Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'm enjoying this for a couple of reasons, including that its making a much more video-gamey experience then SAO was, where them being in a game world was pretty much only illustrated on occasion. This really feels like "poo poo I'm in a MMO" as opposed to "poo poo I'm in a medieval fantasy world".

I'm enjoying the lead so far, hes not been overly stupid, although I suspect I'm going to find the Akatsuki crush thing irritating after a while.

The idea of a lead character who isn't superwtfomg strong, but is smart and has a class based around being tactical rather then just piling on the damage is interesting, although I do hope he'll use a spell OTHER then Thorn Bind Hostage.

Also, cat dude is up to something, calling it now. Overall, I'm liking this, its not anything amazingly new, but its taking the theme in its own direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Conot posted:

I do hope he'll use a spell OTHER then Thorn Bind Hostage.

Electrical Fuzz!

As long as the potential romantic subplot doesn't get too creepy I don't think I'll mind it much. As it is, I'm actually enjoying it as a cute little background thing. If it starts becoming more intrusive I could definitely see it getting annoying, though. Let's hope it doesn't.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm definitely interested in where this is going. How do you stop a bunch of jerks from being jerks when you can't really harm them?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Sindai posted:

I'm definitely interested in where this is going. How do you stop a bunch of jerks from being jerks when you can't really harm them?

Corpse-camp them until they get sick of it and log ou—

Oh, wait.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
A practical way of doing it might be to pit PK against PK so they have their fun with their own kind. Or just cockblock them until they give up and decide to sulk in town.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well third episode definitely solidifies this as my "chill out while playing MMOs anime." I love that it really is (for now) incredibly easy going. And so far

Fleve posted:

I'm also afraid they'll end up treating it as an incident of one 'evil' guy and his guild rather than a systemic problem evolving into conquest, dominion and war.

I have a feeling that things like these will be central to the show. I mean they already showed one one guy with some weird black armor and the same glasses habit as the MC that seems to be keeping tabs on the main cast, and the guild leaders. I think there'll definitely be more to all of this, they're just taking their sweet time, which is a nice contrast for me.

E: If we're going to talk in comparisons, the pace seems to be somewhere between .hack//Sign and SAO, which I'm completely ok with.
EE: Now that I'm thinking about it, between the setting, and the slow pace, and the flat out mmoishness of it all, it really reminds me of .hack.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 19, 2013

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I hope the God Emperor of MMOkind is a central character. And that all of his guildmembers wear really heavy armor or are mages. I burst out laughing the moment I saw that part.

Edit: Aside from that... I'm enjoying this show immensely more because 1) no one can die (so far as we know) and 2) no one knows why they're there or what to do. That alone brings it a lot closer to "people in a game," and that means the commentary on the topic is actually interesting and relevant. The initial aimlessness caused by the lack of a need to do anything or have anything to work for was really good, and the examination of "evil for the sake of being evil / it's fine, because this is just a game" is also more interesting than anything that would arise from "if we die we die forever!"

I think Log Horizon is a pretty good example of why you don't need death to be on the table to have tension and drama.

Einander fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 19, 2013

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Fleve posted:

The latest episode with some guy carving out his own kingdom in the north gives me hope that they’ll delve deeper into those topics, but I'm also afraid they'll end up treating it as an incident of one 'evil' guy and his guild rather than a systemic problem evolving into conquest, dominion and war.

Given that Maoyuu is all about the societal implications of fantasy culture development, I can't imagine Log Horizon not having this as a key theme.

This show is fun as hell. I really enjoy it, it's refreshing and different and very competently done.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Speaking of Maoyu, I'm thinking about giving it a try, since Crunchyroll has it and it seems like a cool idea. Is it worth the watch?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

glomkettle posted:

Speaking of Maoyu, I'm thinking about giving it a try, since Crunchyroll has it and it seems like a cool idea. Is it worth the watch?

The anime is not a great adaptation and it ends before the story gets particularly far. The official manga adaptation is much better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Note that, for some bizarre reason, there are three manga adaptations by three different artists. Not counting the parody 4-koma. This is the good one: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Maoyuu-Maou-Yuusha-Be-mine-Hero-I-refuse

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Sindai posted:

Note that, for some bizarre reason, there are three manga adaptations by three different artists. Not counting the parody 4-koma. This is the good one: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Maoyuu-Maou-Yuusha-Be-mine-Hero-I-refuse

Are the others bad, or is this one just better? Also, is the 4-koma worth reading?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They all come from the same source material so they're not really that different, but that one also has by far the most progressed translation, so it's kind of the default.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

glomkettle posted:

Are the others bad, or is this one just better? Also, is the 4-koma worth reading?

