Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Have they ever mentioned whether you need to be a citizen of Akihabara to purchase buildings, or if citizenship even a thing? Just wondering if Shiroe intends to purchase all of the city so that, say, some other person can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

To keep in check runaway inflation caused by the technological advances brought by adventurers and the loot that they continually accrue, they need to convert their currency to one that's backed by anime body pillows and moe figurines. The Otaku standard.

Their capital is Akihabara. I'm amazed this isn't in place already.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
E: herp derp I can't read

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bad Moon posted:

God, how boring will that be when all the lowbies get high level and there's nobody to take low level quests to keep populations low. Guilds gonna give goblin genociding as the punishment detail. gently caress I gotta spend the next week killing gobs can't I take out the trash or clean the toilets?

Well, presumably they'll eventually have to start making new generations of adventurers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not necessarily, adventurers are, if not immortal, at least exceptionally long lived.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Well, presumably they'll eventually have to start making new generations of adventurers.

That makes me wonder how social institutions developed in the MMO after the Apocalypse. Like marriages and the like. You can do that online in the real world, so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gearhead posted:

I would not be shocked if Shiroe sat down and figured out how much it would take to purchase what needed to be purchased and then worked out the costs of maintenance. And then came up with a method of making that money, and the stupid huge figure is actually the money he needs to set something up that will run itself.

Something that will run itself. I had a horrible thought of a Minecraft-esque automatic harvesting contraption.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Bad Moon posted:

God, how boring will that be when all the lowbies get high level and there's nobody to take low level quests to keep populations low. Guilds gonna give goblin genociding as the punishment detail. gently caress I gotta spend the next week killing gobs can't I take out the trash or clean the toilets?

Well most big Eve corps pay you to fight people. You don't even need to win, just getting out there and being violent is enough to get paid, and is much better than the loot you gain from kills.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Next episode preview: Uhh...Delicious. Demiglace? Still a better name than William Massachusetts.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Don't be hating on William.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kyte posted:

Don't be hating on William.

"Sir, can you please spell your name for me?"

"Alright, officer: I'm drunk as gently caress"

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I recently started this show, and got caught up with it, only to realize that season 2 was about to start when I picked this up, lucky me!

Went in expecting this show to be garbage, ended up watching it over 4 days. I find it really commendable how well this show rewards you for paying attention, and how well it implements game mechanics into the story. Another thing which is rare and nice to have, is not being patronized the whole way through. It's nice figuring some things out for myself, without having it spoon fed to me.

This is no masterpiece, but for what this show has set itself out to be, it executes it on a highly respectable level. For anyone still on the fence about this show, especially if you've been exposed to the train wreck which is SAO, take refuge by giving this show a try. I don't think it'll disappoint.

Quite interested in the focus on economics here for some of season 2. I usually find the more I learn about the world they're in, the better this show gets. Hoping for even more world building.

Consider me quite hyped to see which direction the show takes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm just going to assume that "William Massachusetts" is the result of some Japanese dude wanting to give his character a cool-sounding foreign name and so picking the most American one possible.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm just going to assume that "William Massachusetts" is the result of some Japanese dude wanting to give his character a cool-sounding foreign name and so picking the most American one possible.

They call me... KRUSTY. :black101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

It'd be like someone naming their character Shinji Hiroshima or something.

XboxPants posted:

The author visited /a/ at some point and answered a few questions for them. This included whether or not Adventurers could have sex in the game, iirc. They can.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd be like someone naming their character Shinji Hiroshima or something.

The author visited /a/ at some point and answered a few questions for them. This included whether or not Adventurers could have sex in the game, iirc. They can.

Look, it's a videogame. It's nyant like I'm having sex with cats in the real world, okay?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's not the game though, sooooo of course they'd be able to do things you can actually do.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shukaro posted:

It's not the game though, sooooo of course they'd be able to do things you can actually do.

Except cooking apparently. Although I like to think that they all just lived from convenient store lunch sets.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

genericnick posted:

Except cooking apparently. Although I like to think that they all just lived from convenient store lunch sets.

