Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, since my last thread god burried, I figured I'd make a fresh thread since the goals have changes a little bit:

In case you don't remember, I picked up a 1987 Coupe GT:

That I had intended to basically convert to a Coupe Quattro, I purchased a 10 valve Turbo motor to make that happen out of an Audi 200 Quattro:

Complete with rear end and transmission/front end.

Then, I picked up this bastard:

A 1986 Audi 4000 Quattro, and since everything is kind of already put together, it made more sense to go with this car and keep the Coupe GT as a...well..Coupe GT.

However, as I had already removed the engine and transmission from the Audi Coupe GT, I figure the 10 valve turbo motor can stay in the Coupe GT and the 2.3l 10:1 special motor can go into the 4000, later I'll get 20v pistons and head and turn it into a 20v Turbo motor (just need pistons, conn rods, and head)

In the meantime, I pulled the 2.2l motor which was starting to sound bad and swapped in the 2.3l motor:

That worked great for a while, the 2.3l is MUCH more peppy than the 2.2l stock motor, however, recently its decided to act up, so I'm pulling apart the motor to trace down a metallic sound that happens at mid-RPMs. After changing the clutch hoping that was the source of the problem, I'm down to tearing the motor down to trace the issue. Saddly, its sucking away my roll-cage funds for its future amateur rally career...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmCUBihS3_o

...and here we are today:

I also have a VW TDI that decided to eat a valve after an engine upgrade.

Welcome to 'Knee Deep in the Volkswagen Automotive Group'

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hooray! I'm glad some permutation of this thread is back again.

How long until you get a 5-cylinder AAF Eurovan? Crappy head, amazing bottom end...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hooray! I'm glad some permutation of this thread is back again.

How long until you get a 5-cylinder AAF Eurovan? Crappy head, amazing bottom end...

Someone was selling an 80s VW Syncro Van locally, I was kicking myself for not having bought it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
YAY! You are back! We missed you.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Was it you that moved down my way (Atlanta-ish area) or am I thinking of another VW-goon?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

Was it you that moved down my way (Atlanta-ish area) or am I thinking of another VW-goon?

It is I.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Look over the exhaust manifold really thoroughly, the I5 ones were prone to cracking.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 14, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Muffinpox posted:

Look over the exhaust manifold really thoroughly, the I5 ones were prone to cracking.

No cracks, lots of busted exhaust studs though.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Then one of the hydro lifters is probably going bad. They cause that weird idle when they do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Muffinpox posted:

Then one of the hydro lifters is probably going bad. They cause that weird idle when they do.

Replaced them all, it did fix the idle, didn't fix the noise. I'm down to pulling the valve springs and the oil pan if I don't find anything.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Replaced them all, it did fix the idle, didn't fix the noise. I'm down to pulling the valve springs and the oil pan if I don't find anything.

Well, then that is the sound of it begging for death just buy an AAN.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Muffinpox posted:

Well, then that is the sound of it begging for death just buy an AAN.

Not an option. Government shutdown means no income. And I'm not going to waste an engine.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I can now claim to be affected by the government shutdown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Government shutdown didn't stop my imported TDI head from making it all the way from the Netherlands

Just need the #1 and #2 Pistons and Conn rods and my TDI will live again after committing gruesome suicide.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that ALH head different or was it cheaper than getting it in the US?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that ALH head different or was it cheaper than getting it in the US?

Its the same head but it was $300 for it versus $400-600 other people wanted.

It is a real VW head though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Gotcha. My car had a timing 'event' before I bought it and was told it has a new head. I'm budgeting to replace the head eventually since I'm sure it's not completely kosher. $300 is about $500 lower than I'd heard of, not bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Gotcha. My car had a timing 'event' before I bought it and was told it has a new head. I'm budgeting to replace the head eventually since I'm sure it's not completely kosher. $300 is about $500 lower than I'd heard of, not bad.

http://dutchautoparts.com/

Took about a week to get from the Netherlands to here, the head looks genuine and has all the VW stamps, pretty clean too.

Came with cam, valve, lifters, everything except the timing gear and manifolds.