The 4-koma is a decent gag comedy, but most of the humor hinges on knowing how the characters normally act and how the story actually plays out, so don't read it first.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I was looking for him, but the animators cut Nyanta's head out of the frame during the close-up on the DTP members by placing the camera too low. Even though they show his silhouette in the larger shot, I missed it the first time.

It was also really interesting to see People of the Land trying to escape. Seems like there's more to it than just being mindless vendors. I'd love to see the bandits drive them all away and be unable to easily buy food. Hunger, even starvation, with no easy way to get food and no death to end it seems like an appropriate punishment.

I saw some class descriptions floating around, and it seems Nyanta's class, Fencer/Swashbuckler, is best suited to DPSing multiple enemies at once. I think they're setting him up for an awesome scene where he gets cornered by all the mooks in the guild and annihilates them before needing to be bailed out against the guild leader in a straight fight.

I'm predicting he'll be the star of the next episode, perhaps even bailing out the current party when they get jumped, as seen in the preview. :allears:

From the OP it looks like he'll join the party. I like him so far, he's calm, takes things as they come, and does what he can, so I think that's great.

Still plenty of time for them to completely drop the ball on this, but so far I'm pretty optimistic. If it keeps on track it'll probably end up being my pick from this season.

EDIT:

Someone was asking about it and here's all the translated information we have. Second image has class skills.

The Race of Ritual sounds like stupid special snowflake crap that wouldn't fly in any recent game, though. Same for the Fox Tail losing skills on level up. Chance of losing core skills to your class? Sign me up.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 20, 2013

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

"If I die, I'll go back to Akibara!"

Oh my God, the stakes are so loving high! :allears:

Which is not a bad thing, I'd rather see this approach to the whole trapped-in-a-game premise than watch a SAO clone. It just refuses to roll with it. I seriously can't buy into this Rising Warlord plot/sub-plot they are trying to set up, not with the tone they are going at least. It would have been great if it was being silly about those things, but tries to appear serious and gritty instead, and not the kind of over-the-top seriousness that is clearly a parody. Which is a shame, the silliness is right there lurking on the sidelines, with guild names like Debauchery Tea Party or Radio Market, serious role-players playing alongside people named "Woodstock W", and someone grinding cleaning of all things.

Also, that Cat dude has clearly unlocked the secret to making food taste good.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Rexides posted:

"If I die, I'll go back to Akibara!"

Oh my God, the stakes are so loving high! :allears:

Which is not a bad thing, I'd rather see this approach to the whole trapped-in-a-game premise than watch a SAO clone. It just refuses to roll with it. I seriously can't buy into this Rising Warlord plot/sub-plot they are trying to set up, not with the tone they are going at least. It would have been great if it was being silly about those things, but tries to appear serious and gritty instead, and not the kind of over-the-top seriousness that is clearly a parody. Which is a shame, the silliness is right there lurking on the sidelines, with guild names like Debauchery Tea Party or Radio Market, serious role-players playing alongside people named "Woodstock W", and someone grinding cleaning of all things.

Also, that Cat dude has clearly unlocked the secret to making food taste good.

While it's not playing it for laughs, it's nowhere near the level of "oh poo poo I'm really going to stop existing" like in SAO. He knows he'll just add several days to his trip, which would be a real pain. They also had some urgency to rescuing Serara due to the collapse of social order in the other city.

The warlord is also just being a massive jerk and forcing people to stay for his amusement. Imagine if, every time you left the safety of your neighborhood, you got mugged and violently killed dragged back home. You can't even leave for another neighborhood because you're too low level unarmed. Sure, he's not killing them, but this is basically torture for their amusement.

Also on a much darker note:

I know SAO had safeguards against sexual harassment, they were mentioned in the LN during an early chapter, but I'm not sure that Elder Tale had/has the same thing. I'm waiting for one of the bandits to try to take his nihilism to the "next level" and one of the heroes to jump in. Hell, maybe it already happened with Serara, which would put a very dark spin on it. The head bandit seems very obsessed with her.

Then again I doubt the anime wants to explore those topics, and I don't want it to either.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Desuwa posted:

The warlord is also just being a massive jerk and forcing people to stay for his amusement. Imagine if, every time you left the safety of your neighborhood, you got mugged and violently killed dragged back home. You can't even leave for another neighborhood because you're too low level unarmed. Sure, he's not killing them, but this is basically torture for their amusement.

