Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Crosscontaminant posted:

Mega Manectric is still Electric-type and has Intimidate.

DOG-SHAPED RO-, er, LIGHTNING BOLT BUDDY! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

So I am probably extremely late to the party upon learning this but hey, just got ambushed by a wild goddamn Hydreigon in Victory Road (got Y on the 14th of February and only now have I managed to reach Victory Road).

And somehow I manage to get a Critical Capture with a Quick Ball. :psyduck:

This game really needs to stop shoving all these powerful Pokemon in my face.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Pokemon Y, we need to talk.

I know Hypnosis has accuracy of 65, but after using Baton Pass with three accuracy boosts to my Gardevoir in waiting it should not miss 5 times in a row.

That poo poo ain't cool.

60% actually.

Though with 3 boosts that should still be hitting without fail. Sure opponent doesn't have Brightpowder or something?

edit: beaten, bah

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

How Ingratiating! posted:

I want an Orre remake on the 3DS. That was such a cool region, and you got to rehabilitate Pokemon with the power of oil massages and music.

You could toss in Pokemon Amie as an extra method of healing Shadow Pokemon! Everyone wins! :v:

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The male PC should have the same hat as Brendan's, but in a variety of colors. :getin:

Every hat color looks like it could reasonably pass as hair. Blonde, black, brown, red, etc.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

So Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon and gets the ability Lightning Rod while Mega Swampert retains its typing and gets Swift Swim.

Huh. It's not like the thing needed Electric immunity (x4 resist) but okay!

Meanwhile oh poo poo swift swim on a stronger Swampert! That sounds terrifying and awesome!

The Bee posted:

I'm kinda sad they ditched the awesome bandana for a bow, but hey, if character customizing is back we can probably get our classic options again. I like how the designs are a midpoint between R/S and Emerald.

Designs also make more sense given their climate (seriously, whoever gave RS Brendan that much to wear in the goddamn tropics must be from goddamn Venus or something).

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Serebii posted:

Groudon & Kyogre's new "Mega Evolutions" are known as Atom Groudon & Atom Kyogre and are said to be a regression. Steven Stone returns and also appears to have a Mega Charizard X and is after the secret for Mega Evolution. Both the Mach and Acro Bike make a return in this game and Team Aqua & Team Magma both return as well.

Well. Some old with some new.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Complexcalibur posted:

So if an Unburden Pokemon gets its boost, and then its ability switches to another one somehow, does it still get to keep the boost? Bulbapedia and Smogon just say the boost is lost once it switches out. If they get to keep the boost, I can see good things for Power Herb Sceptile.

Yes, it keeps the boost. If Moxie Heracross scores a kill and gets the attack boost, it will keep over to Mega Heracross.

So the Unburden boost will stay on Mega Sceptile and it's now also immune to Electric... oh poo poo I just realized what that really means. It's immune to Thunder Wave AND the less commonly used Stun Spore. You can't Paralyze it unless your name is Delcatty. :stare:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

The Bee posted:

That would be amazing if not for the fact that Sceptile has to hold the Mega Stone to evolve.

Oh. Well drat, can't have any of those shenanigans. :downs:

Still, it being basically immune to Paralysis is going to give the thing a lot of staying power, and make it a fantastic counter to Rotom-W.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Losing a Shiny has happened to me once, and only once, in my entire time playing Pokemon.

It was a Shiny Kyogre in HG. :negative:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Mega Pikachu.

Correction: TekkaPikachu. Haha, multi-layered references.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Is pokemon cannon really a thing? Are we going to start speculating about the pokemon timeline?

Not much to really speculate on. Each game is kinda clear when it takes place.

The GBA games, Kanto and old Hoenn, start things off, and lead to the first few DS games, Sinnoh and Johto, which then go on to Unova with BW which leads on to BW2, and lastly we have Kalos on the 3DS.

Somewhere in all that mess you could probably toss in the Ranger and Gamecube games if you were assed to. Try to go any deeper and you get-

Ratspeaker posted:

Nah, the crazy people on Bulbapedia have already done it for us. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Timeline

...something like that.
For gently caress's sake "History of Pokemon Shipping?" What.
Edit: Oh god it's even worse than it sounds. Like a 19 page essay's worth of text.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 13, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Favorite. Pokemon.