One of the things you can look at on your head to tell if its genuine: Look for the ribbing on the front of the head inbetween #2 and #3 cylinders, if its lacking the ribbing, you might have a Chinese knockoff.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 15, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Before

After

Cleaned up the piston deck on the Audi, this weekend I'm pulling the oil pan before I dig back into pulling the transmission.

I also have to pull the oil pan on the TDI to get some markings off the #1 and #2 connecting rods so I can order new pistons and rods. They are a matched set, so you have to replace both.

#1 and #2 are matched in weight and length, and #3 and #4 are matched as well, in reciprocating pairs to balance their unsprung weight

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 18, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Mystery noise from the Audi solved:

This was trapped in between the flywheel and the bottom half of the. You can tell its been bouncing around a lot, its well shaved down.

On the plus side, this is motivating me to get the old exhaust studs drilled out.

As for the TDI, I'm stuck I have to buy a 5mm allen head ball socket to get the bolts out of the oil pan from behind the flywheel.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Its the same head but it was $300 for it versus $400-600 other people wanted.

It is a real VW head though.

Hooooooooooooooooly poo poo. You can buy a whole goddamn engine for $300 here!

I bought a complete (disassembled) AEB 1.8T engine for £32 a while ago. The cylinder head alone is worth about 5 times that much to some people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Hooooooooooooooooly poo poo. You can buy a whole goddamn engine for $300 here!

I bought a complete (disassembled) AEB 1.8T engine for £32 a while ago. The cylinder head alone is worth about 5 times that much to some people.

1.8T you might find for $300 here....the TDI motors, even busted ones, sell from $900-$2000.

For a TDI head? A new one runs $600-800 in the US. TDI motors come at a premium in the United States.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
How tight are they torqued?
I wouldn't trust the HF ones, as the ball always snaps off.

At work I use these:
http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body32.htm

We put a cheater bar on the small end sometimes and put a lot of torque on the ball end and have yet to see one fail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

How tight are they torqued?
I wouldn't trust the HF ones, as the ball always snaps off.

At work I use these:
http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body32.htm

We put a cheater bar on the small end sometimes and put a lot of torque on the ball end and have yet to see one fail.

I don't think they are too tightly torqued. I was going to pick up a socketed one from Sears.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TDI News:

So, I've got the oil pan pulled, got the numbers off the bottom of the pistons, just gotta disassemble the rest, get the #1 and #2 pistons and rods replaced, balance the set, and off we go.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

1.8T you might find for $300 here....the TDI motors, even busted ones, sell from $900-$2000.

For a TDI head? A new one runs $600-800 in the US. TDI motors come at a premium in the United States.

I need to start exporting diesel engines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

I need to start exporting diesel engines.

Yes. Yes you do.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Would the big booger of RTV hanging off the oil pickup have anything to do with those bearings being that worn?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Would the big booger of RTV hanging off the oil pickup have anything to do with those bearings being that worn?

No, there was a little rtv in the corner of the pickup, but the vast majority of the pickup was clean and clear

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
All parts ordered for both the TDI and the Audi.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Head for the Audi is back from the machine shop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Welp, almost got everything. Just need the piston rings and we can slap the Jetta back together.

For future reference, order connecting rod bearings in sets, not pairs. Woops.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welp, new pistons with new rings going in!

Seated and torqued, headgasket in place

New head, all built up and waiting on some gasketing to dry

Head seated and torqued down, everything set to TDC and timing to slip the timing belt on

And there she is, just gotta finish hooking up hoses, slip in the injectors, re-installed the remaining parts and we'll see how she sounds in the morning.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Good luck. We need more diesels running around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Good luck. We need more diesels running around.

You'll have video in the morning, success or fail.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
What kind of dressing/sealant did you use on the head gasket that had to dry?

Cool thread, I got nothing but love for VAG

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

aventari posted:

What kind of dressing/sealant did you use on the head gasket that had to dry?

Cool thread, I got nothing but love for VAG

Wasn't the headgasket, was the coolant flange on the block.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqNzuNh4qfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By