You know, the show gets a lot funnier if you imagine the warlord as Elder Tale's version of Goonswarm.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I thought episode 3 was pretty dull and was seriously disappointed in it. Granted, we got to see a little bit of the cat-dude and the maid-waifu girl, but we were only teased a bit in other areas. First off, the entire episode basically involved our heroic trio entering a giant cavern and leaving it. They go in, and they come out. They appreciate a sunrise. That was the episode: Enter dungeon, leave dungeon, look at sky and sigh.

Oh. And, they're level 90 and the highest level mob in the dungeon, but big boss, is level 68. Okay, at level 85 in WoW I was going into elite dungeons with level 68-70 elite mobs in them, and clearing out the entire dungeon solo. I am pretty sure I solo'd a level 70'ish super-elite end-boss at least once. Not only is the game-play somewhat unrealistic in that manner (although, I will grant that not all games are the same level-to-level-wise. For example, in early EQ, this would have definitely been a problem), there wasn't much tension.

The fact the pathway in this dungeon is crumbling should, I hope, have some impact on the overall storyline. I really hope so.

Side note: Yes, I think it's nice that the characters have "moved on" so to speak regarding being stuck in-game, but they really haven't agonized over it much. In SAO, it took days, weeks, months and some characters never really go over being stuck in-game. Granted, the death being real thing had a huge impact, but you'd expect these guys to roll around on the ground a bit and gnash their teeth and pull out their hair...some. They just look at their screen, "Oh, the logout command is grayed out. (Sigh). I guess we're stuck in here for good! The food is horrible! Let's ride our griffons!"

We got a tiny, tantalizing taste of something the Glenda-the-Goodwitch's guild leader is up to, but what? They could've developed that more. I do have to laugh at the maid-waifu cleaning and leveling up a "useless" skill. That actually kind of hits home for a lot of us who picked "interesting" secondary skills and regretted it. My first toon in Asheron's Call had "Thrown Weapons". I thought that was going to be so awesome! That was before you could re-specialize. And it was horrible.

The kingdom builder part is a bit ridiculous too. First off, he's taking all their (the people he kills in the town) poo poo. Now, if you've played most MMO's, you'll note that all the good stuff is generally NO DROP/non-tradeable. This is because you're supposed to earn the really good stuff yourself, and it keeps gold-sellers at bay. Likewise, you'll find that most people generally don't need more than what they have presently equipped to get the job done. Anything else is extra that's not really necessary to play the game. So...this evil kingdom builder, stealing all their poo poo, is really just taking stuff that they don't really need and it's probably stuff he can't really use.

Also, I don't understand why he's doing this -- building his no-leave empire? There's no game-mechanic-this-makes-sense concept. Unless, he's just doing it because he can. You bored? PvP enabled? Take a town and keep everyone from leaving. How much fun is that?!!

I will heartily agree that I find the main-character's point of view as a primarily support toon extremely refreshing. He likely has some nasty-rear end direct damage spells of his own, but he generally uses his augmentation spells to assist his party-mates perform better. It's a lot easier to play a subtle character like that in a horrible fashion than it is to play it well. He's obviously a really good Enchanter. Likewise, portraying that fact is insightful and different from SAO in a significant fashion. SAO didn't have magic, so that may be one of the big differences, but in SAO, sword-skill was everything. I'm glad to see something different portrayed.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to Episode 4.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Desuwa posted:

Seriously if that's the extend of the whole thing and they are planning to play it straight, I might as well stop watching this now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dan7el posted:

The kingdom builder part is a bit ridiculous too. First off, he's taking all their (the people he kills in the town) poo poo. Now, if you've played most MMO's, you'll note that all the good stuff is generally NO DROP/non-tradeable. This is because you're supposed to earn the really good stuff yourself, and it keeps gold-sellers at bay. Likewise, you'll find that most people generally don't need more than what they have presently equipped to get the job done. Anything else is extra that's not really necessary to play the game. So...this evil kingdom builder, stealing all their poo poo, is really just taking stuff that they don't really need and it's probably stuff he can't really use.
The taking is the point, not the use of the loot. The guy's just getting off on the dominance.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArchangeI posted:

You know, the show gets a lot funnier if you imagine the warlord as Elder Tale's version of Goonswarm.

