Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Mega Manectric looks like something a dachshund would wear for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just beat the E4 after 35 hours of loving around. My team was level goddam 75 and it was a breeze.

Team was:
Helioptile (Heliod) - Modest/Dry Skin
Toxicroak (Vile) - Brave/Dry Skin
Gourgheist (Boomer) - Serious/Pickup
Talonflame (Rawkhawk) - Adamant/Flame Body
Alakhazam (traded, no name) - Modest/Inner Focus
Aerodactyl (Baron) - Adamant/Rock Head

The upgrades to tech this gen are amazing, its the little touches that make the game so much better. Idle animations, kinetic poke animations (toxicroak is amazing), trainer customization... Its amazing.

On top if that, all of the online options are astounding. I wasted hours in wonder trade and GTS.

If I were to give a tip - have a strong poison poke and a strong fighting poke and something that can learn Glimmer Beam. Carried me through the game.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Internet Kraken posted:

We don't need no mega stones!

Anyways, some of you might be interested in the fact that my friend safari has :byodood:DITTO:byodood:. Add me if you need to catch them since the other Ditto guy is full; 3625 8651 6138

EDIT: Also Carbink is a boss. Everyone that hates on him can get out.

I'd like to get in in these dittos too - i'll give you the PokeRus to boot.

Balon
2294-4680-8035

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Champeenship posted:

Since more people are noting interest in Imposter Dittos in this thread than the PGS one, I've got some in my Safari:

FC: 5155-3015-9458
In-Game: Hopper

Just reply and I'll put you down.

Added, I'll infect you with my pokevirus is you add me back!

Balon
2294-4680-8035

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Agh! Help!

I set my clock 12 hours behind when I started the game last week because I know I'd be able to play at 8am more than 8pm - so right now it's 8pm in my game and I'm hunting Mega Stones. However, I can't flipping see them! I know where they are and where to look, but I'm having no luck seeing them - am I missing something? Did I miss the mega stone upgrade? Does that only happen with a complete Pokedex? What am I doing wrong??

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I can't seem to get my style up in Lumiose - I can get in to the boutique and buy stuff, but the price on Mega Stones won't go below $100,000 and Mr Bonding won't give me hatching power. I've done everything in the city, eaten st every restaurant except the High Roller Sushi place, but still the price won't go down.

What do I need to do?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

horriblePencilist posted:

Is there a way to determine how much style you have?

The quickest way to tell is to visit the guy in the stone shop and see what he's selling Mega Stones for. 10k? Max style.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

So I'm throwing together an In-game rain team (or at least the core of one) and realized only after doing all the training for my Lotad that Leech Seed has to be bred on to him. Should I hatch another or is there a different move that would work well for him?

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Calm, Rain Dish
Scald (Maybe surf)
Rain Dance
Giga Drain
???? (Leech seed)

The rest of the team:

Vaporeon@??? (could use suggestions for item)
Modest, Hydration
Rest
Wish
Ice Beam
Surf (Scald?)

Ampharos@Ampharosite
Modest
Thunder
Signal Beam
Power Gem
???

This is the first gimmick-type team I've tried to put together so any suggestions on what to change/add or fill the last three slots with are more than welcome.

I just trained up an in-game doubles Rain team:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Modest, Drizzle
Hypnosis
Surf
Psychic
Ice Beam

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Adamant, Dry Skin
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch
Poison Jab
Taunt

Heliolisk @ Wide Lens
Modest, Dry Skin
Thunder
Hyper Beam
Focus Blast
Thunder Wave

Gyrados @ Gyradosite
Adamant, Intimidate
Ice Fang
Aqua Tail
Payback
Dragon Dance

Got through the normal doubles without a single issue. Gyrados is the weakest link on the team, believe it or not. If the team doesn't get OHKO'd they're going to regain 50% plus of their health.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man I must not be doing this chain fishing thing right because I've had several 50+ chains and not seen a shiny yet.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bruceski posted:

250 with no shiny is my record, it's more common than purely in the wild, but folks saying "30 catches are so" are getting a skewed result from reporting bias.

Oops, sorry to be one of those guys immediately after you responded:

About 15 in to a new chain.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

pandaK posted:

Where does Mr. Bonding spawn for the last hatching power?

Fly to lower Lumiose, it's the cafe next door to the poke center. Cafe Introvert.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Chainfishing is the best thing!

Shiny Poliwag is pretty underwhelming though:

Same can be said for Poliwhirl:

Poliwrath on the other hand:

AMAZING.

Gonna name her Rash. I've already got a trained Toxicroak and Politoed, gotta train up a modest protean Froakie for a doubles team in honor of Poke-France.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Isn't she ADORABLE?!

e: this chain fishing this is going to be the death of me. Is poke-radar chaining just as easy this gen? If so... oh no!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Donald Duck posted:

I'm working on trying to complete my Pokedex and its taking me ages to level up Pokemon to get them to evolve. What are people using to grind EXP? Ideally I'd like to be able to just use my level 75 Noivern + 5 low level Pokemon so I can level as many of them at a time as possible.

From level 1 with same-trainer pokemon the E4 + Champion will get an average 'mon to level 34 or 36, which is enough to evolve most non-dragon guys. Use the EXP O-Power and try to get two members out of each use (I can usually get water and fire in one go - the other two are a little tougher). Level 1 EXP O-Power can be used 4 times usually, while level 2 I usually go Water+Fire, Dragon, Champion. Screw Winstrom.

I usually run then E4 with one or two guys and level 4 at a time. I have like 4 'mon at 100 already.