It was just that no one tried to cook the old fashioned way, and those who did didn't have a skill high enough. It was the first major break from game mechanics, showing them that they aren't exactly in a game but in a world modeled by the game.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
So if they fear the South can buy player-centric buildings in Akihabara, wouldn't it be nice to have reserves to buy the player-centric buildings in THEIR (edit: South's) city?

Dervyn fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 7, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Economic MAD. I like it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Not necessarily, adventurers are, if not immortal, at least exceptionally long lived.

Well, their game characters were. Now that theyre in the game has it been confirmed that they dont age?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It was just that no one tried to cook the old fashioned way, and those who did didn't have a skill high enough. It was the first major break from game mechanics, showing them that they aren't exactly in a game but in a world modeled by the game.

You might be excused for thinking you'd get there by just following the right procedure without having to spend valuable XP. Relatedly I hope everyone leveled sex or poo poo will be frustrating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dervyn posted:

So if they fear the South can buy player-centric buildings in Akihabara, wouldn't it be nice to have reserves to buy the player-centric buildings in THEIR (edit: South's) city?

You can only buy unowned properties. If they stop paying the maintenance costs it goes back to being unowned.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

genericnick posted:

You might be excused for thinking you'd get there by just following the right procedure without having to spend valuable XP. Relatedly I hope everyone leveled sex or poo poo will be frustrating.

Wait a second. If sex is a skill, but one that doesn't exist yet, then does that mean Shiroe will have to write sex into the world? :aaaaa:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't like walking, eating or sleeping are skills. This isn't rune factory, after all. All of this 'ahur hur hur sex is something that exists' poo poo is what leads to fatal's famous anal circumference chart.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't like walking, eating or sleeping are skills. This isn't rune factory, after all. All of this 'ahur hur hur sex is something that exists' poo poo is what leads to fatal's famous anal circumference chart.

Wait wait wait back it up I need some references here.

\/\/: lmao

Syenite fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 7, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shukaro posted:

You really, really don't.

All you need to know is that a Tabletop RPG named Fatal had a chart wherein you could roll to determine anal circumference. Because that was important.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Shukaro posted:

\/\/: lmao

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this but...

Prepare lots of your favorite booze!

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

There was a thread in trad games that started with the OP posting stuff from a copy of FATAL. He didn't get very far but it's gold.
http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/FATAL_%26_Friends:_F-G#FATAL_.28by_Syrg.29

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Wait a second. If sex is a skill, but one that doesn't exist yet, then does that mean Shiroe will have to write sex into the world? :aaaaa:

Skill tree from page 1:

Autonomous Monster posted:

There's a "prostitute" sub-class. :geno:

Don't think we need Shiroe to use up rare paper and ink for this one.

e: Oh my god Artificer what did I just read? :psyboom:

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 8, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Caros posted:

You really, really don't.

All you need to know is that a Tabletop RPG named Fatal had a chart wherein you could roll to determine anal circumference. Because that was important.

The best part was that you could have a negative number for that stat.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Skill tree from page 1:

That's a mistranslation, it should really be Courtesan/Geisha. In the traditional "entertainer of nobles" sense, not the "red light district" sense.

This is actually a character's subclass in the light novels and they go into what it means, but I don't know if they'll address it in the anime. It is somewhat important.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Skill tree from page 1:

I have a feeling that more than a few of those are particularly dodgy. I mean, they didn't know what a scribe was.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's one of the earliest translated materials, and a quickly translated one at that.

(Incidentally the discussion wrt what the Courtesan class really meant was what attracted Mamare to /a/ in first place)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Skill tree from page 1:

A thing given to us by two people who suffered through a terrible terrible "book."

Caros
May 14, 2008

Artificer posted:

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this but...

Prepare lots of your favorite booze!

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

This reads like a slightly longer history of Swap.Avi. God bless you fatal. God bless.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Heres a season 2 thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670546

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did we need a new thread, really?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I didn't care either way, but it turns out that yes, yes we did. The all Rudy all the time OP proved as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Well there's one now so this thread is done.

• Locked thread