In EvE term's I'd say that that bandit king is more SirMolle. The ratmen are actually Goonswarm or maybe TEST circa a year ago, and the Debauchery Tea Party is Pandemic Legion.

E: I can't decide if it's a bad thing or not that I'm immensely relieved that this show is not doing a bunch of stuff rather than doing it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

The taking is the point, not the use of the loot. The guy's just getting off on the dominance.

When I grief people in videogames actually getting the loot is just bonus. The real reason I'm doing it is to piss people off. In Hellmoo I had a big ol' pile of miscellaneous loot that I just dumped things in because I couldn't be bothered to sort it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dan7el posted:

Side note: Yes, I think it's nice that the characters have "moved on" so to speak regarding being stuck in-game, but they really haven't agonized over it much. In SAO, it took days, weeks, months and some characters never really go over being stuck in-game. Granted, the death being real thing had a huge impact, but you'd expect these guys to roll around on the ground a bit and gnash their teeth and pull out their hair...some. They just look at their screen, "Oh, the logout command is grayed out. (Sigh). I guess we're stuck in here for good! The food is horrible! Let's ride our griffons!"

I think it's important to realize that they're not actually stuck in a game. Or at least it doesn't feel like it to them. We discussed this earlier, but it was confirmed in this episode that Elder Tale is not a VR game. They're used to seeing it in low-rez polygons on the other side of a monitor. Probably using a keyboard and mouse. So rather than being the "oh no I can't log out!" situation that we're used to from other series like .hack and SAO, it's more like they were magically transported to another world that happens to resemble the game they used to play. Honestly it feels like some sort of "what if people treated real life like an MMO" commentary. The premise is weird enough for me to think of this as fantasy rather than science fiction.

quote:

Also, I don't understand why he's doing this -- building his no-leave empire? There's no game-mechanic-this-makes-sense concept. Unless, he's just doing it because he can. You bored? PvP enabled? Take a town and keep everyone from leaving. How much fun is that?!!

You answered your own question? He's just griefing. Of course this is also deeply related to the issue I brought up above. He thinks he's just playing a game, but in the context of the world it makes him look like a sociopath. Especially the treatment of NPCs, which for all we know are actually real people in this world. We don't actually know enough about what's going on to say for sure that it's just a game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 20, 2013

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Rexides posted:

Seriously if that's the extend of the whole thing and they are planning to play it straight, I might as well stop watching this now.

Well, I mean, what do you want? I feel like they're giving it appropriate weight. They aren't playing it like they need to hurry or something irreversible is going to happen (ie, death), but it is pretty harrowing to be constantly harassed and violently attacked with no escape. Especially given that, unlike Akatsuki, Serara actually looks her age (10? 12? 13? I am bad at anime ages) so you've got a little girl being bullied, harassed, and assaulted. I don't know about you, but that would give me plenty of motivation.

Just imagine if it's not you being griefed through your polygon character, but you being physically griefed. We have great fun griefing people who are far too attached to their pixels or polygons, but now you are the polygons and instead of a polygon man on a screen beating up your polygon man, it's a big, intimidating, violent man physically attacking you.

Honestly I like this more than SAO's permadeath. It gives them more levels of consequences for things. Sure, maybe the worst thing that can happen (that we've seen) is other people completely, and at least semi-permanently, taking away your agency in the world, but unlike SAO it isn't really a binary choice between being completely fine or dead.

I do wonder about Shiroe not having Nyanta on his friends list. It seems like he should be able to look at his friends list, see Nyanta in Susukino, and ask him what's going on and maybe he's seen a level 19 druid who needs help? They were both in DTP together.

I think Nyanta's got the best handle on things, though. He can't permanently stop the griefing, can't really accomplish much alone, and no one is actually dying so he's got nothing to gain by playing the hero. So he just stays out of the way of the griefers and does what he can while trying not give them even more reasons to specifically target him.

EDIT: Though really I guess nothing works for everyone. I liked this more than SAO where we know nothing short of a big, dramatic death scene is going to happen even for secondary characters. This allows them to have issues that need solving without us being able to call the writers on their bluff - it's not like Kirito, Asuna, or really any major character could have really died because the writers wouldn't let them.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 20, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dan7el posted:

You do realize that this actually happens? Like, all the time? With the anonymity of an MMO and the absence of any serious repercussion, there will always be someone who turns into a gigantic cock just because he can.

