Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I am still stupidly excited that the original Hyper Beam noise has returned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

HeyItsAyls posted:

Mega Mewtwo X. Literally just caught it, so no EVs and a Docile nature:

Psychic -> Psychic/Fighting

Attack: 180 -> 292
Defence: 152 -> 166
Sp. Attack: 236 -> 236
Sp. Defence: 152 -> 166
Speed: 194 -> 194

That attack. :stare:

That's fantastic and hilarious and :catstare:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

... Seriously? It's even French so it fits right in.

I'm kind of impressed. Still not going to use it.

Arguably, the Z legendary fits more with this legend than Goomy does. Both could have been inspired by it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Houndoom is another cross-pollination Mega Evolution - it's X-exclusive but Houndoominite is only found in Y.

:drat:
I love how the megas either look badass (Aggron, Houndoom, etc.) or silly (Heracross).

I want to see a Pokemon get even more cuddly and happy when it mega-evolves. :3:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Mega Goodra?

Maybe in the next game. :3:

:kimchi:

it just megavolves into a pile of Goomy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Mega Manectric is still Electric-type and has Intimidate.

It looks like someone messed up the vertices on the 3D model and liked what they saw.

Maybe it'll look better at a different angle...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Slate Action posted:

I drew Mega Starmie:

Not enough flesh ribbons.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jivjov posted:

Do we know for a fact that 'getting a mega evolution' is a guarantee that there will never be a new regular evolution for that pokemon? I haven't seen any confirmation on that one way or the other.

No, but it seems likely, doesn't it? It doesn't really make more sense to give a pokemon with a Mega evolution another evolution.
I suppose they could treat the Mega Stone like Eviolite in that case, in that you get a benefit from not evolving the pokemon.

Then again, many of the pokemon who got megas already felt "complete" to me. An evolution wouldn't have made sense (to me) for Pinser--where do you go from a giant badass bug? The Mega Evolution forme allows them to improve it (that is, keep up with power creep (and give it wings!)) without trying to shoehorn in a new evolution for that pokemon.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Just got in from work and managed to play (it came right as I had to leave :argh:). Goddamn is this game beautiful. I love the art style, everything looks really crisp. All the little animations each pokémon has (especially for things like tackle) are awesome :3:

How is the music? We've heard some clips from the promo vids and I think there are a couple low-quality rips on youtube, but none of the leakers mentioned it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Unbound posted:

I was sort of hoping for Confragimite. I wanna see what crazy thing is inside that sarcophagus.

The sarcophagus is full of skeletons. The skeletons of your enemies! And the trainer you're fighting just collapses into a pile of flesh. Very messy.
And that is why there is no Cofagrimite.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

JackGeneric posted:

If you want to get really specific, if it's still a 1-in-8192 chance of getting a shiny, and you generate 8192 random Tyrunts, there's still about a 36.8% chance you still won't have generated a shiny.

On the other hand, the very next one could be shiny!!

but it won't be. sorry.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've found 3 shinies. My first was a shiny Skunky in Diamond. The second was a Buizel on Route 11 in White.
The last one was another Buizel in the exact same area on Route 11 the next day. It was bizarre.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nevileen posted:

I got three shinies in all my years: A shiny Beautifly in diamond, a shiny lapras in soul silver, and the one I nearly had a heart attack over....a Shiny feebas in emerald.

And what did you sacrifice to the RNG? Your firstborn?

Champeenship posted:

The model for Ferroseed has it halfway stuck in the ground. :3:

:3: I can't wait to see this

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

So... I know I can just put the 3DS to sleep but how do I actually exit out of the game? Forcing it closed from the 3DS menu?

Hit the Home button, then "close software" (which is the X button, I think.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy :negative:

I guess that means I should just get my schoolwork done instead :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jivjov posted:

According to the Amazon rep that e-mailed me, they don't upgrade older pre-orders to release day shipping, you have to cancel and re-place the preorder once release day shipping is available (Note: I have preordered all sorts of things [games, books, movies, etc] from Amazon and have never had this problem before, so either they recently switched policies or they had specific problems with Pokemon X and Y).

EDIT: I just got shipping notification on mine. I'm not sure if my emails to customer service got them to bump my shipping speed up or something, but I went from having an estimated delivery of Thursday to one of Monday.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll send an email to them too.

Edit: Or maybe I'll just be patient, it's not like I have time to play it this week anyway :smith:

Solumin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 12, 2013

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What's a good level to evolve Doublade? Serebii says his last move is learned at lv. 51. Can anyone confirm/doublecheck that?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nakar posted:

If you have lots of Heart Scales, immediately, as it can relearn Sacred Sword.

If you're cheap, at 51 when it learns Sacred Sword normally.

Great, thanks! I only have a couple heart scales, so I guess I'll wait a bit.

Unless there's an easier way to get lots of heart scales besides stealing them from Luvdiscs?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

NextTime000 posted:

yeah Kings Shield with Aegislash's Forme-change playstyle makes Power trick unneeded.

And King's Shield is the only way to return to Shield Forme?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've finally reached Rt. 14 and caught Goomy. I kind of want to use him (because Goomy :3:) but I'm not sure who to replace.

I have Clawitzer, Sylveon, Aurorus, Chesnaught, Aegislash and Talonflame.
I'm debating dropping Aurorus, but I haven't used him much since he evolved so I don't know if he's still hard to use.
Swapping out Sylveon is also an option since she apparently doesn't have that great of a moveset. (Unless someone has suggestions along those lines?)
I also have a Charizard who I keep in reserve, but I didn't want to give her Fly. I keep Talonflame around for basically just that purpose.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

Is there any way to get more Shiny Stones? Since the stone emporium is completely useless (seriously Game Freak just giving them three stones :saddowns:) I'm worried about evolving my Togepi later on to fill out the pokedex. I've found the one on Route 12 at least but I can't find any more spots where you can get one.

