Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Crosscontaminant posted:

Oh man that's pretty cool.

I love everything.

How many megas does this make now? 25? Plus there's five more from the 'trademark leak' who have yet to appear (Latios/Latios, Jynx, Scizor, Houndoom)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Crosscontaminant posted:

THE SKY IS FALLING.

There are plenty of Fire moves with 15 PP. Fire Fang has 15 PP.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Crosscontaminant posted:

Houndoom is another cross-pollination Mega Evolution - it's X-exclusive but Houndoominite is only found in Y.

Okay, Literally Satan might have a place on my team.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Crosscontaminant posted:

Mega Manectric is still Electric-type and has Intimidate.

It's looks like it's going to collapse under its own weight.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I really want to see Mega Manectric animated. I have no idea how he can move around with that giant thing on his back.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I drew Mega Starmie:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Jarogue posted:

Isn't it weird to only have about 69 new Pokemon made for Gen 6. I know a lot of the new Pokemon are in the Mega Pokemon, but they at least could have gotten to 90 or 100 new Pokemon. Even Diamond and Pearl had 107 new Pokemon.

Consensus is that the development time that would have otherwise gone to designing more new Pokemon instead went to modeling and animating all 718 Pokemon plus Megas in 3D.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There's definitely an imbalance with the Mega evolutions where some of them are viable in either form (like Gengar) but some of them really need the Mega form to be viable (Mawile). If you see someone toss out a Gengar in competitive play, you have to wonder whether or not it'll Mega evolve and change the situation, but if you see Mawile come out you know what's about to happen.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Leper Colon V posted:

:objection:

Mawile actually has several very good sets in NU. (Mostly buff and utility.) The surprise factor might just be enough to keep them afloat in higher tiers.

Yeah, but is having one strong option and one gimmick option really as good as having two strong options? You could run a surprise set on almost anything.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

jymbojones posted:

Goddamnit. I really want a physical copy, but nowhere near me is doing a midnight release. I have the space for the digital DL, but something about that just feels "wrong", I guess. I don't know what to do, ugh.

I suspect the 'wrongness' of owning a digital copy might diminish once you're actually playing the game.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Dracula Factory posted:

Red/Blue came out in the 3rd grade for me and therefore only people my age (+-1 year) are allowed to enjoy this game appropriately. Hope this helps.

This raises an interesting question. What do kids just getting into the franchise now think of the older Pokemon vs. the new ones?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually some might. Since the initial release we've known the mega-forms give access to new moves some times (Mega Kangaskahn gets Power-Up Punch for example.)

How does this work? Does the new move overwrite one of its existing moves temporarily?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The logistics of having your Pokemon follow you around in a 3D game must be staggering. I didn't expect them to have that working right away.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Der Metzgermeister posted:

That doesn't excuse Gen 5. :mad:

Weren't HG/SS and B/W developed nearly simultaneously by separate teams?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

No More Toast posted:

I've heard rumours that the shiny rate has dropped this gen. Does anyone know if this is true? Or is there really no way of telling yet?

It's already 1 in 8192, so Nintendo lowering the rate would be one of the biggest rear end in a top hat moves imaginable.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Previous Jesus posted:

Ahahaha that Werster guy who's streaming X and Y just ran into the trainer with the level 49 Goodra. At first he thought it was Amoura or whatever it's called, but when it wasn't weak to fighting he was like "Oh, that looks like my Sliggoo. Level 49, I'm getting close!" :unsmigghh:

Has it been confirmed that Sliggoo doesn't evolve into Goodra until level 70? There's nothing else that can be done?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Okay, Mega-Scizor is both loving awesome and a logical progression from his base form; he looks even more like a bug-robot now. Very nice.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

HeyItsAyls posted:

It does get BoltBeam and Calm Mind which is great, but its best Rock type attack? Ancient Power. It doesn't even get Power Gem. :smith:

What?!? It literally has gems on its body. Guess we have a new Flareon.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Flying Milton posted:

How many Pokemon are in this game? Is it all of them or just a selection?

There's 454 in the regular Pokedex, I believe, with maybe 15-20 exclusives per game. Can anyone speak to whether the national dex has more?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 12, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ville Valo posted:

My girlfriend just started the game, and caught a shiny Pikachu and a shiny Fletchling back-to-back (no random encounters between them) before getting to the first Pokemon Center. What are the odds of that?

Unless they've changed the shiny rate, 67,108,864 to 1.

They're probably changed the shiny rate.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kikas posted:

Leftovers are someplace off-route. I think it's somewhere on route 18 or 19, I jsut recently got them. It's one of those items you have to use Cut to get to.

I think it's actually Route 12. And you do need Cut.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kikas posted:

Also has anyone encountered a Galvantula or a Spinarak yet? I MUST HAVE ONE.