Back when Ultima Online first came out, the designers had the idea of "just let people do whatever they want". That resulted in groups sitting outside of towns and PKing anyone who left, just like we saw here, just because there was nothing preventing it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dan7el posted:

Loads of fun, just ask any WoW player who has spent time griefing players trying to level in the northern parts of stranglethorn vale. (Hint: everyone who has ever played WoW past lvl 30 :v:)

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I definately like this more than SAO, the main character is alot more likable and at the moment there does not seem to be a soppy love story.

It would be interesting to find out how exactly they are stuck in a vidya game, I hope its no where near as sinister as SAO and is just due to the launch servers going to hell or something like that.

I don't trust Cat dude, I mean who trusts a furrie anyway?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Also I just noticed.

The light spell is a glowing smiley isn't it?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dan7el posted:

I thought episode 3 was pretty dull and was seriously disappointed in it. Granted, we got to see a little bit of the cat-dude and the maid-waifu girl, but we were only teased a bit in other areas. First off, the entire episode basically involved our heroic trio entering a giant cavern and leaving it. They go in, and they come out. They appreciate a sunrise. That was the episode: Enter dungeon, leave dungeon, look at sky and sigh.
Now, try to see WHAT is important about what they just did. You are going around the point in the whoel of your post, after all.

quote:

Oh. And, they're level 90 and the highest level mob in the dungeon, but big boss, is level 68. Okay, at level 85 in WoW I was going into elite dungeons with level 68-70 elite mobs in them, and clearing out the entire dungeon solo. I am pretty sure I solo'd a level 70'ish super-elite end-boss at least once. Not only is the game-play somewhat unrealistic in that manner (although, I will grant that not all games are the same level-to-level-wise. For example, in early EQ, this would have definitely been a problem), there wasn't much tension.
LH, the game, is a 'what if Wow had never existed' MMORPG. It's supposed a couple of decades old (show is set in 2018) and it follows a more EQ line.

quote:

As said, they went from playing a game like EQ on a computer like you have probably done at one time, to then being transported into the world.

It's not "stuck into the game", it's "we are in Azeroth".

quote:

Why do people want to become Kings?

Because that's what he is doing, after all- he is making himself a city-king.

Anyway, if you hadn't seen it, the point of the third ep was to show all the differences between what's expected in a game and what's happening. This is all done to show that, yes, they are in a new world, but if they don't accept it is THEIR world fast, they are going to be in trouble.

Anyway, there are some other hints here and there, but they enter spoiler territories.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My biggest issue with the show is that we have yet to move past the "Welp, were stuck. Now what?" stage. There's no sense of a goal beyond going to that city, and only a hint of conflict. Meanwhile, there's a whole lot of neat world building with no place to go.

I really hope this hits its stride by next episode.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All the spells so far seem straight of D&D 3rd edition, how peculiar.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ViggyNash posted:

My biggest issue with the show is that we have yet to move past the "Welp, were stuck. Now what?" stage. There's no sense of a goal beyond going to that city, and only a hint of conflict.

I would agree if they hadn't acknowledged it themselves, but they did. I think the fact that their existence seems pointless right now is, itself, supposed to be the point. Right now they're trying to figure just what the hell they're going to do with their lives now. And they seem to be indicating pretty strongly that the goal - for Shiroe, at least - is going to be to stop screwing around in the cities and to go out into the world and see what's out there. And I imagine that's going to play into the reason they're stuck in the game - I'd assume whoever orchestrated the Apocalypse has an agenda for doing it, and it's either going to match up with Shiroe's goal or come into conflict with it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I don't really mind the lack of a goal so much. Whatever event that put them in the game, or more specifically the game's world, is so unbelievable and unexplainable that it might as well be "God did it." Meanwhile I was sold on this show by the promise of Maoyu level worldbuilding and that does seem to be the direction the series is headed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The whole lack of an explanation for how they ended up stuck in the game really does not bother me at this point because I assume it's one of the major mysteries of the story and will be slowly hinted at and revealed as we go on or just ignored if there are no hints as to what happened. I think the behavior of the characters is fine, if a bit unrealistic. I mean, I'd probably end up doing the same thing as they are. There are no hints as to what happened and you can't do anything about it until you do stumble across some sort of information, so you might as well just try to figure out how things work and wander around hoping to find something out. Panic is not going to do you any good after all. Helping out their friends seems like a good idea not just because it's the right thing to do but because it strengthens the bonds between them and you, and who knows when you might need their help? It also gives a good reason to get out in the world and explore a bit, possibly finding useful information.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, the author turned up on /a/. Apparently.