My prefered two are:

Heliolisk @ Amulet Coin
Modest w/ Dry Skin
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Hyperbeam
Thunderwave

Alakhazam @ Alakhazite
Modest w/ Sync.
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam
Recover

Heliolisk can take out the entire water trainer and half of the steel trainer on his own. Also deals with Pyroar, Talonflame and Hawlucha. Al takes care of literally everything else while the little guys soak XP.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sandwolf posted:

What is "chain fishing"?

They snuck a new and super-reliable method to getting (fishing-available Pokemon) shinies.

1, get a Pokemon with suction cups (Inkay, Octillery)
2, find a spot in the water that is surrounded on 3 sides with non-water
3, fish that spot, with the same rod, doing nothing else, repeatedly
4, you can get different Pokemon and run from all the non-shinies (I recommend a Smoke Ball on your suction cupper) but as long as you keep successfully hooking fish your chance for a shiny goes through the roof.

I've caught 3 shinies in the course of 12 or so hours (not continuous) using this method. If you don't get one in 30 or so steady chains find another spot.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

kharaa posted:

80 fishing chain, no shiny :negative:

Find a different spot. If my chain gets over 30 I move on. 3 shinies and counting.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You can run from the fights? I thought that would reset it, like with chains.

You can run from them - highly recommended you do.

Rirse posted:

Do you need to use the Pokeradar for this? I tried using it on the water and near the shore, but get the annoying message from Mom saying you can't use the item here.

No need to use the radar while fishing. Just cast the line repeatedly.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Public service announcement: please keep all hands away from the business end of a Sharpedo.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Also, for anyone wondering how to get "stylish" enough to get the final O-Power: Log in to the Pokemon Global Link and access your profile. If you achieve the "Lumiosian" medal you can get the Hatching O-Power.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've got over 6,000 Pokemiles - does anything better than Rare Candies and PP Ups unlock? The lotto is basically an unlimited source of PP Ups already.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you have a ton of medals you can buy master balls for 7500. The number of medals you need is absurd though.

I have 73 medals and 6,700 miles - how many do you need?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I made a weird little physical Protean Greninja build that's I'm using in the Battle Institute/Mansion to great effect:

Greninja@Spooky Plate
Protean
Adamant
31/31/X/X/X/31
6HP/252Atk/252Spd

Shadow Sneak
Fling
Acrobatics
Earthquake

4 moves with 5 immunities - not something you can get with a Special Greninja. The set take a lot of prediction and is very fun when you negate multiple attacks in a row by switching types. He's not terribly bulky so if you take some neutral hits you'll go down in a turn or two, but I've had some rad stories from this little guy.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Took a 4IV NidoranM (31/31/X/X/31/31) with Hustle and turned it in to a 5IV (31/X/31/31/31/31) Modest with Hustle. I think I'm getting the hang of this breeding for IVs thing!

Now to take an Adamant 3IV Sneasel (31/X/31/31/X/X) with Pickpocket and turn it in to a 5IV (31/31/31/X/31/31) Adamant with Pickpocket!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Why don't my Froakie and Frogadier like each other much? Make babies faster. :mad:

They've got the same OT. This makes a difference!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Is there a place where I can see all the gen VI pokemon animations? I like that there are some pokemon that are constantly moving, and hate how static others are.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

nippon nifties posted:

Try breeding a good Sheer Force Nidoking hahahahahshsjwkwbwk :unsmigghh:

I just bred a 5IV Modest NidoM and it was a nailbiter as I was hoping it would be a boy the whole time.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If I have 2 pokemon with identical 5IV spreads (31/31/31/31/X/31) is it impossible for their children to be anything but that spread?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

notthegoatseguy posted:

If you don't use the Destiny Knot, a Pokemon only inherits 3 IVs from its parents and the other 3 are randomized.

I thought a Pokemon inherits 3 IVs from each parent! I've got an everstone on one of the parents and the knot on the other.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just bred my first 6IV 'mon - an Adamant, Anticipation Eevee! Even if it won't make the best battler at least it'll prove good breeding stock now!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Does an Illuminate poke in your first slot increase your chances for a Shiny? Should I be cruising the Friend Zone with a dead Illumise in my 1st slot?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Voltin Bolt posted:

I've been catching all of mine in the friend safari, I've found about 14 so far. It's seriously broken in there.

Is there a trick to it? I've spent 2 hours cycling around with an Illuminate lead and Encounter Power 2 and not found anything in the safaris yet.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Say I want to make a Jerk-Muk - a Toxic Staller Wall just because I like his animations this gen. What would a good general-purpose 4th move be in this set?

Muk @ Black Sludge
Stench

Infestation
Toxic
Rest
???

He can learn power-up punch to deal with steel types, would that work in the set?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you put Minimize on him, I hope terrible things happen to you.

Also, I'd put an actual attack on him so as not to get owned by Taunt

Infestation is a real attack!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is bulletproof even that good? It protects against Sludge Bomb and what else?

Sludge bomb, seed bomb, magnet bomb, bullet seed, oktazooka, and some more I think I'm forgetting.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The important thing that no one has asked yet is "how awesome does Darmanitan look in X/Y?"

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just bred my second ever 6IV mon - a brand new Darumaka!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Millions posted:

Man your battle stations, Pokémon TCG is coming to iPad
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/15/pokemon-trading-card-game-ipad/

This is the greatest thing ever. I hope it's exactly like the old Gameboy game but with updated visuals and cards (updated cards not necessary).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Welp, started up Alpha Saph with the intention of doing a WonderLocke run and got a Shiny Torchic. Guess I'm keeping this one!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Skinny and wide awake.

Snorelacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Where can I get a team skull chain/charm? That thing is dope.

• Locked thread