I've seen Ariados on Victory Road, and according to Serebii it can also be found in Terminus Cave and in Friend Safaris.

As for Joltik, apparently it cannot be cannot be caught in-game at all? Not sure about this.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kikas posted:

I just fought a veteran right before Victory Road. She sends out a Tyrantrum I think "Huh, this will be easy with my Chestnaught". It hits me with a loving Aerial Ace one shotting me.

So, to all you Tyrantrum lovers - it apparently learns Aerial Ace.

As much as I love Chesnaught, he's nearly useless for the last third or so of the game. Everything has a Flying move. Or an Ice move. or a Psychic move. Or a god dammit Chesnaught why is your typing so poo poo

I used a Tyrantrum as well, and incidentally he's another cool mon with a glass jaw due to a terrible typing. I ended up using Head Smash a lot because why not, he's gonna die anyway.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 16, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kelp Plankton posted:

Chesnaught is the first starter I think I'm going to end up dropping from my team before I get to the Elite Four. I've always brought them along the whole way in past games and then let them retire as breeding stock, so it makes me feel bad about how Chesnaught is just kind of going to fade into the background while my Blastoise continues to kick everything's rear end.

Poor Chesnaught, upstaged in your own debut generation.

Yeah. Pure Water is an embarassingly good typing, and Mega Blastoise with Surf and Ice Beam switches the game to Very Easy Mode. Meanwhile, Chesnaught's fainting animation is permanently stamped in my mind from seeing it so much.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Quite a few Pokemon look strange in 3D. Eelektross is surprisingly puny-looking, and Stunky's got a bad case of :butt:-face.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

McDragon posted:

Of course, Stunfisk makes up for everything.

Stunfisk is perfect. Encountering it for the first time is the biggest laugh in the game, followed closely by seeing its attacking animation for the first time.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm away from my game right now; does the Mega Stone store sell any stones besides the Gen I starter stones?

Cuckoo posted:

fake edit UGH Zapdos appeared and fled before the battle could even begin gently caress yoooouuuuu :argh:
Don't you need to encounter the legendary birds like 12 times before they become catchable in one specific location, or something dumb like that?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 16, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

horriblePencilist posted:

What's a good nature and EV spread for Chestnaught?

He's a physical attacker and his Speed isn't completely terrible, so maybe Jolly? As far as EVs, give him some Sp. Def since he needs help in that area. Attack and HP would also be good things to put EVs into.

e: actually Speed should be a high EV priority, forgot about that one. Maybe Attack/Sp. Def/Speed

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 16, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

nerdz posted:

Second region? At 1.7GB (and the possibility of DLC), we can only hope.

I can't imagine that they'd program in a second region only to lock it off at launch.

Unless they're going to release it as DLC :unsmigghh:

(Seriously, though, there is no second region)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I got a Modest Yveltal, named him Y So Serious, and use him all the time and I don't give one single gently caress what anybody thinks about that. He's probably my favorite legendary since the Gen II dogs.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Captain Oblivious posted:

Speaking of Power Anklets and whatnot can I get them from the Battle Chateau or the post game Battle Institute?

They're available from the Battle Maison in the postgame, priced at 16 BP each.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Stalgren posted:

I like how one of the elite four is literally just "A mom"

And it's the Dragon-type leader as well, which makes it even better.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I still can't decide if I'm more annoyed or amused that they brought back Six Magikarp Guy.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BattleMaster posted:

Diggersby is awesome. I like how this time, the cute bunny Pokemon evolved into something so incredibly loathsome. It's amazing.

Plus his hidden ability is Huge Power :getin:

e: and he can learn Swords Dance.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is Avalugg Bergmite's evo or Aurorus? I've been trying to keep myself unspoiled on the new mons so I can be surprised when I encounter fire lions or lucha libre condors.

Avalugg evolves from Bergmite at Level 40. He's got HP, Attack and Defense but basically any Fire move will OHKO him.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well, is there a Fire E4 member? I bet there is. I just bet.

Yes.

Also, I've now got a 25-match winning streak in Super Singles at the Battle Maison and I'm considering breaking it off and never going back, go out on top and all that.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Make the Ice type resist Water and remove its Fighting weakness.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hihohe posted:

Teach Alakazam Focus Blast and watch him WRECK THE poo poo OUT OF DARK TYPES!

Alakazam used Focus Blast! The attack missed!

The opponent's Weavile used Night Slash! It's super effective!

Alakazam fainted!

:sigh:

e: can Alakazam learn Dazzling Gleam?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Did they ever say what O even stands for? :raise:

Online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of shiny Zubats, I caught a shiny Zubat yesterday - my first shiny in over a decade. His IVs are absolute garbage but I don't caaaaaaare

• Locked thread