(translations are just what I lifted from the thread)

On the prostitute/geisha subclass:

quote:

OK,じゃ日本語で行こう。伝わらなくても許して欲しい。
95480689は橙乃ね。
〈エルダー・テイル〉において「娼姫」はとてもレアなクラスで、開発者の気まぐれで作られたようなモノだよ。
文化的な背景は話したとおり。
宮廷内での暗躍と交渉を役割としている。好感度が上がりやすい能力や、金品をランダムに得る能力を持っていたよ。ゲームだったころはね。

------------------

It's a somewhat rare class that was made up on the whim of the developer.

Prostitute class gets involved in court politics, in secret maneuvers and negotiations. Also, when they raise their skills, it's easier to get good loot.

"Second season of Maoyu when?"

quote:

商業的な結果によって製作が決まるので、それは原作者でもタッチできないんだよ……。
でもスタッフのやる気は残ってるよ!(≧∀≦)

------------------

Production (of the second season) depends on the commercial success, so I can't say even though I'm the author...

But the staff is still fired up (to do it)! ≧∀≦)

"What class would he play if he played Elder Tale?"

quote:

きっと神祇官(kannagi-shaman)をプレイするよ。
EQ2ではENCとSHMをやっていたよ。

------------------

よし、翻訳
>I'd probably play as a Kannagi/Shaman.
>I played as an Enchanter or Shaman in EQ2

"Could you tell me more about druids? I want to know more about the class and the skills, please."

quote:

http://ncode.syosetu.com/n5313bu/10/
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n5313bu/11/
ドルイドクラスについてはここに資料があるよ。
残念だけど全部を翻訳するには橙乃のパワーは小さすぎるよ。
誰かがそのうち紹介してくれると思う。

------------------

http://ncode.syosetu.com/n5313bu/10/
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n5313bu/11/
>Druids are described in detail right here.
>Unfortunately, my power is too low to translate all of it.
>I believe that someone will do it eventually.

"Is the manga any good? Only 1 chapter translated?"

quote:

コミックはどれもいいよ。
小説版のイラストレーター、ハラカズヒロ氏(ボクの友人だよ)の描くキャラはどれも魅力的。
ほかのアナザーストーリーもそれぞれ個性があるよ。
好きなキャラで選ぶと良いよ。

------------------

>The manga are good, yes
>I like how the LN's illustrator, Harakazu Hiro(a friend of mine), draws characters
>The other stories each have their own charm.
>Choose your favorite characters.

"How did you find your way here?"

quote:

日本のファンがこっそり教えてくれたのです。
4chanのスレッドにいる人はMMOが好きな人が多く、日本よりも知識が深い。MMOの本場だからと。

------------------

Japanese fans told me about it in secret
There are lots of MMO fans on 4chan, so you guys know more about it than Japan. You're the home of MMOs after all

"Who is your personal favourite character in Log Horizon?"

quote:

今書いているキャラクターです。どんなシーンでも、登場しているやつが一番好き。

------------------

Whoever I'm writing at the moment. My favorite characters are always the ones who appear in that scene.

"Can an alchemist create drinks and alcohol or is that only a brewer thing?"

quote:

どちらでも出来るよ。どんどん出来ることが増えていくよ。世界が広がる、というのがテーマの1つだよ。

------------------

He can do both. The number of things they can do increases as they progress. One of the themes is that the world is expanding.

A lot of the questions are quoted in Japanese at this point, so I have to guess what they're talking about. :v:

Regarding a TRPG that's being produced (based on the novels?):

quote:

>来年出版されるTRPGのことは何か教えてくれませんか?
ヘイトシステムがつまれるよ。
それに大物ゲームクリエイターがリプレイで登場します。

------------------

>It will include a Hate system(?)
>Oh, and a pretty big game creator is behind it

In response to general praise and thanks:

quote:

>私は本当にあなたの作品を楽しんだ。
こちらこそありがとう。沢山の人に届いて、作者もとても嬉しいよ。

------------------

Thank to you too. An author is always happy when his work can reach many people.

Regarding what he's watching this season:

quote:

>秋のアニメには、どちがすきですか?(log horizon以外)
キルラキル、京騒戯画を楽しんでいます。あとのんのんびより。

------------------

>I'm enjoying Kill la Kill and Kyousougiga. And aside from that, Non Non Biyori.

Clearly we are dealing with a gentleman of class and taste here.