Joltik. Galvantula's a close second. I stick by my thunder-spider buddies.
I like basically all Pokemon though.

Anyway ho poo poo Mega-Metagross. Betting it'll get Tough Claws, to beef up Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch's power.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

also if anyone can think of other pokemon that fit with a Gurren Laggan theme, that'd be pretty great.

Escaliver can get Drill Run through breeding and its arms are massive spiral javelins, there's your Kittan (plus it's Bug/Steel and hella defensive with an asskicking Attack stat, even if it's on the slow side). Could toss in a, I dunno, Gardevoir for Nia? Female Sniper Octillery for Yoko?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

avlein posted:

LUCHACHU

I need this. Luchachu is best. Scholarchu (Professorchu?) is a close-ish second but oh my god, Luchachu. :swoon:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Flannery is such a spaz, my gosh.

I love this. Flannery you dork, welcome back. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Girlfriend tossed this at me.

Seems there is only one Entry Hazard more hateful than Stealth Rock...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

mabels big day posted:

So, does Brendan wear the frilly dress in cute contests, or...?

Well obviously. The idol outfit is most certainly required for the Cute contests.

Doesn't matter who wears it.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

less laughter posted:

Bug/Dragon. Bug is one of the few types (along with Fighting and Normal) that hasn't been paired with Dragon yet, now that we have Mega Sceptile and Mega Altaria.

You know, I just now realize that Dragon/Fighting would have been a pretty good type combination before Gen6.

Now it'd be wary of the Fairies, though I guess it'd work as a Pseudo.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It's fake. Drapion's species name is ばけさそり (monster scorpion) in Japanese. おにさそり is just back translating from what it is in English, Ogre Scorpion.

You can also tell from that shoddy screencap attempt. Also from how plain the thing looks; legit scans are far more visually busy.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Truth? Ideals?

Hmm... HMM...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Pokemon has changed. It's no longer about badges, friendship or shorts. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by ace trainers and beauties. Pokemon, and its consumption of HP, has become a well-oiled machine. Pokemon has changed. ID tagged trainers carry ID tagged monsters, use ID tagged items. Pokerus inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Attack control. Weather control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Pokemon has changed. The age of predicition has become the age of Stealth Rock. All in the name of averting tier bans from Pokemon of mass destruction. And he who controls the battles, controls history. Pokemon has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, Pokemon... becomes routine.

:allears:

Die Laughing posted:

Anyone ever do a run with Mew as an alternate starter? Got a level 5 one that I've been sitting on for four years, and I'm going to use him in Omega Ruby. Teaching him every TM along the way, we're going to do the whole friendship and adventure thing. Also, I was kind enough to give my friends my Jirachi, Celebi, and level 1 Giratina, so they can rise through the ranks with legendary pals.

I'm just hoping that they don't upset the flow of the game much.

I did WAY back in my RBY days. It was quite an experience even back then. More recent gimmick "starter" runs have been things like Seviper (Emerald), Gible (Platinum), Joltik (Black), and sort-of Dennis (BW2). None of them really changed the games that much, but it's still a neat little experiment.

I should probably do a gimmick starter run for Omega Ruby too, thinking about it...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Well huh. GTS is even more generous than usual, got a 5 IV Speed Boost Jolly Carvanha for a Nav'd Sky Attack Taillow.

Also oh man, Mauville suddenly became my favorite town in the region. It just seems so much more lively and active now. And you can ride your bike indoors.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

:swoon: Well, that settles it. I'm getting Sun. Rowlet is the best starter so far but Popplio is cute too. Evolutions will probably seal the deal on which one I prefer.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Who's that Pokemon?!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

This gen is amazing and I can't decide what the best part of it is. loving Delta Pokemon are real, the games are Orange Islands, more new Pokemon with more new gimmicks, moves, kickass finishing moves for all types, BOSS POKEMON, more rideable Pokemon, flying around on a Charizard, and possibly Robin-Hoot.

Actually wait, I know what the best part is

:swoon: GRASS-TYPE IDEON SWORD :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

wait

wait poo poo

poo poo

IT MIGHT HAPPEN, PEOPLE

• Locked thread