The Secret Super Training minigames all have chances to give you certain stones. According to serebii, you're looking for the "An Opening of Lightning-Quick Attacks!" game, which is the one after the Aegislash one.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

It's the closest match starting from the right and working leftwards - 51055 matches 35955 but not 41052.

I'm pretty sure this is how it has worked since they introduced it in Gen II. Not sure why they chose right-to-left... perhaps for programming reasons?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Brett824 posted:

quote:

JESUSSUCKS
Glad they got this one, I don't want to see ANY 'mon names disparaging our lord and savior.

Nessa posted:

Today I was Wonder Traded a Charmander named ADOLF HITLER.

He's Sassy.

Nintendo, we need to talk about your filter...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Repelex posted:

Mega-Aggron owns and doesn't take poo poo from any pokemon. I've seen him eat a Focus blast from mega-gengar and live to one shot it back.

This makes me happy. :allears: Aggron is my favorite pokemon, but I've avoided using him seriously because of his huge weaknesses.
I'll probably put together a team for the XY equivalent of the Battle Subway that centers around him.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just to clear it up, I spent a LOT of time doofing around at the Battle Chateau. I didn't seriously expect anything to happen but sometimes RPGs do fun stuff if you beat an unbeatable boss.

They're consistent with it, at least. There's a girl in Lumiose who said she almost had the $5 million needed to join.
Which I guess means every member of Team Flare (or at least every grunt) paid a cool $5 mil to join.

FauxGateau posted:

Dude's mega evolution makes him pure steel. So it's basically one of the best defensive pokemon now. Also his ability is loving awesome. Dude can wall forever.

Awesome! :D Perhaps I'll throw together a sand team for the Spec. Def. buff.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Mega Aggron doesn't get a Special Defense boost in sand since it's not a rock type. If you want a Specially Defensive tank on a sand team it's hard to beat Assault Vest Tyranitar who even brings his own sand.

How much does the Assault Vest boost SDef by?

M.Aggron + Goomy + Gengar might make an interesting 3v3 team...
Perhaps I should finish the main game before getting into all this.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

O...oh my.

If you keep your hand near your pokemon and s/he swipes at it s/he'll high five it!

Best game...

W-what. How. Which 'mon did you do this with?
(I assume you mean in amie?)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
4 or 5 hearts gets you boosted crit chance, a chance to shake off status effects early, and extra messages during battle. (e.g. "I knew you could do it!" when your pokemon lands a super-effective hit.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Does anyone know if it possible to use my computer as a WiFi hotspot for my 3DS?
I'm on a college campus, and I basically never have usable WiFi. I think there used to be an Official Nintendo WiFi Dongle, but those are apparently discontinued.

I just want to Wonder Trade everything :3:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

horriblePencilist posted:

If you have LAN access to the internet, you can create a network and relay the internet connection to your 3DS by using your computer.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get this to work for me.

Great Beer posted:

You could also try using your phone as a hotspot. I've gotten the web browser to work doing this but it wouldn't connect to the GTS. Not sure why but maybe you'll have more luck.

Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone v:shobon:v but thanks for the idea!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Side note: I know Snorlax is fat and all but how on earth does he outweigh Aggron?

He also outweighs Wailord. Pokemon physics/biology, man. It doesn't have to make sense.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Great Beer posted:

Pretty sure all you have to do is open up your wireless cards properties and check the Share this connection box.

E; a little more complicated than that but not much
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

:argh: I don't have a wireless card. I'm trying to get it to work with a little USB wireless adapter...
Either way, thanks for the link! It's really helpful.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Frankston posted:

Wait, different Pokemon show up based on what time I'm playing?

No?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Slate Action posted:

Dugtrio's sprite in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, i.e. Gen 4, i.e. an even-numbered gen:

You wouldn't like me when I'm two-thirds angry...

And then he's completely happy in HG/SS. Go figure.

Networking talk: I can connect to the ad-hoc with my laptop, but not my DS :psyduck: guess I'll check out Connectify next.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Good :words: on reset bags

You can also occasionally find Team Flare bags. These make your Pokemon super energetic, which means you will get a bag every time you tap for a minute or two, until it tapers out to a bag every once in a while like the normal excited state. Your pokemon will stay energetic for a long time, or until you use another bag.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

There's only one Metal Coat in the game for some idiotic reason, don't waste it on something like that. I'm sure there's something or another you can Thief more off of, but it's probably Friend Safari only. And then you have to get lucky enough to find someone with it.

Magnemite and Magneton have a 5% chance to be carrying one, and you can find them in the Lost Hotel. So it's just inconvenient to get more, not impossible!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I finally have a WiFi hotspot for my DS (huge thanks to the goon who posted Connectify!) and I've registered my game on the PGL.
Is it better to spend the pokemiles online instead of in-game? I saw things are a little cheaper online, but I was wondering if there were any other differences.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think it's because the boost from the nature is a relative 10% while EVs are an absolute boost.
156 EVs = +39 points at level 100. At level 100, the boost from Calm gives +39 points to Goodra's Sp.Def.
124 EVs = +31 points at level 100. At level 100, the boost from Modest gives +31 points to Goodra's Sp.Atk.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

They're extremely free at one per two Luvdisc. Teach your HM slave Thief.

Even better, get a 'mon with Compound Eyes. (You can catch Nincada fairly early for this purpose.) Keep it fainted but at the front of your party, then go fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

From what I understand you can't even wear shorts unless you're a girl so clearly you should pick the girl.

There are shorts for guys, but they're more like capris in length. If you're wearing the boots, you can't even tell that you're wearing shorts.

• Locked thread