Talking about... how prodigious his output is?

quote:

>こんにちは橙乃ままれさん
>あなたの文庫はすごくいい。 私は日本語よくわからないけど読むやってみて
こんにちは。編集者のベストな仕事です。

------------------

>Hello. My editors are hard at work.

On how popular the anime is in Japan:

quote:

>Log Horizonアニメが日本に人気ですか。
少し書いておきたいことがあります。
アニメはまだ三回目、人気があるかどうかはまだわかりません。
(原作者の理解しているかぎり)
このアニメを作るにあたって、NHK(日本の国営放送です)は悩みました。
日本の文化で、世界の若い人に判ってもらえるモノは何だろう?
この先十年の間共通の話題に出来るモノは何だろう?
NHKは国営放送なので、女の子が沢山出てきて短期的な人気が出る作品を望みませんでした。
多くの会議の結果このプロジェクトがスタートしました。
だから、こうして英語で会話をするスレッドが存在することが、
このアニメの成功の第一歩です。
伝わった、という意味ですからね(≧∀≦)

------------------

>Well, about that.
>The anime is on it's 3rd episode, and I still can't tell if it's popular or not.
>(as far as I can understand)
>I was a bit worried about having NHK (Japanese state-funded channel) air it.
>Does the youth of the world know about current Japanese culture?
>Do you know about the most common thing of the past 10 years?
>NHK is a state-funded channel. And I didn't want it to have a short lived popularity based around the number of girls.
>It was a project discussed in many meetings.
>So me being here conversing with the English community is one of the first steps of the anime's success
>By which I mean that it reached all of you(≧∀≦)

"Will shiroe and akatsuki date?"

quote:

アニメでもちゃんと見ることが出来るよ。
……シロエは少し臆病で鈍感かもしれないけれど。

------------------

>You can see it in the anime.
>Shiroe is a bit timid and dense, though

"Wait so he has at least 2 charcters and the second one is called 'Roetwo'?"

quote:

シロエのサブアカウントのことですか?
彼女の名前はロエ2(roe2)。
今後登場します。内緒ですよ。

------------------

>Shiroe's sub account?
>Her name is Roe2.
>She's gonna appear sometime. Keep it a secret.

"Are you considering an English release if Log Horizon will be popular or is that out of the question?"

quote:

どちらの意味の質問か、ボクの英語力じゃ確定できなかった。
1)英語版のDVDはきっとでるよ。
2)英語版の書籍は、かなり難しい。日本の本の英語翻訳は本当に売れないんだ。

------------------

>I don't really know what exactly you're asking.
>1) We'll definitely get English DVDs
>2) Getting the LNs translated into English is a bit complicated. Japanese books rarely sell when translated.

"I-im sorry for pirating your works and for being a poorfag."

quote:

立場上、あんまり大きな声じゃ言えないけれど。
気にしないで良いよ。いつかお金持ちになったら、そのときの素敵な作品を沢山買ってあげてね!

------------------

>Considering what I am, I can't really say it in a loud voice, but...
>You shouldn't worry too much. If you ever become rich, make sure to buy many great works!

"Which MMORPGS did you get inspiration from?
You mentioned Everquest2 and it looks like there's some Dungeons and dragons, are there any more?
Did you also put in something from personal, in-game, experience?"

quote:

Everquest1,2 Ultima Online Diablo1,2 他にも沢山。
FF14も素敵なゲームにしようと頑張ってると思う。
Dungeons and dragonsはred boxのころからやっているよ。

------------------

>Everquest 1/2, Ultima, Online Diablo 1/2, among many others
>I really think they're trying hard to make FF14 into a great game.
>I've been playing DnD since red box

Re sending him money directly by paypal rather than buying the DVDs:

quote:

>先生、paypalアッコウントがありますか?DVDが買えなくだが金おあげたいです。
ないよ。気にしなくてOK。「これ面白かったぜ!」っていってもらえればそれが十分援護射撃だよ。

------------------

>No. No need for that. Just saying "This was interesting!" is more than enough support.

