as you.

It's selection bias. People who feel that the NSA has overstepped it's legal authority and do not accept it's trade-off, like me, aren't going to be working at the NSA. People who would be right at home in 1984, are more likely to apply and be accepted. So no, they don't care about freedom of speech nearly as much as I do.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Encryption isn't binary. Given infinite time all encryption is useless. But just because we don't possess perfect encryption doesn't mean that it is all worthless. The nsa still has finite storage and finite resources. Thus unless you are using a trivial "encryption "method Like ROT13 or something stupid, there is value in the average person clicking the "encrypt" button in WhatsApp. Even better if the encrypt button was default, and didn't depend on a central server for encryption to begin with.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Its Miller Time posted:

I had a quick question I was wondering about recently. If I, a normal person, called up my friend Joe and said "Joe I just murdered Jeff", if the government wanted too could they get a copy of that call for court?

Probably. 20 year's ago the answer was probably not. Progress.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Salt Fish posted:

You're making GBS threads on people who want to make the Internet more secure and your entire argument boils down to encryption not being a panacea that perfectly solves every security and privacy issue related to the internet. If your goal isn't to troll/derail, what exactly is your goal? What solutions are you proposing? None as far as I can tell.

Perhaps he is more interested in policy solutions limiting the NSA etc, so that they can't (legally) press "CTRL-C and copy the internet". Encryption is a good thing, but not a solution to the problem of state surveillance.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sectoidman posted:

I'd like to point out that a properly-implemented one-time pad is mathematically unbreakable without the key, even with infinite time.

A one-time pad isn't encryption any more then giving your friend a USB drive is. It's a substitution cypher, and it's useless for two-way communication and completely academic in any discussion about securing two-way communications.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Salt Fish posted:

This is exactly saying "dont bother locking your doors, a criminal will just break the window and jump into your house." We all understand that there are a variety of ways that information leaks out of your control. Everyone here understands that. The existance of other security vulnerabilities that affect the internet doesn't have anything to do with the desirability of universal encryption. Nobody has the goal of perfect security because that is impossible by definition.

"Locking your doors" is actually an apt analogy because it is pointless for solving the problem of being robbed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

That isn't accurate. Locking your doors will not stop a robber determined to break into a specific house but burglars prefer an easy targets if they are targeting an area instead of an individual.

Sorry I meant it's pointless for solving the Social problem of robbery and the cause of it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zombywuf posted:

And what I'm trying to get at is what exactly you mean by that, why do you consider it a problem? If it's purely the principle of the thing then the only recourse is to completely dismantle the NSA. Good luck with that.

You are really dumb.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I haven't looked at Signal's code but there is no reason that even in the inevitably flawed implementation, that all past conversations would have to be compromised. Perfect Forward Secrecy works and has been standard for a long time in internet communications.

I doubt Signal is using a single key for all sessions forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zombywuf posted:

And what I'm trying to get at is what exactly you mean by that, why do you consider it a problem? If it's purely the principle of the thing then the only recourse is to completely dismantle the NSA. Good luck with that.

Why would that be a problem indeed....

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/fbis-suicide-letter-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-and-dangers-unchecked-surveillance

Oh..

• Locked thread