"Are economics and world building the things that you like to write in your series?"

quote:

それは手段に過ぎないです。
僕たちが住んでいる現代の世界にとって、政治や経済は、もはや山や海と同じくらい自然で切り離せなくなりました。
中世の人が嵐や日照りに怯えたのと同じように、僕らは不況やテロに怯えて生きていかなければなりません。
そのなかで勇気を失わないで生きていく人々を描きたいです。

------------------

>They're just a means to an end.
>In the world we're living now, governments and economics are as natural as seas and mountains
>Like the people in the middle ages feared storms and drought, many of us live in fear of recessions and terrorism
>I want to write about people who don't lose courage and live on in those and similar situations

Regarding the "Rosegarden Princess"

quote:

>ローズガーデン・プリンセスってなに?と、この人が知りたいです。
小説においてはほとんど一人のキャラクターのために創作されたサブクラスです。
アニメでもそのうち登場する、怠惰なお姫様ですね。

------------------

>It's a subclass made for a single character in the LN
>She'll be in the anime soon enough. It's the lazy princess

"I hope your work will be successful. Do BD/DVD matter or are only tv ratings important?"

quote:

視聴率と、国内のファンの応援、海外のファンの応援ですね。
国営放送なので、諸外国との関係は重要なのです :)

------------------

>TV ratings and support from fans, both Japanese and otherwise
>It's state-funded, so foreign relations are important

"Do you play many games outside of MMOs?"

quote:

たくさんのゲームをプレイします。大半はテーブルゲームですけれど、ビデオゲームもかなり。

------------------

>I play a lot of games, most of them tabletops, but I don't forget video games

"Do you play Fire Emblem? Have you played Fire Emblem: Awakening? Who is your waifu?

quote:

『ファイアーエムブレム 聖戦の系譜』が好きです。嫁はアイラね。

------------------

>I like Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. Mai waifu is Ira.

On whether he has questions for foreign fans:

quote:

>我々海外のファンに何か質問あるですか?
登場人物の中で誰が好きです?
直継についてどういう評価なのですか?
作中の戦闘についてうまく理解出来ていますか?
OP&EDと、作中の音楽についてどう思います?

------------------

>Who's your favorite character?
>What do you think of Naotsugu?
>Do you understand what's explained in the battles?
>What do you think of the OP, ED and the music overall?

"Do you know of any plans to release figures of "

quote:

作者も楽しみにしてます。どこかの会社で作ってくれないかな。
どの登場人物のが欲しいですか?

------------------

>I'm pretty excited about that too. I wonder if any company would take up the job.
>What character's figure would you like?

"Touno-san, why do you do not sleep at this hour?"

quote:

MMO-playerってそういうものでしょ?

------------------

>That's part of being a MMO player

"This is truly a nyanderful day."

quote:

Yes! grate nyanderful :)

On EQNext:

quote:

>EQnextを見ませんでしたか?それはどうと思う?
すっごく楽しみにしてます。専用休暇とりたいです。

------------------

>I'm very excited about it. I'll even take an exclusive holiday

On... something to do with subclasses?

quote:

>セララと他の方々には、一生にそのクラスにいらなきゃ?それとも、クラス・チェーンジも出来る?
サブクラスは変更できますよ。

------------------

>You can change subclasses

On the thread having gone supercritical because someone decided to sticky it:

quote:

>スレは今からどんどん早く動きます
追いかけるので精一杯です(><)

------------------

>I'm doing my best to keep up (><)

But then it's all over:

quote:

みんなごめんね。
いま日本では07:15。朝食の時間になってしまいました。
今回はここで切り上げようと思います。
応援してくれてありがとうね!

------------------

>Sorry, everyone.
>It's 7:15 in Japan right now and I'm going to eat breakfast.
>I think I'll leave it at that for the moment.
>Thank you for your support!

In other news, this would appear to be some species of .gif:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really like his reaction to pirating: "Oh, I don't mind. Just remember to pay it back when you're rich!"

And apparently Shirou has a female alt character? Not really a special thing in of itself, but I'm really looking forward to see how they play that in the story.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well that was unexpected. Pretty interesting stuff and he seems like cool guy.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I like that he just randomly pops in and starts answering questions, and no one in the thread has any idea what's going on. He does seem like a pretty awesome guy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Aw, this author seems like a really cool guy. Also I somehow didn't realize it was the same person that did Maoyu - that gives me a lot of confidence that there will be lots of really interesting things going on with the world.

I wonder why he specifically wanted to know what foreigners thought of Naotsugu? Maybe worried that he comes off too pervy? So far he seems like a nice enough guy. It was kinda funny that when the guild leader started emote-ing all over him, his whole horndog persona broke down and he was just a shy average guy.

Autonomous Monster posted:

"How did you find your way to 4chan?"

quote:

日本のファンがこっそり教えてくれたのです。

------------------

Japanese fans told me about it in secret

Man, this is just a great image.

• Locked thread